(Topic ID: 137778)

The Canadian Pinhead Thread. What's Up?!

By Jeekayjay

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 3,341 posts
  • 238 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 minutes ago by Aquapin
  • Topic is favorited by 156 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    A924B201-9C4C-4ECD-8C04-84E76B6B0EC4 (resized).jpeg
    20210626_171643.jpg
    20210626_131309.jpg
    images.jpeg-3 (resized).jpg
    LineTrimmerCartoon (resized).jpg
    IMG_20210429_165650 (resized).jpg
    DBE3AC39-BCF3-470E-BCE3-E0021836D6B7 (resized).jpeg
    E3DC57C4-2454-4BB3-A00F-ACA121D832EA (resized).jpeg
    814DDB82-F829-4C06-8542-9E0993AE5C62 (resized).jpeg
    20210214_120035 (resized).jpg
    20210214_115249 (resized).jpg
    20210214_115107 (resized).jpg
    NL_Hotel_runner_flat_720x[1] (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flashinstinct.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#28 6 years ago

Yeah unfortunately I think most people will be priced out of GOT even on the Pro models. $7200 ish right now for a pro in Canada. If they increase the price even remotely they will lose more business just due to the CDN dollar.

#44 6 years ago
    Quoted from TBatti:

Yes I would like some plastics for my ST TNG. Heck I even need screws not sure where the best place is to get them. Trying to figure out what size I need as for some reason there are a half dozen missing.

http://www.pinrestore.com/ for all the screws you need. Or even https://www.fastenal.com/home have stores in canada that you can order from, just complete your shopping cart on the site and call the store nearest you.

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from Meegis:

I think you completely misunderstood my point.
    But lets use SB. They say you can pay is USD if you choose to. So they base their pricing on the exchange. If the exchange turns up in our favor do you believe they will lower their prices?
    And if they do, would it not upset the buyers who bought when the dollar was shit?

I tend to look at pin pricing like my trip to the grocery store. One time I'll pay $6.99 for something the next week I'll pay $7.99 for the same item. At one point it will be to the buyers discretion to buy or not to buy depending on price.

You want to play, you have to pay or find an alternative.

#132 6 years ago

Well if anyone wants to get rid of their TWD prem to fund GOT let me know.

1 week later
    #167 6 years ago
    Quoted from Willathrilla:

Anybody know a place I can rent an escalera in Calgary?

Escalera = 4 friends and a case of beer

1 week later
    #193 6 years ago

Oksomeoneneeds to ahi me thisshittybeerjust so I can taste it
    In return I'll ship some from Ontario

#195 6 years ago

Here's my selection for the weekend. 40% Brooklyn made vodka and 95.6% reserve. Ice no fill.

image.jpg

2 months later
    #271 5 years ago

Say goodbye to NIB pins my friends the US just hiked their interest rates and our dollar is about to take another dump!

#304 5 years ago

$649. + taxes and customs. Better get your lube ready now. I could never justify that for colour.

#310 5 years ago
    Quoted from Gorno:

Customs too.... shit. I didn't even factor that in. I don't see myself purchasing another. At least not at these prices.

Yeah and if they chose FedEx or UPS for their shipment method that nice little color DMD of yours will cost more like $850 bucks.

#312 5 years ago
    Quoted from poffenroth:

Keep in mind that you can do your own customs brokerage... http://borderbee.com/blog/how-to-self-clear-your-parcel-with-customs
    T.

You can of course.

For instance FedEx and UPS charge customers roughly $15 dollars just to process the payment. What is that in case you are wondering. It's added to the final value that is written on your nice waiver notice when the driver shows up. Then they will charge you taxes on the item. So if the supplier combined shipping and the final price of the item together without an explanation you will be charged taxes on the full amount. And then they will had their brokerage fee. I remember buying a gumball machine from the states once for $49 US. I ended up paying close to $150 when everything was said and done.

2 weeks later
    #365 5 years ago
    Quoted from aeonblack:

How the hell did I rank 12th?! I wasn't even drinking!

That's the problem

#368 5 years ago
    Quoted from HoneyBadger:

What happened to attending every OPL this season? LOL

Wife's becoming a principal so she was in class on the weekend of the OPL in November and Dec was the xmas party. 2016 here I come.

#374 5 years ago

That logo leaves alot to be desired, I could have never read yegpin from the gp combo without the description. Marketing 101 that is bad. Their line up however is very nice

#387 5 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

Our dollar will be crap for 2016 but will bounce back in 2017, our economy usually lags the States by one year and they seem to be turning things around.

Bounce back is a strong word. In 2017 we might see the dollar back floating around 80 cents. I'd call that a hop.

#401 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinballophobe:

Just saw the cnd at .6996

It's not over. Get ready for the real but hurt to start come spring, it takes a few months to see the real effects of the US interest rates increase combined with the drop of oil. This is going to get real pretty.

#408 5 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

TBL price of 10k USD works out to over 16k CAD in Ontario.
    Those machines will be quite rare here.

Just wait until the end of the year. some forecaster are saying a 59cent Loonie is not impossible.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/macquarie-loonie-forecast-1.3401644

""Once [the loonie] reaches this level," Doyle said, "it should remain subdued through [the end of] 2018 and potentially even longer."

#410 5 years ago

I wonder if that man is buying lots usd to hedge.

He did predict the .69 loonie

#418 5 years ago

It is craziness but YOLO. With the Cnd at 69 it cost 1.44 to buy 1 used and that without conversion fees.
    But if stern announced Star Wars with a LCD designed by Ritchie. I would be on that train

On the crazy train. Lol. I love Star Wars but not $9k STar WARs

1 week later
    #482 5 years ago
    Quoted from puck:

image_(resized).jpeg

Man I can't get over that horrid cabinet

#496 5 years ago

Cnd gaining steam 72.4 and rising !!

Gaining steam....it's more like it's fizzaling out it's last little puffs that are left in the tank before the plunging into the abyss.

2 weeks later
    #520 5 years ago

Anybody else just order NIB and waiting on Stern to Deliver. Not complaining just wondering how many of us are in the hold cue? I ordered min in Mid Jan.

#527 5 years ago

Actually talked to Michel (starburst) Today. It should be in the house within the next 7-10 business days. Can't wait to kill some Zombies. If other people have ordered then they should becoming in very soon.

#533 5 years ago

Thursday's deadline came and gone. Still no TWD. This waiting is killing me.

#562 5 years ago
    Quoted from NinJaBooT:

All I paid was custom fees. 80 bucks

Folks in alberta only pay 5% tax.

1 month later
    #719 5 years ago

Someone just told me GB Pro retails for $7500CDN + tx is that true?

#723 5 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

You would have a hard time finding one for under $6K, fully modded ones can be even more expensive to acquire. Good luck they are a rare bird.

You mean you are not going to find one under $6K unless it's routed and in need of some attention. And even then I don't think you'll find one that easily. You will be paying upward of $7K for a pro without a mod on it.

1 week later
    #742 5 years ago

With the CDN dollar closing in on 80 cents on the US dollar wondering if some of you guys have suppliers in the US that you buy NIB pinballs from. The GB pinball is retailing at $6995 here + taxes (13% for me) wondering if it's viable to just buy it from the states now? Anyone have any good suppliers I should talk to?

#744 5 years ago
    Quoted from libtech:

Yea no kidding, gb is selling for 4900-5000 usd there, which is 6100-6250can currently still probably about par if you shipped one up, but if your close to the border and could go pick one up..

I've heard people getting some GB pro in the States for $4700 shipped, not sure if that is just "hot air" or actually true. but if it's true that would mean after taxes I would pay $7100 CDN NIB

#746 5 years ago

Yeah I've talked to a few places in the states today and they are all selling at the same price. Seems that Stern put measures in place to make things even harder to get a good deal.

#761 5 years ago

OK folks maybe I am missing something here but here is my calculation. Please note the numbers used here are close to the quotes I have received. We will use $5K as a nice round number.

Drop shipping (to state side terminal) is included in that price. = $0 extra cost

Gas cost to go get pinball = $30 CDN

Current exchange rate = 1.25733
    Foreign transaction fee is typical 2.5% (bank or credit card)

$5000 * 1.25733 = 6286.65 * 2.5% = $6443.81 * taxes = $7281.51 + 30 + 25 terminal fee = $7336.51 CDN and I know the calculation could be lower. There are some places that are cheaper than the bank when it comes to exchange

So in order for Cineplex to match or beat their price that would have to sell me the machine at $6492 + tax.

And the quote I got was lower than $5K so there is currently a $500 price difference. And I would rather keep the $200 I save and buy some mods than give it to anyone else.

#767 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

What your missing is you don't know Starbursts price. You called a bunch of US distributors but not the canadian one.
    LIKE EVERY DISTRIBUTOR THEY CAN'T ADVERTISE A LOWER PRICE.
    Call starburst for a price!! if not then how can you know the difference in price? they sell for less then there listed price did you read any of the recent posts?

I called SB TO and MTL this morning. Both didn't get back to me. i will wait until I see what they have to say but from experience I am not so hopeful but I could be pleasently surprised

#771 5 years ago

Well I just might end up getting my pinball in BC

#774 5 years ago

I got a call back from Michel at SB today. I'll make my decision Monday. One thing is for sure. I'm buying in CDN.

3 weeks later
    #819 5 years ago
    Quoted from eh97ac:

I want to order from Harbour Freight. They do ship to Canada but only via phone orders and the right person. Anyone have a name and/or time of day? I figure overnight shift since the take orders 24/7. My thought is night shift people will just push the shipment through so they can get back to whatever they were doing.

You will rethink your purchase once they give you the shipping quote

#821 5 years ago

What are you ordering I'm going down in about 2 weeks I could always ship it back once I am back in Ottawa. Last time I tried ordering something it was like
    $80 US to ship it.

3 weeks later
    #848 5 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

Headed out east for the August long weekend! I'll be in Ottawa for 2 nights, then Montreal for 3.
    Will be checking out House of Targ and North Star Pinball. Any locals know of any more spots to hit up?

You just named it when it comes to pinball. There are no other venues in Ottawa that have the selection that Targ does. You'll find the odd pin at theatres but in terms of pinball that's pretty much it. Unless you want to try Fun Haven but it's more of a kids kingdom kind of place and it might have 3 games. MacArthur bowling lanes has two games. Mind you Geoff (pinhead) was just evicted from the bowling lanes in Merivale he had an incredible set up there. Someone who wont be named sneak his way passed him and stole his spot and replaced the games with kid redemption arcades.

Hit me up when you get in town.

1 week later
    #865 5 years ago

How much would you pay for a TF LE (HUO)? I'm not looking to start a debate but I've heard people paying lower than $4500 and some paying $4900. I don't want to sound like an ass when I make an offer. The pro seems to be the more popular model. I've owned the Pro and really enjoyed it.. Would I be kick myself to get an LE?

1 week later
    #878 5 years ago
    Quoted from Cam:

Has anyone shipped a game to the US? Any idea what it would cost to ship to Texas?

For all our cheap shipping in Canada Americans get absolutely murdered. I shipped a game from virginia to ny a few years back and it costed me close to $380 I think. So to have it cross the border from Canada man I really wouldn't know but would be in the realm of "very expensive". Call sameday they'll give you a ball park

1 week later
    #887 5 years ago
    Quoted from Jeekayjay:

Whose picking up a Blue Ribbon?

At that price Stern can keep them. I swear I think they've gone off the deep end. I seriouly think they've created it to liquidate the amount of parts they've bought for Whoa Nellie.

#891 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

I don't think they have announced a price yet. I doubt it will be as much as whoa Nellie. This one is way cheaper to build. No wood rails , no wooden crate, just standard legs and side rails.... but I could be wrong have to wait and see.

I read in another thread that the msrp was the same as newer sterns $5995

#893 5 years ago
    Quoted from Mitch:

That's all rumors they haven't announced a price yet.

yeah re-read the thread...it's speculation. Now someone said that PBR will be the reseller....this is funny

2 weeks later
    #917 5 years ago

Beer at 7am. Hope it came with steak and eggs

1 month later
    #978 5 years ago

Woot Woot. Congrats Jason. I've been having a hard time keeping my trap shut.

pokeys (resized).png

3 months later
    #1073 4 years ago

Anyone have an idea how much ACDC Pro is worth?

2 weeks later
    #1108 4 years ago

Anyone know a Mike Noseworthy from the edmonton area? About to do a deal with the guy but just want reassurance.

#1112 4 years ago

I've heard Sameday and Day N Ross do not ship pinball machines anymore. Anyone know which freight company insures and ships pins by any chance? or is uship now the default way to go?

2 weeks later
    #1126 4 years ago

I purchased a TFLE last October 28th from someone in Toronto. The person had stated it was HUO and posted a few pictures. I had asked if there was anything wrong with the game and the seller assure me that it didn't. When I got there a few dings that were not mentioned by the seller where found but nothing too serious (very minor) but the game pretty dirty and Optimus would not register properly but nothing that can't be fixed. I couldn't really argue with the guy since he "apparently was at work doing overtime" so I couldn't really argue with the wife. I also realized that the game only had code 1.2 but I didn't make much of it. I took off the back box to fit it in the car and drove back 5 hours home. The next day, I replug everything and fired up the machine and attempted to update the code. USB would not get detected. Took me a week just to find a few different USB sticks to give it a go and still nothing would work. At the time I should have called him on it but just wanted the game to work so called Chaz up at Stern. He preceded to tell me to try and change the ROM. Wait another 2 weeks to receive ROM. Still no dice. Called Michel at Startburst and he told me to send him the board. 3 weeks go by and Michel states that he can't figure out what is wrong and will send the board back to Stern. 4 months go by from day of purchase and now I get a call from Michel last night saying the board was defective and out of warranty and needed to be repaired to the amount of $350. Now with that said I know I probably don't have a recourse from the seller.

So what would you do? Call him up and call him on it? Or let it slide? I'm very conflicted because I don't want to burn bridges but I just really feel this was a sly move that ended costing me money.

#1131 4 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

If it were me I would let it slide. You don't know for sure that he knew there was a board problem when he sold it, and it is now months down the road from the sale. Would be more cautious dealing with him next time (if there is a next time) and if there are any red flags/concerns walk away from the deal.

All is resolved. The old owner was not aware. Tried to keep to conversation civil but I guess my written english manners need to be refined. Either way told him $70 would do since he didn't know and it's stand up of him to be willing to pay my full requested amount, but since he didn't know I don't really want to take advantage of his good will.

All in all still happy to get the TF board back and finally be able to update the much needed code.

2 weeks later
    #1189 4 years ago

Sold my Ghostbusters yesterday but what is the deal with all the douchebags on kijiji? I put my ghostbusters up for $7300 including $675 worth of mods and get people giving me shit telling me they can buy it new in the box for $5000... or being called a complete asshole because I dare to sell it at a price they cant afford??? How do you guys deal with the lunacy?

#1196 4 years ago

I sold it for asking to a guy that appreciates the value. He also bought my Iron Man Vault. Great guy to deal with. He's barely active on forums. He didn't argue price. He was more wondering if everything stated was included LOL. I had to tell him yes twice.

1 week later
    #1227 4 years ago

Doing full restorations make sense if you are going to keep the game or get paid an arm and a leg to do them. I spent close to 600 hours on a WCS that I thought I was going to keep. I got the game for $3000ish, then bought roughly $1200-$1500 of parts and charged $5900 for it. So I paid myself $1400-$1700 which comes up to about $2.33-2.83 per hour.

Come to think of it I might end up selling all my equipment to do restores as I don't see myself ever doing them again. It adds up..

- Breathing system $500
    - Compressor $500
    - Turbine HVLP System $650
    - HVLP Gun $80
    - Orbital sander $80
    - Tumbler $500
    - Desoldering station $400
    - Sandpapers ($100) per restore
    - Buffing Motor $350
    - Buffing Wheels ($50) per restore
    - ultrasonic cleaner = $400
    - Airbrush $100
    - Airbrush compressor $150
    - Createx Paint $50
    - Frisket ($15) per job
    - Exacto and blades $10

Minimum investment to do full restores = $3975.

And all the damn extra parts that you order. It's never ending. I'd restore another game if someone would be willing to give me $4000+ cash for my time + cost of parts and even that would not cover minimum wage.

Just to give you an idea
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wcs-restoration-journal

#1238 4 years ago
    Quoted from shaub:

Does anyone own a Full Throttle? If so, how are you liking it? I played it a bit last May at YEGPin and enjoyed it.
    Is anyone in on Alien?

Talk to Frolic I'll assume he will have both.

#1253 4 years ago

What would someone pay for that Shadow on pinball revolution. $5400 seems very steep for the condition of the cabinet and the fact there is an overlay on the sanctum area? Partial leds. I thought nice condition Shadows went for about $4300-$4500 CAD or am I out to lunch? As well wondering how much a cactus canyon project goes for these days?

#1255 4 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

Shadow ~3400 usd + conversion and tax

I see what you did there LOL.

3 months later
    #1556 4 years ago

Please become Canada's second official distributor so you can cut Player One at the knees.

1 week later
    #1574 4 years ago

Serious question, how many of you are still buying NIB at these prices? How many have abandoned the idea of buying NIB? Reaching close to $9000 for a Pro is completely non-sense, especially this SW pro.

1 month later
    #1635 4 years ago
    Quoted from FlipperFreak:

Nitro Pinball is expanding operations and looking to increase our tech support across Canada. We want individuals from the community that are passionate about pinball and love assisting with diagnosis & repair. Your primary focus will be NIB pinball machines via Stern, Chicago Gaming, Jersey Jack Pinball, American Pinball, Heighway Pinball, Dutch Pinball & Homepin. Please call us toll free 1-855-DO-NITRO (36-64876) or email [email protected]
    Thx, T

This is awsome news Tommy

#1636 4 years ago

Anyone in the Ottawa have a Dialed-In that I could try?

3 weeks later
    #1697 4 years ago

I love all these PMs I'm getting from pricing experts that my TWD HUO pro is not worth more than $6000 and that I should be thankful for getting such incredible offers. What's with the serious douchebaggyness???

#1700 4 years ago

Worst is my twd is up for trade....

#1703 4 years ago

That's the thing I don't really want to get rid of it but the kids are scared of it. At least the oldest one is (go figure). I've pushed it to the end of the row and still with it turned off my oldest doesn't want to come in the room. So he's either gonna have to toughen up or I'll have to man up and let it go. As for what to trade it for... I am not sure... I've had trade offers mostly for older Williams games + cash which is good but I'm so reluctant to let it go that I'd have to find the perfect game to trade. I'm a very much "Mode based" kinda guy, I love completing missions. I might even sell it and get a Star Wars but Stern's lack luster of features + "ghosting is normal" + "price hike" have rubbed me the wrong way. So it really boils down to...Perhaps finding the right Williams game or a newer Stern like Aerosmith

I've been offered a Shadow + cash and we are both happy with the arrangement, I'm just not sure on Shadow...seems like loop loop loop kinda game unless someone can tell me other wise. Ive seen the videos of the strategies and really like the ramp switch but wondering if it's going to wear off quick.

To some it up I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place at the moment.

#1707 4 years ago

Ok in your opinion which is better TWD or Shadow?

#1709 4 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

Personally, I prefer the modern games with deeper rulesets, so TWD is better. Two of the best ever though.

Not a tough decision for you you own both LOL

1 month later
    #1839 4 years ago

As anyone in eastern Canada bought from Nitro Pinball? If so can you PM me

2 weeks later
    #1861 3 years ago

Its harveys fault, no its the war in the middle east, its the current government's fault....hell its all bullshit.

1 week later
    #1927 3 years ago
    Quoted from Indusguys:

Hey guys, what's everyone using to clean the roman glass. I bought a sheet at Yegpin and I'll be damned if I can't get this thing clean. It's like there is a film/residue on the surface that I can't get off?

7a366ffa857819991d554f086b283d7a (resized).png

#1929 3 years ago

If this is soe form of invisiglass you should not used amonia based cleaners to clean it

#1989 3 years ago

This was not Stern's requirement, it was Player One's. You'll have to take it up with them.

Well they can go f themselves. For all purposes i will get someone in alberta to pay for me..thats if i want to buy another cookie cutter stern.

#2044 3 years ago
    Quoted from Flippers_com:

I can tell you that Player One (1) (who used to be Starburst) is the ONLY Canadian distributor for Stern Pinball. They have a network across Canada of authorized resellers of their lines, of which we are currently the only one in BC.
    'nuff said.
    John :-#)#
    "Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."

Well that's great news. It means that P1 would have violated their agreement with Nitro and Stern before it even started which in turns means that Tommy can start selling to us in Ontario. Suits me just fine

#2070 3 years ago

P1 will now try to do everything in their power to prevent this. Get ready for some pinball drama!

God forbid they get some competition.... :O

#2104 3 years ago
    Quoted from chinosts:

So I have a question... You guys live in Canada. Why don't you order direct from the manufacturer when buying new pinballs? Why go through a distributer? If you organize amongst yourselves you could share shipping costs etc.
    What is stopping you from organizing a road trip to Stern and coming back with a truck full of pinballs? What am I missing here?
    BTW Ill be in Canada in a couple of weeks and would love to catch up with some Canadian pinheads, drink some beer and play pinball. Are there any events coming up? I'll be there until end of January...
    Cheers!

Because Stern only sells to authorized distributors in this case Tommy and Player 1, every one else buys from these two. The collector ends up having to choose from limited options. The picture was grimmer a few days ago we only had 1 authorized distributor for the whole contry until Tommy announced the great news.

If you are in the vacinity of Ottawa drop me a line.

#2135 3 years ago
    Quoted from JoshODBrown:

For shits and giggles, I contacted SML this afternoon and they quoted me $8499 + Tax for a new Guardians Of The Galaxy Pro! That's cray cray

LMAO....

1 week later
    #2159 3 years ago
    Quoted from chinosts:

Hahahah yeah like Australia! I'll be in Vancouver on Monday for the day.. (fresh off the plane).. The gf has suggested checking out the Cappilano bridge which looks cool plus doing some shopping while we are there. I thought the science museum and the space centre looked pretty good and I thought we could find some pinnies for a game or two.. Bar 340 has been recommended so I guess I'm going there unless someone can suggest better..

If you are going to be in vancouver why not take the gondola ride in squamish before winter roles in...or should I say rain. Plenty of things to do in nature out there. Whistler shouldn't be missed but it's probably further than you want to go. Rent some skis for the day and go skiing. Or find a place to go see the salmon swim up streams....(not sure if it's the time of year for that)

3 months later
    #2322 3 years ago
    Quoted from toasterman04:

Well a coworker gave me a free mini fridge for the garage.....

Watch your electrical bill skyrocket. Those little fuc*ers dont have to abide to energy standards. The one i bought new for my house was costing me 15 bucks a month....

5 months later
    #2461 3 years ago
    Quoted from pkrobin:

Good news, the GoC has a new business venture to earn back the $4.5B they lost on the last one. Looks like a winner. [quoted image]

We don't need political BS on this thread. Let's keep things impartial please.

1 week later
    #2490 3 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Thanks Adib! It would actually be for photos, the missus wants wedding pics with a pinball machine if it's do-able.

How about a imamaculate baywatch?

10 months later
    #2681 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Who owns the pins at the Edmonton airport?! They should be ashamed of themselves! That Indiana Jones is beat to shit and neglected beyond words! I was there two years ago and it was pathetic then.. just seen a pic of it today.. same shit! Wowzers, someone go rescue that thing!

I would love to take that Indy pin off their hands to finally finish my decal target set. No sense in getting a restored one to do what I want.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flashinstinct.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside