(Topic ID: 137778)

The Canadian Pinhead Thread. What's Up?!

By Jeekayjay

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,733 posts
  • 298 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 85 days ago by Deleenhe
  • Topic is favorited by 196 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0368 (resized).JPG
    20231031_105232.jpg
    20231031_105149.jpg
    20231031_105152.jpg
    20231031_105214.jpg
    20231031_105211.jpg
    20231031_105220.jpg
    20231031_105209.jpg
    20231031_105158.jpg
    20231031_105207.jpg
    20231031_110908.jpg
    IMG_5584 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-20231006-WA0010.jpg
    82eifj (resized).jpg
    IMG_0432 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0078 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider darcy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#59 8 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

The thing is though, my whole life the Canadian dollar has always been 20-30% less than US, so these last years were an anomaly. I wouldn't bet on seeing a par dollar again.

It will continue to go up and down. For Canada's manufacturing sector a lower dollar is what is needed. Over 80% of Canadian made products are sold to the USA. The lower dollar helps our products sell very well. Bad for Canadian Tourists, and us, buying new USA made pinball machines.

#71 8 years ago

On new Stern games, from what I have seen, any of them that get built for Canada have the Tournament Button included.

#73 8 years ago

I've seen Pinsiders Premium and LE games in the States with out the Tournament Button. I seen Pro games here in Canada with the button.

#76 8 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

No, US pins don't get the tournament button, but Canadian pins do. Don't know why, seems weird to me.

Possibly it is something that Stern Pinball installs on all 'EXPORT' pins. It could be a bonus for Export distro's. No clue really, some one could contact them regarding this.

#84 8 years ago

Here is a brief run down on the Dollar.

July 11 1864 - 1 CDN Dollar = 2.77 US Dollar, (this will never happen again).
    Then the US Dollar rises and they stay fairly close to parity until WW1.
    Mid 1950's CDN Dollar depreciates.
    Aug 20 1957 CDN$ peaks at $1.06 US.
    May 1962 Canada Gov't sets Dollar at 92.5 US.
    April 25 1974 CDN$ peaks at $1.04 US.
    1979 CDN$ sinks to .84 cents US.
    Aug 1985 CDN$ sinks to .77 cents US.
    Feb 1986 CDN$ is .69 cents US.
    1998 CDN$ hits a all time low of .63 cents US. (referred as the Paso of the North)
    2006 CDN$ raises to $1.10 US.
    March 2009 moved down to .76 cents US.
    April 6 2010 was back up to parity.

The up and down exchange rate is never going to end.

#123 8 years ago

To keep this thread on Page 1.

Here is some info on Canadian Pinball manufactures. Now your are thinking, What? From scanning IPDB here is what I have found.

Automatic Industries Ltd., Toronto. Made Pure Mechanical table top models 1930-1931.

North Star Coin Machine Company, Montreal. Made Electro-mechanical pins 1949. 2 models, Sea Breeze & Richelieu.

Phillips Electronics Ltd., Toronto. Made a Home Model, Star Explorer, a Solid State, around 1977.

Professional Pinball of Toronto. Made Conversion kits in 1981, Challenger I to V. 5 different conversions for Bally Eight Ball.

Ro-S-Co of Canada. In 1930 produced a Pure Mechanical machine.

The Richelieu and Sea Breeze have been seen on Pinside, on the EM Forum.

2 weeks later
    #179 8 years ago
    Quoted from pinchamp:

Old Style Pilsner!

Clearly this is off Topic! We just called it, "Lethbridge!" Cheap, resembled beer, and we managed to guzzle many.

#185 8 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I was wrong about pilsner being from Saskatchewan. Guess there's a first for everything.

I would let that slide. As Old Style has been sold on the Prairies for a very long time.

2 weeks later
    #209 8 years ago

He is a Canadian, born in Ottawa.

#213 8 years ago

Great to watch Robert Gagno nail that 1,000,000,000+ score on Sterns GoT LE at Expo. World Class Player for sure.

4 months later
    #646 8 years ago
    Quoted from silverball0:

Not supporting Starburst pricing, but I am sure they are not paying what US distributors pay. Pretty sure Stern will tack on extra to their
    pricing for shipping to Canada. Which is past on to us.

Here are some differences for Canada. Shipping, and do not forget the C.S.A. testing, C.S.A. certification on new manufactured consumer goods must add something to the cost of each pin destine for Canada, unless U.L. testing is the exact same.

10 months later
    #1095 7 years ago
    Quoted from PureTO:

It's only the US and 3 villages in Africa that don't use the metric system.

Actually 3 country's do not officially use the Metric System. U.S.A., Liberia, and Myanmar. You were close .

4 months later
    #1483 6 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

The website for The Rec Room in Edmonton

A few years ago I phoned them to find out if they had any pins set up in the arcade. The guy that answered, asked me what is a pinball machine? Did not bother to go there after that conversation.

2 months later
    #1637 6 years ago

There are roughly 985 Canadian Pinsiders on the Pinside Map. Could we come to a consensus, and each of us mail or Email Garry Stern on their use of Playdium/Starburst as the only official Stern Pinball Distro for Canada. Nitro Pinball if it becomes a distributor will surely out sell Starburst. So write Mr. Stern let him know we want another option for Canada. You might get a nice letter back thanking you for your comments.

2 weeks later
    #1715 6 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

How about that Solar City on kijiji? HUO since new? i'm intrigued. I'm just scared of trying to make an offer since they claim there is a US appraisal of $4350?!? I would only insult by trying an offer I think

If it is one of the ultra rare never seen, Solid State Prototypes, then maybe, just maybe, that $4350.00 could make sense.

2 months later
    #1860 6 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Wtf? I swapped games last Saturday and gas in Saskatoon was 89.9 a litre.

This pricing stuff is total BS. If you ran your business the same way, you would be out of business in 3 months. Maybe you can tell this gas pricing stuff ruffles my feathers. The price of a barrel oil went up yesterday. So gas is priced accordingly, instantly! If a barrel of oil price takes a drop, those gas prices do not drop at the same rate of speed, that is BS. Last night fresh fuel wasn't delivered to your local gas station, but they will still raise the prices.

An oil refinery goes off line in Chicago, or Dallas, why and how does this effect fuel prices here?? Fuel is not shipped from here to there, yes, oil is, but not fuel.

Thanks for putting up with my rant. Today it is $1.24 per Litre, some stations are still at $1.11, but that will change tonight.

#1869 6 years ago

Here is a scenario... I just can't resist.

The owner of a sub sandwich shop raises his prices say $2 from 11:30 am to 1:00 PM. Then, Oh My! A bakery burns down in Florida, he then raises his prices because now buns must be harder to get locally. Then lastly, he contacts his competitor that next Thursday he will be changing his prices. That competitor happily raises his price the same amount.

Luckily we can't make our own gasoline at home. Vehicles do not run on love or air. The different prices at different times of the day was/is happening in the Lower Mainland. The fact that no one can find any evidence of price fixing between the oil companies is very interesting.

I'm done, with this, back to Pinball please. (My Apologies in advance, to the Pinside Team.)

#1875 6 years ago

"What's Up?" It is November 4th in the Edmonton area it is MINUS 16 Degrees Celsius. Think that is around Zero F. Chores are done, and for the next 10 hours it is Pinball Time,

1 week later
    #1940 6 years ago
    Quoted from volkdrive:

Probably good time to make a mental note for shows too. A lot of machines go in with this glass on, mention should be made that the techs, show staff are to use a cleaner that will not damage anything when keeping the machines wiped down.

Also, be careful with rags or towels that have chemicals wiped into them, do not, just toss it onto the next pin. Waxes, solvents and other cleaning chemicals can effect that antiglare coating.

#1942 6 years ago

Hope you got your pins back inside, out of the lanai, before that happened.

#1955 6 years ago
    Quoted from FlipperFreak:

We're happy to finally announce that Nitro Pinball is officially a Stern distributor for Western Canada.

That is AWSOME!! That is great news times 10, and congrats.

#2028 6 years ago

Looks like Jay Richardson has his hat in the ring as a Stern supplier too.

#2057 6 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Has anyone encountered this in other industries where you call up a company for some product and they say "sorry, I'm not allowed to sell to you because you're from Saskatchewan"?

Purchasing across provincial borders with wine , spirits, beer, and tobacco. Has many restrictions.

In the 1990's buying more than one new car was also a problem. With dealers refusing to sell more than 1 unit at a time to out of area buyers. No fleet sales out of the car dealers sales district, was very common.

#2058 6 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Next question is, what if you visited another province. Could they deny to sell to you even in person, over the counter, because you live in a certain province?

The only issue I can see is that provincial sales tax. Or were a province has that H.S.T.
    If you are a tourist buying a pin on a trip. In B.C. you might not be exempt from the provincial sales tax. Surely Tom has that all figured out.

2 months later
    #2254 6 years ago

Klr650 you missed a comment. 'Marco Box arrives inside a IGlobal box." The Marco box looks likes it has been passed through a planer, then an inkpad was swiped across it. Oh! and that it shows up 9 weeks later. With several nice Emails from iGlobal stating it has been found and is on its way. Good thing it is only pinball parts and not something really time sensitive.

I would bet dollars to doughnuts that iGlobal doesn't use their own company to send their pay packets out.

6 months later
    #2481 5 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

Lol could have been Victoria too.

Also, New Westminster.

1 week later
    #2506 5 years ago

For Canada if the New Stern Pin was assembled for export to Canada it will have $1 and $2 coin mechs. No Quarters.

2 months later
    #2550 5 years ago
    Quoted from RandomTask:

Anyone in Fredericton? There is a small community growing here and we'd love for you to join!

The PIN MAP shows 2 other Pinsiders that have allowed their location to be seen, near or in Fredericton.

1 year later
    #2766 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

No testing the product allowed apparently!! Found it tho..thanks

The locked case is more for anti theft. In some areas minors can not buy rattle cans.

3 years later
    #4460 1 year ago
    Quoted from HighVoltage:

Did anyone used to check out the arcade at the PNE when it still had one with pinball machines? I used to check out the pins every year. One year, there was a King Kong. I didn't think anything special of it, other than, cool a new pin to try. I just started wondering about it since the KK wanted thread went up and wondered if anyone else remembers. I wonder what happened to it: seems weird that such a rare machine was in the wild there in Canada. But I guess it would have been a good place to test machines, as it was a very heavily trafficed arcade with all the PNE attendees around.

They had a Hercules. It was just inside the main door.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider darcy.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/canadian-pinballers-thread-chat-here?tu=darcy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.