(Topic ID: 20549)

Canadians! I got tired of paying $25 shipping on $20 worth of LEDS. Made this.

By sixsixtie

7 years ago

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 24 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Damien
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 7 years ago

You can flag this for spam and delete it if you want I understand.
    I was leding out my WPT a month back and realized I didn't have quite enough lights. I ordered like $20 more from cointaker and the shipping ends up being the same price as the lights. I ordered them but then decided I would try and make a site for Canadians where they don't get dicked for shipping.

So I found a manufacturer of lights. I basically taught myself (with help from another pingeek) how to make a website and I made this website.

It's still a WIP. I need to get some pics of the lights in action. (I sold my WPT, its a long story) and POTO is at a friends. But I did test them when I didn't have a camera and they look great.

Anyway take a look. If you want to tell a friend or whatever that would be cool too. If this gets deleted I understand and no worries.

http://bangback.ca/

Please don't look on mobile phone. It doesn't work right yet and I don't want you thinking it's a terrible broken site

#2 7 years ago

You do realize that Starburst sells these, and ships within Canada... right?

I'm not sure what their shipping is, so maybe what you are doing is better. Are you an authorized dealer for CT? If not, maybe talk to Chris/Melissa and you can get a deal.

#3 7 years ago

Also I wouldn't sound so harsh towards American distributors on there.. not if you're looking for bulk re-seller discounts anyway

#4 7 years ago

I found my own manufacturer I am not affiliated with CT at all. Just sharing my experience. CT has a great product and a great site. No hate on them at all. Just venting about shipping cross border but that is my problem not theirs.

Also I did it because I wanted to get my feet wet in the website building world. If I make a few bucks cool but mainly the experience and my passion for pinball. And yes I know starburst sells leds .

#5 7 years ago

Good luck Northern Bro!

#6 7 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_customs:

Also I wouldn't sound so harsh towards American distributors on there.. not if you're looking for bulk re-seller discounts anyway

I don't think it sounds like that. He just basically commented on the cost to get it to Canada, which isn't any American's fault obviously, nor is the raping border charges.

Good luck, but with the cost being nearly the same, SB being able to satisfy small orders with reasonable shipping, and with discounts on larger ordered from CT eating more than the shipping costs, you may have a hard time.

#7 7 years ago

No sweat, playdium is a big company. I'm sure they won't even notice or care about your business. So just come right on over But honestly when is more options worse?

My selection is limited right now but it'll grow with the site. I also hope to do a lot of the business locally.

Cheers

#8 7 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

I don't think it sounds like that. He just basically commented on the cost to get it to Canada, which isn't any American's fault obviously, nor is the raping border charges.

"This site exists because Canadians have been dicked around by American pinball parts sites for long enough." <-- I was referring to that..

but hey if they work as good as Cointaker LED's, all the power to you OP.

#9 7 years ago

Good for you and your new shop.

If you can ship faster, offer better customer service and keep more inventory in stock - you will have a growing business.

One thing every LED shop needs is an online guide to how many of each color is needed for each game. I've seen kits where the insert lights are all white, rather than color matched - lazy if you ask me.

Maybe everyone here can help out and give you the count for most games.

#10 7 years ago

I will be doing that in the future for sure. Esp the # of LEDS required for each game. As for colors, honestly it's a preference thing. I'm not going to tell someone what color to put where. Some people love colors in GI some don't. I wouldn't want to make a sweeping generalization. But yes I will slowly get that information up. It's going to take a ton of manual skimming. Thank god for IPDB.

#11 7 years ago

I was thinking that the USA should just take over Canada, we could use their resources, tax the people and give them the right to bare arms. That would bring the cost of shipping LED’s to a more reasonable amount.

#12 7 years ago

Let's do it the other way. Bring you guys into the 21st century

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from robbiev:

I was thinking that the USA should just take over Canada,

You tried once, it didn't work out so well

Besides, we prefer the social healthcare lol! It's costing the wife and I $40 to have our baby! .. only because we upgraded to a private room.

PS. Welcome, Rob!! (it's Brock)

#14 7 years ago
    Quoted from sixsixtie:

Good idea!

Legal pot, legal prostitution, legal health care and women can walk around topless.

If you guys had handguns, you would be the shit.

#15 7 years ago

You tried once, it didn't work out so well
    Besides, we prefer the social healthcare lol! It's costing the wife and I $40 to have our baby! .. only because we upgraded to a private room.
    PS. Welcome, Rob!! (it's Brock)

Hey Brock! Didnt know you were in this neck of the woods!

Yeah you guys got us on the health care thing...if they ever try to draft my ass make some room for my pins!

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from robbiev:

if they ever try to draft my ass make some room for my pins!

With a collection like that you can just have my apartment. I'll live on the deck or in my storage locker if that's cool with you

#17 7 years ago
    Quoted from sixsixtie:

I, for one, welcome our newly appointed poutine overlords.

#18 7 years ago

I'm lucky enough to live only a few miles from the border, so it's very easy for me to get things shipped to a depot in the States and pick them up, saves me a ton For those not so fortunate, it's a crime what the extra charge is to have it cross border, I've seen it be as much as 5X more for it to come to my local post office vs my place in the US, maybe 10 miles apart

Hope your new venture goes well, we've already given you some free advertising on the VRPA site.

#19 7 years ago

Eff this new LED site, they want to charge me $25 in shipping fees for $22 in parts just because I live in USA

#20 7 years ago
    Quoted from PW79:

Eff this new LED site, they want to charge me $25 in shipping fees for $22 in parts just because I live in USA

Actually it's cheaper for me to ship to Cali than it is to Vancouver! Way cheaper...

#21 7 years ago

I just wanted to ship a PF from So Cal to Canada.
    I didn't expect the Spanish Inquisition.

#22 7 years ago

I get all my pinball stuff sent to my place in Vegas and pick it up when I'm down there. Shipping pinball parts to Canada is insane as it pertains to cost, it's gotta be 1/3 to 1/4 the cost to ship it to an American address (that's 66% to 75% less for all my fellow Canadians out there ).

QSS

#23 7 years ago

Case in point, my wife ordered a small item from a US company today, $3.14 to have it sent to my US address, $15 to my house

#24 7 years ago

I talked to Melissa, she told me it's 16.95 for shipping, which includes insurance. 32% difference? That covers a order up to 199.00. We work very hard at providing Outstanding Product and Service.
    Sorry if you feel like we are "Dicking" Canadians. Actually, we love Canada and Canadians. Some of our best friends are Canadian. Allentown 2012 at the Tilted Kilt, Allentown 2011 Parking Lot Pinball, and 2011 Toranto Pinball Show. Not to mention, Hockey is our favorite sport! But back to the subject, that is what it costs. Depending on the order (shaker motors) we actually lose money.
    My opinion is maybe instead of starting a pinball parts business, GO BIG. Start a shipping company, as I feel that is where you should have your issue! We will be your first customer!

Chris from CoinTaker

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from CoinTaker:

I talked to Melissa, she told me it's 16.95 for shipping, which includes insurance. 32% difference? That covers a order up to 199.00. We work very hard at providing Outstanding Product and Service.
    Sorry if you feel like we are "Dicking" Canadians. Actually, we love Canada and Canadians. Some of our best friends are Canadian. Allentown 2012 at the Tilted Kilt, Allentown 2011 Parking Lot Pinball, and 2011 Toranto Pinball Show. Not to mention, Hockey is our favorite sport! But back to the subject, that is what it costs. Depending on the order (shaker motors) we actually lose money.
    My opinion is maybe instead of starting a pinball parts business, GO BIG. Start a shipping company, as I feel that is where you should have your issue! We will be your first customer!
    Chris from CoinTaker

Hi Chris

Wow, a lot of good memories!

Gino (from montreal and part of Allentown 2012 at the Tilted Kilt, Allentown 2011 Parking Lot Pinball)

#26 7 years ago

It's costing the wife and I $40 to have our baby! .. only because we upgraded to a private room.

Good for you!

We shared a room for our first kid and that sucked. Other family crowding in, smelling, taking chairs and other baby crying. Free, but not relaxed.

Second kid we upgraded and it was awesome. I think we had two beds and a couch and chair. You're going to love it. I think we had to pay much more than $40 though. I vaguely recall it was closer to $150 ... but still worth it. Nice and quiet, intimate and relaxed.

Back on topic:

It seems like I have to pay at least $30 for shipping whenever ordering from the US. Annoying, because it stalls my parts orders in an effort to bundle. But I'm very happy these parts distributors are there at all!

#27 7 years ago

Hey chris. Thanks I didn't mean you necessarily. I'll change that off the site completely. You have a great product and and good shipping and everything. But if you're not from Canada you don't know how it is. It's just everything you order you get dinged like crazy for shipping. I'll never be as big as you guys and that's fine. Another option for the frosted north can't be a bad thing.

#28 7 years ago
    Quoted from sixsixtie:

You can flag this for spam and delete it if you want I understand.
    I was leding out my WPT a month back and realized I didn't have quite enough lights. I ordered like $20 more from cointaker and the shipping ends up being the same price as the lights. I ordered them but then decided I would try and make a site for Canadians where they don't get dicked for shipping.
    So I found a manufacturer of lights. I basically taught myself (with help from another pingeek) how to make a website and I made this website.
    It's still a WIP. I need to get some pics of the lights in action. (I sold my WPT, its a long story) and POTO is at a friends. But I did test them when I didn't have a camera and they look great.
    Anyway take a look. If you want to tell a friend or whatever that would be cool too. If this gets deleted I understand and no worries.
    http://bangback.ca/
    Please don't look on mobile phone. It doesn't work right yet and I don't want you thinking it's a terrible broken site

Really, looked like you named us specifically, right? Just sayin......

#29 7 years ago

In the OP I was just using an example. I also said later that it's most definitely not your fault and you can't help it that it costs more to ship to Canada. It's us Canehdians fault for living in snow land. It's our problem, not the shippers. You guys have to cover your costs just the same. It's just how it works shipping to a different country.

With that said it's frustrating as a Canadian. Say, for example, your coil fries. You have to order a new coil and it's $20. When you have to pay $20 to ship a $20 part it sucks. Again it's not anyone's fault it's just the way it is. What ends up happening is you put off fixing your game because you have to wait until you have a big enough order to justify the shipping price.

I started the site to avoid that on what I can. Which as of now is just LEDS.

I can't say enough good things about CT and the product you provide. Just trying to help some Canadians out and gain experience in the process.

#30 7 years ago

Good luck sixsixtie we need more Canadian parts suppliers! Hopefully you find some cheap shipping options within Canada. One eBay seller in Victoria BC (sells vintage vacuum tubes) won't ship within Canada as it's too expensive - will ship around the world though. Another based in Vancouver offers FREE worldwide shipping yet local shipping is $10 (and this was for a $30 guitar stand!). Go figure

I think it has to do with Canada Post offering an economical International Small Packets service but no equivalent service within Canada. Maybe someone else can shed some light but it is very frustrating.

#31 7 years ago

I get where the OP is coming from, could have probably delivered it a little better. I know personally here in the UK we get rapped on anything we buy and import onto our shores, shipping usually costs about the same as the item or items that are being brought as then if it's over the combined value of £50 obviously that includes the value of the item/s plus the value of the shipping so it's usually always over £50, there is our 20% tax duty and the biggest scam of all an additional £15 handling charge for the paperwork, kind of have to laugh

I'd love a guy or company to stock cointaker LEDs here in the UK as currently it's a case of buying a boat load and getting hit once with shipping, duty, vat and handling fee or buying sensible for a pin at a time and getting hit with the above each time. Parts companies can't help it it's just the way our rip of governments work, it would probably be cheaper for me to book a flight and visit Chris at cointaker and fill a couple suitcases full of cointaker LEDs, won't be getting taxed on those

#32 7 years ago

I don't understand the point of this thread. It is biased and one way. I mean the OP is cool, I am not saying the post is not as valid as any other post here. What I do not understand is it seems logical, to me anyway, that if an item has to cross an international border, you are going to pay a premium. Let us, for a moment, reverse the situation. Let us for a moment forget about US part suppliers. Ok...If I were to browse the web right now, for an item available in Canada, would my shipping cost be near the same as an item on this side of the border? Uh huh...point made I hope. Believe me I feel the pain too. I want these Judge Dredd drop down decals that are in the UK. Shipping is about the same as the decals. I am not able to pull the trigger. It stinks but it works both ways.

The issue is not the USA suppliers scalping...in my opinion anyway

***Update*** I am mistaken I guess. I checked again on these decals. I could have sworn the shipping cost was almost as high as the item(ebay auction). If not, I would have purchased them weeks ago. Either I made a mistake or the seller relisted them with a lower ship cost. I dunno. In the spirit of honesty, I had to update my post here though
    Peace

#33 7 years ago

Well i dont think this is the sellers doing on either side it also cost us in the USA if we purchase things from Canada we have to pay extra as well.
    i purchased one of the last 20 Centaur playfields last year from CPR i tracked it it was to be delivered 3x but everytime i stayed home it got to my stste then got recalled to go back to New York
    Then the asshole customs once it finally arrived sent me a bill or $60 becouse they say CPR messed up some paperwork obviously i will never pay it lol
    i dont think its the sellers just our asshole governments thinking they need a cut of someone elses goods then if its not customs its the postal services its a shame it cost buyers so much extra it would be nice if the governments would be more laxed and reasonable when it comes to goods crossing the boarders.

#34 7 years ago

I think the frustration lies in the fact that the majority of parts are only available in the US so it makes it difficult and expensive to buy if you're a non-US resident.. and that goes for the sellers too, as I understand y'all have some extra work to do on your end as well! HOWEVER, things certainly are changing (in Canada at least). Chris & Melissa have a deal going with Starburst in Canada, so buying their bulbs are much easier In fact, Starburst has done a lot to cater to the home collector in Canada. They offer parts via Marco, PBR, Cointaker and a few others.. and whatever they don't have in stock, they can order for you to save your shipping costs.

Just a suggestion to my Canadian peeps.

#35 7 years ago

I think the frustration lies in the fact that the majority of parts are only available in the US so it makes it difficult and expensive to buy if you're a non-US resident.. and that goes for the sellers too, as I understand y'all have some extra work to do on your end as well! HOWEVER, things certainly are changing (in Canada at least). Chris & Melissa have a deal going with Starburst in Canada, so buying their bulbs are much easier In fact, Starburst has done a lot to cater to the home collector in Canada. They offer parts via Marco, PBR, Cointaker and a few others.. and whatever they don't have in stock, they can order for you to save your shipping costs.
    Just a suggestion to my Canadian peeps.

Thanks for the info, I wasn't aware that Starburst was doing this

#36 7 years ago
    Quoted from CoinTaker:

Really, looked like you named us specifically, right? Just sayin......

Go Chris!!!!

#37 7 years ago

Sixsixtie . . . I think your intentions in your original post were good. It just sort of came across like it was Cointakers fault or somehow that of the US postal system. (I am very fond of Chris and Melissa and buy from them frequently). I know that every Canadian I ever met was always very hospitable and friendly. Personally, I think you folks are the best friends us people here in the States could have. We seem to have the same desires of life . . . unlike many hostile peoples of other countries.

I'm sure the high prices of shipping are frustrating. I once lived in Germany and I know what it is like. Whose fault is it though? I don't think it is with the suppliers (of either country). I imagine it is with the US and Canadian postal systems looking for the big profits for just going across the border with something. And . . . you have customs charges there too, don't you?

With that said, I think you have the right spirit in trying to figure out a way to have the product in Canada to sell to fellow Canadians. If you can reduce the costs, then you are entitled to the entrepreneurial spirit . . .

I wish you well.
    Mike in Kentucky

#38 7 years ago

Not every LED is the same. To just say hey I found an LED manufacturer doesn't mean anything. Quality is what this hobby needs not another shop sellings sub-par leds. Doesn't ebay have enough of those? Have you put alot of hours of burn time on these LEDs? How can you make the assumption that you product is on par with CT's product. CT sells a great product and everyone knows it. They have great customer service and they also stand by their product. Are Canadians going to skimp on 10 dollars extra for cross border shipping for a proven product? I hope not. Also if you want to sell bulbs sell bulbs. Dont try to populate your new site with just anything. Game Reviews from machines made 20 years ago? Now that is just silly.

1 year later
    #39 5 years ago

I see his quest has ended, unfortunately....

#40 5 years ago

Yup, looks like he's gone out of business.

3 years later
    #41 2 years ago

Had to bring this one back from the dead after reading some of the comments here...

Sixsixtie, good on you for trying to find a way to get a deal for fellow Canadians. As an avid online shopper, and someone that owns a company that ships to/from the US and Canada, I constantly feel the pain of cross border shipping gouges.

And for those that think that there is a major quality difference between Comet, Coin Taker, and some seller in China... You'll hate to hear you're wrong. I worked for almost 5 years in the automotive lighting industry, and I can tell you as a fact, that most light bulbs come from China, and most manufacturing processes are nearly identical. If you buy a #555 2 SMD natural white bulb on eBay for $0.50, there is a 90% chance it's the identical bulb you're getting from Coin Taker for 3-4 times the cost.

If you find comfort in having "CT" stamped on the base of your bulb, then go for it. Full disclosure, I have actually bought bulbs from Comet due to the the simplicity of using their site, and I have a mailbox in the US that I can use the curb the shipping fees.

But don't fool yourself into thinking these bulbs aren't the same Chinese bulbs that you find everywhere else online. Go and take a good look at the tags on all your belonging, and see what country shows up

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 36.99
    $ 45.00
    Playfield - Plastics
    Vandelay Industries
    $ 175.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 8,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Hobbit Black Arrow Out of stock
    Operation Pinball
    $ 29.95
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Pinball Photos
    $ 99.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 75.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    RGP Models
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    Lighting - Interactive
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Great American Pinball
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 29.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ULEKstore
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 249.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 999.00
    Flipper Parts
    Mircoplayfields
    $ 200.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside