Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by dung
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

Shopping my Pinball Magic. This is the second one I have done now. I pulled the mylar as it was damaged. There are a dozen inserts that are raised and I cannot get them to budge.

I am using a hair dryer to heat them up. I have tried using the 12 inch c-clamp / block. I have tried using a hammer/socket. The damn things refuse to move. I had the opposite problem on my last PM as they fell out without heat, just slight finger pressure. I have leveled inserst on a half dozen games and have never run into this. The inserts are glued with what appears to be thick silicone. It is slightly stretchy when cold, very pliable when hot. I have tried scraping off all that I can, but no change.

Any ideas? Any chance the wood has swollen locking them in place?

*Edit*

So far 2 inserts will not move. I have others that I can just use finger pressure/no heat and they will slide into place so I can glue them.

#2 7 years ago

Freeze the inserts?Just throwing the idea out there.

#3 7 years ago

My DE Star Wars is that way. Hopefully someone will chime in with a solution.

#4 7 years ago

I think freezing would work better than heat. Freezing should have a shrinking effect. Would also make them more brittle though, which could be trouble when trying to tap them out.

#5 7 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

I think freezing would work better than heat. Freezing should have a shrinking effect. Would also make them more brittle though, which could be trouble when trying to tap them out.

That concerns me, one already has a small crack. Not that noticeable since it is covered in artwork, but it was there before i started. My only thought right now is to dig some of the wood out around the insert to relieve pressure, but would be a lot of work to do right.

#6 7 years ago

I use a cheap harbor freight heat gun. Works wonders -- but you have to be careful not to melt anything or burn the wood on the back of the playfield.

#7 7 years ago

agree with post above. try a heat gun instead of hair dryer.

#8 7 years ago

Freezing will almost for sure result in a broken insert !!

#9 7 years ago

I extrapolated to freezing as well...but freezing the whole field. When wood shrinks holes get bigger. But the squeeze may not be worth the juice...or something

#10 7 years ago

If you use a heat gun remember to hold that tbing back more than a hairdryer, taking a break for few seconds so you dont shrink that insert into liquid. Did someone reglue them in?

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinterest:

I use a cheap harbor freight heat gun. Works wonders -- but you have to be careful not to melt anything or burn the wood on the back of the playfield.

I think the would is just really swelled on these two.

PS Please respond to my pm about the pistol poker roms. Never heard back

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cannot-get-inserts-to-budge and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.