(Topic ID: 137778)

The Canadian Pinhead Thread. What's Up?!

By Jeekayjay

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,733 posts
  • 298 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 84 days ago by Deleenhe
  • Topic is favorited by 196 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0368 (resized).JPG
    20231031_105232.jpg
    20231031_105149.jpg
    20231031_105152.jpg
    20231031_105214.jpg
    20231031_105211.jpg
    20231031_105220.jpg
    20231031_105209.jpg
    20231031_105158.jpg
    20231031_105207.jpg
    20231031_110908.jpg
    IMG_5584 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-20231006-WA0010.jpg
    82eifj (resized).jpg
    IMG_0432 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0078 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider meegis.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#67 8 years ago

The real question for the Canadian market is:

When the dollar does bounce back, will our pins lose value?

Say the dollar comes back down to 10%. A new pro at 5K usd, would be $5500 cad. Will they still sell for $7k otd?

#74 8 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

As much as people like to blame Playdium for the US$ rising and our prices with it, every time I compare their prices with what someone in the states is getting it for, it works out the same once you convert the dollar and factor in sales tax.
    Otherwise it would be worthwhile to drive to the states and bring a game home, but the only way that ever works is if someone tries to cheat the tax, and that has nothing to do with Playdium.

I think you completely misunderstood my point.

But lets use SB. They say you can pay is USD if you choose to. So they base their pricing on the exchange. If the exchange turns up in our favor do you believe they will lower their prices?

And if they do, would it not upset the buyers who bought when the dollar was shit?

2 weeks later
    #169 8 years ago

Why does it take 4 guys?

What am I missing?

#170 8 years ago

5 if you include youself, as you said 4 friends....

1 month later
    #223 8 years ago

Second for comet. Great product. Tons of choice. And art (the owner) will do everything he can to keep you happy.

Amazing customer service

1 month later
    #289 8 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

You mean, sell it to you at a loss since they could get more for it in the US?
    I'll never understand this mentality that somehow Canadians should leave money on the table "for the good of pinball." More like the good of your wallet.

Sell it at market value of what the local market commands. No one is saying to sell at a loss, but people who bought last year paid far less than what they would pay now.

That doesnt mean they cant sell to an American, but for some people it wouldnt be worth the time, effort or hassle to coordniate with a US buyer to get your pin.

#293 8 years ago

That's not what I'm saying Paul.

Not being pulled into this any more

3 weeks later
    #399 8 years ago

Hosted Toronto pinball league last night. Great fun!

topl_(resized).jpgtopl_(resized).jpg

1 week later
    #467 8 years ago
    Quoted from aeonblack:

I'm still looking for someone to cover for me on tuesday night at Lucky's Lounge for Diehard Pinball league. Anyone at all!

Would love to, but its a bit of a drive.

1 month later
    #557 8 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

and you have to add your 13% tax on tge price after its converted to canadian when it comes across the boarder

Taxation is different out west I believe.

#594 8 years ago
    Quoted from hollywood:

I have an immense desire for ghostbusters.....25 years ago though!
    I really wish Stern (whom I have no problems with) would take the time to create an "original" game again.
    Maybe it would even lessen the prices here in Canada because they wouldn't have to pay for theme licensing!

They did Whoa Nellie, and that didnt seem to lower prices, or go over well from what Ive seen.

#596 8 years ago
    Quoted from hollywood:

Wasn't that a remake?
    If not....pretty dumb theme no?

Well, the big issue was making an EM for the price of a modern game.

There arent a lot of original themes that would be big earners in a public setting.

Even the boutique guys arent making original themes for the most part. Ya, Spooky put out AMH, but they are now doing Rob Zombie (license). JJP has WOZ and Hobbit (Both license). Heighwey has full throttle, but now releasing Alien (License).

Licenses sell because of sentimental and emotional attachment. Original ideas may not capture the fancy of a buyer willing to shell out major dollars on a toy.

1 week later
    #682 8 years ago

I like having other peoples scores as goals to accomplish.

OR

Warn the players beforehand, that anyone who GC's a game buys it.

2 weeks later
    #696 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jeekayjay:

Sounds like there's going to be a great turnout at Yegpin! Should be a great time and a good chance to play a butt load of pins.
    Whose all making the trip from out-of-town?

Contemplating

#715 8 years ago
    Quoted from puck:

Ok,...so just wanted to toss it out there. If you plan on selling a machine in Canada what do you price it at?
    Take a machine I have no skin in for example flintstones pinball. A good example, a 1994 Williams 4,779 units on planet earth.
    • eBay 4,895.00US nafc
    • Pinside $2,000 - 3,200 pending condition
    The reason I ask is it looks to me like people are taking the machine they own, pricing it at the highest US price they can justify and then adding 30% for the exchange then packing on $300-500 shipping "cuse thats what you would have to pay to get it from the US". And you know what, I don't agree or disagree. Supply and demand will ultimately dictate, and perhaps this site is the last place I should be posting about pricing, but for anyone who has recently picked up or sold a machine if you are comfortable sharing, how much did you pay? If you are the seller how did you land on a price.
    My last machine was a $300 Miss-O that I think I paid $250 to much for after looking at it after getting it home, but as my time becomes more limited I am looking more towards collector machines.

I think another major issue that you're overlooking, is that most people who are selling expensive machines, need to be able to make more money than they used to so they can replace it with something else on the current market. It is just like the housing market here in Canada, it's gotten so bad that if you're going to sell, you must sell high to be able to even make a lateral move in the market.

1 month later
    #804 7 years ago

Option 1 is tron downstairs.
    Option 2 is JD sells.

You have time, think of your move.

The way I see it (of course personal opinion), tron is leaps and bounds ahead of JD and also becoming much hard to find. At least at a rational price point. JD will come and go and is also known as a fader game. It has appeal and slowly doesn't.

With that said though, selling JD may make you want it back more.

Either way, I think youll be OK with the collection you have.

1 month later
    #859 7 years ago

Officially ready for league night to start!

IMG_20160620_183421_(resized).jpgIMG_20160620_183421_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160620_183406_(resized).jpgIMG_20160620_183406_(resized).jpg

IMG_20160620_183122_(resized).jpgIMG_20160620_183122_(resized).jpg

#861 7 years ago
    Quoted from aeonblack:

I wish our league had skeeball to play while you wait for a machine to free up

Always fun stuff depending on the host. Some have vids, one has a full bowling alley mechanical with extended lane.

If you are ever Toronto bound, drop a line.

#867 7 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

How much would you pay for a TF LE (HUO)? I'm not looking to start a debate but I've heard people paying lower than $4500 and some paying $4900. I don't want to sound like an ass when I make an offer. The pro seems to be the more popular model. I've owned the Pro and really enjoyed it.. Would I be kick myself to get an LE?

With the market being as it is, the RF pro and le have risen in cost for us Canadians.

As str8cash said, they still fetch 5k usd in occasion. So if at 5k cad, not a bad deal.

4 weeks later
    #905 7 years ago
    Quoted from Willathrilla:

Didn't playdium clear Kiss LE out at $9,999?

Still are.

2 months later
    #956 7 years ago
    Quoted from allknowing2012:

Anyone happen to have arcade details for the new Cineplex opening up in Kitchener soon? Says it is affiliated with Starburst (didnt know Starburst was an arm of Cineplex). Also mentions that Cineplex is opening up arcades or taking over amusement places from another company.

Cineplex is a partial (or more now) owner of starburst.

EDIT: looks like they are 100% owners from a year ago: http://irfiles.cineplex.com/Starburst-Inc-Closing-Announcement-FINAL.pdf

1 month later
    #1007 7 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

Getting closer! And a pic of my messy garage ...

Send kiss to me and it will alleviate some mess.

3 months later
    #1124 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Holy sheep shit batman! There's a $20k pin on the market.. Big Bang Bar ..anyone ever seen one?!

Have a few here in Toronto.

In fact two different hosts for TOPL (Toronto Pinball league) have them in current lineup

3 weeks later
    #1151 7 years ago
    Quoted from Hammerhead:

$450K would get you about a third of that square footage on a 35' lot around here.

Barely buys a condo here hahaha

#1170 7 years ago

This thread took a turn I'm not enjoying.

#1171 7 years ago

Or am I?

#1176 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinhead306:

Sorry it was all in good fun. I'll zip it now.

See second post.

#1177 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Come on down for the 1st tourney! You're only an airplane ride away..provided you already own a spandex wrestling outfit and willing to do an Mean Gene Okerlund interview

Would love to, if time and cost wasn't an issue.

Missing yegpin due to cost, but at least I'm making it up by going to VFW

#1179 7 years ago

It's in Michigan. Easier drive for me, but not you guys.

2 weeks later
    #1261 7 years ago

Bsd looks so small

#1286 7 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Pm sent!
    I'm pretty sure to win this bet that I'm the only pinsider who doesn't own a cell phone

You're not.

I have a cell, but I can name a handful of others local here in Toronto that do not.

#1316 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinhead306:

I agree that condition is king and I agree that huo and routed is a blurry line because it is case by case not just a general statement. The thing is with routed games there are things that are out of even the best/most consistent operator. For instance the woz that is at rebellion was being played by some huge guy and he smashed the glass on the machine. That is something that wouldn't be happening in a huo environment. Well I hope anyways. Like I said it's not a dig at you at all pokey I have mad respect for you it's just my perspective on the way the market is.

I've seen glass smash in people's homes

And is it a huo if it's been used in league play?

Blurry is an understatement

#1322 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinhead306:

Point taken I agree but there are multiple things. I've played on locations and the glass is sticky with beer. Having drink holders on the machine, someone other then you using non proper cleaning product on the cabinet. Also play numbers. As I said prior it's just my opinion and I'm entitled too it. I don't think there is even a comparison on which machine takes more abuse.

Everything you said, while likely true for routed, is still not making a strong case, as this is all user based.

Lots of home machines have drink holders, I know lots of home owners who put drinks ON games (and I hate seeing it).

And play number is a moot point as well. Have you ever gotten a game home and it being new to you you just play it, over and over and over and over again? You aren't limited by pumping coins into the thing, you just keep pressing start.

I'm not trying to be a smartass, just stating what's already been said. Huo is a term that needs to be taken with a grain of salt until you physically see the game.

#1324 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

If your friends spill drinks & smash the glass out with their fists at your house I think u need new friends! ROUTED typically get played almost every night while HUO most likely gets less plays and more respect. It's like buying a used car.. if it's a one owner vehicle or off a companie's fleet..which one are you going to generally want more? The one used by a bunch of random people who bag the shit out of it or the that you know the history of its use.

if everything he says is likely true..then it's making a pretty strong case!

My point stands on the fact that HUO is a vague term, and like i mentioned prior, it all goes back to 'condition is king', which we have all agreed on.

And if my friends mistreat my games, they dont return. Im lucky enough to say I have yet to need to stop anyone from playing my games.

#1328 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Yes it's a vague term..but my understanding of the term in reference to pinball machines is that MOST LIKELY means it has not been abused in a public environment, and that it TYPICALLY doesn't get played every nite by random people who don't treat it as their own. So taken with a grain of salt & GENERALLY speaking Meegis, would you buy a one owner car or a fleet vehicle?

If the one owner car smells like cigarettes, has a bunch of accident history, and looks like shit.

While the fleet car has full dealer service records,and seems to be on the up and up.

My answer is clear.

1 month later
    #1450 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

FINALLY some decent weather here. Off to see if anything is biting at the trout pond this morning besides mosquitoes.

Wish I could take a day like that =/

#1452 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Was thinking of ordering some LED strips and a few spotlights. Where is a good place to order lights from in Canada?!

Nowhere.

Sadly, I find using a us source is better even with shipping.

Comet is great and shipping is often minimal

1 week later
    #1471 6 years ago

Even being almost four and a half thousand km away. I have nothing but good things to say about Nitro. Tommy is active in the community here and on Facebook. Always a pleasure to speak to on the phone, and as others have said, will bend over backwards to do what he needs to keep you happy as a customer.

Keep up the great work

#1472 6 years ago

Its a damn shame that Stern monopolized their Canadian sales up to this point with one sole distributor for all of Canada. If that were to change, I can only imagine the drastic influx it would be on Nitro's sales.

#1474 6 years ago
    Quoted from wolv3:

Is there no one that we can all complain to so Tommy can buy direct. He comes out to the shows and sells the games so why should stern get a cut?

I think you mean Starburst, but I agree completely.

#1477 6 years ago
    Quoted from noahd42:

It's even worse in my opinion because Cineplex owns them and there are just two pins at the Rec Room here in South Edmonton Common. Seems like a real waste of the exclusivity if they don't even put them out in public.

To add to the disdain; the Toronto (head office) showroom which usually has all new games on display has closed their doors on weekends. They are only open during the day Mon - Fri. So anyone who works a typical hour job cannot even go in and see the games before purchase.

Add to that, you can no longer even pick up your purchase on the weekend either.

Just makes the customer experience less than satisfactory.

#1481 6 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

I agree, who do they think are going to buy the games - people without jobs?

It has been said by some employees (both current and former) that the retail customer is not their concern. Sadly, as collectors, we dont make much of a dent in the everyday commercial sales they probably do (pinball, billiards, juke boxes etc). While we are the ones buying the specialy titles like premium and LE models, its not the bread and butter of the industry for them. They also rely heavily on their service dept to bring in earnings. While Ive bought many parts from them (both reasonably priced and excessively marked up) the service dept horror stories keep me from enlisting their services. Luckily there are a handful of GREAT techs locally in the enthusiast community.

#1485 6 years ago
    Quoted from FlipperFreak:

I'd like to thank everyone in the pinball community for their vocal support of Nitro via Pinside, emails & phone calls. I have some very good news I'll be posting soon! Thx, T

Free NIB machines for those that supported

Very generous of you. I will happily send my address info, or I can make arrangements to pick up

3 months later
    #1683 6 years ago

EMs have a certain charm to them. That being said, some are better than others, and everyone is personal taste.

Good luck finding them, I have a couple I may part with as well.

#1685 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

What did you guys think of Strikes and Spares(bally)? I see u owned one Meegis.There's one in town here for sale. I messaged the gent and hopefully gonna go take a look if he gets back to me..

Fun game. Had a minty one got a while. That era of Bally play very similar to each other. Fun to rip spinners.

3 weeks later
    #1764 6 years ago

Anyone here going to Vancouver Flip Out? Im curious about a few things, would really appreciate, as Im on the other end of the country.

Shoot me a PM.

Thanks,

#1765 6 years ago

Have had a few people reach out to me from flip out.

Thanks to those who messaged me

No longer need assistance

Cheers

1 month later
    #1885 6 years ago
    Quoted from Hammerhead:

Tee hee - it's supposed to be 17C here tomorrow.

Too bad it's pissing rain out today. Was supposed to move a few pins out

#1914 6 years ago

Ontario waiting.....watching....hehehehehehe

#1920 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

For one of these?
    Long trip for a butt whooping no? See you guys in May

Nah, never had a hope on that.

Maybe for their centennial run..... Go leafs Go! 2067!!!

1 week later
    #1952 6 years ago
    Quoted from FlipperFreak:

We're happy to finally announce that Nitro Pinball is officially a Stern distributor for Western Canada. Our games, parts & accessories will now come directly from Stern. This means better pricing, better service and more choice. I'd like to personally thank everyone in the community that supported our steadfast love of pinball and rallied behind our customer service model. In addition, we're proud distributors of American Pinball, Chicago Gaming, Jersey Jack, Heighway, Dutch & Homepin. Feel free to contact me anytime if there is something you need. Or, just have questions about a release. I always have time to talk pinball
    Silverball regards,
    [email protected]
    Toll Free: 1-855-366-4876
    Cell: (604) 226-5346

Do sell yourself short...

The Toronto market will happily support you too.

Way to go bud!!

1 week later
    #2048 6 years ago

Is it time to grab the popcorn?

#2053 6 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

I didn't even know it was legal for companies in Canada to deny selling products to me based on where I live - learn something new every day.
    Has anyone encountered this in other industries where you call up a company for some product and they say "sorry, I'm not allowed to sell to you because you're from Saskatchewan"?
    Next question is, what if you visited another province. Could they deny to sell to you even in person, over the counter, because you live in a certain province?

There are tricks im business and contracts behind scenes, but its not totally allowed.

Quoted from Hitch9:

I’m not sure it is legal.

It is not.

#2101 6 years ago
    Quoted from chinosts:

So I have a question... You guys live in Canada. Why don't you order direct from the manufacturer when buying new pinballs? Why go through a distributer? If you organize amongst yourselves you could share shipping costs etc.
    What is stopping you from organizing a road trip to Stern and coming back with a truck full of pinballs? What am I missing here?

Stern refuses to sell direct to public and there is a long standing contract that anything Canada bound is "supposed" to go through player 1 amusements.

Not as easy as it seems.

However, Tommy at nitro is doing a fantastic job mitigating the situation and helping out everyone he can with this.

Hoping to one day be able to purchase from him.

#2133 6 years ago
    Quoted from trueno92:

Sml wanted to charge $40 for flipper coils.
    True story

I needed a cool for my doc ock kicker and p1 (starburst at the time) wanted $48. It was $9.99 USD on Marcos site which I checked on my phone while standing at their parts counter.

1 week later
    #2155 6 years ago

Wish I was local...

1 week later
    #2168 6 years ago
    Quoted from Rascal-911:

Buying pinball in Canada.
    I was just reading the comments about Nitro and Player 1 retailers.
    I am in the middle of trying to buy a new pin currently. Paid deposit and waiting on shipping. All I can say is when I wanted a new machine I contacted both retailers and picked the lowest price and distance. The problem I have now is the distributor is also waiting on shipment and the shipping dates are way off.
    My only complaints through the process, other than not playing my new pin yet, seems to be a lack of communication and unknown delivery times.
    Is this normal?
    I'll see how it goes.

Shipping right now is a complete mystery to most in the shipping business.

Anything outbound has been delayed by 1 day and up to 2 weeks on rail lately. I have had shipments fly through, and others sit in limbo.

Find out which company it's being shipped with and the waybill # or bol #. With this you can Google the carrier and call them direct for info.

If already paid, this info is rightfully yours to know and track.

2 months later
    #2270 6 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

Visited Pinbar this week in YYC. It's frickin awesome. Truly what I wanted Pokey's to be. It's worth a trip! Wonderful folk and just a great over all atmosphere. Can't wait for my next visit!

You need to step up yor beard game.

#2299 6 years ago

I bolt my games to the concrete floor in my basement.

Doesn't everybody?

1 month later
    #2347 6 years ago

So it happened....

Tommy played a gottlieb

IMG_20180419_163551 (resized).jpgIMG_20180419_163551 (resized).jpg

1 week later
    #2374 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hammerhead:

Yes, but now he'll get to deal with the 28 cents on the dollar USD-to-CAD exchange and 13% tax at the border.
    Welcome to Canada!

Exchange only affects him if he doesn't already have USD funds....

2 months later
    #2408 5 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Probably due to summer. Lots of guys I know barely turn their games on when it's nice out. They're at the lake, working on their cars or doing outdoor activities with the kids.

What's this 'outdoors' you speak of?

2 weeks later
    #2423 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ive:

Hey BC pinheads !
    I'm over in Vancouver at the end of August for a few days ...where's the pinball at in the city ? We were over 4 years ago and I visited Pub 340...they had a decent lineup. Any good video game places too ? Oh and craft beer places
    Thanks and looking forward to visiting again

If you can linger into September, they have a big show going on.

http://www.vancouverflipout.com

5 months later
    #2575 5 years ago
    Quoted from libtech:

Good day to set some of those midnight madness high scores!

Some of us are in bed by 9 p.m., good sir

#2577 5 years ago

Sad, but true. I was at the office yesterday, and have had very little time off.

Also have a 1 yr old that keeps me running until he's asleep, and that's when I pass out too haha

3 weeks later
    #2585 5 years ago

Anyone have a link to said auction?

9 months later
    #2722 4 years ago
    Quoted from Waynezor:

Does anyone ever go down south to the various pinball expos?

I do, but geographically speaking it might not mean anything to you.

Why do you ask?

#2728 4 years ago
    Quoted from cait001:

Let me know if you head South to a show and will have some room coming home for oddballs and bagatelles?

Will do, but I don't go to too many and my car is mighty small.

You need to hit up VFW next spring.

1 week later
    #2733 4 years ago
    Quoted from Waynezor:

Is there anymore differences between usa and Canadian pins other then the coin mech?

Modern Stern's come standard with a tournament button on Canadian models but so not have one on a us model.

It can be added at a cost to the us model, but often is just a plugged hole or dummy switch filler.

2 months later
    #2787 4 years ago

Great powder coat guy here in Toronto area, but I do t think you're looking for that kind of drive.

#2790 4 years ago
    Quoted from CanadianPinball:

Got a link or details? meegis

Pm incoming

6 months later
    #2852 3 years ago
    Quoted from TheCanadianGuy:

Finally, a thread I belong too.

Welcome.... Nice collection too.

2 months later
    #2917 3 years ago
    Quoted from Cobra:

What colour is it?

I haven't seen it myself, but I believe its a cinnamon, burnt orange.

1 week later
    #2971 3 years ago
    Quoted from Saltimbanco:

Do you mean by going to CBSA with the receipt to pay taxes BEFORE the parts get delivered to your home address?

You probably pay a brokerage fee for the order to cross pre-cleared shipment.

Sadly, there are a lot of rules of import/export to get around these fees that most dont know and therefore cannot take advantage.

1 month later
    #3054 3 years ago
    Quoted from pkrobin:

Only one I look at

You realize there is nothing newer than 2017 on there.

That means you're missing 3 full years of pins (18,19,20)

Iron maiden is not in there, and other major games are missing too.

Your list is flawed. Majorly.

#3056 3 years ago
    Quoted from pkrobin:

All those games are in the database but you need to look them up individually because they don't have enough ratings to warrant a GOAT list.
    So yeah I suppose it's not ideal but at least it's harder to manipulate in the short-term

Fair point. I just think it's major flaw considering the bangers coming out recently

Just my opinion though.

1 week later
    #3065 3 years ago
    Quoted from shaub:

..in Regina? I find that hard to believe. We're all a bunch of assholes!

You'd think in a town with that name, you'd use a different body part as the insult.

#3067 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Funny thing is, it didn't have to be that way. The princess' name is pronounce rej-ee-nah.
    The Newfies take the cake with Dildo though. lol.
    B.C. has Stoner and Spuzzum
    A.B. has Vulcan.
    Quebec has Saint-Louis-du-Ha! Ha!
    Manitoba has Flin Flon
    What exactly does a hat used for medicine look like?

Being in shipping my whole life, theres a section of Delta, BC with a bunch of distribution centers I've always been fond of.

Postal code: V4G1N4

Lots of places have interesting names and features.

2 months later
    #3121 3 years ago

One of these years I will finally make it to yegpin. This year will sadly not be it.

#3134 3 years ago
    Quoted from RumRunner9:

Curious if there a source of info for Stern pin production timelines / what pins are being re run?
    Considering an NIB and would like to know what choices are available.
    an example is: limited run of DP pro’s recently in Canada - can we expect DP premiums?
    (Some US vendors appear to have premiums in stock.)
    Another US vendor website suggests other titles will be re run this year. I.e. EHOH

I'm not sure if there is a public list, but distributors usually have a good idea of allotment they will be receiving for a good number of months upcoming

2 months later
    #3220 2 years ago

Where I live we have weekly recycling but garbage bi-weekly.

Taxes are not low by any means.

#3223 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hammerhead:

Huh, here garbage is weekly and recycling is biweekly. In London they’re maybe going to a third bin for compost

We have the green compost bin, that's weekly with recycling.

#3225 2 years ago
    Quoted from klr650:

City of Edmonton recently introduced bins for compost and garbage. But when they introduced the bins they decided to reduce the frequency of garbage collection from weekly to bi-weekly while keeping composting and recycling on a weekly schedule. I believe the strategy here was to get folks into the habit of composting and recycling. Some people have adapted quicker than others.
    It's been a bit of a learning curve for one neighbor. The crows, magpies and seagulls have been pitching in to help him identify the items that should be composted! [quoted image]

They did the same here way back.

My wife and I put out one bag of garbage every two weeks. It's rare we use more.

Yes, we have kids.

3 months later
    #3327 2 years ago
    Quoted from Manhattan:

I'm not trying to troll or create an argument but I think your still missing the main point... The US will not let foreigners into the country through a Canadian land border crossing unless you are an essential service (ie. truck driver). Flying in is the only way. I wish it were different and I'm probably compelled to reply here because I am fueled with frustration since we let our border open to them but it's not reciprocal.
    On another note, Oakville is awesome. I used to live on Rebecca around 3rd Line during my teens. There is so much I miss about the GTA that you just don't find here on the west coast. Mostly of a cosmopolitan nature. Fortunately it is offset by some pretty outstanding geographical amenities that I take advantage of all year.
    And oh yeah... GO JAYS!

Just a small correction, pinpickle said you can walk across the border, and technically you can.

Pedestrian crossing is still allowed at the rainbow bridge, so it's not considered a land crossing. Vehicle crossing is prohibited.

It won't help bring a pinball back, but technically you can get across that way.

A lot of people are parking at the Niagara lots, walking across and taking taxis or Ubers to go shopping and then just walking back at the end of the day with their bags of stuff.

#3329 2 years ago
    Quoted from BMHouze:

Just taking this appliance cart for a walk...

I don't see how they can stop you if it's a legitimate purchase... Might be awkward, but not illegal

1 month later
    #3342 2 years ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Anyone connected polk subs using just alligator clips?
    My understanding is two games can be connected to one sub and can simply clip to existing sub.
    Trying to avoid soddering.

Yes, but as mentioned above, you need the right sub.

Polk psw10 is the most commonly used, though other options are available.

2 weeks later
    #3402 2 years ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Lol they to clip polks to existing subs, some of us need a bit of extra length know what I mean

Just buy the alligator clips and make your own with speaker wire. VERY VERY easy to do, no special tools needed either.

A small plier (needle nose is best) to fold the alligator tabs, thats it. You can strip the wire with any knife if you dont have a proper stripper/cutter.

If you need instructions, Im sure many can happily help out.

2 weeks later
    #3435 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

what else is up canada?! How many of you pinheads from out east planning to come out to yegpin next year?!

Would love to, just need to see if it's possible.

2 weeks later
    #3483 2 years ago
    Quoted from luch:

[quoted image]

3 weeks later
    #3502 2 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

I have a shadow I'd part with for 9k if you're interested.

Don't forget to add taxes

2 weeks later
    #3561 2 years ago
    Quoted from Saltimbanco:

On that topic of pinball prices, Tom_454 on maaca had put together a short list of prices he had recently seen, that list is from October 2021. Are those the going rates lately? Please feel free to correct/add to this, all in $CAD. Didn't include the typical +15% in the GTA area! Lol
    Stranger Things (PREM) $12k
    Hobbit (LE) $13k
    Led Zeppelin (LE) $14k
    MET (Pro) $8.5k
    Dialed In (SE) $9.9k
    POTC (CE) $17.5k
    Creature $8.8k
    GhostBusters (Pro) $8.5k
    Monster Bash $12k
    Judge Dredd $5.6k
    TMNT (Pro) $8.2k
    TMNT (PREM) $9.8k
    DeadPool (PREM) $12k
    EHOH (PREM) $14.5k
    Mousin Around $4.2k
    BSD (restored) $6.5k
    Hot Wheels $7.8k
    TWD (Pro) $8k
    STTNG $6.8k
    Batman (Super LE) $25k
    TSPP $8.5k
    GOTG (Pro) $8.2k
    BK (Stern Pro) $7.8k
    Tron (Pro) $10.2k
    Tron (Pro) $10k
    AMH $7.5k
    GOT (PREM) $13.5k
    LOTR (LE) $12.5k
    TOTAN $15k
    Fire $4.5k
    AFM $11.5k

You have Tron pro listed twice, and both are low. The only Tron that didn't sell well was the one in Quebec.

Also, it's very subjective because it's one of those titles that can be modded to the 9's. (Of course, mods are only values by the buyer, and is a hard to discuss topic for some)

Tron Le's are listing upwards of 22-25k usd, which also makes no sense to me.

I'm not trying to price pump, but I believe the pro to be worth more than that based on sales history being 10k+ at the beginning of covid and now game prices are on fire.

#3563 2 years ago
    Quoted from Saltimbanco:

On that topic of pinball prices, Tom_454 on maaca had put together a short list of prices he had recently seen, that list is from October 2021. Are those the going rates lately? Please feel free to correct/add to this, all in $CAD. Didn't include the typical +15% in the GTA area! Lol

Stranger Things (PREM) $12k (ok)
    Hobbit (LE) $13k (high)
    Led Zeppelin (LE) $14k (high, but some will get it)
    MET (Pro) $8.5k (low)
    Dialed In (SE) $9.9k (high, le goes for 10.5)
    POTC (CE) $17.5k (maybe usd)
    Creature $8.8k (couldn't say, too much nostalgia on bally Williams)
    GhostBusters (Pro) $8.5k (ok)
    Monster Bash $12k (high for original, but ok depending on which remake trim)
    Judge Dredd $5.6k (normal)
    TMNT (Pro) $8.2k (sure)
    TMNT (PREM) $9.8k (maybe)
    DeadPool (PREM) $12k (good luck finding one)
    EHOH (PREM) $14.5k (ok but no idea why)
    Mousin Around $4.2k (seems high)
    BSD (restored) $6.5k (restored will cost more)
    Hot Wheels $7.8k (sure, still available nib too)
    TWD (Pro) $8k (just barely low)
    STTNG $6.8k (way low, not gonna find one)
    Batman (Super LE) $25k (find one and see)
    TSPP $8.5k (low, but possible)
    GOTG (Pro) $8.2k (about right, but nib available will push price up)
    BK (Stern Pro) $7.8k (don't know, don't care)
    Tron (Pro) $10.2k ( lower end, but maybe without key mods)
    Tron (Pro) $10k (if you mean le, it's $20k+)
    AMH $7.5k (seems right but not a great game)
    GOT (PREM) $13.5k (high, le is about the same price)
    LOTR (LE) $12.5k (maybe)
    TOTAN $15k (way high, crazy unless restored)
    Fire $4.5k (meh)
    AFM $11.5k( depends which trim, but do you mean original, this is high)

Here is my revision of your list, not with pricing, but my eye on the market here.

#3589 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinPickle:

Hahaha no chance. My Streetbike riding days are behind me. Wouldn’t mind picking up a 600cc track bike at some point. I ride off-road for the time being. Interesting offer though.

I live in Oakville, guys on my beer league team all have kids that play with AA and AAA rangers and many of them coach.
    Not sure they have seen the 911 though. Beauty

I'm gonna guess the gt3 isn't street driven

#3605 2 years ago

I prefer lunch

#3614 2 years ago
    Quoted from Apollo18:

I haven’t heard anything from TOPL or gotten any emails in a long time.
    Great group. I have met the nicest ppl.
    TOPL Still playing? Or still on break.
    Hmm Lunch! Hungry.

You've also met me.... I'm a nightmare.

2 weeks later
    #3647 2 years ago
    Quoted from Apollo18:

Anyone dealt with USA Stern distributors that you would recommend and are Canadian friendly?
    Please advise/PM.
    Thank you.

Us distros are not allowed to ship games to Canada.

If you are willing to ship within the us and get it home on your own accord, than most of them are decent.

#3653 2 years ago
    Quoted from Anony:

Exactly
    Unless I see pics of it torn down I don't believe it. shopped usually means replaced GI with leds and cleaned it a bit.

All my games are 'shopped'

1 month later
    #3783 2 years ago
    Quoted from Saltimbanco:

I've come to believe that buying NIB is now the cheapest way around the resellers' crazy market prices.

In Canada maybe.

Lots of deals to be had south of the border.

#3793 2 years ago
    Quoted from Zartan:

There are 4 problems with buying in the states. Exchange, tax, customs brokerage fees and shipping.

Brokerage and shipping is heavily dependent on your willingness to travel. So this is only an issue for some people, but completely hear you. (Even though ironically you live in windsor, so you are literally minutes away from the border.

Exchange rate is a bitch but can (and will) fluctuate. My biggest issue here is something I've brought up for many years.

If our dollar bounces back, will people in Canada reflect the same price disparity in their pins? Sadly, the answer is most Canadians will not lower their price even if the game is now "worth less". In fact, prices here have only been going up, so much so, we have well outpaced our neighbors to the south.

And finally tax. Yes, it sucks. Yes it's 13% here in Ontario, but out west a lot of people take advantage of the tax being 5%. On toys breaking 5 figures, the 8% swing is noticable but still just sadly part of the pricetag of living in the great white north.
    And to be fair, too many sellers up here tell others that's why Canadian private sale games cost more.

Sorry for the wall of text

#3806 1 year ago

I just turn my games and on watch the lights twinkle.

No plays allowed.

#3813 1 year ago
    Quoted from Darth_Chris:

I know, I had the game for 7 years before I let it go. I really thought at one point ac/dc premium and metallica were bolted to the floor. But at one point, with a small lineup, when you skip nights, weeks and then months of playing it that means it's time to shake the lineup a bit. But I have to agree metallica is awesome.

This is a perfect explanation for many games that have come and gone through my collection

1 week later
    #3827 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

20k christmas lights!!!

But I don't even celebrate Christmas

#3829 1 year ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Festival of Lights !

Now I need to rethink my lineup and have 8 in a line...

Turn on a new one each night

#3831 1 year ago
    Quoted from Apollo18:

Looking for a good place to Powder Coat a few pins.
    North GTA (Ontario) area
    any recommendations? Advice ?
    What’s pricing at nowadays?
    Please DM me if this is the wrong thread for me to post for this. Don’t mean to clutter up thread etc.
    Thank you.

There's a few places I can recommend. One not too far, one far east end.

I'll guide you through it

#3833 1 year ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

What does it typically run you for an armour set to get PC'd?

That's a loaded question, but the short answer is $250-$500+

The reason for a range and a vague plus sign, is it all depends on how many pieces you do, and what kind of job you want.

Are the pieces already stripped or do they need to sandblast. Do you want a single stage color that gets blasted on and it's done or are you doing layering. Do you want any type of finish other than smooth, for example textures.

It can get expensive depending on how custom you make it.

#3835 1 year ago

As an example, here is four colours I had done, but there's two types of jobs here.

The gold and green are illusion colours, with a normal spray and clear coat.

The purple and blue are actually mutli stage sprays.

It's a layer of ink black powder followed by coloured flake in the clear coat. It's tough to photograph the depth of it, but you can see it's not just a standard one blast colour.

IMG_20170422_151412 (resized).jpgIMG_20170422_151412 (resized).jpgIMG_20170422_151420 (resized).jpgIMG_20170422_151420 (resized).jpgIMG_20170422_151426 (resized).jpgIMG_20170422_151426 (resized).jpg
    #3836 1 year ago

Pretty good pricing here, but be careful going down the rabbit hole of colour options.

There's 1000's

#3843 1 year ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

We special order any colour for our customers, you can pick any colour you want we bring it in.

This is the part that takes the longest
    Choosing a damn colour.

Example:

I'd like red

Ok, have a look through these 3800 samples

FML

1 month later
    #3959 1 year ago
    Quoted from Completist:

Happy Canada hosers! Drove 8hrs yesterday to spend the weekend with my fam, and stock up on Canadian Whiskey lol.
    Surprised to see Timmies serving espresso drinks. Disappointed that Bieber is still affiliated.
    Side note - going to be back in mid-July. so if anyone wants to avoid US shipping/customs, pm me and if you ship your parts order to me i can bring them up and ship locally. No charge other than the cost to ship within Canada.[quoted image]

Whereabouts do you drive up to? If local for some, they won't even need to spend more on shipping.

This is a very generous offer from you.

#3966 1 year ago
    Quoted from Hammerhead:

Spending a day with the family melting at Canada’s Wonderland

If you're still around I live down the street. Happy to say hello.

You sticking around for the fireworks?

#3967 1 year ago
    Quoted from Completist:

Ontario. Typically GTA (Head office is in Milton). mid July will be in Niagara Falls for a mtg but will take the opportunity to visit some friends at the end of the week.

Well, if you ever want to make a small detour, happy to have you by and play some pins.

I'm 5 mins off the 400 highway near Canada's wonderland (as per my previous post above)

I always like meeting fellow collectors.

#3969 1 year ago
    Quoted from BMHouze:

I will have to keep that in mind the next time I go to Mc Michael.
    Those paintings just ooze Canuck.

Come on by!

#3983 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinPickle:

Where’s everyone buying their replacement pinballs from?
    Everyone sells them but some US Online Shops take forever to ship.

How many do you need?

Also, if you end up going for silverjet, keep in mind they are prone to magnetizing. So keep them in games without magnets.

1 month later
    #4120 1 year ago
    Quoted from aeonblack:

You could also call, I mean, they are a business lol. Does anyone else remember that channel 5 commercial from the 90's? "Pick uuuuup the phoooone...call us! We're waiting for your call!" pretty sure it was for some "party line" or something.

Late night sex commercials.

Now we know what you were doing

1 month later
    #4174 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinPickle:

Anyone know of a company that will pack up a pin for shipping? Or anyone in the GTA have a newer stern box and foam sitting around?
    I have a couple people in interested in my JP but they are looking to have it shipped. Obviously super concerned with packing on my own. I would hate for something to happen.
    Shipping would be across Canada using Day & Ross.
    Thanks

Quoted from transprtr4u:

Did you try #meegis seems like he has helped others ... ?
    These games are use to being moved .
    It's nor that scary ...
    Good luck ...

Always happy to advise. Anyone can drop me a line any time. Pm is best.

#4183 1 year ago
    Quoted from pingod:

The bigger the pallet, the more it costs to ship.
    Keep that in mind. You pay by volume, and weight. Whichever is greater.
    Best to use one the size of a Stern box if boxing up a game.
    31x31

This is only viable if using a box to ship, otherwise I would never go that small (personal preference from experience)

Absolutely this. Or take an existing pallet and custom it smaller

Not a great idea to be honest, unless you properly rebuild stringers and slats, it could cause major issue for anyone moving the pallet around. If they cant use a pump truck in it because of modification, they will be forced to forklift it and that's when you can get some unnecessary damage. Whether it be from forks piercing something or just the pallet tipping due to structural integrity being gone.

#4200 1 year ago

Also keep in mind that some states may not allow coin-op equipment without specific details on home use or other. So I would make sure the buyer is aware of anything beforehand too.

1 month later
    #4370 1 year ago
    Quoted from aeonblack:

My mom has a few that she would want to get rid of. I'll pm you.

Antiques or electric?

I'd be curious to know if dirk passes on em.

1 month later
    #4445 1 year ago

To have post #4444

Horrible number if you're Chinese

#4449 1 year ago
    Quoted from jesperpark:

Aren't posts ending in 7 better?
    Dammit now I'm ending with a 8, thanks ND

Actually, 8 is very lucky in Chinese culture.

LoL

#4450 1 year ago

oh yeah? lol
    I did ancestry, I am the whitest bitch on planet earth.

Considering your location, I can't fight that. Haha

2 weeks later
    #4453 1 year ago
    Quoted from BMHouze:

I finally applied to the place that hires everyone.
    At least I have a job.
    If my references check out they give me +$2/hr to start.
    My workplace closed in Nov. Got a nice severance, but tax time could take a bite to leave me just short of the rest of the mortgage.
    Either way, new job pays way more than I really need, I should be able to start adding to the game room again soon.

Who hires everyone (if you don't mind me asking)

Congrats on the new gig

#4457 1 year ago

Sadly the big chains never called me back when I was looking.

Maybe I'm just a degenerate

5 months later
    #4548 9 months ago
    Quoted from Soulstoner:

First time to YEGPIN this year. What time does it run until on Thursday and Friday? 10pm?

Hit me up when you are there...

I want to meet as many people as I can

#4550 9 months ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Your there all day Saturday?

I'll be there all day Saturday and hopefully most of the day Sunday.

Tomorrow I'm gonna hit up a few places around Edmonton once I land and get my car

#4551 9 months ago

Any restaurant within walking distance of yegpin for a dinner? Happy to sit with whoever can join (timing dependent)

1 week later
    #4569 8 months ago
    Quoted from cait001:

I was told it already is PACKED for much of each day, so I guess they're doing fine with the current setup.
    Seriously considering taking a mini vacation in Toronto without my fam just to play there for 2 days...

Any time you come down, always feel free to drop by. You know doors are open for you.

I'll even wave the cover fee

1 month later
    #4627 7 months ago
    Quoted from BMHouze:

DE Simpsons has just arrived from
    The man cave.
    Deep clean is #1
    Then I can start in on the wonky weak flipper, pops, etc.
    I remember going to the Starburst live auction and him getting this.
    He sold it to me for cost.
    PF looks pretty good, sone loss by the drain.
    [quoted image]

Any of damage up on Moe above the shooter lane playfield entrance?

It's usually pretty bad

#4632 7 months ago
    Quoted from BMHouze:

Shooter lane is much better than the Checkpoint I had years ago.
    Using some plant based cleaner on the cab. Worked great on the back of it 1st.
    The cannabis resin is coming right off. Luckily it was in the far corner of the room.
    [quoted image]

That's not too bad actually.

1 week later
    #4653 7 months ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

There can only be one Gilles !

Actually, I know two now in the hobby.

#4655 7 months ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

There may be more than one named Gilles...
    But luckily ours is very special out west!
    Thought you met him at Yegpin

I did, hence I now know two.

#4657 7 months ago
    Quoted from Stretch7:

With a name like Gilles the other one must be in the east lol
    I can’t believe other people named their kids that

He used to be, now he's in the US actually. Living the expat life.

#4660 7 months ago
    Quoted from Jsslade:

I'm here now, probably the only Newfie pinhead.

There are a good amount of pinheads out your way.

#4661 7 months ago

Looks to be quite a few of ya's
    [quoted image]

Beat me to it.

But there's more than what's just on the map.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider meegis.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/canadian-pinballers-thread-chat-here?tu=meegis and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.