(Topic ID: 137778)

The Canadian Pinhead Thread. What's Up?!

By Jeekayjay

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,733 posts
  • 298 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 64 days ago by Deleenhe
  • Topic is favorited by 196 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0368 (resized).JPG
    20231031_105232.jpg
    20231031_105149.jpg
    20231031_105152.jpg
    20231031_105214.jpg
    20231031_105211.jpg
    20231031_105220.jpg
    20231031_105209.jpg
    20231031_105158.jpg
    20231031_105207.jpg
    20231031_110908.jpg
    IMG_5584 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-20231006-WA0010.jpg
    82eifj (resized).jpg
    IMG_0432 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0078 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jwilson.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2 8 years ago

How about the collectors who come after you with pitchforks for daring to sell a game to the US, because they're unwilling to pay the US rate for the game?

#11 8 years ago

I get that there's one less game in Canada, but plenty of folks buy in the US and bring them back, myself included. I'd say I'm well into the black on imports vs. exports.

I'm headed down to Cleveland next week and it'll be tough not to buy something. You have to remember to double the sticker price! 25% exchange, 8% GST at the border!

#13 8 years ago

I dunno, talk to the guys in the thread I posted about bringing games to Allentown to show and potentially sell. I got reamed good.

You should do it for the good of the hobby!

#15 8 years ago
    Quoted from double_danger:

I've recently moved to downtown TO from Australia. I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for pinball locations in the downtown area? I have found a few places (like Get Well and Handlebar) but a lot of the locations listed in the pinside map seem to be gone

There's games at 3030 on Dundas. You should join the Facebook group for Toronto pinballers.

Also is it true the city has a law that only one machine is allowed in each location?

Parkdale specifically has a bylaw about no more than three I believe. But that's just that area.

#19 8 years ago

Your best bet is to ask around local collectors. I don't think there's any Canadian retailers other than Starburst now.

#56 8 years ago

Why bother with Canada when they could go right to China and save even more?

I've noticed even the older stuff has dried up a bit, but then it's summer so everyone is at the cottage.

I'm surprised that more Americans aren't up here getting massive discounts, since we seem to sell games for the same dollar amount as the US, but it's actually 30% off.

#108 8 years ago

I acutally found House of Targ by accident. We were in Ottawa for a long weekend and stopped by the new Park they've built there, then we decided to look for something to eat nearby on my phone and their Google listing had pins in the photo. It was just over the bridge!

Nice find. I was bummed the D&D wasn't working since I was telling my wife about that game only the day before.

2 weeks later
    2 months later
    #252 8 years ago

I think I rank talking about pinball prices up there with talking about politics or religion - neither is going to end well.

2 weeks later
    #286 8 years ago
    Quoted from QuickSilverShelby:

Yup, the Canadian dollar is a train wreck now. Anyone in Canada have a Mustang LE or Premium they want to sell?

You mean, sell it to you at a loss since they could get more for it in the US?

I'll never understand this mentality that somehow Canadians should leave money on the table "for the good of pinball." More like the good of your wallet.

#288 8 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

Its okay, I don't expect you to understand.

I'm not allowed in your little private club anyway, no need to sugarcoat it.

1 week later
    #334 8 years ago
    Quoted from kiwi:

Bit late in the game, but thought I'd get back into it.

Welcome! You should come out to a Toronto Pinball League night. Even if you don't play regularly, most of the Toronto pinball community know each other through it so it's a good place to make pinball friends.

2 weeks later
    #426 8 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

looking for any places that sell bottled beer!!

There's only the Beer Store (litterally, that's the name!) and the LCBO for bottled beer. Local craft brewers can sell their own beers at the brewery, too.

Although I think there's a few Loblaw's with beer now? That's very new.

As for playing around there, I'm not personally aware of any places - only ones I know are west of you by quite a bit.

#436 8 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

Yes they do. I was confused by the post as well and I live here.

I assumed he meant to take away, which is pretty common in the US. You have to drink it there in the restaurant!

1 week later
    #473 8 years ago

Parts guy is indeed kind of crusty. Being a monopoly means you don't need to be nice.

There's a place out of Ottawa that just started up selling basics, but if you want anything specific you need to go through the US.

1 month later
    #585 8 years ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Tommy was able to give me a great deal, better price than starburst or John's jukes.

Since he has to buy them from Starburst, it makes me wonder how that was possible!

Or maybe Starburst just really marks the games up a lot.

1 month later
    #756 7 years ago
    Quoted from willbeEM:

Eh I just gotta ask do you guys consider a 6k pinball game an investment, say like a classic car?

More like a new Toyota. It'll probably lose value, but not as much as a Chevy.

3 weeks later
    #824 7 years ago

Niagara Falls is about an hour and a half drive from Toronto. Make a weekend of it - see the Falls, play some slots, get crazy cheap HF tools.

#830 7 years ago

Popeye's is a million times better.

2 months later
    #907 7 years ago

If anyone in the Toronto area is interested, I'm looking for players to join my team for the next High Park Pinball League coming up in September. It's every other Wednesday, very casual. Runs at Cabin Fever which has an excellent line up including Ghostbusters.

Check out the page:

https://www.facebook.com/highparkpinballleague/

If you're interested, just drop me a PM. Thanks.

1 year later
    #1710 6 years ago

I'm considering selling my TRON:LE to fund a purchase of Dialed In. I bought it new from Starburst and it's never left my gameroom - still have the receipt. Only mod is the arcade cabinet and Titan rubbers.

Anyone interested?

2 months later
    #2081 6 years ago

I could have probably picked up my DILE from Starburst (I refuse to call it Playdium or Player One) but I decided to order from Nitro instead because I find Starburst's business practices terrible.

Hopefully others do the same and hit them in the pocketbook so they realize their horrible customer service and prices won't be tolerated anymore.

3 years later
    #3210 2 years ago

No one is hunting deer with a Desert Eagle .45

9 months later
    #3762 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinPickle:

Just arrived… on its way to Ottawa on Monday for a trade. [quoted image]

Good job getting the Porsche in the shot too.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jwilson.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/canadian-pinballers-thread-chat-here?tu=jwilson and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.