(Topic ID: 137778)

The Canadian Pinhead Thread. What's Up?!

By Jeekayjay

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,733 posts
  • 298 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Deleenhe
  • Topic is favorited by 196 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0368 (resized).JPG
    20231031_105232.jpg
    20231031_105149.jpg
    20231031_105152.jpg
    20231031_105214.jpg
    20231031_105211.jpg
    20231031_105220.jpg
    20231031_105209.jpg
    20231031_105158.jpg
    20231031_105207.jpg
    20231031_110908.jpg
    IMG_5584 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-20231006-WA0010.jpg
    82eifj (resized).jpg
    IMG_0432 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0078 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider klr650.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#967 7 years ago
    Quoted from libtech:

Damn, never heard of it, looks like a diecent line up!

Wow, that's a lot of games! I might have to get over my hippee / hipster phobia and check it out!

2 months later
    #1039 7 years ago
    Quoted from volkdrive:

If you want meat poisoning, Sloppy Hogs Road house on 118 ave east of 97 st. southern style BBQ, on big plates! Poisoning in a great way, soooo much meat!
    http://sloppyhoggsbbq.com/#!/home

Good BBQ. I remember eating the "roadkill." It was awesome! Comical lack of veggies (small cups of coleslaw are the only greens). Ironic since the proprietor's spouse runs a vegan restaurant down the road.

3 weeks later
    #1077 7 years ago

Lucky's (Yellowhead Inn) is great. Easily accessible (right across the highway from Costco), you don't have to pay for parking, all 10 machines take real money (not tokens), and the machines are in great shape! Also, it's the only place to play Embryon!
    Kudos to Bill for keeping it simple and fun!

1 month later
    #1128 7 years ago

Can anyone confirm the BM66 at Carnival Cinemas in Red Deer Alberta? I saw the Kijiji ad but I would love to hear from a Red Deer Pinsider before I start planning a road trip!
    Thanks!

1 month later
    #1269 7 years ago

161 games for the Neo Geo, but you will only need one...Bust-A-Move!

pbobblen (resized).pngpbobblen (resized).png

1 month later
    #1427 6 years ago

Yeah, I just use "Pinball Leveller" on Android. Its free and no advertisements either!

2 months later
    #1566 6 years ago

Darn It!

#1590 6 years ago

If you don't have a crimper (or replacement pins) you could extract the existing pin from the plastic housing, solder the wire to the crimp end of that pin and then re-insert the pin into the connector housing. Only use a tiny bit of solder!

2 weeks later
    #1624 6 years ago

Any Star Wars pins hitting Edmonton soon?

1 month later
    #1673 6 years ago

Wait, there is more than one Trudeau I can bitch about now? JK

#1686 6 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

What did you guys think of Strikes and Spares(bally)? I see u owned one Meegis.There's one in town here for sale. I messaged the gent and hopefully gonna go take a look if he gets back to me..

Excellent game. Beware, this seller is still posting pictures of other people's machines and a Future Pinball virtual table. Starting to think this is a scam...

1 month later
    #1794 6 years ago

Oh, that must be why my neighbor was in my garage asking me questions about pinball. It just seemed so random.

2 weeks later
    #1830 6 years ago

TNA looks great! Been following it very closely and it's currently the ONLY new pin that I have ever considered buying. Even as a whitewood people were already freaking out over it! Love the placement of the pop bumper (and that target bank is at the perfect angle to feed that pop). Love the ball lock and love the fact that you can steal balls that someone else has locked (great group game). The lighting, sounds, a real skill shot, speed, this game just gets so many things right! With no subways and ramps, it's also going to be a breeze to keep clean and waxed!

t_shirt_tna_mens_1-3 (resized).jpgt_shirt_tna_mens_1-3 (resized).jpg

#1831 6 years ago
    Quoted from aeonblack:

I put the deposit down on TNA this morning. I need to mix some stuff up in my lineup.

Do you know how much it would cost (All In) for a TNA to be delivered to Edmonton?

2 weeks later
    #1843 6 years ago

Probably at Monster Mini Golf (next door to Gateway Lanes).

#1852 6 years ago

Digi-key kicks ass. As long as I order by 7pm (MST) I receive my stuff the next working day. Totally worth the $8 for shipping.

1 week later
    #1877 6 years ago

About 50% through my chores for the day. Still need to haul a Quicksilver into the house and up to the second floor. Now that it's colder, gotta make room in the garage for the wife's vehicle.

1 week later
    #1935 6 years ago

Invisiglass can only be cleaned by wiping with a fresh white Persian kitten. Use the back side, the other side has sharp edges.

2 weeks later
    #2149 6 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

I’ve gotten smaller coils from them before ran $20 and got me out of a pinch. That’s just ridiculous though.

Yeah it does seem ridiculous...at least until you price the same coils through Marco. Convert to Canadian dollars, then add shipping, then add 3-4 weeks for said shipping. If I was in a real hurry I'd choose SML too.

1 month later
    #2197 6 years ago

Just to get the word out, if anybody in Canada is looking for the highly coveted, highly polished chrome "Ninja Balls" from @ballbaron, they are available internationally via eBay for anybody outside of the USA. Here is a link to the 25 ball pack:

ebay.com link: itm

They are also available in packs of 100 or 300.
    Even in the pack of 25, they are cheaper than getting Silverjets shipped to Canada from Marco.

More info: www.ballbaron.com

#2213 6 years ago

I just want a sheet of regular glass too. I would rather spend that extra money on balls than something the cats are going to scratch up.

1 month later
    #2253 6 years ago

Marco's Guide to Canadian Shipping:

1. Pay for iGlobal shipping to Canada (bend over)
    2. Wait at least 3 weeks.
    3. Start wondering in week #4 if your shipment was lost.
    4. Call iGlobal and discover that they have even less information about the shipment than you do...Tracking? What Tracking?
    5. Eventually receive shipment.
    6. Scream or sigh (your choice) because at least one of the plastic parts will be defective.
    7. Re-Order.

Total time to fix machine (about 3 months)

1 week later
    #2276 6 years ago

Definitely need to drive down to Calgary and check out Spooky's TNA! So, how is it that Edmonton doesn't have this game yet?

1 month later
    #2335 6 years ago

Great video!

And kudos to Tommy nitro for getting another TNA out on location!

#2337 6 years ago

Please bring that El Dorado to YegPin! We need more EMs!

1 month later
    #2383 5 years ago
    Quoted from eggs4sale:

Anyone have opinions on if historically Stern premium models are more or less problematic than pros? Getting close to pulling the trigger but that extra coin better not be an albatross.

Which machines were you considering?

#2391 5 years ago

Proper Naptha (VM&P Naptha) can be purchased from Sherwinn Williams. Don't use camp fuel, too many other nasty components like rust inhibitors and who knows what else.

1 week later
    #2399 5 years ago

Wow, I can't believe they couldn't find it. I mean, it has their brand name on it! Maybe they only know it as "Reducer #3 ?"

IMG_20180524_171055937_BURST000_COVER_TOP (resized).jpgIMG_20180524_171055937_BURST000_COVER_TOP (resized).jpg

3 months later
    #2462 5 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Anybody do board work in Edmonton? I'd be willing to pay for good work. It's nothing major....replace a blown transistor. I just don't trust myself to do it.

Here is a link to one of the best "learning to solder" PDF documents:

https://cdn-learn.adafruit.com/downloads/pdf/adafruit-guide-excellent-soldering.pdf

It's a great beginner's guide with some really helpful photos of both good and bad solder joints.

3 weeks later
    #2511 5 years ago

Lucky's has a nice mix of new and older games.

1 week later
    #2528 5 years ago

Yesterday I managed to convince my wife that we should play some on-location pinball here in Edmonton. Believe me, this takes considerable effort as she is far from being a pin-head!
    So we fought the traffic and (once we arrived) decided to start with Iron Maiden. I love this game and was hoping she might like it too.

Guess what? Iron Maiden now costs $4 for one credit!

Now, this pricing seems a bit steep but that's not the issue.

The issue is that this new pricing was NOT UPDATED on the apron cards - so we were completely blind-sided.
    I had already dropped in two loonies (one for myself and one for my wife) and I thought "that's weird, the Start button isn't even flashing yet."
    I looked up at the screen and we only had a 1/2 credit! So we added two more loonies (like idiots) and then decided to share that one measly credit. Yippee!

So then we just went home after sharing one game on that one machine. And on the way home my wife keeps saying "you have pinball games at home, why don't you just play those instead?"

So, before I start listening to my wife's advice, I would like to politely ask Operators to PLEASE update your pricing on your aprons! Go ahead and charge $4 a game, just let your customers know the price before-hand! Also, if your machines advertise 3 games for $2 (when that's clearly not the case) either erase that text or setup the machine to match the card! Get some card stock and a sharpie and let's make this world a better place!

Rant finished...

#2531 5 years ago

Thanks for the information, I really had no idea that software updates could cause this issue! Now I feel like a jerk!

7 months later
    #2639 4 years ago

Black Knight has arrived at Lucky's Lounge in Edmonton . Thanks @ninjaboot!

2 months later
    1 year later
    #3182 2 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Totally off topic but not sure where to ask without starting a new thread and I know a few of you are in law enforcement so here's my question.
    Are assault rifles not illegal up here in Canada? Are law enforcement allowed to have/use them? Was walking the dog the other day and went by the cop shop and a cop came out with two fully automatic machine guns going to his truck. Both me and the wife were like wtf? Those clips defiently stood out as something I've never seen in person. First thought that maybe they were confiscated but he looked at ease walking with them. Maybe showing them off to his co-workers? Again I have no idea but was definitely freaky to see. Thanks

Last May the Federal Government added a bunch of Assault Rifles (including AR-15's) to the list of Prohibited weapons. You are correct about assault rifles being banned, but those rules only apply to civilians, not the Canadian military or law enforcement.
    https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms/need-know-the-government-canadas-new-prohibition-certain-firearms-and-devices

#3194 2 years ago

I can imagine the distinction between fully auto and semi-auto becomes a bit more clear when you are being shot at...

#3198 2 years ago

OK, I will steer this back on topic. Legit question: How is it that a pinball machine has not been used to smuggle guns across the border? Seems like the perfect Trojan horse to smuggle all sorts of goodies!

#3224 2 years ago

City of Edmonton recently introduced bins for compost and garbage. But when they introduced the bins they decided to reduce the frequency of garbage collection from weekly to bi-weekly while keeping composting and recycling on a weekly schedule. I believe the strategy here was to get folks into the habit of composting and recycling. Some people have adapted quicker than others.

It's been a bit of a learning curve for one neighbor. The crows, magpies and seagulls have been pitching in to help him identify the items that should be composted!

IMG_20210429_165650 (resized).jpgIMG_20210429_165650 (resized).jpg
    #3229 2 years ago

Is Yellowhead Inn (Lucky's Game Room) open yet? Can't want to play the crap out of Bill's machines!!!!!

#3231 2 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Yea it feels like ages since I've been there. I'm going to Arkadium this afternoon.
    I needs me some location play!!!

Yeah, I'm definitely ready to play someone else's machines after all this time!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider klr650.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/canadian-pinballers-thread-chat-here?tu=klr650 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.