(Topic ID: 137778)

The Canadian Pinhead Thread. What's Up?!

By Jeekayjay

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,733 posts
  • 298 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Deleenhe
  • Topic is favorited by 196 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0368 (resized).JPG
    20231031_105232.jpg
    20231031_105149.jpg
    20231031_105152.jpg
    20231031_105214.jpg
    20231031_105211.jpg
    20231031_105220.jpg
    20231031_105209.jpg
    20231031_105158.jpg
    20231031_105207.jpg
    20231031_110908.jpg
    IMG_5584 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-20231006-WA0010.jpg
    82eifj (resized).jpg
    IMG_0432 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0078 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dzoomer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#248 8 years ago

Let's talk about how the currency exchange has changed the pinball scene in Canada.

Newly released pins are much more expensive now. I'd say this will limit their infiltration to Canada, signifcantly. If they become popular (i.e, get a good reputation and rating), demand should become high and supply low. I'd hypothesize that their value will hold well, even if expensive to purchase now. Not many people have the capability or desire to import a significant number of pins from the US, in enough numbers to offset demand significantly. So imo buying a new pin is not necessarily a bad thing even if expensive right now. The thing is to pick the winners or good ones.

There are a few relatively recent pins drawn into the inflated price scheme with limited supply in Canada too. It seems TWD is there. TWD was released before the exchange went really bad, but there was a lot of negativity on the forum here and it appears that the pin infiltration into Canada was quite limited. Now the pin is rating high, and Canada demand is high with supply very low. To the extent that I've recently seen multiple posts with canadian members here ordering twd prems even at current exchange rates. Some are doing it, many are probably not though. Those current prem orders will be paying more for their prem than I did for the LE. So imo I see TWD holding it's value very well in Canada through the currency exchange fluctuations. By the time the currency exchange moderates back I'd expect the TWD license to have expired and that TWD will no longer be available. And supply will continue to be low in the country.

Then we have a grey area imo, where older pinball machines were bought before the exchange rate changes, and I wonder what is a fair price for them. Star trek, Met, ACDC, Xmen, IM, etc, etc all were purchased for much less money before the currency exchange changes. And there seems to be plenty of supply to meet demand. I wonder and am interested where resale goes for them. Some people are adjusting them to the currency exchange, meaning much higher prices. Are they selling? Some may be yes, some may be no. I'd like to see over more time than we've had thus far. I have a hard time paying a high price on an old game that sold for much less and has a relatively good or high supply in Canada just because of a currency exchange difference. I'd rather wait for the currency exchange to get better like it was earlier and then buy it in Canada, since supply is good. I'm in no rush. It's not like the currency exchange rate changes has affected the supply of these older games in Canada like the previous two examples I've given. One has the luxury of waiting on those older games if you want, supply should be reasonable, not so much on the newer games imported in much lower volumes.

Anybody want to discuss? The currency exchange right now is definitely changing the pinball scene in Canada. Where are you sitting on it?

3 months later
    #549 8 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

Nope. Going to have to make a trip down to Regina to play BallyKissFan's LE.
    I think it's a combination of all you mentioned, plus the colour changing GI/inserts. Just make the game that more intense.
    The Walker Bombs add another layer to the strategy as well. Like the VIP pass in AC/DC, being able to extend/start multiballs is huge.
    I would like to have a Pro and a Prem . Pro on route, Prem at home!

I have a local TWDLE. Love it. Amazingly fun pin imo and worth the upgrade for the additional PF options, the light show and and walker bombs. I missed the recent SOT club meeting play night. You're welcome to come over and play; I'd love to do some of the same at SOT or your place as a horsetrade.

1 week later
    #588 8 years ago

Hey Freezie, it was great to meet and deal with a local enthusiast and collector. Thx for everything.

#597 8 years ago

Lot's of people bought TWD pro and prem here in Canada during the latest run over the last few months. Seems a fair amount of GOT pros/prem's and LE's have made it too. I'm sure that some GB will make their way over as well. I don't doubt that less new pins are coming into Canada now but there are still some coming.

#600 8 years ago
    Quoted from freezie:

im looking at bringing up a GOT prem from the usa as opposed to buying it here . it helps that im only 130 km from the border too and have a place right at the border that will accept my machines .

I'm very interested in how you like this machine if you get it. Some very intriguing new machine options. I really enjoy the newer machines.

Quoted from pingod:

5% GST in Alberta,other provinces pay more HST instead.

Note, poster quoted a member in a province where it was 13% border taxes (pst and gst).

#603 8 years ago

Really like color dmds but don't have any. One of the last mods for me, and at current prices only on super favorite keeper pins.

Here's a recent pic and the first to share of my pin room, basic but enough space. Excuse the crappy quality, at least the overall framing is interesting. I'm really enjoying a new addition. Cheers.

V__F427_(resized).jpgV__F427_(resized).jpg

#606 8 years ago
    Quoted from Darth_Chris:

Have color dmd on AC/DC, MET, Avengers and Tron.
    Love it
    Met I think is the best, the dots are very good
    They need to do it for twd, dots are incredible too

Nice.

Newer pins ime have cooler dots lending themselves to a color dmd, and TWD has ime the best dots I've ever seen.

#638 8 years ago

GBLE is going to be crazy expensive in Canada. However, I don't see the dollar recovering significantly for multiple years and there is huge demand in the US, and it appears most if not all LE's are already gone. Seems to me that an LE buyer here likely won't take much of a hit when selling. It will be just money tied up in a pinball machine.

The beauty of the prem is there is no rush to buy. Wait and see how it plays.

#676 8 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

Shout out to dzoomer for opening up his home to me so I could try out TWD LE. Now I have to find the cash for a TWD Premium some how ...

20160315_204557_(resized).jpg

It was a great time. I look forward to more.

The high scores don't mean a whole lot on the machine. I've changed code with some regularity because of all the great options for TWD and it wipes out the scores. GC was over 500 million before the last change. Haven't played as much since with lots of other life priorities.

Considering smokedog's pinball experience, I think he'll put up some high scores on many machines.

#681 8 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

I'd like to keep both! My location players would kill me for getting rid of TWD.

I like your style.

And another enthusiast added for the TWD prem/le. All good things.

8 months later
    #1047 7 years ago
    Quoted from SUPERBEE:

Thanks guys, Still on the fence. Do you know if there will be any more costs once it arrives in Canada ?

PST, GST and any duty for importation (by country or product). There is a basic list for duties collected by Canada by country of origin, etc (%, like PST and GST). That's for regular post. Couriers such as FEDEX and UPS will be the same plus charge additional fees for 'importing' with them. They have a fee schedule for that which can be found by search.

2 months later
    #1200 7 years ago

Funny guys

#1201 7 years ago

Been evaluating my next pin buy options for months. Now was a good time for purchase and it looks like I'm getting a new MMR LE.

There were various other pinball candidates but there was nothing local I liked pin-wise, and not much out there interested me NIB... plus I don't do preorder (don't get me started lol); in stock is the way to go. I've had my eye on MMR for a while but was in no rush to buy. When the last call for MMR orders was communicated recently (production ending) and AFMR was confirmed that spurred me to finally decide to get the MMR.

I'm supposedly getting the last MMR LE in stock at Starburst. No fuss no muss is always preferable. I went LE since I wanted the shaker and the discount on the high res dmd color upgrade is significant.

Happy flipping.

#1203 7 years ago
    Quoted from Hammerhead:

When did this happen?

Been around a month. I haven't seen any pics yet.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/amfr-pps-announced-next-remake

1 week later
    #1241 7 years ago

I'd wait a year or two for Alien, it has a long way to go. No one on the planet has ever said that early run pinball machines are better. Especially from a relatively new manufacturer.

Freezie has owned a Full Throttle for a while and is a good guy.

Anyone going for AFMR? It's a known quantity (a highly rated pin and faithful reproduction) and supposedly shipping relatively soon. Superpinball posted that he's in.

#1245 7 years ago

Posting up the Flinstones I picked up from earflaps in the for sale thread. Happy to keep it local. Great restored machine. Cool theme. Some details here. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-in-canada-have-any-pins-they-want-to-sell/page/125#post-3661148

WP_20170318_23_49_44_Pro (2) (resized).jpgWP_20170318_23_49_44_Pro (2) (resized).jpg

#1251 7 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Is there a color dmd for flintstones? That would look amazing in color. Amazing amount of work Curtis put into it. Would love to try it when I'm by you? I bring beer

Ya, there is a color dmd for it; looks great. LOL at a lineup to play the pin; libations are great .

'
    '

Cheers on Pokey's.

1 week later
    #1289 7 years ago

I helped a family member with a cell phone plan a few years back for < $14 per month taxes and everything in. It recently went up to $18. I wish their land line was that cheap.

7 months later
    #1965 6 years ago

Congratulations! Competition breeds excellence.

5 months later
    #2385 5 years ago

All the premium NIB experience I've had has been great, including both Stern and CGC. Minimal minimal minimal issues. I'd recommend NIB purchases as long as one is not super anal (then look for a confirmed perfect used); great great pins.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dzoomer.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/canadian-pinballers-thread-chat-here?tu=dzoomer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.