(Topic ID: 198902)

Can/should I disable match on Gottlieb Sky Jump Wedgehead?

By fotoboy

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 23 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by EMsInKC
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

full score (resized).JPG
GTB_AS_Relay (resized).JPG

#1 1 year ago

Hi, Im new to Gottlieb, and was wondering if there are any benefits to disconnecting the match function on my 74 Sky Jump. It is for home play, and matching just makes noise. I saw the way it is setup on the score reels and couldnt help but think that the score reels may run smoother without all that stuff. (unless, that is "mission critical" stuff that it cant live without) Thoughts??

#2 1 year ago

I just found the knocker on my Mousin Around and unplugged it. You still get the free credit but don't hear the loud noise. I do like the sound but it's too loud with people living around me.

Can you find yours?

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from fotoboy:

Hi, Im new to Gottlieb, and was wondering if there are any benefits to disconnecting the match function on my 74 Sky Jump. It is for home play, and matching just makes noise. I saw the way it is setup on the score reels and couldnt help but think that the score reels may run smoother without all that stuff. (unless, that is "mission critical" stuff that it cant live without) Thoughts??

If you don't like the noise, you can unplug the match unit, which is an AS relay connected in the lightbox by jones plugs. See picture below. Easier yet, just unplug all the single-ended plugs for the high score settings.

I don't recommend tampering with the score reel to remove the wiper or its fingers. If the reel is not operating crisply, it needs to be cleaned and rehabilitated.

My recommendation is to embrace the match feature. Getting a match is the cherry on top after a good game. Enjoy it.

AS Relay

#4 1 year ago

I hooked my 1000pt chime lead to my knocker on Hit the Deck, love the sound!

#5 1 year ago

Don't disconnect the match unit - these often affect other alternating features in gameplay. I had a sheriff without a match unit and it sucked.

Just disconnect the knocker. you don't even have to snip a wire! These usually are connected by crimp tabs and slide off. It's in the front of the cab near the chime unit.

Many EMs also have a match feature in or out jones plug. Plenty of ways to easily disable match.

(I'll agree tho - why would you?)

#6 1 year ago

So let me get this straight. You buy an EM pinball machine, with all the attendant chimes, clicking relays, stepper units, score reels, etc and you think the match makes too much noise?

The score reel operation will not change one bit.

Yeesh.

#7 1 year ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Don't disconnect the match unit - these often affect other alternating features in gameplay. I had a sheriff without a match unit and it sucked.

The match unit on Sky Jump doesn't have a switch riding the cam like it does on some games, so disconnecting it won't affect gameplay. Still, unplugging all the high score settings is probably better. Or, learn to enjoy the sound of the knocker when you get a match! It rules.

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

f you don't like the noise, you can unplug the match unit, which is an AS relay connected in the lightbox by jones plugs. See picture below. Easier yet, just unplug all the single-ended plugs for the high score settings.

I don't recommend tampering with the score reel to remove the wiper or its fingers. If the reel is not operating crisply, it needs to be cleaned and rehabilitated.

My recommendation is to embrace the match feature. Getting a match is the cherry on top after a good game. Enjoy it.

I have cleaned these guys (as much as possible with the damn thing attached to the game) and they operate ok. My real concern is the Match fingers not contacting the worn off copper and messing things up...

I guess the REAL question is... is it going to be a problem if I remove the wiper and fingers, or will it dink with the game/ score. I notice that not all of the score reels have the bakelite and copper.

[[[(the question is not, do you think I SHOULD do this... we all know that I shouldn't) I just might need to, and if its like an appendix, can I just cut it out.]]]

full score (resized).JPG

#9 1 year ago

" and if its like an appendix, can I just cut it out."

If you do, you will be removed from all EM discussion threads never to be allowed to participate again! LOL

10 point reel related to match. 1000's and 10,000 point reel related to replay scores. 100 point reel, no need for wiper PCB.

Are you sure that's worn off? It looks more like it just has some nasty deposits on it.

For most of us, the last thing we would do is start removing parts from a game and leave it how it was built for the next owner to enjoy. But in the end, its your game, your property, do with it as you see fit.

As other's have mentioned, if the knocker sound is what bothers you, simple pull one lead from the knocker coil.

#10 1 year ago

To me, cutting out a wiper PCB from a game would be far worse than say, adding a post in the middle of the playfield!

You could simply assemble it with the Push on Wiper fingers not present and place them in a zip lock bag and staple it to the inside of the head.

#11 1 year ago

LOL,
I WAS referring to cutting stuff out metaphorically, it is way easier just to pull that wiper finger out and ziplock it.

I checked the copper with a MM and results were inconclusive, tried cleaning it too, with little luck.

I am trying to figure out a problem with this score reel not resetting, I pulled the wiper fingers out and just wanted to make sure that there would be no crazy phantom events!!

[SideNote--I actually have a pin where somebody added a--cabinet door knob looking thing on both sides to prevent some drain routes! was able to reverse engineer it however!]

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from fotoboy:

I have cleaned these guys (as much as possible with the damn thing attached to the game) and they operate ok. My real concern is the Match fingers not contacting the worn off copper and messing things up...
I guess the REAL question is... is it going to be a problem if I remove the wiper and fingers, or will it dink with the game/ score. I notice that not all of the score reels have the bakelite and copper.
[[[(the question is not, do you think I SHOULD do this... we all know that I shouldn't) I just might need to, and if its like an appendix, can I just cut it out.]]]

That's not wear, it's just gunked up, because most of the areas on there that are gunked up are not subject to wear of any kind.

Use a Scotchbrite pad on that and it will come clean. After you do that use alcohol to remove any residue and it will shine like new.

#13 1 year ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

That's not wear, it's just gunked up, because most of the areas on there that are gunked up are not subject to wear of any kind.

Use a Scotchbrite pad on that and it will come clean. After you do that use alcohol to remove any residue and it will shine like new.

do these have ANY function other than [match] and [high score]?

#14 1 year ago

I hate to belabor the point...

But why not just take 20 seconds to lift your playfield, pull a crimp connector, and disable the knocker?

Or, take 25 seconds, remove the back door, and pull all the match plugs?

Are you just bored and looking for a project? It's incredibly simple to disable the knocker, or the match function, or both.

#15 1 year ago

The circuit boards are there to detect high score (on the ten-thousands and thousands reels) and matches (on the tens reel).

Removing the boards would do effectively nothing for the performance of the score reels and will diminish the value if you ever decide to part with the game.

I'll rephrase Levi's question: Why not disconnect the wire to the knocker solenoid if that is indeed the noise that bothers you approximately once every ten games? What are you trying to prove and why argue it here?

#16 1 year ago

I JUST wanted to know if scrubbing the copper would have any effect on my score reel--which is not working at the moment--just trying to eliminate potential problems from my checklist.

Boiling my original question down... its the score reel that I am having an issue with--I just hypothesized that maybe the match mechanism (which I could do without for a while) might be the problem.

ALL my other machines are Williams, and while essential operations are similar, there are nuances... (e.i. Williams match function is entirely different)

cheers

#17 1 year ago

To directly answer your question: No, the Match wiper PCB on the 10's reel has nothing at all to do with the movement of the score reel itself, other than to add a small amount of drag to its movement. But if your solenoid is not energizing, then drag is not your issue.

I don't know how you can say that the Williams match function is entirely different? Its almost exactly the same. There is a wiper disc on the 10's reel for each player position, and there is a large or mini stepper (depending on age) in the head that controls the current match position (0 through 9 or 00-90). If larger stepper, a set of contacts on the stepper controls which of the 10 lamps lights at end of game, and another set of contacts routes the match numbers to the wiper pcbs on the score reels. Same principle. If it uses a mini-stepper (introduced in the early 70's) then its basically the same but with a wiper board on one side for lamps and the one on the other is for routing the number position to the score reels.

#18 1 year ago

There are slight differences between how Williams, Bally and Gottlieb built games, but the principle is all the same, especially as it relates to the function of circuit boards on score reels. They all work the same, all have the same function.

This thread makes my head hurt. You claim you know Williams games but then buy a Gottlieb then complain that it makes noise. I don't know what you've done to your other games, but Williams games make just as much noise as a Gottlieb, in some cases more if they have the big bell in them that you can hear down the street when it sounds.

You're trying to solve an issue by searching in the wrong place. You need to find why the coil for the score reel isn't functioning. You need to put your multimeter on resistance and take a reading on that coil. If it's under 1 ohm, it's toast, if it's above that, it's fine. Then you have to work back through the circuit, on a schematic, and find what fires the coil under reset, and under game play. And you have to make sure you have the switches on the reel properly set so the game will reset and the motor stop. Your other reels will show you the proper position at 0, at 1-8, and at 9, since you said they all reset ok.

It's one thing if you know nothing about EMs, but claiming you know Williams games and acting like Gottlieb is a foreign language isn't going to get it, because while there are differences, again, the principle of game function is exactly the same.

#19 1 year ago

Do you mean the sound of the knocker is annoying? If so, wow! That's the best sound in pinball! There should be a small plug and socket for disabling the match feature. Most replay games have it. I guess the match feature is ok, but being primarily an add-a-ball guy,
I think it introduces an element of pure luck rather than skill, into winning.

#20 1 year ago
Quoted from EMsInKC:

That's what I often do, but you can also use Brasso, or even Mother's Mag Polish on the copper traces. I'd dab on a bit of Teflon grease after cleaning. Just an extremely thin coating.

#21 1 year ago

I love hearing the knocker after playing a great game. Love hearing it when I'm winning credits. I also wished all my machines still accepted quarters.

#22 1 year ago

My Williams 21 has the loudest knocker. Last night I had a match, and I was turning away when it went off. I thought I got shot!

#23 1 year ago
Quoted from presqueisle:

My Williams 21 has the loudest knocker. Last night I had a match, and I was turning away when it went off. I thought I got shot!

I have a Williams Ding Dong that, when I bought it, didn't have a knocker. I didn't even think of it, but when I got it in and played a test game and ran it over the high score setting, all I got was the click of the credit unit stepping up. So I took a look, which in this game is way the hell back in the upper left corner of the cab, and no knocker. Just wires. Another of those unexplainable things. Who knows, maybe someone locked it up and it burned up and they just cut it out.

It's a 25v game so I just ordered the whole assembly for a Gottlieb knocker from PBR. I installed it and when I tested it, damn thing sounds like a .45 automatic going off. I mean it is LOUD. Way louder than any of the knockers on my Gottlieb games. By far the loudest knocker on anything I own. I swear you can feel the cab vibrate when that thing goes off.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
$ 279.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Tabor, NJ
$ 399.95
$ 279.95
$ 39.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 209.99
Lighting - Led
PinballBulbs
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside