I wanted some opinions and thoughts on a transaction, as I'm about to cancel a sale and don't want to think I'm being a dbag (really don't think I'm being unreasonable at all). But it's been lingering, and the time for some type of action has come.
The skinny: I listed a game a while back, guy responded in Canada, said he really wanted the game and committed to buy. My ad indicated that I was trying to free up space (and I have actually brought home several more games since the sale was agreed upon).
7/16 - Guy committed to buy.
7/23 - First payment made.
8/1 - I told him OK to arrange shipping, even before paid in full.
8/3 - He paid second payment via PayPal. Said he would make shipping arrangements within a couple days. Even though I needed the space and had several other offers locally to pick the game up for full price, I knocked $100 off to help him with shipping costs. I also said due to game going to Canada...I could hold it for a few weeks if he needed me to while the arrangements were made. Intermittent contact for next two weeks, then nothing.
9/16 - Month and a half later. Reach out again. He says lack of contact from shipper. He'll get on it. No further contact again for almost a month.
10/7 - I reach out again, telling him I really need the space at this point, sale happened 3 months ago and he paid 2 months ago, asking if he just wants refund. Responds saying he still wants the game, but still a "problem with shipping company" and they now need to "use another agent" over the border. Ask him to make arrangements ASAP and let me know.
10/21 - No contact for two weeks. I reach out again, now telling him the process is taking way long, and to let me know arranagements for shipping ASAP. Throw out that I'm thinking of just refunding his money and selling to one of the other 25 people that responded to the ad.
10/22 - He responds. Still wants the game. Said he will call STI tomorrow.
10/28 - No contact again. I reach out, tell him it's been another week and I haven't heard anything.
10/30 - He responds two days later, saying he "is going to call NAVL instead". Advises his "broker" is wondering what delay is, as "they have to do customs entry on it". He will get back to me later.
11/9 - No contact at all from him since. No indication WHATSOEVER as to when this thing might be picked up.
I shipped a game to Germany a little over a year ago, and I had that done within two weeks (palleted and wrapped as well).
Ok to cancel the sale at this point? The deal wasn't for me to hold the game for 4+ months. I've done deals like that before, but that was part of the initial arrangement. This guy knew from the beginning that I was trying to free up space, and didn't want to store this game long-term.
I like to think I have a decent rep when it comes to buying and selling, so I didn't want to refund the money then get bashed for being some type of ass. Anybody agree that canceling the transaction and refunding at this point is perfectly reasonable?
Any input is appreciated.