(Topic ID: 104003)

Canadians or just across border going to expo?

By Fuse

9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Fuse
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

Hey guys I'm looking at going to expo. I live 2 hours north of Toronto. About the same to buffalo and 3 to 4 hours from Detroit. Is the smart thing to drive or fly? About $700 round trip from toronto. $550 from buffalo and a little cheaper from Detroit. I'm thinking I'd burn likely around 10 hours of drive time including border crossings. What do you pinheads do?

#2 9 years ago

Generally I bought stuff at Expo so I drove the 9 hours in my truck. Not so bad if you go with others.

#3 9 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

Generally I bought stuff at Expo so I drove the 9 hours in my truck. Not so bad if you go with others.

Did you ever buy a pin. How does that work going across the border? Duty? Taxes?

#4 9 years ago

I like the "goat" theme going here!

#5 9 years ago

You'll pay 13% of the value of the pin while crossing. If you stay more than 48 hours you can deduct $800 from the price. So let's say you buy a pin for $1700 us. You will have to pay 13% on only $900.

They convert the 900 in cdn and then you pay the tax. Do yourself a favor and get everything in writing including a bill of sale. Just tell the guy to write $200 less for the pin on the bill and give it to him cash. You save another $26 bucks in taxes

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

You'll pay 13% of the value of the pin while crossing. If you stay more than 48 hours you can deduct $800 from the price. So let's say you buy a pin for $1700 us. You will have to pay 13% on only $900.
    They convert the 900 in cdn and then you pay the tax. Do yourself a favor and get everything in writing including a bill of sale. Just tell the guy to write $200 less for the pin on the bill and give it to him cash. You save another $26 bucks in taxes

Thanks for the info!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/canadians-or-just-across-border-going-to-expo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.