(Topic ID: 137778)

The Canadian Pinhead Thread. What's Up?!

By Jeekayjay

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,733 posts
  • 298 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 83 days ago by Deleenhe
  • Topic is favorited by 196 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0368 (resized).JPG
    20231031_105232.jpg
    20231031_105149.jpg
    20231031_105152.jpg
    20231031_105214.jpg
    20231031_105211.jpg
    20231031_105220.jpg
    20231031_105209.jpg
    20231031_105158.jpg
    20231031_105207.jpg
    20231031_110908.jpg
    IMG_5584 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-20231006-WA0010.jpg
    82eifj (resized).jpg
    IMG_0432 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0078 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider anony.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3348 2 years ago

Does anyone know a source in Canada for anti-glare pinball glass? I'm in Ontario so in the GTA would be best.

#3350 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

PlayerOne. I got my Stern HD Glass from them. It's stupid expensive (close to 400$ all in).

Wow... not sure I'm ready to spend that much for it, but thanks. Good to know.

#3356 2 years ago

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtdGjEaOJJqtdF9qcG1QcllRWlNYNWN2MHJUUXdaenc#gid=3

Not updated since 2016 for Calgary airport... one of you can update it if you are in the area

#3364 2 years ago

Is there anyone in Canada who sells Titan rubbers? I just wanted to order a few to give them a try and the shipping is 3 times the cost of the rubbers.

3 weeks later
    #3414 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinPickle:

There’s a place in Toronto: Brightside Curtom Powder Coating and he completely understands pinball. Turn around was quick.
    Got my JP and TSPP. JP is even nicer but I only have TSPP photos at the moment. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That looks great. Do you have to strip them or can they just powder coat overtop?

I have some DDR bars I wouldn't mind getting done along with my pin.

2 weeks later
    #3451 2 years ago

Anyone know if there are any websites in Canada that are shipping Stern IC kits?

#3455 2 years ago
    Quoted from Stretch7:

Give Nitro a try…. But I heard through the grapevine that they will go to locations first then to public… not sure if that’s correct info though

Thanks, I've never ordered from Nitro before. Do they ship from Canada?

1 month later
    #3527 2 years ago

Anyone try to order from pinballmedics lately? I made an order recently, but trying again I'm only getting the local pickup option. Are they on holiday maybe?

#3531 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinmeds:

We are open, it could be a problem with one of the products missing some of the shipping details, especially if it's a newly added product. I'm in the shop today for a few hours or every week day from 9-4, ring me on 613-223-6108 and I'll sort it out.
    Cheers!
    Mike

Thanks, it seemed to happen after I added some mylar sheet to my cart, but even changing browsers, taking the mylar out etc did not fix it.

2 weeks later
    #3630 2 years ago

Is anyone making an order from pinballresource any time soon? I need a few springs/clips but as a new customer it seems like a big hassle to get such a small order.

If I can piggyback on an upcoming order from anyone I would appreciate it.

#3649 2 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

So here's a new one. Anyone else experienced this?
    I received a etransfer for $70 from someone that I have not even been in contact with. Scam?

Hold off on doing anything with it for a few months. Could be the scam where they show up asking for it back and then once you send it they get the transaction reversed. There are a few scams through etransfer.

And you guys forgot "fully shopped" for the bingo card.

#3652 2 years ago
    Quoted from Boat:

Right, “shopped” ie replaced one bulb and wiped it down with some novus

Quoted from MrMikeman:

"IT" being only the center of the playfield of course.

Exactly

Unless I see pics of it torn down I don't believe it. shopped usually means replaced GI with leds and cleaned it a bit.

1 week later
    #3687 2 years ago

Does anyone know where I can buy some metal to make a new ball guide like this? I'll have to work out a way to bend it to the right shape but that shouldn't be too hard.

I could try home depot but I'm going to need it to be pretty stiff and the right diameter so I'm not sure they'd have options if they have metal like this at all.

gtb-a6612 (resized).jpggtb-a6612 (resized).jpg
    #3690 2 years ago
    Quoted from tomdotcom:

Search the forum for piano wire. There is a thread about sizes and how to bend it, etc..

Thanks I'll check it out. I didn't expect piano wire to get that thick but that sounds like it would be good.

Quoted from transprtr4u:

believe marco has the wire and the bending tool

Thanks I see that now. Really hoping to avoid another order from Marco though, shipping is really starting to add up!

2 weeks later
    #3732 2 years ago

I'm in Toronto and me and the GF want to play a Metallica premium or LE. Does anyone know if there are any bars or locations to play it? I'm pretty sure there are Pros out there but not sure about a higher trim.

1 week later
    #3758 2 years ago
    Quoted from etr104:

Ordered through Jerry at the Mississauga location. And I personally have nothing bad to say about Jerry. Ordered a JJP GNR from him in Dec. 2020 and it arrived in Sept 2021. 10 months was a long time, but not his fault. I fully understand he did all that he could and the game eventually arrived. When that order was placed, I had to put down the standard $1000 deposit.
    Godzilla Premium was ordered in January 2022 and I was surprised that he never asked for a deposit. He doesn't seem to have any estimate as to when the game will arrive. (And again, I understand that it's not his fault, it's well known that Stern is backed up). I also appreciate that he was honest and told me that he couldn't give me an estimate.
    But it definitely has me wondering, just how backed up these orders for Godzilla Premiums are. The "no deposit required" just to me feels like there's no guaruntee when/if the game will ever show up. Either that or they don't want to take a deposit because that would lock in my final price and they want the right to raise the price when it eventually arrives? Just curious if anybody had any insight.
    And as I said, my dealings with Jerry from Player One have always been positive, I don't have anything bad to say about him.

I don't know about P1 specifically but lots of distros will change the price regardless of taking a deposit long before it changed. That is a complaint I've seen several times on these forums, especially when the prices went up recently.

3 months later
    #3989 1 year ago

You can buy bulk from ball baron on ebay for a good shipping price.

Nitro is fine too but the balls they sell aren't that good. I think they are the pinball life ones. I have a game with a square captive ball that put flat spots on those balls really fast. Was quite disappointed.

#3996 1 year ago
    Quoted from KidRichard:

We could be the change we want to see in the world!
    I'm going to stew on this, maybe see what some quotes look like for event hosting in or around KW over the next few months. KW isn't Toronto, but it IS decently accessible to a sizable portion of Southern Ontario, and probably cheaper.

I'd drive to KW for a pinball expo. Illinois not so much lol

#4006 1 year ago
    Quoted from FlipperFreak:

We do sell the Pinball Life ones as well as others. This is the first I'm hearing about any type of quality issue. Please contact [email protected] with pic/description and we'll gladly replace. Thx, Tommy

Thanks I appreciate that, probably not necessary though.

Quoted from Fytr:

Tommy, I've got dozens of balls I've purchased from Nitro over the years that are all worn to shit, scratches all over them, etc. Can I get those replaced too?

Maybe you more experienced users can help me with this one. Unfortunately I can't get my camera to focus in a way to show them, but after playing less than 50 games on a Metallica premium which has the newton cube there are small flat spots on the ball making it feel dimpled like a golf ball. I noticed it on two balls so far, not all.
    I hadn't noticed this on any other balls I've used in the machine. It made me think these ones may not have the hardness of the others I've been using. If I'm wrong and wear like this is expected from a newton cube then I apologize to Nitro for not looking into it more before opening my mouth!
    pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

1 month later
    #4066 1 year ago

A little late on the ISO discussion but one thing to be aware of is to make sure the only ingredients are alcohol and water. Some companies add bitterants to them to prevent people from drinking it (as if pure alcohol doesn't already taste bad enough?) and those additives will leave residue and mess things up.

#4076 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

Mike has generic ones. He told me he might be getting BB once he clears his current stock (that was a while ago).
    I need to get balls in bulk, did anybody try the balls sold on ebay?

I ordered the ball baron 50 pack from ebay and the overall price was pretty good, I think I'm going to stick with them from now on.

#4080 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinmeds:

We are actually about to announce that we are carrying Ball Baron Balls exclusively as our old Inventory is now depleted at the main Ottawa location we ship from.
    There are none at the Montreal retail location yet, but they are ready to ship via Canada Post.
    Always select Regular Parcel and I will upgrade to Xpresspost with tracking and $100 insurance in Quebec and Ontario, and I upgrade to Expedited parcel with tracking and $100 insurance for the rest of Canada.
    I have Ball Baron Ninja, Polaris, and Standard available.
    I should have them listed on the site next week, but in the meantime you can call me any time on 613-223-6108 as I do have all three types in stock already.
    And keep an eye on the site, they'll be up there soon!
    Mike

That's great news, thanks!

#4093 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinmeds:

Ball Baron Balls, Including Ninja, Polaris, and Standard and are now available to ship across Canada!
    Order as many or as few as you need!
    https://pinballmedics.ca/ball-baron-pinballs-ninja-polaris-and-standard/

This is great news but $3 a ball seems to make it pointless for us to order from you. You can order 50 polaris balls from ball baron on ebay for $59 USD and it comes to just under $100 USD shipped to where I live. I just checked and it's $200 to order the same from your site.

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #4095 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinmeds:

$160 USD is approximately $210 CDN after exchange and conversion fees.
    I switched to this product for quality, not bulk savings. My old balls were cheaper to buy and ship, but people keep asking for Ball Baron products, and after seeing the difference, I will not sell anything else, regardless of the margins.
    And not only are those margins very slim, we have 3 retail locations, our Website, vehicles, warehouse, credit card fees etc. eating that up before we see anything. The parts business is a loss leader, but it is required to efficiently run a Pinball Dealership & Service Facility, as well as to facilitate the maintenance of the literally 100's of games in the collections at our Arcades and Museum. If I matched my supplier's bulk price on individual balls, I would be losing money on every sale.
    Most of my customers order between 1 - 10 balls at a time maximum, generally along with whatever other parts they need. It's more about having everything under one roof so they don't need to use multiple suppliers, which adds even more shipping costs and hassle.
    If you are interested in a bulk order, you can contact me directly, and once I build up more inventory, I will list them in quantity as well. I can move a little bit on price based on volume, and can likely give you a direct quote on shipping that will save another $20 from the sounds of it. I can't imagine it being more than $20-$25 tops to the Toronto area. How much did it quote you for shipping on my site?
    Bottom line, you should be able to save $20-$30 on the order, even on 50 units. And you would have it the next day or the day after.
    Mike

The shipping quote from your site was $25-$35 depending on xpresspost vs normal post, which was definitely reasonable for the weight of 50 balls.

I just have to clarify though that the ebay order directly from ball baron was $100 USD shipped. Not $160. It was $59 + ~$30 shipping. It ended up being $135 CAD all in, at the exchange rate from June.

Also I definitely didn't need 50 balls, but bought that many because that's the only thing that makes sense when ordering them internationally like that. So it definitely makes more sense being able to buy them from you on smaller orders.

#4099 1 year ago
    Quoted from mIkea:

pinmeds - super happy you’re carrying these now! I would much rather support a Canadian source, and the price is reasonable IMHO for a quality product that’s hard to find here. (P1 is almost as much for their crappy bulk balls).
    Anony totally agree - shipping can be $$ for heavy stuff. The good news is, I’ll be in Ottawa next week- happy to grab whatever you need while I’m there and bring it back our way to the GTA if that helps.

I appreciate the offer but I only have two machines so the 50 balls I ordered should last me a while!

#4106 1 year ago
    Quoted from aeonblack:

I'm curious what everyone else's success rates are for listing games on Kijiji. I've never had to bother with it, always been able to sell to fellow collectors and people in the community, but with the market seemingly slowing down (and me still needing to move a few games), I might finally make the effort to list on there. Also, for the sales you've had on kijiji, was it to people completely new to the hobby?

I have only sold one machine but I originally listed it on pinballrevolution and facebook ontario pinball/arcade group because that's where the most knowledgable and legit collectors are. After a week I listed it on kijiji and it sold like a day later to someone there. They were new to the hobby but were cool and easy to deal with so it worked out.

Because of the more anonymous and general nature of kijiji you might get a bit more noise:signal but in general I've always found kijiji a good place to sell and buy.

11 months later
    #4594 8 months ago

Does anyone know a site for printing custom glass covers that ships to Canada? I used to use collage.com but they shut down.

#4600 8 months ago
    Quoted from Canuck_pinhead:

There's a guy on FB doing them... out of QC I think

I did see that. Was hoping to do it myself because I'm a DIY type of person and $90 is fairly expensive. But I will go there if I can't find any other options.

Quoted from Saltimbanco:

Not much information on their website, anyone we know that operates and sell those?

He's just listed as Thomas on facebook but his profile looks legit. Has pinball related posts going back several years. I reached out to him and he said he can take custom requests too.

#4604 8 months ago
    Quoted from PinPickle:

On another note, where does everyone go to print their custom instruction cards? Lots of free ones available online but I don’t have a photo printer

Most people suggest staples. That pinballmad.ca guy looks like he can do them as well.

#4606 8 months ago
    Quoted from lemmings418:

If anyone gets an email address, please let me know. No contact info/link on that website.
    Want to see if he will do a BK2K and WCS94 as well.

I was just DMing him on facebook, I can ask for direct contact details.

Also I found contrado.ca which appears to be able to print custom fabrics at custom sizes. I priced one out and it came close to the $90 pinballmad is asking though so I will probably just go through him.

#4607 8 months ago
    Quoted from lemmings418:

If anyone gets an email address, please let me know. No contact info/link on that website.
    Want to see if he will do a BK2K and WCS94 as well.

Got him to add it to the site, it's [email protected]

#4610 8 months ago
    Quoted from PinPickle:

pinballmad guy seems to using the same material for the banner as the glass protector. Some type of vinyl.
    I definitely prefer the product from the US for almost ½ the price.

Oh yeah good catch, definitely not a fan of that

#4613 8 months ago
    Quoted from ibenaiah:

I had also planned to use collage.com… I could use three covers if anyone is interested in making a batch order.

Quoted from PPA-AG:

I also used Collage.com and when I went to order a new blanket found out they were out of business.
    So I used CanvasChamp.ca. A bit more expensive but the blanket is double the thickness the ones from Collage.
    I will use them again when I buy my next pin.

I just made an order from contrado.ca. I will post a picture when I get it. They have a whole bunch of fabrics so I just chose fleece, we'll see what the quality is like.

1 week later
    #4615 7 months ago

If anyone is making an order from pinball resource let me know, I'd like to piggyback on and get some stuff.

#4617 7 months ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

Pinball Medics orders weekly from them.

Thanks! I will reach out to them and see if they can add some stuff for me.

1 week later
    #4635 7 months ago

I'm looking for a copy of the Gottlieb 1992 parts catalog. If anyone has one and is willing to sell let me know.

2 (resized).PNG2 (resized).PNG
    #4637 7 months ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

ebay.com link: itm
    Ebay has one for $50.00

Thanks, I did see that one and it will be my last resort if I can't find it cheaper. I was hoping someone in Canada would have one so I could avoid the exchange rate and shipping cost.

1 week later
    #4667 7 months ago
    Quoted from PinPickle:

I got my covers in. Happy with the design of most. Simpsons and Cactus Canyon could have been better and he would have changed it but I was fine with what he proposed.
    Quality is great, very soft, wont leave waffle marks like my rubber covers. Will still use the old covers to lay tools on. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The covers themselves look nice but what's with messing up the aspect ratio of the art? That's like the most rookie mistake ever. Deadpool, Cactus Canyon and Simpsons are all squished horizontally pretty badly.

#4669 7 months ago
    Quoted from PinPickle:

That's exactly what I was saying. They look stretched 100%.
    Anyways, if you order you can approve the art and make sure they aren't stretched.

Cool, as long as he lets you approve the art ahead of time that's all that matters. Those do look really good and at that price it's definitely cheaper and nicer than what I got from contrado.ca. Almost makes me want to do mine again because they look so vibrant and I like how they fit the glass perfectly.

1 month later
    #4697 5 months ago
    Quoted from RYE_:

Hey where do you folks like to sell pinball machines to target Toronto or the GTA? I live downtown and I'm parting with my lovely and pretty pristine Hot Wheels (just 1200 total plays) to make room for a custom board gaming table.

Facebook and pinball revolution. Pinball rev is the best choice but lower traffic, the Ontario arcade and pinball group on facebook has a lot of traffic and I've only had good experiences with the people there.

#4698 5 months ago
    Quoted from RYE_:

Their classified seem pretty dead but I'll give it a try. I guess Facebook or Pinside Classifieds are the leading alternatives?

Nice! I'm getting a table made by http://mcfaddentables.ca. Super nice guy with a woodshop just north of Kingston ON. Should be arriving in a couple of months.

What is the typical price range for a custom table like this? I have a friend who is a master carpenter and just opened his own millwork and I wonder if he could do jobs like this on the side between his bigger gigs.

#4707 5 months ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Went to Silverball games @ the Sunnyside mall in Bedford. Nice setup of pins and arcades.
    Pins were well kept too. Prices were more than fair as well. (Considering they are in a mall)
    I'll go back next time I visit Halifax.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks awesome. And lol at the DDR megamix marquee, those things are ridiculous. I got rid of mine as soon as I could when I got my DDR machine.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider anony.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/canadian-pinballers-thread-chat-here?tu=anony and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.