• Latest reply 8 years ago by xsonics2k2
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4044.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I just went to try to adjust my outlanes to the inner holes to try to avoid so many drains. The right side was easy. The left side is a problem. There is a little piece of metal that extends too close to the hole, making it impossible to insert the little bumper in the inner-most hole. Has anyone else encountered this? Any easy fix? Should I just report it through JJP's service site? I'll try to attach a picture.

IMG_4044.jpgIMG_4044.jpg

#2 10 years ago

Sorry, didn't mention this was on my WOZLE.

#3 10 years ago

You have to also adjust the metal guide. There is a hole for it too

#4 10 years ago

I mkved my post over w/o removing the plastic. the rubber post ring is squished against the metal guide, but it relocated and works fine.

#5 10 years ago

It would never occur to me to adjust my outlane posts to make the game easier than it was intended to be. PLAY BETTER!

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

It would never occur to me to adjust my outlane posts to make the game easier than it was intended to be. PLAY BETTER!

Huh? That's why they're adjustable. Sometimes it's to avoid playing frustrated.

#7 10 years ago

Like I said, PLAY BETTER!

#8 10 years ago

Wow. Tough crowd.

That left out lane is an absolute killer. I would like to see TNPLH progress carry over to your next ball if you don't complete it. Save TOTO is super easy the first time around (impossible for me the 2nd time) but I've never even come close to completing TNPLH even though more often than not I have many opportunities due to the ball-hungry left outlane.

BTW, I tried this adjustment and ran into the same problem. I have not gone through the added work of removing everything to get the plastic off and adjust the metal guide.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Not what I would call helpful....

#10 10 years ago

Just checked my audits: Left outlane drains = 1,041 and Right outlane drains = 1,002 at factory defaults. Strangely, most players, including myself seem to think the left side is brutal.

#11 10 years ago

I closed my left outlane drain and it helps quite a bit - much less frustrating. There is a ton of left-to-right ball movement (rainbow targets, bumpers, stand-up targets) in this game and few shots to bring the ball back to the flippers. I adjusted the post and the outlane - not even thinking about going back. It's funny; the first game after adjusting I got ~339,000 points and thought "well it's way too easy now". But that was just an anomaly - I haven't come close to that score since

#12 10 years ago

Has anyone tried adjusting the power of the slings? I have noticed a tendency for the ball to bounce between them a few times working its way up the playfield and eventually draining on a side. I just had this thought at work so can't test it out myself at the moment.

#13 10 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

I mkved my post over w/o removing the plastic. the rubber post ring is squished against the metal guide, but it relocated and works fine.

Quoted from markmon:

This and this^

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from PinballCharlie:

I closed my left outlane drain and it helps quite a bit - much less frustrating. There is a ton of left-to-right ball movement (rainbow targets, bumpers, stand-up targets) in this game and few shots to bring the ball back to the flippers.

This is quite true, and (with the sheer variety of shots and goals) makes WOZ more challenging and interesting than the slew of generic fan-layout games of recent years, which tend to be more repetitive/simpler/boring imo. Ramp, lane, ramp, lane, repeat, *yawn*

#16 10 years ago

I've run tape across each of the outlanes and I play MUCH better now. Thanks for the encouragement!

#17 10 years ago

If you can't play by factory settings than how sad is that? It is not the games fault if you suck at pinball. Learn how to play better instead of trying to get the game to play like an easy bake oven where your suckiness is rewarded with a minicake cooked by a 60 watt light bulb.

#18 10 years ago

Don't listen to anyone giving you crap about it.

Adjust the post and enjoy your game. I'm a big fan of getting maximum enjoyment out of them, which Varies from person to person. If taping off the Outlanes and setting it to 10 ball makes a game more fun, then do it!

#19 10 years ago

I have a 5 year old that likes to play, and gets frustrated when her ball times are very short. I appreciate the valuable advice (play better)- thanks! Good tip!

I can't see how I could "squish" the rubber bumper, the metal guide protrudes way too far over the hole. I don't want to permanently alter the metal strip, because I will likely want to move it back at some point. I put this in as a ticket on the JJP service site, I guess we'll see if they have a solution.

#20 10 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I have a 5 year old that likes to play, and gets frustrated when her ball times are very short. I appreciate the valuable advice (play better)- thanks! Good tip!
I can't see how I could "squish" the rubber bumper, the metal guide protrudes way too far over the hole. I don't want to permanently alter the metal strip, because I will likely want to move it back at some point. I put this in as a ticket on the JJP service site, I guess we'll see if they have a solution.

The game is designed such that if you want to adjust the outlane post, you must also adjust the metal ball guide. They have a hole for it's adjustment too. You have to adjust both items as it was designed. No permanent modifications have to be done. As there is a hole to move the post, so too a hole to move the metal guide.

#21 10 years ago

PLAY BETTER! - Steve Ritchie

#22 10 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

PLAY BETTER! - Steve Ritchie

Then why do Steve Ritchie's games have adjustable outlanes if that was his mantra.

#23 10 years ago

You don't actually have to move the metal lane, just loosen it. Then move the post, and tighten the metal lane back up. It will squish the rubber, but that doesn't matter.

And for those of you giving attitude to others for adjusting the difficulty of their game: Bite a fart! Nobody asked your worthless opinions to begin with.

#24 10 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

If you can't play by factory settings than how sad is that? It is not the games fault if you suck at pinball. Learn how to play better instead of trying to get the game to play like an easy bake oven where your suckiness is rewarded with a minicake cooked by a 60 watt light bulb.

The adjustable outlanes are meant to be adjusted by the operator to shorten or lengthen ball times. The tilt is also adjustable as well as the legs.

#25 10 years ago

Had to narrow up the outlanes. Figure enough casual players would tire quickly of short balls. Also set very liberal specials and extra balls. I already know I'm a lousy player. Doesn't mean I can't have big scores on MY machine.

#26 10 years ago
Quoted from Chambahz:

You don't actually have to move the metal lane, just loosen it. Then move the post, and tighten the metal lane back up. It will squish the rubber, but that doesn't matter.
And for those of you giving attitude to others for adjusting the difficulty of their game: Bite a fart! Nobody asked your worthless opinions to begin with.

Just messin' with yall. Believe me there is no attitude behind my post, just my dry humor. I could care less what someone does with their machine. I always keep mine as close to factory as possible or harder. I feel it has made me a better player. "Play Better" was obviously a quote from AC/DC which I always found amusing.

#27 10 years ago
Quoted from Rush1169:

Just checked my audits: Left outlane drains = 1,041 and Right outlane drains = 1,002 at factory defaults. Strangely, most players, including myself seem to think the left side is brutal.

... and that was in only 60 games.

#28 10 years ago

"If you can't play by factory settings than how sad is that?"

I think not knowing the difference between "then" and "than" is much more sad.

#29 10 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

Yeah, let me tell my kids to 'PLAY BETTER!' Go suck an egg with your responses. C'mon man. :p

#30 10 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Yeah, let me tell my kids to 'PLAY BETTER!' Go suck an egg with your responses. C'mon man. :p

When someone is kiddin' around its tough to see it in text.

'You sir, are a sucker of eggs.' I keed, I keed....

#31 10 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

When someone is kiddin' around its tough to see it in text.
'You sir, are a sucker of eggs.' I keed, I keed....

That's right, I'm quoting myself! Now I can go suck an egg!

#32 10 years ago
Quoted from Jeremecium:

"If you can't play by factory settings than how sad is that?"
I think not knowing the difference between "then" and "than" is much more sad.

Hey, c'mon now. Then and than is a tough one you gotta admit. It's very subtle and not as clear cut as your, you're, there, their, or they're. I mean that's basic third grade stuff. But then and than is freakin' like 5th grade stuff.

#33 10 years ago

You're all very helpful. Thanks for your advice. I had to remove quite a few screws and nuts, then loosen the green rails in order to get the plastic cover off. I could then access the screw that allowed me to move the metal rail outward slightly. There were quite a few more steps than I had expected.

#34 10 years ago
Quoted from markmon:

Man another game with "cheap drains"? lol

#35 10 years ago

Since taping off the outside lanes, I'm currently experimenting with a flexible tape prototype that attaches to each of the flippers and keeps the ball from draining down the middle. Every now and then it comes off and I have to reattach it, but I'm still working on it. I played for about 45 minutes on my first ball and scored over a million points. Thanks to vicjw66's advice, I'm playing MUCH better now. And I also found it's fun to remove the tape when friends come over so that they look at my score and say, "How the hell did you DO that???"

PS - If you believe any of this, I've got a bridge to sell you.

#36 10 years ago

I suppose I could have been more helpful and said that even though I never considered changing the posts, looking at my game I saw potential problems that might have been overlooked in the design. Although there are two holes to adjust the left outlane post, moving it to the easier position would probably require the removal of the rubber ring. The metal ball guide extends up the playfield too far to allow the post with rubber ring attached to freely fit in the right most position. You could dremel the ball guide off a quarter inch(not recommended) or drill new holes for the ball guide to sit in(not recommended) or remove rivets and make new ones(not recommended) or else play better. I never investigated further to see if the ball guides could be adjusted or the post tweaked. Apparently it can? I'll try to be more helpful and less snarky going forward.

#37 10 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

I suppose I could have been more helpful and said that even though I never considered changing the posts, looking at my game I saw potential problems that might have been overlooked in the design. Although there are two holes to adjust the left outlane post, moving it to the easier position would probably require the removal of the rubber ring. The metal ball guide extends up the playfield too far to allow the post with rubber ring attached to freely fit in the right most position. You could dremel the ball guide off a quarter inch(not recommended) or drill new holes for the ball guide to sit in(not recommended) or remove rivets and make new ones(not recommended) or else play better. I never investigated further to see if the ball guides could be adjusted or the post tweaked. Apparently it can? I'll try to be more helpful and less snarky going forward.

Nah...Snarky is ok, just make sure you are correct. Snark Snark.

#38 10 years ago

Ball guide can be adjusted, but before I knew that I just moved the post over(didn't remove anything but the post). It was a tight fit, with the rubber pressed against the ball guide, but it works fine. I might slide the ball guide over a bit someday, when I'm taking things apart.

#39 10 years ago

Not going to start a WOZ mod thread but just curious, has anybody changed sling rubbers yet? I'm considering getting some translucent rubbers there.

#40 10 years ago
Quoted from BagAJellyDonuts:

Not going to start a WOZ mod thread but just curious, has anybody changed sling rubbers yet? I'm considering getting some translucent rubbers there.

Now that sounds cool.

1 year later
#41 8 years ago

I finally adjusted the left outlane by moving the metal lane guide over to the right into the pre-drilled hole. Before adjusting the lane guide, I had squished my post into the closed position and the rubber was pinching against the metal and plastic. Now the post is adjusted into the closed position and it fits correctly.

I also moved castle playfield post to the closed position, I'm liking the adjustments so far.

I'm ready for the updated code!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 24.50
$ 225.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 115.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 199.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Burlingame, CA
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 29.99
Hardware
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 91.00
10,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
San Jose, CA
$ 85.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 43.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 16.95
Machine - For Sale
St. Clair Shores, MI
13,000 (OBO)
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cant-adjust-left-outlane?hl=mechulus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.