(Topic ID: 37441)

Can't decide which "A lister" to buy - update, decision has been made.

By NEW-B

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 11 years ago

I'm looking into purchasing an "A list" title. There's just a bunch of them that look so fun, and a few i've played that are. Top of my list is an AC/DC premium, however, it is just a little more than I really want to spend on one machine. I'm looking at under 5K. So my next thought is the AC/DC pro, but I lose some cool stuff . All of these titles appeal to me in some way and I just can't decide which to pursue:

AC/DC pro
    TZ
    ST:TNG
    ToM
    WH20
    TaF
    TSPP
    RBION
    IJ4 - yeah, I liked it

Also, if Metallica happens I would throw money toward that in a heartbeat.

#2 11 years ago

I just went through a similar process IJ vs. TOM vs. STTNG. STTNG is now in the SUV in the garage. For me it really came down to price vs. value vs. work required.

#3 11 years ago

Get TAF. First pin I ever bought and it's never leaving.

#4 11 years ago

With such a bold post I think you should buy them all.

Now that RIBON is an "A" list game, (cough, cough) sorry, I just could not swollow my own words

#5 11 years ago

I knew that posting RIBON as an "A" title along with at least 2 of those other games, would get someone's attention.

#6 11 years ago

RBION isn't an A game, but if you want it go for it. Maybe worry less about A games and just buy the games you want.

#7 11 years ago

I will tell you RBION is a great game! But you cant go wrong with many of those, AC/DC is great also like TAF and WH20 from the list. My suggestion is this since you really like them all, wait for a super nice example of one of them to come up and grab that. Nothing like having an above average game!

#8 11 years ago

Next post will be about the fact that there is no "real" A list of games. 3 2 1..

#9 11 years ago

The one you like

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from Propaganda:

The one you like

But he does not know if he likes them. He said he has not played them all but they look like fun.

But I think WH2O is the most fun on his list.

#11 11 years ago

AC/DC pro? Great game, but be sure you can stare at that face without tossing your cookies. Hold out for the premium.

#12 11 years ago

Buy the one you like.....my recommendation is STTNG. It is a great game and only two years ago you could get this game for 2-2.5k all day. The price in this game keeps going up. With people adding shit to it, it's not going to get any cheaper.....just my 2 cents

#13 11 years ago

So easy to be a newbie these days. Avengers pro. Play and learn, watch the market. Enjoy, Sell Avengers in six months. Get 90% of your money back. Don't get totally burned on your first pin purchase. Learn about other titles in the interim. Then revisit what to buy in six months after no major headaches in the previous six months.

#14 11 years ago

Thats why "A list" is in quotes. Most of them are what i see people consider A list, I just consider them all fun looking and they all happen to go for (most of the time) between 3-5K. I'm sure I could probably get one on the list and then trade my way through each one eventually. Thanks for the opinions

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from Propaganda:

The one you like

With a broad list like this, I think this is really your only option. Play them all, play them some more, and buy the one you best connect with.

It will come down to personal choice. For example, I have a STTNG, but I can't say I enjoy it like its the second rated game on ipdb - SM gets the most love in my collection (not on your list). For that matter, my DH might get more play than STTNG except for the fact that I have STTNG in my office.

Find a way to play all on the list and narrow it down. I have no doubt if you have some time dancing with them, you will find some on your list as not as exciting as others might make them to be (not that they aren't great titles - each just dances to a different tune). Just saying if you're looking for one out of this list I think you need to narrow it a bit first.

#16 11 years ago

TZ or STTNG. +1 on holding out for the Premium if you are going for AC/DC.

#17 11 years ago

WH2O or TZ. TZ if you want something relatively deep. WH2O if you want something fast. In my opinion, they are the two games that make the best use of extra flippers and will never leave my collection.

#18 11 years ago

TSPP would fit nicely in your collection.

#19 11 years ago

STTNG.....and then add the color DMD!

TAF is also a great choice.

Both of these tend to be really beat so it might take some searching to find a nice one.

1 week later
    #21 11 years ago

Put in my order today for an AC/DC premium, can't wait!

#22 11 years ago

TAF or TZ, can't go wrong with either. Both fun as hell and challenging. Both will hold their value so an upgrade down the line will be that much easier.

Edit: (note to self: read all the way to the bottom of the thread)

#23 11 years ago

Everyone is different. I just sold STTNG... I have access to TZ, MM, WH20, TAF, TOM and even if I didn't I wouldn't want them. That's just me... out of those listed above I would say TSPP or RBION.
    My AC/DC Prem. is on order and I can't wait

#24 11 years ago

Congratulations New-B! You're in for a real treat, AC/DC Is a great pin. Let us know what you think of it. When will it be delivered?

#25 11 years ago

TAF. Nice shots and great light show, very fun table.

#26 11 years ago
    Quoted from NEW-B:

I'm looking into purchasing an "A list" title. There's just a bunch of them that look so fun, and a few i've played that are. Top of my list is an AC/DC premium, however, it is just a little more than I really want to spend on one machine. I'm looking at under 5K. So my next thought is the AC/DC pro, but I lose some cool stuff . All of these titles appeal to me in some way and I just can't decide which to pursue:
    AC/DC pro
    TZ
    ST:TNG
    ToM
    WH20
    TaF
    TSPP
    RBION
    IJ4 - yeah, I liked it
    Also, if Metallica happens I would throw money toward that in a heartbeat.

TOM, STTNG, RBION, IJ4 are not A listers. And why do you have to get an A lister? A lister doesn't automatically mean fun. Some A lister titles are horrible and way over hyped. Some C listers blow many A listers out of the water. Why don't you buy based on experience from what you play at shows, and what YOU find are fun. I see all new sterns and B/W titles in your list only. Don't be a Bally Williams snob. Expand. try out some DE titles. I can think of at least 3 DE titles you can buy, in place of most of those on your list. And each of those 3, are better than most on there. Yet you can own all 3 for the same price. None of those games are more fun than 3 of something else.

#27 11 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

TOM, STTNG, RBION, IJ4 are not A listers. And why do you have to get an A lister? A lister doesn't automatically mean fun. Some A lister titles are horrible and way over hyped. Some C listers blow many A listers out of the water. Why don't you buy based on experience from what you play at shows, and what YOU find are fun. I see all new sterns and B/W titles in your list only. Don't be a Bally Williams snob. Expand. try out some DE titles. I can think of at least 3 DE titles you can buy, in place of most of those on your list. And each of those 3, are better than most on there. Yet you can own all 3 for the same price. None of those games are more fun than 3 of something else.

Just suggest the other titles then. Giving a lecture on pin "grades" is moot when the guy already explained that these are his "a list" games.

#28 11 years ago

Another vote for TAF and TZ was my first pin...like others have said...they hold their value extremely well and are easily upgradeable. Go to a local place if possible and put some time on several pins before making any decisions

#29 11 years ago
    Quoted from txstargazer3:

Congratulations New-B! You're in for a real treat, AC/DC Is a great pin. Let us know what you think of it. When will it be delivered?

Sounds like early march. I've played about 20 games on the premium at a local restaurant and I'm hooked.

#30 11 years ago

Really buying is subject to availability, AC/DC is available now, glad you grabbed it. Guessing it will only go up in value. But the others, when available are good options too.

I would not buy RBION, didnt like it.

#31 11 years ago

TAF or TSPP...both have a lot of lasting power and should hold value.

#32 11 years ago

RBION is an "ok" pin, it grows on you after while. Similar to DW. At first when I bought that game. Hated it. After I played it enough to know what the deleks were saying, started to really like it. Don't care for the design flaw, where the game is dependent on the ball save feature so much tho.

Don't buy based on "hold value". Your not buying for investing, your buying to enjoy. Just shop around, and when one falls in your lap cheap. that will help you with your choice. If you have the "i have to have it now" mentality. Your going to always overpay and pay these stupid going prices that fly around. Take your time, get the word out. Start putting it out locally around your area, and you'd be surprised on what you find. Sometimes you get games you never even knew you wanted.

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

All of those are games that I think are fun based off actual play, virtual pinball, or watching videos. I only called them "A listers" because of the prices.

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from NEW-B:

I'm looking into purchasing an "A list" title.

Didn't you get the memo? They're called 'Grade 1' and 'Grade 2' now...

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Don't be a Bally Williams snob. Expand. try out some DE titles. I can think of at least 3 DE titles you can buy, in place of most of those on your list. And each of those 3, are better than most on there. Yet you can own all 3 for the same price. None of those games are more fun than 3 of something else.

Totally agree, even though I use to not think so. TFTC = Major bang for your buck. GNR is pretty damn good too.

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from NEW-B:

Put in my order today for an AC/DC premium, can't wait!

Congrats, AC/DC BiB reignited my passion for pinball. Sold my Addams Family to make it happen. Best decision ever. Addams was great though, but it was time to go.

#37 11 years ago

Congrats.... Looks like a good game , played pro and the only thing I hate about it is gone and you get a lower level on the premium....

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from CaptainNeo:

TOM, STTNG, RBION, IJ4 are not A listers.

Virtually everyone (besides you of course) would say that TOM & STTNG are solid A-Listers.

How long is your A-List?

#39 11 years ago

This "A" list thing is starting to make "A" lot of us look like "A" holes.

#40 11 years ago

Congrats! You're gonna your love AC/DC.

#41 11 years ago

Nice... I think mine will be march as well

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

Virtually everyone (besides you of course) would say that TOM & STTNG are solid A-Listers.

I agree with you.

If a game has appreciated more than what you could have obtained in NIB, then how would it not be considered an "A" game. Market has then set the price.

Possibly 2 exceptions:

1. When you are talking about your personal "A" games, then Popeye can be considered A as it is your list and you can put anything want. (The OP did this by mentioning his list and including RBION and IJ4)

2. Uber-rare games that have appreciated because nobody has them. (Kingpin, Loch Ness Monster)

#43 11 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

This "A" list thing is starting to make "A" lot of us look like "A" holes.

I knew it was only a matter of time.

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from Astropin:

How long is your A-List?

I disagree. STTNG has always been a B title. Still is. Before B titles were at the 2k-2500 mark. A titles were 3k and up. Now since prices have shifted. A listers are 6k and up. B listers are 3-5900. C listers 2-3 and D are 1k-2k. F anything lower.

#45 11 years ago

STTNG is a mist I think in pinball. Amazing game...unless you absolutely rewallt hate Star Trek...still one of the best by far. I hear acdc is also just amazing though.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cant-decide-which-a-lister-to-buy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.