(Topic ID: 229091)

Canceling sale acceptable? Need some input.

By Colsond3

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 109 posts
  • 69 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Colsond3
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Ok to cancel sale at this point?”

• Absolutely. 131 votes
      96%
    • Give him even more time. 2 votes
      1%
    • No way. Keep waiting. 3 votes
      2%

(136 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

3274F4BA-B228-4E71-A425-E5710F18095B (resized).jpeg
    D08C7812-73EE-4A7F-9C9C-087771269229 (resized).png
    A0EFF593-F8CC-489D-B60A-D5F1D9DACC17 (resized).png
    15EC21DA-B580-495A-9BF7-62A2FBDC814B (resized).jpeg
    2F484ECC-DB7B-462C-A93A-7D11B1FB3E01 (resized).jpeg
    755754E5-CD38-47A6-BA3A-DC13EDE188E1 (resized).jpeg
    25E8083E-7B79-466D-973F-14788B8EA905 (resized).jpeg
    716FD284-9CDE-4004-8F30-019E589CF689 (resized).jpeg
    6010385A-A024-4DB7-8234-AA632A8BA873 (resized).jpeg
    A6D440F3-3892-480C-9C35-62C99C4FE600 (resized).jpeg
    3406E534-D3F7-4046-A599-7F8BF519D798 (resized).jpeg
    F3D3B94A-5264-4143-BA81-7FD5BA9A6F68 (resized).jpeg
    D2C80E68-8F91-4CF4-9C14-EF3C631C4724 (resized).jpeg
    F7C22BCF-A16A-46ED-BD4F-0FBAE2387D33 (resized).jpeg
    There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
    #1 5 years ago

I wanted some opinions and thoughts on a transaction, as I'm about to cancel a sale and don't want to think I'm being a dbag (really don't think I'm being unreasonable at all). But it's been lingering, and the time for some type of action has come.

The skinny: I listed a game a while back, guy responded in Canada, said he really wanted the game and committed to buy. My ad indicated that I was trying to free up space (and I have actually brought home several more games since the sale was agreed upon).

7/16 - Guy committed to buy.

7/23 - First payment made.

8/1 - I told him OK to arrange shipping, even before paid in full.

8/3 - He paid second payment via PayPal. Said he would make shipping arrangements within a couple days. Even though I needed the space and had several other offers locally to pick the game up for full price, I knocked $100 off to help him with shipping costs. I also said due to game going to Canada...I could hold it for a few weeks if he needed me to while the arrangements were made. Intermittent contact for next two weeks, then nothing.

9/16 - Month and a half later. Reach out again. He says lack of contact from shipper. He'll get on it. No further contact again for almost a month.

10/7 - I reach out again, telling him I really need the space at this point, sale happened 3 months ago and he paid 2 months ago, asking if he just wants refund. Responds saying he still wants the game, but still a "problem with shipping company" and they now need to "use another agent" over the border. Ask him to make arrangements ASAP and let me know.

10/21 - No contact for two weeks. I reach out again, now telling him the process is taking way long, and to let me know arranagements for shipping ASAP. Throw out that I'm thinking of just refunding his money and selling to one of the other 25 people that responded to the ad.

10/22 - He responds. Still wants the game. Said he will call STI tomorrow.

10/28 - No contact again. I reach out, tell him it's been another week and I haven't heard anything.

10/30 - He responds two days later, saying he "is going to call NAVL instead". Advises his "broker" is wondering what delay is, as "they have to do customs entry on it". He will get back to me later.

11/9 - No contact at all from him since. No indication WHATSOEVER as to when this thing might be picked up.

I shipped a game to Germany a little over a year ago, and I had that done within two weeks (palleted and wrapped as well).

Ok to cancel the sale at this point? The deal wasn't for me to hold the game for 4+ months. I've done deals like that before, but that was part of the initial arrangement. This guy knew from the beginning that I was trying to free up space, and didn't want to store this game long-term.

I like to think I have a decent rep when it comes to buying and selling, so I didn't want to refund the money then get bashed for being some type of ass. Anybody agree that canceling the transaction and refunding at this point is perfectly reasonable?

Any input is appreciated.

#2 5 years ago

Far more than reasonable. You’ve been extraordinarily patient. Return the money. Feel good about being a stand up seller and move on.

#3 5 years ago

Refund the money and tell him it's been 4+ months of intermittent back and forth with no real progress. Sell it to someone who can pick it up with cash. You've been way too generous imo. 4 months is a long time for a transaction to sit in limbo unless agreed upon.

#4 5 years ago

I have no experience yet with shipping games but it sounds like the buyer is the one to fault with the transaction. I wouldn’t sweat going with one of the other 25 people interested at this point if I were in your shoes.
    Give the guy a refund and give someone else the chance to do the deal properly without all the grief. If you have that many other people interested, it’s obviously a good deal

#5 5 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

I wanted some opinions and thoughts on a transaction, as I'm about to cancel a sale and don't want to think I'm being a dbag (really don't think I'm being unreasonable at all). But it's been lingering, and the time for some type of action has come.

THREE months is MORE than enough time for the buyer to complete the sale. No blood on your hands.

#6 5 years ago

Way more reasonable than I would have been. Guy didn’t want it that bad or he’d have figured out how to get it sooner.

Refund is more than fair... if anything he should pay you a storage fee

#7 5 years ago

On 10/7, when he failed to furnish you with any update for a month, he relinquished the right to enforce the deal, in my opinion.

#8 5 years ago

You've been more than accommodating. Honestly, if I was in this guy's shoes I would be giving you updates on the status of what I've been trying to arrange... it seems like you've been the one reaching out to him. If I say I'm going to call the shipping company tomorrow, you would expect an answer from me the very same day or next day. It's common courtesy to keep you in the loop, especially since you are holding onto this game for an extended period of time. You are totally justified in cancelling this and you've been inconvenienced holding on to this for longer.

#9 5 years ago

Yeah, that’s my thinking. There have been several messages with “hey I haven’t heard from you”, and with him saying “sorry I’ll make the arrangements ASAP.” Yet it’s still sitting here.

I know what it’s like to really want a game, but I think I’ve been more than patient. If he was within 200 or 300 miles, I would even offer to deliver it for less than what a shipping company would charge.

At this point, need space for other games sitting in my garage with the cold weather coming, and just doesn’t seem there’s any end in sight.

#10 5 years ago

Yup, the guy either isn't seriously interested and/or has other concerns. You've been well beyond accommodating that this point. Personally, I wouldn't have allowed it to drag out that long without a specific date set. Time to pull the plug on the deal.

#11 5 years ago

Just for curiosity and inquiring minds, call the two shipping companies mentioned to find out their process and the length of time it would take to ship a pin across the border

#12 5 years ago
    Quoted from Berserk:

You've been more than accommodating. Honestly, if I was in this guy's shoes I would be giving you updates on the status of what I've been trying to arrange... it seems like you've been the one reaching out to him.

I’ve asked several times just to be kept updated, and I’ve done that when I’ve bought games that I had shipped. Even if there was a slight delay for some reason, the seller was kept way in the loop.

Berserk... you ever had severe delays with shipping? Any substantial delays with going into Canada? Just want to know for future reference.

#13 5 years ago

I tried to be accommodating given that he paid relatively quickly, but just thought it’s been oddly sitting here ever since.

#14 5 years ago
    Quoted from bsobie:

Just for curiosity and inquiring minds, call the two shipping companies mentioned to find out their process and the length of time it would take to ship a pin across the border

Already did. I could’ve arranged it within a week. Something just seems off.

I’ve seen him bring home and sell other games since we did the deal for this one too.

#15 5 years ago
    Quoted from bighurb:

If you have that many other people interested, it’s obviously a good deal

It was decent. I’ll probably just reach out to others that had responded. It’s a nice Captain Fantastic early production pin.

Thanks for the feedback.

#16 5 years ago

Yeah I think you're in the clear. This is costing you $$ at this point. I'd have given up after a month of no contact. There have been other stories like this, and there will be more. Refund the guy, don't play games with the money, just move on

#17 5 years ago

Sorry I haven't picked up the game. Lost track of time but will jump in the truck tomorrow. What game was it again?

#18 5 years ago

I can’t believe you waited so long for that person. Refund their money and move on. This takes weeks TOPS. Not months. There’s plenty of companies and websites that provide that cross border brokerage service and would pass all the necessary paperwork to the shipper.

If you guys agreed on a small depsoit amount I would likely keep it or at least give the person a negative pinside review.

#19 5 years ago
    Quoted from Boat:

I can’t believe you waited so long for that person. Refund their money and move on. This takes weeks TOPS. Not months. There’s plenty of companies and websites that provide that cross border brokerage service and would pass all the necessary paperwork to the shipper.
    If you guys agreed on a small depsoit amount I would likely keep it or at least give the person a negative pinside review.

Good to know...thanks for the info. This was my first time shipping an actual game north across the border....well, it was supposed to be.

#20 5 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

I’ve asked several times just to be kept updated, and I’ve done that when I’ve bought games that I had shipped. Even if there was a slight delay for some reason, the seller was kept way in the loop.
    Berserk... you ever had severe delays with shipping? Any substantial delays with going into Canada? Just want to know for future reference.

Pins not so much, it's just a pain when you have to pay duty/import fees. I've had problems in the past with other things, I sold a trailer in Florida and when the title company tried to transfer the funds it didn't go through. I had verified all the banking information so many times and it was correct on my end, but for whatever reason this bank in Florida transferred the funds to a bank in Australia. It all worked out in the end, but for something that should only take a few days took nearly a month to complete. My blood pressure was through the roof that entire month.

I guess long story is that some things are easier to transfer into Canada than others, but shipping pins or other things really shouldn't be an issue.

#21 5 years ago

He’s probably waiting for the right opportunity to run it past his wife that he’s bought another pin..lol

#22 5 years ago

Colsond3 your a good dude man, I think 3 months is more than enough time, cancel the sale and sell it locally, you have been more than patient, it’s now time to do what’s best for you at this point.

#23 5 years ago

Another reason why I will not ship games anymore. People can really take advantage and there too wishy washy. Cash on the glass is the only way to go.

John

#24 5 years ago

I wanted to buy an HUO NBA from a guy in Canada. It was a good deal at $3500, but after dealing with shipping companies for several weeks, I finally gave up. The whole Canada/US boarder customs is a joke. Having to get a sponsor(or agent) etc. was a huge pain in my ass, and I did not trust all of the logistics involved. It also was not cheap. I have had several people contact me from Canada looking to purchase a game and I tell them sorry domestic US only. You are a nice guy for holding it so long.

#25 5 years ago

You are just as guilty as the buyer for letting this game go on so long. You should have returned his money and cancelled the agreement a long time ago. Selling anything should never be this difficult.

#26 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Another reason why I will not ship games anymore. People can really take advantage and there too wishy washy. Cash on the glass is the only way to go.
    John

No that's ridiculous. It's not another reason to not ship. Now it could be another reason to not ship overseas or get something from Canada because that requires a customs broker and a lot more paperwork that needs to be given to the shipper. This part of the process is what stinks and causes delays.
    The guy should've used NAVL to begin with. I'm guessing the guy never shipped a machine from the us to Canada and didn't realize he didn't know what he was doing and how much of a pain in the ass it is.
    3 months is way too long.
    Now what's the machine you're selling, sounds like I should snatch it up!

#27 5 years ago

Back up the dumptruck , and empty it of this deal gone no where.

#28 5 years ago

You’ve gone way over and beyond. Refund and take one of the local deals.

#29 5 years ago

Sweep the leg!

#30 5 years ago
    Quoted from Colsond3:

so I didn't want to refund the money then get bashed for being some type of ass.

Anybody who has ever had any pinball deals with you would never believe this. Just by putting up this post shows that you are more than fair.

#31 5 years ago

Please cancel and refund asap.

#32 5 years ago
    Quoted from eagle18:

Anybody who has ever had any pinball deals with you would never believe this. Just by putting up this post shows that you are more than fair.

Agree 100%

#33 5 years ago

Keep his money, fuck that loser

#34 5 years ago

I’d list pin and resell it. Once the funds are received, I’d refund all but $500 to first buyer because for storage and handling fees and move on. He has taken advantage of you and has not been forthcoming with shipping. Let him know his time is over, and if game is not picked up before second guy pays, he’ll be getting a refund minus handling fee. I had to back out of a purchase and was surprised to get any money back. I offered $500 to seller for his time, effort and lost sales and he was happy to take it, making it a win-win. In your case you have all the money and the game, but it is time for the game to make like a tree and leave.

#35 5 years ago

I’d just refund his money and move on. Sounds like you’ve been very flexible and for whatever reason, he’s just not able to close the deal. If he wants a pin, he needs to have a better handle on logistics. Nobody should have to hold a pin for four months. You are not at fault here.

#36 5 years ago

All of the above. Don’t feel bad.

#37 5 years ago

Wow you are super patient. I was happy when a local guy waited for next payday... Three plus months is beyond. Refund the money (minus PayPal fees) and move on.

#38 5 years ago

You ARE a super cool dude.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/super-cool-dude-warning

Most people would have moved on a long time ago, but it bothers you to do so. I would suggest listing the pin for sale, again, and telling the buyer. It might light a fire under his caboose to take some action. Or a new buyer might contact you. Either way, you win.

#39 5 years ago

I would have walked a while ago. You are a better man than most.

#40 5 years ago

I think you have been more then reasonable

#41 5 years ago

I see plenty of validation here for your point of view. Cancelling the sale with a refund is reasonable and generous. This is why some sellers request a non-refundable deposit for long distance purchases.

#42 5 years ago

Refund the payment. You been more then patient. I would have cut him loose a month ago. He is taking advantage of your kindness.

#43 5 years ago

You have been more than fair and seem like a great person to deal with. I would refund the money and move on.

#44 5 years ago

I'd have ditched this deal a long time ago. Can one of you guys from Canada provide some input as to buying and shipping games from the US? Can it really be such a hassle, or is the guy really a tool?

#45 5 years ago
    Quoted from thedarkknight77:

You are just as guilty as the buyer for letting this game go on so long. You should have returned his money and cancelled the agreement a long time ago. Selling anything should never be this difficult.

WTF? How am I at fault here? The guy really wanted the game, and unlike some people that never even hold a game for a week for somebody, I thought I was being courteous and giving him the benefit of the doubt.

#47 5 years ago

Send him a link to this thread and tell him he has a week for you to be contacted by the shipper. After that it's adios muchacho, here's your refund.

#48 5 years ago
    Quoted from Londonpinball:

Keep his money, fuck that loser

That's not right and I have dealt with @Colsond3 and can assure you that is not anywhere near the type of person he is.
    -Mike

#49 5 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

John

Too bad that buyers that waste a sellers time with shenanigans screw it up for people who don’t mind shipping a game they really want and make it as easy as possible with payment and communication about the logistics( I’m one of these guys)

#50 5 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

I'd have ditched this deal a long time ago. Can one of you guys from Canada provide some input as to buying and shipping games from the US? Can it really be such a hassle, or is the guy really a tool?

The buyer really is a tool. If he was having problems arranging cross border logistics, and he really wanted the game, here’s what he could have done:

Paid Navl to pick up the game and deliver to their warehouse at a major us city near the Canadian border, closest to his house. Take a half day off work Friday and drive over the border to pick up the game himself and bring it back.

Colsond3 I suggest that the next time that someone wants to buy a game and have a carrier pick it up, that you request a $300 non refundable PayPal deposit friends and family. Specify terms that the game must be picked up by x date or deposit is void

There are 109 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/canceling-sale-acceptable-need-some-input?hl=mkgoetz and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.