Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by mbaumle
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

Cannot get my translite glass to come out. came with another Key but do not think it's right
Key will go in but not turn

How do I go about freeing up the translite lock?

#2 5 years ago
Quoted from tbird71:

Fastest- drill it out and replace the lock.
Wiggle the key every which way until it catches just right and works
Pick the lock
Slowest-Find the right key

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from tbird71:

Cannot get my translite glass to come out. came with another Key but do not think it's right
Key will go in but not turn

You didn't specify which game but it sounds like it doesn't have exposed screws on the lock's mounting plate... If they're there you can unscrew them to get the head open, might need a security torx bit or a pair of pliers.

#4 5 years ago

Operation: Thunder it's on there.
No exposed screws

#5 5 years ago

Yeah, drill it out.

#6 5 years ago

What size bit should I use on it?

#7 5 years ago

Try pushing down a little on the backglass bottom trim piece. It may fit tight and it could be putting pressure on the top latch. I have a game that is snug, and if you push down on the backglass, the key will turn.

#8 5 years ago

I did that. Bottom backglass trim is all the way down.
Funny thing IS, I have had this off before last year, I remember
tightning up the lock inside probably got it jammed somewhere
I got the drill ready as soon as I find out the proper bit
locks are cheap enough

#9 5 years ago

I use a 1/8 to start, then 1/4 and go up until lock turns

Or use the brute method, start with a 3/8 and hope it does it. Depends on cheapness if lock.

#10 5 years ago

Thanks.

#11 5 years ago

I just had to drill out a lock on a recent game purchase. I’m sure there’s a more refined/better/proper way, but I used a rather large bit, and drilled along the top and bottom of the keyhole (since it was double bitted). Let the drill do the work, and don’t push too hard or torque to fast. I broke the drill bit in the lock and it took way too much effort to pull it out. What a pain that was.

Go slow and steady, checking often if you can turn the lock with a large flathead screwdriver. Since you’re mangling the brass lock springs, you might need to crank on the screw driver kinda hard to get it to turn.

It’s a bit of a pain, but it’ll work. Good luck.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cannot-get-translite-glass-to-come-off-lock-wont-turn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.