20210308_113401 (resized).jpg
20210308_113355 (resized).jpg
20210308_113351 (resized).jpg
20210308_113238 (resized).jpg
20210308_113228 (resized).jpg
20210306_103022 (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hello,

I have a new to me Seawitch that has been tweaked to be free play. I can’t figure out what was done to it so I can undo it. When I turn the game on 50 credits magically appear. While on, the credits tick down while played but reappear after a power clear. One of the coin counters had wires added to it that went out a hole in the bottom of the cabinet. I’m sure that was some sort of an external credit button at one time. I removed that mess and check things over pretty good. I just can’t find anything else causing the credits to appear at power on. Any help should be greatly appreciated.

20210306_103022 (resized).jpg20210306_103022 (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

Have you checked if it's got some Freeplay ROMs fitted to the MPU board?

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Quench:

Have you checked if it's got some Freeplay ROMs fitted to the MPU board?

Everything in my MPU looks original. They have factory applied decals on them.

#4 3 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Everything in my MPU looks original. They have factory applied decals on them.

Pictures of the ROMs? The maximum credits per the MPU board DIP switches is 40. You can't credit up higher than that. But if the NVRAM credit value somehow became higher than 40 (corrupt) then the game can still recognise the higher number.

Try swapping U8 and U13 on the MPU board and see what happens - note this will corrupt all your audit/book-keeping settings so you'll need to redo the score award thresholds. Better if this is done with the battery disconnected.

#5 3 years ago

By 'power clear' you mean you powered it off and back on, or you reset the credits to zero (setting #5) using the MPU button? Do all of the coin switches register credits? Does it do anything weird if you reset credits to zero and then push the credit button, or same with only a few credits on it?

#6 3 years ago

Hello,
I have a new to me Seawitch that has been tweaked to be free play. I can’t figure out what was done to it so I can undo it. When I turn the game on 50 credits magically appear. While on, the credits tick down while played but reappear after a power clear. One of the coin counters had wires added to it that went out a hole in the bottom of the cabinet. I’m sure that was some sort of an external credit button at one time. I removed that mess and check things over pretty good. I just can’t find anything else causing the credits to appear at power on. Any help should be greatly appreciated.[quoted image]

Can you share some photos of your MPU, the inside of the coin door (switches & wiring), and cabinet wiring (mainly the start button wiring)?

That may reveal where the issue could be a lot faster than several questions back and forth.

#7 3 years ago

Thanks for the help. Here are some photos. I haven't moved any chips around but I did put all the dip switches back to factory default. None of my coin mechanisms coin up. Credits go down as games are played be reappear after the game has been power cycled. No matter what I do I get 50 credits on power up.

20210308_113228 (resized).jpg20210308_113228 (resized).jpg20210308_113238 (resized).jpg20210308_113238 (resized).jpg20210308_113252 (resized).jpg20210308_113252 (resized).jpg20210308_113351 (resized).jpg20210308_113351 (resized).jpg20210308_113355 (resized).jpg20210308_113355 (resized).jpg20210308_113401 (resized).jpg20210308_113401 (resized).jpg

#8 3 years ago

I just went below 40 credits by draining a couple dozen balls and my coin slots now work.

#9 3 years ago

See if your max credits are set to 40 (sounds like they are) on the dip switch settings.
Reset your credits to zero by going to setting #05 using the coin door switch and then pressing the square blue reset button on the MPU board. Then see if anything changes like if credits still keep going to 50, or go up to some other value, upon powering off and back on. If it acts normal after resetting credits to zero, perhaps it was caused by leftover junk in memory for the credits somehow.

#10 3 years ago

It doesn't look like you have any sort of 'power down' memory activated such as a battery or NVRAM?

Failure to have settings in memory at boot will cause the micro to start with random, possibly corrupted data at start.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from pins4u:

It doesn't look like you have any sort of 'power down' memory activated such as a battery or NVRAM?
Failure to have settings in memory at boot will cause the micro to start with random, possibly corrupted data at start.

I've seen this happen sometimes with missing backup battery - it powers up with the randomness that just happens to be credits for him. Once OP puts in nvram or puts a battery/memory cap on it this issue will go away.... unless one of his ram chips is bad, but that is extremely unlikely as each 5101 on stern mpu200 games holds a nibble for the memory range $200-$2ff - and that's where the stack and many more very important things on mpu200 games is kept.

I don't see any hacks on the coin door that all looks stock at a quick glance.

#12 3 years ago

I have a memory capacitor coming in the mail. I was thinking that was a possibility. I'll install it and report back.

1 week later
#13 3 years ago

The memory capacitors arrived today. I'm happy to report that once installed I was able to zero out the 50 credits and the game now operates as expected credit wise. Thanks for the help!!!
I now have two small problems left. If anybody wants to chime in I would appreciate the insight.

Problem 1) I have anti flicker boards installed in my game and they make a world of difference. Currently I have them attached to my controlled lamp wire on the backside of my backbox light board. All the controlled lamps share the same power source. When the wire for the anti flicker board is attached I loose the last light in the chain which happens to be "high score to date". It works fine when the alligator clip is removed. The line isn't long enough for me to try attaching it under the playfield. I was going to lengthen it tomorrow and see if a different power source is better. Anyway, I thought is was kind of odd.

Problem 2) My knocker doesn't work during the game. It works fine in test but not when I match or get a special. I have the dips set for it and they tone out as being good. Not sure what the problem is. Maybe the original transistor failed and it was moved over to a unused one on the driver board? I'll have to check the schematics.

#14 3 years ago

My knocker doesn't work during the game.Maybe the original transistor failed and it was moved over to a unused one on the driver board? I'll have to check the schematics.

If it works in test it won't be the driver transistor as that is also used to fire the coil in test.

#15 3 years ago

The memory capacitors arrived today. I'm happy to report that once installed I was able to zero out the 50 credits and the game now operates as expected credit wise. Thanks for the help!!!
I now have two small problems left. If anybody wants to chime in I would appreciate the insight.
Problem 1) I have anti flicker boards installed in my game and they make a world of difference. Currently I have them attached to my controlled lamp wire on the backside of my backbox light board. All the controlled lamps share the same power source. When the wire for the anti flicker board is attached I loose the last light in the chain which happens to be "high score to date". It works fine when the alligator clip is removed. The line isn't long enough for me to try attaching it under the playfield. I was going to lengthen it tomorrow and see if a different power source is better. Anyway, I thought is was kind of odd.
Problem 2) My knocker doesn't work during the game. It works fine in test but not when I match or get a special. I have the dips set for it and they tone out as being good. Not sure what the problem is. Maybe the original transistor failed and it was moved over to a unused one on the driver board? I'll have to check the schematics.

Fixed my own problems.

Problem 1 was a bad trace leading to the middle pin of Q16 on the light board.

Problem 2 was simply clearing out the rest of the garbage on my MPU from not having a battery. The knocker works as it should now.

Seawitch is now 100% functional.

#16 3 years ago

Love the feeling when you get a game back to 100%

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 69.00
Playfield - Protection
Beehive Pinball Co.

$ 45.00
Pinball Machine
Wall To Wall Pinball

Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 300.00
Cabinet Parts
Fantastic Pinball Inc.

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

4,750 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Clermont, FL
$ 10.00
3,100 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 12.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 3.00
Cabinet Parts
20eyes

$ 55.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cant-figure-out-how-to-undo-a-free-play-hack-on-seawitch?hl=wrb1977 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.