ricou june 2019 sm (resized).jpg
email sent (resized).jpg
ted van gogh U (resized).jpg
cm all three (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Orders are falling off.....need another push...
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

which vol. has the most Julie Adams pics?

#15 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Vol 1 and 2 have a lot. Vol 2 (in color) also has an interview with Julie. (and other Creature people)!
[quoted image]

I think I saw you had some Ben Chapman stuff, and I’m sure there are Ricou pictures. Millicent Patrick? She’s the real knockout

#17 5 years ago

Ok you got me truth is, I meant to order these 2 weeks ago

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

There was a number of posed shots with Ben as the Creature. Some were with Julie. (color where he's carrying her) and some with the stand in (BW where he's dipping her)

There’s a great story she tells about those color photos where she just goes off about how WAY off the creature colors are. It did not have bright red Elvira lips and the green was more muted apparently

#26 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Yes...she's great! Still a spitfire!
[quoted image]

Well I’ll never get the chance to meet Ben but there’s still a chance Julie will make it to a horror con near me some day! Hell, I met Stan Lee so there’s a chance!

#35 5 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

I would imagine he has some of the original poster art as well....

He has such a huge collection, he put it out on tour last year. He had some REALLY cool stuff. Some of the stuff Ted has posted is equally as cool - that photo up there is all collector's stuff, I believe Kirk also bought a couple of things from Forry's estate, and from Bob Burns, which is INCREDIBLE. Hope to visit Bob's house one day...

#37 5 years ago

Got my books in the mail yesterday, and thank you so much Ted!! You get so used to seeing those same promo pictures over and over again (e.g Karloff having tea, Frederic March and the breakfast biscuit) and I think I have not seen easily 3/4 of these! I’ve been collecting and reading monster stuff since I was 6 and I thought I’d seen it all!

I love the interviews too, there are some great gets in there! I think Ray is my favourite...

To my surprise, I think the TV one is my favourite volume - I had just forgotten how much I loved the Munsters, and I am pulling out our Outer Limits DVD’s tonight. Not enough Twilight Zone, but I wonder if such a thing is possible?

I have a very cool encyclopaedia of Toho posters from a major publishing house which has been my “major find” for years now, but I really think these are better. Thanks Ted, wow!

2 weeks later
#46 5 years ago

Just to hijack your thread here for a second, Ted - I wanted to post a couple of snaps of some art a friend of mine, D-tritus (https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=2169922003037808&id=100000600894487&set=a.375663639130329&source=44)

made. I am not a pro photographer so hopefully you can make these out, I dont have the greatest lens for small stuff like this, but I think they are amazing

0DFFA068-83C3-45AA-959B-13A45891E692 (resized).jpeg0DFFA068-83C3-45AA-959B-13A45891E692 (resized).jpeg1ADBA39A-6F9D-442F-BA81-7F12F28C098F (resized).jpeg1ADBA39A-6F9D-442F-BA81-7F12F28C098F (resized).jpeg74D3B5F4-B2F8-47B9-8228-7CE7E4395005 (resized).jpeg74D3B5F4-B2F8-47B9-8228-7CE7E4395005 (resized).jpeg920178DF-0952-4CBB-BDB7-1A1381651A55 (resized).jpeg920178DF-0952-4CBB-BDB7-1A1381651A55 (resized).jpeg9C8A8998-C0D9-490F-BE72-7C611218C05B (resized).jpeg9C8A8998-C0D9-490F-BE72-7C611218C05B (resized).jpegBA65BFDD-0F90-446D-B850-AD750252EF51 (resized).jpegBA65BFDD-0F90-446D-B850-AD750252EF51 (resized).jpegCE570219-C9B3-428E-83E5-BF31D43C027E (resized).jpegCE570219-C9B3-428E-83E5-BF31D43C027E (resized).jpegD602D12B-F519-4FF5-9A64-6C510F287958 (resized).jpegD602D12B-F519-4FF5-9A64-6C510F287958 (resized).jpegE2E264AD-C3B1-4401-9F39-6F8E479CF46C (resized).jpegE2E264AD-C3B1-4401-9F39-6F8E479CF46C (resized).jpegF3F82DED-A39A-431F-BCA5-C0043D0FAF26 (resized).jpegF3F82DED-A39A-431F-BCA5-C0043D0FAF26 (resized).jpegFCD67ECC-218B-48DE-B7D0-C2C63FA14A9A (resized).jpegFCD67ECC-218B-48DE-B7D0-C2C63FA14A9A (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#52 5 years ago

IS that an original one-sheet? that is amazing

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Don't tell me that Kong and Forbidden Planet are original first runs.....

That Kong looks like it's from the 1952 re-release, but Ted would have to confirm

#61 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Yes, Forbidden Planet is an original Title Lobby Card signed by both Leslie and Anne!
I'm not home, but I believe the Kong Lobby is from 1956. (there is one for sale at $1,200 if you want it) [quoted image]

Freaking awesome movie. Both of them. Have you guys seen the Kong 2005 special feature where WETA recreated the spider scene! (I’m sure it’s on youtube)

It is a) amazing they were able to put it together from a few photos and a tiny piece of negative and b) it looks like it could just be cut right into the film!

#62 5 years ago

Oh man I just remembered - Ted, the other day I saw you in a documentary Brinke Stevens made a few years ago called “Shock Cinema”, you were on a panel talking about a variety of things - really cool surprise! I’ll watch anything with her in it

#65 5 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

By the way Rdoyle, just watched your avatar. What a great film that is. I never realized how short it is. Say what you want about Chaney, but he makes that film.

Hear hear! Dracula is even shorter - I think it’s 71 minutes!

#66 5 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Yeah, it was pretty good, but I think they might have gone a bit too far in the animation. But the clothes, lighting, and production all are spot on and took a lot of time to do.
Kong is just a great film, the multi level pane glasses used, the production, the effects...everything worked on that film.
Ted's collection of title cards is probably valued at what Roger Corman's budgets were back in the day.

Haha, wish I could have worked for Corman, and learned how to squeeze every single cent out of a budget! Ever hear the story about how they made “The Terror”? Corman has 2 days of Boris Karloff’s time on the books, so he threw a script together, filmed all the stuff, edited it -realized it didn’t make any sense(!) - so he gets Jack Nicholson to do a couple expository scenes. I love that story ! Lol

Still waiting for that Deadly Spawn pin, Ted!!

2 weeks later
#72 5 years ago

Haha love that Evelyn Ankers pic above

2 months later
#80 5 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Ted
What do you know of Dwight Frye? What did you hear about it? I always wondered if there was a backstory somewhere, hence the Alice Cooper song.
Also - did any of the old timers talk about Clive? There isn't much about him either, but what there is, sounds like he was pretty brutal.

The Alice song is more about Fritz, his character in Frankenstein. Dwight Frye is awesome - supporting player in several of the original Universal monster movies. Specifically Dracula and Frankenstein. And right there you can see his versatility. When I was a kid, not having seen Son of Frankenstein until much later - I never understood why they kept calling Igor "Fritz"

#83 5 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

Cool - thanks.
What about Colin Clive?

LOL dude Wikipedia

#86 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

My friend Julie (Creature From the Black Lagoon) died a few days ago. Very sad as she was a delight to be around. Now only Ricou is left from the original Creature!
[quoted image][quoted image]

How did I miss this ??!!? That is really a shame. Both her and Ben were such great people. Glad Ricou is still kicking!

3 weeks later
#93 5 years ago

Huh? I'm still on post 89

#106 5 years ago

While we wait for Vol 4... I found out about this book which was published yesterday - on the creature’s 65th birthday no less!

http://www.harlequintradepublishing.com/shop/books/9781335937803_the-lady-from-the-black-lagoon.html

#108 5 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Hey! My books are up for a Rondo Award! You can help by voting for CANDID MONSTERS!
(you don't have to vote for everything. You can just vote for #13 Book of the Year if you want...)
Also #29 and #30 Ted A. Bohus
Thanks!!!
Hello classic horror fan,
If you're getting this, you're considered a friend of the Rondo Hatton Classic Horror Awards, now in their (Gasp!!) 17th year. Below is this year's ballot (if you've already voted sorry, and please ignore this).
Voting is easy: Simply hit 'REPLY' and the ballot will be ready to send to me (David Colton) at [email protected]
You can mark your picks with an X, or highlight with a color or type out your choices or however you want to designate your picks. YOU DO NOT have to vote in every category. Vote for one, several or all.
The deadline is Sunday night at midnight, April 20, 2019.
One vote per person, please. Every e-mail must include your name to be counted. All votes and emails are kept strictly confidential.
Again, TO VOTE hit reply and e-mail your picks to [email protected]
BELOW IS THE OFFICIAL BALLOT FOR THE
(GASP!) 17TH ANNUAL RONDO HATTON CLASSIC HORROR AWARDS
1) BEST FILM OF 2018
-- ANNIHILATION
-- BIRD BOX
-- HALLOWEEN
-- HEREDITARY
-- INSIDIOUS: THE LAST KEY
-- MANDY
-- MARY SHELLEY
-- THE NIGHT EATS THE WORLD
-- THE NUN
-- A QUIET PLACE
-- SUMMER OF ‘84
-- SUSPIRIA
-- TRUTH OR DARE
-- UPGRADE
-- YOU WERE NEVER REALLY HERE
-- Or write in another choice:
2) BEST FANTASY OR ACTION FILM
-- AQUAMAN
-- ANT-MAN AND THE WASP
-- AVENGERS: INFINITY WAR
-- BLACK PANTHER
-- DEADPOOL 2
-- FANTASTIC BEASTS: THE CRIMES OF GRINDELWALD
-- THE HOUSE WITH A CLOCK IN ITS WALLS
-- JURASSIC WORLD: FALLEN KINGDOM
-- THE MEG
-- OVERLORD
-- PACIFIC RIM
-- RAMPAGE
-- READY PLAYER ONE
-- SOLO: A STAR WARS STORY
-- SPIDER-MAN: INTO THE SPIDERVERSE
3) BEST TV PRESENTATION
-- AMERICAN HORROR STORY: APOCALYPSE, ‘Boy Wonder, 10.10.18, FX. Classic characters from ‘Coven’ return. Stevie Nicks, too. ‘Have we learned nothing from Attila the Hun? Herod the Great? Mark Zuckerberg? Men make terrible leaders.’
-- ASH VS. EVIL DEAD, ‘The Mettle of Man,' 4.29.18. Starz .A heroic Ash takes on the deadites in a final battle royal. ‘Oh great! I’ve doomed humanity.’.
-- BLACK MIRROR, ;Bandersnatch,’ 12.28.18, Netflix. Viewers get to choose crucial plot points. ‘You are just a puppet. You are not in control.’
-- CASTLE ROCK, ‘Severance,’ 7.25.18, Hulu. Shawshank is setting for series based on Stephen King’s works. ‘In my experience, the dead aren’t particular.’
-- CHANNEL ZERO: BUTCHER’S BLOCK, ‘Sacrifice Zone,’ 3.15.18, SyFy. A creepy pasta led to this unnerving finale. ‘Our god has many angels. We promised her to him, but she got away.’
-- THE CHILLING ADVENTURES OF SABRINA, ‘An Exorcism in Greendale,’ 10.26.19, Netflix. A demon inhabits Uncle Jesse. ‘Mephistopheles, save us from the dramatics of a teenage witch.’
-- DOCTOR WHO, ‘Rosa,’ 10.21.18, BBC. The 13th Doctor and her friends meet Rosa Parks. ‘She changed the world. In fact, she changed the universe.’
-- THE GOLDBERGS (Yes, the Goldbergs), ‘Mister Knifey-Hands,’ 10.24.18, ABC. Robert Englund makes rare appearance as Freddy. ‘Not anymore, Mr. Kroeger.’ ‘Krueger! It’s Krueger!’
-- THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE, ‘The Bent-Neck Lady,’ 10.12.18, Netflix. A family reunion is shocked by a childhood spectre.. ‘We take care of the house. The house takes care of us.’
-- STAN AGAINST EVIL, ‘Larva My Life,’ 11.7.18, IFC. Town falls victim to 50s sci-fi and kaiju monsters. ’Your ex-husband is here and he’s turning into a caterpillar.’
-- STAR TREK DISCOVERY, ‘Despite Yourself,’ 1.7.18, CBS Access. The crew finds itself in a mirror universe. ‘Intelligence suggests we’re not the first ship from our universe to find ourselves here.’
-- THE TERROR, ‘We Are Gone,’ 5.21.18. AMC. Season finale finds death and acceptance in the Arctic. ‘Our empire is not the only empire. I see that now.’
-- THE WALKING DEAD, ‘What Comes After,’ 11.4.18, AMC. Rick confronts ghosts from the past. ‘One could argue it’s my family you’re looking for, right?’
4) BEST CLASSIC DVD/BLU-RAY
-- COLOSSUS: THE FORBIN PROJECT (Shout)
-- CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE (Shout)
-- ELVIRA, MISTRESS OF THE DARK (1988, Arrow)
-- INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956, Olive)
-- LADY FRANKENSTEIN (Nucleus)
-- LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT (Arrow)
-- LIQUID SKY (Vinegar Syndrome)
-- MATINEE (Shout)
-- THE MAZE (3-D, Kino)
-- MISADVENTURES OF BIFFLE AND SHOOSTER (Kino)
-- NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (Criterion)
-- THE NIGHT STALKER (Kino)
-- REVENGE OF THE CREATURE 3-D (Universal)
-- THE SPIRAL STAIRCASE (1946, Kino)
-- THE THING FROM ANOTHER WORLD (1951, Warners)
-- TRILOGY OF TERROR (Kino)
-- VILLAGE OF THE DAMNED (1960; Warners)
5) BEST BOX SET
-- THE AMICUS COLLECTION (Severin): Asylum, And Now the Screaming Starts, The Beast Must Die, Vault of Amicus (extras disc).
-- THE BLOOD ISLAND COLLECTION (Severin): Terror Is A Man; Brides of Blood; Mad Doctor of Blood Island; Beast of Blood.
-- CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON: Complete Legacy Collection Blu-Ray (Universal): Creature from the Black Lagoon 3-D, Revenge of the Creature 3-D, The Creature Walks Among Us
-- HAMMER VOLUME 3: BLOOD AND TERROR: Terror of the Tongs, Stranglers of Bombay, Camp on Blood Island, Yesterday’s Enemy. (Indicator)
-- NIGHT OF THE DEMON/CURSE OF THE DEMON (Indicator). Includes four presentations of the film.
-- 100 YEARS OF HORROR. Complete TV series. (Mill Creek)
-- THE OUTER LIMITS, Vol. 1 and 2 (Kino) All 49 episodes on two sets, plus extras.
-- ROGER CORMAN RUSSIAN SCI-FI COLLECTION: Battle Beyond the Sun; Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet; Voyage to the Planet of Prehistoric Women; Planeta Bur (Planet of Storms) (Bayview)
-- UNIVERSAL CLASSIC MONSTERS: Complete 30-Film Collection Blu-Ray (Universal)
-- WILLIAM CASTLE AT COLUMBIA: Volume One, Two: Tingler, 13 Ghosts, Homicidal, Mr. Sardonicus; Zotz!; 13 Frightened Girls; Old Dark House; Strait-Jacket (Indicator)
6) BEST RESTORATION OR UPGRADE
-- DRACULA A.D. 1972: Brighter and richer colors. (Warners)
-- THE GHOST OF SIERRA DE COBRE: Resurrection of lost TV pilot from 1965 by Outer Limits creators. (Kino)
-- LADY FRANKENSTEIN (Nucleus): Two versions of film replace poor transfers of past.
-- LUCIFER’S WOMEN/DOCTOR DRACULA: Both versions (1974/197 )f lost occult film unearthed. (Vinegar Syndrome)
-- THE MAZE: 3-D version of 1953 film. (Kino)
-- NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD: Definitive 4K presentation (Criterion)
-- THE NIGHT STALKER: HD upgrade from TV prints.
-- THE PSYCHOPATH (1966): First time in widescreen (Kino)
-- REVENGE OF THE CREATURE: Long-awaited 3-D version (Universal)
-- THE TINGLER (Indicator): 35mm negative restores stereo surround, fake monochrome during bloody bathtub scene.
7) BEST DVD EXTRA
-- THE ADDICTION (Arrow). ‘Talking with the Vampires,’ documentary by directpr Abel Ferrara.
-- BERSERK: Film critic Pamela Hutchison tracks Joan Crawford’s career. (Indicator)
-- THE BONEYARD (Deep Red): ‘The Little Ghoul Grows Up,’ interview with Sallie Middleton by associate producer Phil Smoot.
-- CANDYMAN: Director’s UK cut of the 1992 film. (Scream Factory)
-- CURSE OF THE CAT PEOPLE: ‘Lewton’s Muse: The Dark Eyes of Simon Simone,’ by Constantine Nasr (Shout)
-- THE FOG COLLECTOR’S EDITION: ‘Retribution: Uncovering John Carpenter’s The Fog,’ directed by Daniel Griffith. (StudioCanal; UK)
-- HAMMER VOLUME 3: ‘Women of Hammer’ profiles of Mary Merrall, Edwina Carroll, Jan Holden, Yvonne Monlaur. (Indicator)
-- INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS: ‘Sleep No More, Invasion of the Body Snatchers Revisited,’ including interviews not seen for decades. (Olive)
-- JACK THE GIANT KILLER: Includes full musical version. (Kino)
-- LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT: ‘The Craven Touch,’ interviews with Wes Craven collaborators. (Arrow)
-- OUTER LIMITS, Vol. 2: Two alternate episodes: ‘Please Stand By’ (alternate pilot); and ‘The Unknown,’ pilot for a spinoff. (Kino)
-- THE TINGLER: Imaginary Biology: Kim Newman’s appreciation (Indicator)
-- NIGHT OF THE DEMON: Scott MacQueen interviews Dana Andrews. (Indicator)
-- NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD: ‘Night of the Anubis,’ a work print of film. (Criterion)
-- ROBERT A. HEINLEIN’S THE PUPPET MASTERS: ‘The Puppet Grand Master,’ a look at Heinlein’s influence. (Kino)
-- VAMPIRE AND THE BALLERINA: 10-minute 8mm version of the film from the 1970s. (1960; Scream Factory)
-- THE VIRGIN SUICIDES (Criterion) Interviews with director Sofia Coppola, Kirsten Dunst, Josh Hartnett.
8 ) BEST COMMENTARY
-- Bill Ackerman, Amanda Reyes, LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT (Arrow)
-- Samm Deighan, Kat Ellinger, MR. SARDONICUS (Indicator)
-- David DelValle, David DeCoteau, THE KILLING KIND (Vinegar Syndrome)
-- Tony Earnshaw, NIGHT OF THE DEMON (Indicator)
-- Lee Gambin, Emma Westwood: STRAIT-JACKET (Indicator)
-- Steve Haberman, David J. Schow, Constantine Nasr, STRAIT-JACKET (Scream Factory)
-- Troy Howarth: Lucio Fulci’s ZOMBIE (Blue Underground)
-- Tim Lucas: THE NIGHT STALKER, NIGHT STRANGLER (Kino)
-- Kim Newman, Stephen Jones: CANDYMAN (Scream Factory)
-- Jonathan Rigby, Kevin Lyons, THE TINGLER (Indicator)
-- David J. Schow: THE GHOST OF SIERRA DE COBRE (Kino)
-- Imogen Sara Smith, THE SPIRAL STAIRCASE (Kino)
-- Richard Harland Smith, INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956, Olive)
-- Nathaniel Thompson and Howard S. Berger, MAD DOCTOR OF BLOOD ISLAND (Severin)
-- Tom Weaver, Dr. Robert J. Kiss THE WASP WOMAN (Kino)
9) BEST PACKAGE OF DVD EXTRAS
-- BASKET CASE (Arrow) New commentary, new interviews, documentary and animated short.
-- CANDYMAN (Shout) Two new commentaries plus a disc of interviews, features.
-- CREEPSHOW (Shout) New commentaries, roundtable, interviews.
-- EXORCIST II: THE HERETIC (Shout) Two disc-set includes three new commentaries (one by director John Boorman), two cuts of film, Linda Blair interview, more.
-- FLOWERS IN THE ATTIC (Arrow): Commentary, interviews, two versions of script.
-- HAMMER VOLUME 3: BLOOD AND TERROR (Arrow): Commentaries, new featurettes on each film, essays.
-- INVASION OF THE BODY SNATCHERS (1956, Olive). New interviews, commentary, essay plus archival interviews with stars never before released.
-- LAST HOUSE ON THE LEFT (Arrow): Three discs include different versions, CD soundtrack, new features.
-- MISADVENTURES OF BIFFLE AND SHOOSTER: (Kino) Commentary, 1962 ‘interview,’ outtakes, bloopers, ‘Vitaphone short,’ Spanish outtake.
-- NIGHT OF THE DEMON/CURSE OF THE DEMON (Indicator): Nine features on making and impact; interviews; commentaries.
-- NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD (Criterion): Five new features, new interviews 16 mm dailies, work print, plus archival material.
-- NIGHT STALKER/NIGHT STRANGLER (Kino): Twin releases feature new commentaries, interviews, booklets.
-- OUTER LIMITS Vol. 1 and 2 (Kino): 49 remastered episodes, two lost pilots, dozens of features, interviews, alternate cuts, 42 individual commentaries.
-- THE VAULT OF AMICUS (Severin): Trailers, commentaries, and four hours of audio interviews.
-- WHO CAN KILL A CHILD (Mondo Macabro): documentary, interviews, alternate opening and commentary.
-- WILLIAM CASTLE AT COLUMBIA (Vols, 1 and 2): Seven commentaries, alternate versions of two films, interviews, Joan Crawford ‘axe test.’ (Indicator)
10) BEST INDEPENDENT FILM (limited release, direct to video, festivals, streaming services)
-- ALL THE CREATURES WERE STIRRING, directed by David and Rebekah McKendry. A collection of grim Christmas tales. See trailer here
-- BLACK WAKE, directed by Jeremiah Kipp. Lovecraftian monsters from the sea. See trailer here.
-- CAM, directed by Daniel Goldhaber. A cam girl finds herself with unexpected competition. See trailer here.
-- GUNS OF THE APOCALYPSE, directed by Christopher Mihm. A sci-fi spaghetti mix of a Western. See trailer here.
-- IMITATION GIRL, directed by Natasha Kermani, An ooze from outer space morphs into a cover girl. See trailer here.
-- LIVESCREAM, directed by Michelle Iannatuono. The loneliness and dread of a gamer. See trailer here.
-- POSSUM, directed by Matthew Holness. A puppeteer loses control of his fantasies. See trailer here.
-- THE RANGER, directed by Jenn Wexler. Punk sensibilities drive a slasher thriller. See trailer here
-- REVENGE, directed by Coralie Fargeat. A blood-soaked stalking follows the unspeakable. See trailer here.
-- SATAN’S SLAVES, directed by Joko Anwar. Ghosts haunt an Indonesian family. See trailer here.
-- TALES OF FRANKENSTEIN, directed by Don Glut. Four takes on the classic monster. See trailer here.
-- TIGERS ARE NOT AFRAID, directed by Issa Lopez. Horrors stalk the drug cartels. See trailer here.
-- THE WITCH IN THE WINDOW, directed by Andy Mitton. Terror at a house in the country. See trailer here.
11) BEST SHORT FILM
-- BE US, directed by Alex DiVincenzo (6 mins.). An uneasy interrogation about an alien encounter. See video here
-- BRIDE OF FRANKIE, directed by Devi Snively (19 mins.). Scientist builds a mate for her mentor’s creature. See trailer here
-- HAIR WOLF, directed by Mariama Dialio (12 mins.). In comedy, a black hair salon is drained of culture. See trailer here
-- HELLBOUND, directed by Stephen Seiber (15 mins.). Teenage demon hunter finds more than expected. See trailer here.
-- HOP FROG, Octoberpod (19 mins.). Illustrations by Nic Calavera propel telling of Poe’s 1849 short story. See video here.
-- THE HOUSE OF SEVEN GABLES, directed by Ben Wickey (27 mins.). Animated version of Hawthorne classic. See trailer here
-- THE INVADERS, directed by Mateo Marquez (7 mins.). A future of Islamophobia takes a horrific turn. See trailer here.
-- LADY M, directed by Tammy Riley-Smith (12 mins.). Aging actress conjures up Shakespearian magic. See trailer here
-- THE LUCKY SOUTHERN STAR, directed by Mitchell and Steve Danyon (21 mins.). Julie Adams stars as ‘grandma’ in a retelling of her life. See trailer here.
-- LUNCH LADIES, directed by J.M. Logan, produced by Clarissa Jacobson. Going to bloody lengths to become Johnny Depp’s chef (19 mins.). See trailer here
-- PUPPET MASTER, directed by Hanna Bergholm (15 mins.). A woman so lonely she becomes inanimate. See trailer here.
-- THE QUIET ROOM, directed by Sam Wineman (13 mins.). A demon stalks the psyche ward. See trailer here.
-- SUPER 8 DAZE, directed by Rob Hampton and John Morgan (14 mins.). Documenting a childhood of making backyard monster movies. See video here.
-- VENEFICA, directed by Maria Wilson (8 mins.). A young witch must choose between good and evil. See trailer here
12) BEST DOCUMENTARY
-- ALL EYES ON LENZI: Life and Time of the Italian Exploitation Titan, directed by Calum Waddell. The career of Italy’s grindhouse maestro. (Part of 88 Films’ Eyeball Blu Ray)
-- CHESLEY BONESTELL: A BRUSH WITH THE FUTURE, directed by Douglass M. Stewart Jr. A look at the foremost astronomical artist of the 20th Century. See trailer here.
-- CLARK ASHTON SMITH: The Emperor of Dreams, directed by Darin Colho Spring. Revisiting the worlds and contemporaries of the famed fantasy writer. See trailer here.
-- FROM CALIGARI TO HITLER: German Cinema in the Age of the Masses, directed by Rudiger Suchsland. TCM airing of seminal study of pre-war German cinema and culture. See trailer here.
-- HAMMER HORROR: The Warner Bros. Years, directed by Marcus Hearn. Inside stories of the horror team-up that helped save Hammer. See trailer here.
-- SURVIVAL OF THE FILM FREAKS, directed by Bill Fulkerson, Kyle Kutchta. The evolution of the cult film phenomenon. See trailer here
-- TOO MACABRE: The Making of Elvira, Mistress of the Dark, produced by Tony Timpone, Michael Krueger, and Sven Thomas Weber. Up front with the real story behind the 1988 cult classic. See trailer here.
-- WOLFMAN’S GOT NARDS, directed by Andre Gower. How ‘The Monster Squad’ reveals the power of a cult film. See trailer here.
13) BOOK OF THE YEAR
-- CANDID MONSTERS: Behind the Scenes Photos & Interviews from Your Favorite Monster Movies, Vols. 1-3, by Ted Bohus (CreateSpace, softcover, 114-122 pages, $24.95-$29.99). A lifetime of rare photos, stills and interviews.
-- THE DR. PHIBES COMPANION, by Justin Humphreys (BearManor Media, softcover, 274 pages, $24.95). Finding the horror, romance and humor of the Vincent Price films.
-- FANTASTIC WORLDS: The Art of William Stout, by Ed Leimbacher (Insight, hardcover, 304 pages, $75). The images and impact of an all-time illustrator.
-- FOUND FOOTAGE: How the Astro-Zombies Saved My Life and Other Tales of Movie Madness, by Joe Kane (CultMachine, softcover, 222 pages, $15). The Phantom of the Movies
recalls the grindhouse days on 42nd Street and beyond.
-- FRIGHTFEST GUIDE TO GHOST MOVIES, by Axelle Carolyn (FAB Press, softcover, 240 pages, $24.95). Reviews of cinema’s most spectral visions.
-- GHOULISH: The Art of Gary Pullin, by Gary Pullin with commentary by April Snellings (1984 Publishing, hardcover, 228 pages, $29.95). Covers, posters, albums and more.
-- GOOD NIGHT, WHATEVER YOU ARE: My Journey with Zacherley, the Cool Ghoul, by Richard Scrivani (BearManor Media, softcover, 226 pages, $24.95). Revised and expanded edition.
-- HAMMER COMPLETE: The Films, The Personnel, The Company, by Howard Maxford (McFarland, hardcover, 992 pages, $95). Mammoth look at the studio’s entire output, musicals, too.
-- HARRYHAUSEN: The Movie Posters, by Richard Holliss (Titan Books, hardcover, 192 pages, $39.95). Posters and unseen promotional material from Joe Young to Titans.
-- THE HOWLING, by Lee Gambin (Centipede Press, softcover, 350 pages, $35). Examining Joe Dante’s werewolf classic.
-- HUMAN BEASTS: The Films of Paul Naschy, by Troy Howarth (CreateSpace, softcover, 344 pages, $49.95). Career retrospective of Spanish horror icon.
-- IF I ONLY HAD A BRAIN: Scarecrows in Film and TV, edited by Lee Gambin (Cinemaniacs, softcover, 242 pages, $21.50). Essays that go far beyond Oz.
-- IN SEARCH OF MARY SHELLEY: The Girl Who Wrote Frankenstein, by Fiona Sampson (Pegasus, hardcover, 328 pages, $28.95). 200 years after.
-- JAWS 2: The Making of the Hollywood Sequel, by Michael A. Smith (BearManor Media, softcover, 530 pages, $29.95). Mammoth update and expanded edition, this time in color.
-- JOURNEY OF THE LIVING DEAD: At Tribute to Fifty Years of Flesh Eaters, by Arnold T. Blumberg (ATB, softcover, 327 pages, $19.95). Decades of media transformed.
-- THE 1990s TEEN HORROR CYCLE: Final Girls and a New Hollywood Formula, by Alexandra West. (McFarland, softcover, 195 pages, $29.95). How cinematic vengeance became empowerment.
-- 1930s HORROR MOVIE SCRAPBOOK, VOL. 2, by Gary J. and Susan Svehla (Midnight Marquee, softcover, 300 pages, $25). A horror cycle told through pressbooks, photos, news clippings and more.
-- ONE MAN CRAZY: The Life and Times of Colin Clive, by Gregory William Mank (Midnight Marquee, softcover, 378 pages, $30). The definitive look at horror’s most tortured scientist.
-- SCREAMING FOR PLEASURE: How Horror Makes You Happy and Healthy, by S.A. Bradley (Coal Cracker Press, softcover, 288 pages, $19.99). The secret connections that make being terrified a balm for the soul.
-- SCRIPTS FROM THE CRYPT NO. 8: ATOMIC SUBMARINE, by Tom Weaver with Robert J. Kiss, David Schecter, Karen Latham Everson, Richard Heft (BearManor Media, softcover, 224 pages, $25). A deep dive into 1959 classic.
-- THE SONS OF GODZILLA: From Destroyer to Defender, From Ridicule to Respect (1955-1995), by Peter H. Brothers (CreateSpace, softcover, 432 pages, $19.55). The non-Honda and modern sequels examined by a kaiju expert.
-- SPIRITS OF THE DEAD (Histoires Extraordinaire), by Tim Lucas (PS Publishing, hardcover, 232 pages, $29). The European trilogy of three Poe stories reconsidered 50 years later.
-- THRILLS UNTAPPED: Neglected Horror, Science Fiction and Fantasy Films. 1928-1936, by Michael R. Pitts (McFarland, softcover, 348 pages, $49.95). Remembering nearly 150 lost or forgotten films.
-- WE DON’T GO BACK: A Watcher’s Guide to Folk Horror, by Howard David Ingham (Room 207 Press, softcover, 411 pages, $25). Witches, bigfoots, swamp creatures and wicker men.
-- THE WEIRDEST MOVIE EVER MADE: The Patterson-Gimlin Bigfoot Film, by Phil Hall (BearManor Media, softcover, 120 pages, $14.95). The strange but true story behind the infamous Sasquatch footage.
-- WHERE MONSTERS WALKED: California Locations of Science Fiction, Fantasy and Horror Films, 1925-1965, by Gail and Raymond Orwig (McFarland, softcover, $49.95). Venturing beyond Bronson’s Canyon.
-- WONDERLAND, edited by Emma McRae with Alexandra Heller-Nicholas for Senses of Cinema (Thames & Hudson, softcover, 218 pages, $46) Essays and illustrations trace the movie adventures of Lewis Carroll’s Alice.
-- YOU DON’T KNOW ME, BUT YOU LOVE ME: The Lives of Dick Miller, by Caelum Vatnsdal (Arbeiter Ring Publishing, hardcover, 344 pages, $29). Biography of the ubiquitous B-movie character actor.
14) BEST MAGAZINE of 2018
— Cinema Retro
— Classic Monsters of the Movies (UK)
— The Dark Side (UK)
— Delirium
— Famous Monsters of Filmland
— Fangoria
— Filmfax
— Freaky Monsters
— G-Fan
— HorrorHound
— Little Shoppe of Horrors
— Mad Scientist
--- Midnight Marquee
— Monster!
— Monster Bash
— Phantom of the Movies’ Videoscope
— Rue Morgue
— Scary Monsters
— Scream (UK)
— Screem
— Shock
— We Belong Dead (UK)
— Or write in another choice:
15) BEST ARTICLE (Please select two)
-- ‘Ape-Ocalypse Then: Excavating Beneath the Planet of the Apes,’ by John Harrison, WENG’S CHOP #11. How the ape world ended, with a bang.
-- ‘The Beauty Who Created A Beast,’ by Brian J. Robb, THE DARK SIDE #190. The unsung career of Millicent Patrick, makeup wizard behind the Creature of the Black Lagoon.
-- ‘The Birds: A HorrorHound Retrospective,’ by Jason ‘Jinx’ Jenkins, HORRORHOUND #72. The making and marketing of Hitchcock’s classic.
-- ‘The Cool Ghoul Invades Hollywood,’ by Jan Alan Henderson, FILMFAX #152. A personal account of Zacherley’s rare trips to Los Angeles.
-- ‘The Creeper Chronicles,’ by Tom Weaver, CLASSIC IMAGES #521. Behind-the-scenes of Rondo Hatton’s five films for Universal.
-- ‘Dracula in the Seventies: Prints of Darkness,’ by Steve Vertleib, Thethunderchild.com. Restored version of an original article on the Christopher Lee vampire cycle.
-- ‘Fear Is Family,’ by Andrea Subissati, RUE MORGUE #182. Package of features on roots and impact of Hereditary.
-- ‘The Fly: Kurt Neumann’s Reinvention of Science Fiction,’ by Nige Burton, CLASSIC MONSTERS OF THE MOVIES #12. How a genre came of age.
-- ‘Halloweens to Remember: Creature Features Never to Forget,’ by Spence Connolly, SCARY MONSTERS #110. A personal journey through horror.
-- ‘Hammer Genesis: This Is How It All Began,’ by Denis Meikle, LITTLE SHOPPE OF HORRORS #40. The influence of the Carreras and Hinds families.
-- ‘A History of Planet Film Productions,’ by Christopher Gullo, MIDNIGHT MARQUEE #80. The obscure British horror company.
-- ‘Horrors of the Holy,’ by Jess Peacock, RUE MORGUE #180. How religion propels horror films.
-- ‘Insidious Insects Invade,’ by Mark C. Glassy, PhD., SCARY MONSTERS #107. The creepy truth behind those giant bug movies.
-- 'Journey to the Lost World,' by Martin Arlt, MAD SCIENTIST #33. Revisiting the 1925 stop-motion classic.
-- ‘A Man for All Reasons: A Personal Tribute to Richard Hatch,’ by Brad Linaweaver, Mondocult.com. A remembrance of Battlestar Galactica star.
-- ‘Master of Puppets’, and ‘How to Slit Your Own Throat,’ by Preston Fassel and Tate Steinsiek, FANGORIA Vol. 2, #1. Exploring Puppet Master: The Littlest Reich.
-- ‘Memories of Haruo Nakajima,’ by Tim Bean. G-FAN #118. The Godzilla suit actor in words and photos.
-- ‘Metamorphosing Monsters: Reprobates in Disguise,’ by Jamie Jones, CLASSIC MONSTERS OF THE MOVIES #13. The loss of humanity as the root of all horrors.
-- ‘Monsters in the Living Room,’ Parts 1-3, by Jim Ivers. SCARY MONSTERS #109-111. A decade-by-decade look at horror on television.
-- ‘The Mummy in Australia,’ by Daniel Best, MONSTER! #33. Real-life murder surrounded the Kharis films in the 1940s.
-- ‘The Price of Candy: The Making of Never Take Sweets from a Stranger,’ by Constantine Nasr, LITTLE SHOPPE OF HORRORS #40. Examining one of Hammer’s grimmest tales.
-- ‘Ray Harryhausen: A Fan’s Remembrance,’ by L.J. Dopp, MondoCult.com. A career retold through the memories of his films.
-- ‘Second Swings: The Unseen Chainsaw Massacres,’ by William S. Wilson. FANGORIA Vol. 2, #1. Through newly-discovered story treatments, the sequel that never was.
-- ‘Suspiria: The Real Magick of Dario Argento,’ by Kat Ellinger, SCREAM #51. Why the original survives as a genre classic.
-- ‘Universal’s First Mad Scientist,’ by Kurt McCoy, SCARY MONSTERS #110. Revealing Prof. Singleton in 1915’s ‘The Eleventh Dimension.’
-- ‘Universal’s Inner Sanctum Series,’ by Pedro de Queiroz, WE BELONG DEAD #20. Tracking the Lon Chaney Jr. mysteries.
-- ‘Unleashing the Hounds of Zaroff,’ by Jon Towlson, THE DARK SIDE #196. The making, and cutting, of The Most Dangerous Game..
-- ‘Vitriolage: The Power of Facial Disfigurement in Genre Cinema,’ by Chris Herzog, SCREEM #35. The stuff of nightmares, but rarely discussed.
-- ‘We Are the Martians Now: The Making of Quatermass and the Pit,’ by Bruce G. Hallenbeck, LITTLE SHOPPE OF HORRORS #40.
-- ‘When Danforth Ruled the Earth: The Making of Hammer’s Second Dinosaur Epic,’ by Mark Wolf,’ LITTLE SHOPPE OF HORRORS #41. More than stop-motion went into When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth.
-- ‘Who Created Kong?’ by Neil Pettigrew, THE DARK SIDE #191. Comparing Edgar Wallace’s first draft to what ended up on screen.
(Feel free to select two articles from above list)
16) BEST INTERVIEW (award goes to interviewer)
-- Sam Arkoff and James Nicholson, 1958 interview by Philip Scheuer. MONSTER BASH #33.
-- Ricou Browning by Holly Interlandi, FAMOUS MONSTERS #290.
-- Jamie Lee Curtis, by Michael Gingold, RUE MORGUE #183.
-- Eddie Deezen, by Scott Voisin, VIDEOSCOPE #107.
-- Fred Dekker (director of NIGHT OF THE CREEPS), by Josh Merritt, THE DARK SIDE #189.
-- Samantha Eggar, by Terry & Tiffany DuFoe, VIDEOSCOPE #106.
-- Harlan Ellison, expanded 1997 interview on Outer Limits, by Dana Marie Andra, MONSTER! #33.
-- John Karlen (Dark Shadows), by Rod Labbe, SCARY MONSTERS #108.
-- Cassandra Peterson (Elvira), by Sam Irvin. SCREEM #36.
-- Lance Reddick (Lost, Fringe), by Jessie Hobson, cinedump.com.
-- Marli Renfro (body double in Psycho shower scene), by Anthony Petkovich, FILMFAX #152.
-- Eli Roth (House With a Clock in its Wall), by Jessica Dwyer, HORRORHOUND #72.
-- Russell Streiner, Judith O’Dea, John Russo, Kyra Schon (NOTLD), by Dr. Gangrene, SCARY MONSTERS #110.
-- Victoria Vetri by Michael Augustine Reed. LITTLE SHOPPE OF HORRORS #41.
17) BEST COLUMN
-- Art-House Video by Nancy Naglin, VIDEOSCOPE
-- CineDump Interviews by Jessie Hobson.
-- Dr. Gangrene’s Mad Interviews, SCARY MONSTERS
-- Files from the Black Museum: A Cultural Autopsy of Classic Horror, by Paul Corupe, RUE MORGUE
-- Grey Matters, by Richard Schellbach, Mondo Cult Online
-- It Came from Bowen’s Basement, John Bowen, RUE MORGUE
-- Kaiju Korner by Mike Bogue, SCARY MONSTERS
-- Monsters! Monsters! Everywhere! Behind-the scenes photos with Al Pictori. FILMFAX.
-- Overlooked in Hollywood, by Laura Wagner, FILMS OF THE GOLDEN AGE
-- Ralph’s One and Only Traveling Reviews, Richard Klemensen, LITTLE SHOPPE OF HORRORS
-- Rondo Remembers, by Ron Adams, MONSTER BASH
-- Strange Days by Jason Strangis, SCARY MONSTERS
-- They Came from the Crypt, Jon Kitley, HORRORHOUND
-- TV Terrors by Felix Vasquez Jr., bloodydisgusting.com
18 ) BEST COVER
Little Shoppe of Horrors #41
by Jeff Preston
19) BEST WEBSITE
-- Anatomy of a Scream Inclusive horror views and Grim magazine.
-- Birth.Movies.Death Where movies are everything.
-- Bloody Disgusting Tracking the latest across all of horror’s platforms.
-- CineDump Interview, reviews and always something of interest.
-- Classic Horrors Club Navigating the ‘Five Ages of Classic Horror.’
-- Classic Movie Monsters One of the original castles of Frankensteins.
-- Collecting Classic Monsters Masks, models, all things collectible.
-- Collinsport Historical Society Keeping Barnabas Collins and friends eternal.
-- Daily Dead Breaking news and an all-service horror site.
-- Diabolique Magazine For those who take horror seriously; also home of Daughters of Darkness..
-- Dread Central Horror’s front page.
-- Dr. Gangrene's Mad Blog Nashville’s multilmedia horror host.
-- Dwight Frye Appreciation Group More than hunchbacks and madmen.
-- File 770 Long established science fiction fandom and scholarship site.
-- Final Girl Stacey Ponder’s cinema survival guide.
-- Graveyard Shift Sisters Women of color embrace horror.
-- Haunted Cinema Articles and interviews of horror.
-- Horror and Sons From classics to modern horrors, reviews and more.
-- Horror-Movies.ca Scare news from the North.
-- The Horrors of It All Horror comics of the 50s lurk here.
-- It Came From ... Musings by David Weiner, nostalgia curator.
-- Latarnia Fantastique International Home of Euro and world horror.
-- Kindertrauma The things that scared you as a kid, reborn.
-- Miskatonic Institute of Horror Studies A global curriculum of horrific studies.
-- Mondo Cult Horror is just part of the edgy culture here.
-- Monster Kid Clubhouse A gathering place for classic horrors.
-- Monster Magazine World A visual feast of a newsstand.
-- John Kenneth Muir Musings on horror, culture and cult TV.
-- Ravenous Monster Devouring all things monstrous.
-- Scared Silly Paul Castiglia’s tribute to classic horror comedies.
-- SciFi Japan Many experts at Earth’s kaiju headquarters.
-- Serial Squadron Soon-to-be non-profit, a vital resource for chapter plays.
-- Sin Street Sleaze John Harrison walks the backstreets of horror.
-- Terror from Beyond the Dave A singular version of horror madness.
-- Universal Monster Army Ultimate destination for models, toys, collectibles.
-- Video WatchBlog Tim Lucas on the magic of cinema, music and life.
-- Women in Horror Month Resources and links reach far beyond February.
20) BEST MULTIMEDIA SITE (Podcasts, videos…)
-- BETWEEN LIGHT AND SHADOW Twilight Zone episodes dissected.
-- BLOODBATH AND BEYOND For everything horror.
-- BLUMHOUSE SHOCK WAVES Podcast of Galluzzo, Kane and McKendry.
-- B-MOVIECAST Long-running podcast still a force.
-- COUNT GORE DE VOL’S CREATURE FEATURES Weekly webcast from a horror host original.
-- THE CREATURES FEATURES SHOW A Bay Area classic reborn.
-- CULT RADIO A GO-GO! Pioneers of the horror-talk genre.
-- DAMN DIRTY GEEKS Hollywood pros, fans and comics rave about horror.
-- DOCTOR OF THE DEAD Podcast of zombies, for zombies, by zombies.
-- EERIE LATE NIGHT RADIO Bone Jangler and Halloween Jack hold forth.
-- FLICKS THAT THE CHURCH FORGOT The religious undertones of horror.
-- FRANKENSTEIN MINUTE Podcast dissects 1931 film, yes, minute by minute.
-- GILBERT GOTTFRIED’S AMAZING COLOSSAL PODCAST Laughs and plenty of monster talk.
-- HELLBENT FOR HORROR Smart podcasts with authors and talent.
-- THE HOMICIDAL HOMEMAKER ‘Where Home Economics Meets Horror’
-- HORROR HAPPENS RADIO SHOW Jay K, the Ghost and horrors.
-- HORROR MOVIE PODCAST Serious talk about horror and film.
-- HORRORNEWS.NET Reliable and timely.
-- THE HYSTERIA CONTINUES Podcast slashes away at slasher movies.
-- KAIJUCAST Godzilla’s early warning system.
-- MADE-FOR-TV MAYHEM Amanda Reyes focuses on television horrors.
-- THE MIDNIGHT MOVIE For 20 years, the home of midnight chillers.
-- MONSTER KID RADIO Derek Koch hosts and interviews on classic monsters.
-- THE MONSTER CHANNEL Horror hosts galore, presented by Eerie Late Night.
-- MST3K REVIVAL LEAGUE A fan-based podcast of parodies.
-- NASCHYCAST Rod Barnett & Troy Guinn talk all things Naschy.
-- NIGHT OF THE LIVING PODCAST A legacy of horrors from Cincinnati.
-- POE FOREVERMORE RADIO THEATER Audio versions of macabre classics.
-- POST MORTEM WITH MICK GARRIS Interviews with filmmakers and more.
-- THE PROJECTION BOOTH Horror and film from high above the balcony.
-- RAY HARRYHAUSEN PODCAST Stop-motion talks from the Ray Harryhausen Foundation.
-- SCORED TO DEATH: THE PODCAST J. Blake Fichera’s interviews with composers.
-- SCRM RADIO All things horror, pasta too.
-- SIX FOOT PLUS Digging up spooky talk and music.
-- TRAILERS FROM HELL Joe Dante and gang comment on vintage trailers.
-- TWILIGHT ZONE PODCAST There’s the podcast up ahead.
-- THE VORTEXX Home of horror hosts and more.
21) FAVORITE HORROR HOST
-- Arachna of the Spider People (Beware Theater)
-- The Bone Jangler (and Enchantress Nocturna)
-- Karlos Borloff (Monster Madhouse)
-- Joe Bob Briggs (The Last Drive-In)
-- Count Gore De Vol (Creature Feature: The Weekly Web Program)
-- Count Gregula’s Crypt
-- Dr. Paul Bearer (Tombstone Tales)
-- Dr. Gangrene Presents
-- Dr. Madblood’s Manor
-- Elvira, Mistress of the Dark
-- Fritz the Nite-Owl (Nite Owl Theater)
-- Bobby Gammonster (Monster Movie Night)
-- Ghoul a Go-Go (New York)
-- Gruesome Graves (Haunted Hotel)
-- Halloween Jack’s Haunted Theatre
-- Halloween Harvey (Festival of Fear)
-- Nigel Honeybone (The Schlocky Horror Picture Show, Australia)
-- Ivonna Cadaver (Macabre Theatre)
-- Lamia, Queen of the Dark (Horror Hotel)
-- Lord Blood-Rah (Nerve Wrackin’ Theatre)
-- Marlena Midnite (Midnight Mausoleum)
-- The Midnight Movie (Ohio)
-- Miss Misery (Movie Massacre)
-- Mr. Lobo (Cinema Insomnia)
-- The Mummy and the Monkey (Hairy Scary Hangout)
-- Al Omega (Creature Features, San Francisco)
-- Penny Dreadful (Shilling Shockers)
-- Son of Ghoul (Ohio)
-- Svengoolie (Berwyn)
-- Vincent Van Dahl (Creature Features, Chicago)
-- Or write in another favorite host
22) BEST CONVENTION
— BLOB FEST (Phoenixville, Pa.)
— CHILLER (Parsippany, NJ)
— CINEMA WASTELAND (Strongsville, Oh.)
— CRYPTICON (Seattle)
— CTHULHUCON (Portland, Ore.)
— DAYS OF THE DEAD (Indianapolis)
— DRAGONCON (Atlanta)
— FLASHBACK WEEKEND (Rosemont, Il.)
— G-FEST (Rosemont, Il.)
— GHOULARDIFEST (Cleveland)
— HORRORHOUND WEEKEND (Cincinnati)
— HORROR REALM (Pittsburgh)
— MAD MONSTER PARTY (Arizona, South Carolina)
— MONSTER BASH (Mars, Pa.)
— MONSTERFEST (Chesapeake, Va.)
— MONSTER-MANIA (Cherry Hill, NJ)
— MONSTERPALOOZA (Burbank)
— MONSTERAMA (Atlanta)
— ROCK AND SHOCK (Worcester, Ma.)
— SCAREFEST (Lexington, Ky.)
— SCARES THAT CARE (Williamsburg, Va.)
— SPOOKY EMPIRE (Orlando)
— STOKERCON (Providence, R.I.)
— TEXAS FRIGHTMARE WEEKEND (Dallas)
— WONDERFEST (Louisville)
— Or write in another choice:
23) TOP EVENT OF 2018
-- Rick Baker given Frightmare Achievement Award at Monsterpalooza. Surprise guests include Slash, David Naughton and John Landis.
-- Blob Panic Re-enactment recreates panic at same theater in Pennsylvania.
-- Dawn of the Dead celebrates 40th anniversary at Monroeville Mall where it was filmed, including placement of memorial bust.
-- Halloween 40th celebration in Pasadena draws most cast members ever.
-- Ray Harryhausen inducted into Visual Effects Society Hall of Fame.
-- Tobe Hooper online tribute organized by F This Movie Podcast.
-- Gregory Mank lectures on life of Colin Clive at Monster Bash.
-- Monsters & Merriment art show included 1910 Frankenstein and tribute to Jerry Lentz. Nashville.
-- Radio Theatre’s H.P. Lovecraft Ten tales get radio treatment live on stage.
-- Amanda Reyes’ lecture, 'Big Scares on the Small Screen: A Brief History of the Made-for-TV Horror Film,' at Miskatonic Institute of Horror Studies, NYC.
-- Scripts Gone Wild table reading of Gremlins.
-- Slaughter Awards, honoring UK horror, unveiled at DarkFest in London.
-- Women in Horror Month features short films throughout February.
24) BEST COMIC BOOK
-- THE CREEPS: Recreating the Warren magazine experience. (Warrant)
-- CULT MOVIE COMICS: A B-Movie Horror Memoir #1, by Matt Bradshaw. A life at the movies. (Gerbil with a Jetpack)
-- EDGAR ALLAN POE’S SNIFTER OF TERROR. Parody stories from the master. (Ahoy Comics)
-- GREAT SCOTT: THE RARE IMAGINARY COMIC BOOK COVERS OF LARRY BLAMIRE. What-if artwork from a fevered mind. (Bookaroonie Press)
-- HARROW COUNTY: Cullen Bunn and Tyler Crook explore the backroad horrors of America. (Dark Horse)
-- HAUNTED HORROR, Craig Yoe, Clizia Gussoni and Steve Banes. Keeping the horror comics of the 1950s alive. (IDW)
-- INFIDEL by Pornsak Pinetshote and Aaron Campbell. Xenophobia fuels creatures in a building. (Image)
-- SACRED CREATURES: Klaus Janson, Pablo Raimondi. Archetypes of horror wage war. (Image)
-- TALES FROM THE BLACK CIRCLE, by Sam Hart and Trevor Markwart. Stories of Norwegian Heavy Metal. (Corpse Paint)
-- THE WALKING DEAD, by Robert Kirkman and Charlie Adlard. The undead eternal. (Image)
25) BEST CD
-- Alien 3 expanded soundtrack (LaLa Land)
-- Bram Stoker’s Dracula expanded soundtrack (La LaLand)
-- Halloween (2018 ) John Carpenter and sons update the score.(Sacred Bones)
-- The Haunting of Mary Shelley, Victorian chamber metal music by Valentne Wolfe.
-- Mandy, by the late Johann Johannsson (Lakeshore)
-- Valley of Gwangi Complete Jerome Moross soundtrack (Intrada)
-- John Williams' Dracula: The Deluxe Edition (Varese Sarabande)
-- Thom Yorke's Suspiria 2018 soundtrack (XL).
-- You Were Never Really Here soundtrack by Jonny Greenwood.(Lakeshore)
WRITE-IN CATEGORIES
26. BEST WRITER OF 2018 (includes reviewers)
27. BEST ARTIST OF 2018 (all formats, including paint, sculpt, photo or design)
28. BEST FAN ARTIST OF 2018 (The Linda Miller Award)
Advisory categories
(Help suggest who should be selected in the following two categories)
29. MONSTER KID OF THE YEAR (Who did the most to advance the cause of classic horror scholarship, film preservation or genre fun).
30. AND FINALLY, THE MONSTER KID HALL OF FAME
— Which fans, pros, writers, researchers, horror hosts or others should be inducted into the Rondo Awards Monster Kid Hall of Fame?
Suggest up to six names of folks who have helped fandom grow.
Previous inductees are listed alphabetically below.
ALREADY INDUCTED ARE: Forrest J Ackerman, Julie Adams, Rick Baker, James Bama, Calvin Beck, Stephen Bissette, Paul and Jackie Blaisdell, Ron Borst, Ray Bradbury, Bob and Kathy Burns, Bill Cardille, Ben Chapman, Frederick S. Clarke, Jim and Marian Clatterbaugh, Roger Corman, Joe Dante, Jack Davis, David Del Valle, Gary Dorst, Dennis Druktenis, William K. Everson, June Foray, Mark Frank, Frank Frazetta, Bob Furmanek, Ghoulardi, Don Glut, Basil Gogos, Archie Goodwin, Alex and Richard Gordon, Count Gore De Vol, Ray Harryhausen, Mike Hill, Del and Sue Howison, Cortlandt Hull, Larry Ivie, Sara Karloff, Ken Kelly, Dick Klemensen, Verne Langdon, JD Lees, Bob Lemon, Jessie Lilley, Lux Interior, Tim and Donna Lucas, Gregory Mank, Jose Mojica Marins (Coffin Joe), Ray Meyers, Mark Miller, Morgus, Ted Newsom, Haruo Nakajima, Paul Naschy, Greg Nicotero, Cassandra Peterson (Elvira), Bobby ‘Boris’ Pickett, Don Post Studio, Mark Redfield, Gary Don Rhodes, German Robles, George A. Romero, Ed ‘Big Daddy’ Roth, Vince Rotolo, David J. Skal, Richard Harland Smith, John Stanley, Michael Stein, Bhob Stewart, William Stout, George Stover, Gary and Sue Svehla, Robert Taylor, Sammy Terry, Vampira, Steve Vertlieb, Dennis Vincent, Mike Vraney, Bill Warren, James Warren, Tom Weaver, Michael Weldon, Bob Wilkins, Bernie Wrightson, and, of course, Zacherley
—————————————————————————————
Whew! That’s it. Remember, you don’t have to vote in every category and write-ins and comments are accepted.
REMEMBER TO INCLUDE YOUR NAME; E-MAIL YOUR PICKS TO [email protected]
AGAIN, TO VOTE simply copy this ballot and make your picks by highlighting your selection, or by putting an X by your selections, or by typing out your picks separately. We know the ballot is awkward, but a simple cut-and-paste into an email works fine.
Then e-mail your picks to [email protected] by April 20, 2019.

Done!! Man that was a tough pick between Candid Monsters and the Dick Miller book. Thanks for sending this - I didn’t know about all the William Castle releases this year!

3 months later
#118 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Saw a Pinsider at the Monster Bash convention in Pittsburgh this past weekend! (forgot his Pin name!)
Here is the gang with Creature From the Black Lagoon Ricou Browning![quoted image]

That was me! Had a great
time hanging out at Monster Bash - special thanks to Ted who was great to talk to and hang out with! I was telling my wife about the Candid Monsters book that our son (and I!) loves... and we walk right up and Ted is there. Would have loved to stay the night but we had to be back in D.C. The next day.

Kind of a life long dream to meet Ricoh Browning. I will be back!

#120 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Great meeting you two as well! Ricou is great! He will be at a future Chiller Convention. Either October or next April. You will be my guest at the convention! [quoted image]

Excellent! Parsippany is about the same distance from us as Monster Bash. vacation starts today, we will be passing through Salem, Mass on our way for some "real horror"!

3 months later
#122 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

It's finally done! CANDID MONSTERS Volume 4 (Part 1) 50's Science-Fiction Films.
In this volume (140 pages) you’ll find over 250 candid photos from many of the classic science-fiction films including Forbidden Planet, Them!, This Island Earth, War of the Worlds, The Monster That Challenged the World, Creature From the Black Lagoon, The Man From Planet X and more!
We also have Feature Articles on the making of Them!, This Island Earth and The Monster That Challenged the World. Plus interviews with Leslie Nielsen, Anne Francis, Joan Weldon, Jeff Morrow, Rex Reason, Al Nozaki, Arnold Laven, Pat Fielder, Arthur Gardner, Jules Levy, Ricou Browning and Robert Clarke.
$25 POSTPAID in the USA only. [PayPal: [email protected] ] ALWAYS include name and address. Also available on Amazon.com![quoted image]

Can't wait to read this! And I'll be eternally thankful for you introducing me to Ricou!

3 weeks later
#125 4 years ago

Just heard Rick on WTF with Marc Maron the other day. He confirmed a lot of the rumors around the Johnston Wolfman fiasco. That make me pretty sad, as I was really looking forward to that movie. Should have been epic. Can't wait to check out his 2-volume books!

#127 4 years ago
Quoted from Methos:

All of the recent Universals have been shite. At least Frazier's Mummy was halfway entertaining.
That last Mummy film was horrible.

Obviously. Too bad though, the last Mummy could have been interesting had they not shoehorned Tom Cruise into it at the last minute. Skipped Dracula Untold. I mean, why? Monsters are not superheroes.

3 months later
#129 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Finished up a couple of conventions. I'm back and have all Volume's in stock. (Vol 4 Sold Out twice already!) Thanks to all! [quoted image]

Hey Ted - I sent you some $$ via PayPal when Vol4 first came out; did you
Get my email about it? Haven’t received the book yet unfortunately

When’s the next con?

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rdoyle1978.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/candid-monsters-books-from-spfxted?tu=rdoyle1978 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.