(Topic ID: 137778)

The Canadian Pinhead Thread. What's Up?!

By Jeekayjay

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,733 posts
  • 298 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 85 days ago by Deleenhe
  • Topic is favorited by 196 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0368 (resized).JPG
    20231031_105232.jpg
    20231031_105149.jpg
    20231031_105152.jpg
    20231031_105214.jpg
    20231031_105211.jpg
    20231031_105220.jpg
    20231031_105209.jpg
    20231031_105158.jpg
    20231031_105207.jpg
    20231031_110908.jpg
    IMG_5584 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-20231006-WA0010.jpg
    82eifj (resized).jpg
    IMG_0432 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0078 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin_Fandango.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3108 3 years ago

Hey Canadian pinheads,
    Where are you getting your pinball stranded colour coded/striped cable.
    I can make my own I guess but I find the water base paint pens not too good and the paint comes off rather easily.

I know I can get some at planetary pinball and Marcos, BUT, shipping is VERY expensive and was hoping to source the same striped cable locally.

Any tips?

2 weeks later
    #3112 3 years ago

going to derail the thread for a sec:

Have a AIQ playfield protector that I decided not to keep, I did install it in my game but took it out shortly after.
    It is from Germany, and I have taken the film that is protecting but I have not used it.

Will sell for $150 (cost me $250) contact me if interested.
    LOCAL BUYER ONLY, as this will be very hard to ship now that it does not have the protective film.

#3116 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

I have been using Shippsy recently for orders from the US. Basically you mail the order to Niagara Falls, NY and then they ship it to Markham or Mississauga in Ontario for pickup. They will also forward your shipment within Canada. They charge $6.99CDN to bring it across to Ontario. As an example, this order was $55US to mail to Ontario. Instead I paid $15US to Shippsy depot and $6.99CDN to Ontario. So saved about $35US. The best thing about Shippsy is with larger orders, you can avoid any duty charges by giving them a copy of your receipt and showing the product was made in the USA. If interested, PM me and I can forward you a code for your first order and it will save both of us $10CDN on your first order. Not sure what they will charge to mail your item within Canada, probably still a lot cheaper than direct.
    [quoted image]

great to know thank you!

2 weeks later
    #3149 3 years ago

Where are the Ottawa pinheads?
    Just curious to know where do you guys get your pinballs? Need to buy some and would like to buy a bunch.
    All my games have magnets.

Maybe we can do a group buy?
    Pinballs are nothing more than 1 1/6 ball bearings soooo why are we paying the middle man?

Let mw know if some of you in Ottawa want to get together and organize a group buy: find a source, negotiate a price and purchase in bulk.
    I would be interested in purchasing 300+ balls for myself.

1 week later
    #3155 3 years ago
    Quoted from ChanceKJ:

Working on a plug and play fix for the annoying sound board hum produced on all Data East pins. (Not the DMD or Flasher hum, but the other persistent one). Prototypes are built and starting to get into the hands of locals in the Calgary Area. Idea behind this is simple, it should take longer to open up the game than to install. And it should be an easy improvement that keeps the game as original as possible without hacking wires or adding extra dedicated power supplies. Thought id share.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image][quoted image]

love this, so what does it do exactly? handles the load on the sound board? filters?... tell us all the nerdy stuff... ok ok, tell ME all the nerdy stuff, lol.

1 month later
    #3169 2 years ago

Wondering what is a good place to post a want to buy ad in Canada.

Looking to get a Rick and Morty off someone who ordered one but did not receive it yet.

Will also consider one with low plays.

2 weeks later
    #3244 2 years ago

I missed 2 pages of gun related discussion on pinside! for a moment there I thought I was on canadiangunutz! lol I can't believe I sold all my gun related Sh!t and put that money into pinball to then come to pinball and find this...

lol

9 months later
    #3749 2 years ago

is this the chitchatting thread, should I pee in a cup? what are the rules here... asking for a friend.

#3753 2 years ago
    Quoted from Saltimbanco:

Depends, where are you from? Eastern side, I find Michel to be straightforward in letting people know just how much things are backed up. My experience was that he always asks for a deposit, but things may have changed since last year..

Michel is a great honest guy. He works really hard for his clients and my experience with him was a bit bumpy at first, but not his fault, as he is dealing with a lot more clients now and issues with supply chains did not help him but we have done lots of deals now and he is always trying his best to make things work.
    Good guy to deal with, I only wish there was not a territory issue with Nitro as sometimes they do have things while P1 does not and I cant get it from Nitro due to this.

#3755 2 years ago
    Quoted from Apollo18:

I find myself getting more and more from USA
    due to the Canadian supply “limitations”

Have you been importing yourself? Or driving over to pick up? Shipping?

I have done the importation of a used game, it is a bit annoying and risky.

Wondering if you are buying new?

1 month later
    #3826 1 year ago
    Quoted from Meegis:

I just turn my games and on watch the lights twinkle.
    No plays allowed.

20k christmas lights!!!

1 month later
    #3885 1 year ago

just because I can't post in the other for sale thread... no offence to anyone, just having a little afternoon fun. lol

IMG_7766 (resized).jpegIMG_7766 (resized).jpegIMG_7767 (resized).jpegIMG_7767 (resized).jpegIMG_7768 (resized).jpegIMG_7768 (resized).jpegIMG_7769 (resized).jpegIMG_7769 (resized).jpegIMG_7770 (resized).jpegIMG_7770 (resized).jpeg
    1 week later
    #3907 1 year ago
    Quoted from Paseb:

There is a t2 in gatineau, have you seen it?
    Roadshow is more in the 7k and + territory.
    I love mine.

that T2 had a rough life, that was almost my first pin when I did not know better but this person bought it instead. Had it for 2 years and now selling it.
    The seemed to be firm in price too as I was going to pick it up but not in the condition it is in and at that price. long laundry list of issues in the pf and cabinet.
    It is rough and not worth that.

#3909 1 year ago
    Quoted from Saltimbanco:

I'll add to potential games: Independence Day!

It was never cleaned, the glass was regular glass, missing a lock, translite scratched. Still had batteries inside, were never changed. The left side armour was banged up. Near the ball feed, the pf is deeply chewed up.. then, there's that ultra thin LED wire rope on the ramps, held up by scotch tape all along the edges.
    I felt bad for Arnold!!!

oh so you did go to see it, I saw it 2 years ago and almost bought it, it would have been my first pin and a disaster but the people in the community saved me from it and it ended up with another newbie then... It is good to keep track of the turds and stay away from them, lol, It was all working then but it was liptstick on pig.

there is a reason why it is not selling. lol

#3922 1 year ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

HST in ON is 15%. QC is about the same as ON.

13% in Ont

#3945 1 year ago
    Quoted from Paseb:

Couple bugs to fix, but my buddy is almost finished with this one.
    Pinsound, speakers kit, color dmd, boards checked over and plenty of small mods and stuff. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

That looks really awesome

2 weeks later
    #3974 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinPickle:

Where’s everyone buying their replacement pinballs from?
    Everyone sells them but some US Online Shops take forever to ship.

I need some too and want to buy in bulk. I was going to use the ones on eBay but I am not sure about quality and I refuse to overpay for rebranded ball bearings sold for a 3rd party, lol.

#3977 1 year ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Check Arkadium. They were selling balls and Titan rubbers. Not sure if they still are but worth a shot

I asked Derek about that but I think the shipping is too much, maybe I'll ask again.

2 weeks later
    #4039 1 year ago
    Quoted from Joker19:

It is available in Canada. Sherwin-Williams stores have it.

maybe in Quebec? I tried this here in Ontario and nope.

#4057 1 year ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

Yes, they sell the 50% mix, but you need the 99% for cleaning electronics. Costco four packs are a steal!
    [quoted image]
    Zep spray bottles are perfect for one bottle plus water mix.

I clean almost everything with ISO, but I do not dilute it as it is not necessary imho.
    Works great.

1 week later
    #4062 1 year ago
    Quoted from Paseb:

Picking this weekend a 2006 1 owner lotr, 1800 plays.
    Bone stock. Lot of parts\mods on their way.
    Cant wait.
    [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

very cool! enjoy

#4073 1 year ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Best thing to do is call Mike and ask...
    Been very happy ordering parts through them ... quick to fill orders and get parts out ...

Mike has generic ones. He told me he might be getting BB once he clears his current stock (that was a while ago).
    I need to get balls in bulk, did anybody try the balls sold on ebay?

#4078 1 year ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

The biggest problem with the pinballs is the weight of the package, I have 300 Ball Baron Polaris balls packaged and could easily ship them in bulk but the cost of shipping is substantial.

Thanks Derek. I think I asked you before but what the approx cost for shipping? for example for 50 or 100 balls to K2L2V2.
    Perhaps others can also benefit from this info.

#4083 1 year ago

Awesome, will swing by tomorrow to get some.

1 week later
    #4107 1 year ago

used them all, why would not you. Not everybody is on all platforms. Simple.

#4121 1 year ago
    Quoted from Meegis:

Late night sex commercials.
    Now we know what you were doing

before or after the weight shaker commercial?

2 weeks later
    #4133 1 year ago

If you going to Buffalo maybe check Buffalo Pinball. I believe these guys run another arcade there.

#4140 1 year ago
    Quoted from kool1:

Prices are generally a little higher in Canada due to a smaller market, sparse population and higher taxes. A good chunk of Americans pay no tax or shipping on a new Stern, we pay 13% + shipping unless you are close to one of the whole 3 cities with distributors.
    I find Pinside US listed prices a bit off reality also. If you look on PinRev at the last 3-4 games listed that you were trying to sell it will give you a good idea. If you see a game listed for $8000 and not selling you know you should got $7000-7500.

I think it runs a little deeper that that, the market is a little more complicated than that here. It tends to follow US prices except that it gets caught up after there is a reality check on our side. We are slower to respond to it because there are less transactions happening in it and as much as we try to mimic the US market, people are slow at pulling the trigger whether that is UP and/or DOWN, for example, Indiana Jones never sold for $20K CAD like it was selling in the states 5 months ago, neither is Godzilla LE with some still around as of recently selling at MSRP and the list goes on.

#4144 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Probably $7-8k CDN is the selling price you will probably get. Depends on any mods or upgrades and condition. Can fluctuate 1-2k depending on condition, etc.

That a big range.
    I think fair price for any of those dmds is $7500 and gotta be mint. No?

#4147 1 year ago
    Quoted from Waffles:I was thinking around 7500 from what I could see, so maybe I'm not crazy!
    It's pretty clean, typical red fading on the sides but otherwise it looks great.
    Since I've bought it, i haven't added much to it besides
    Speaker lights
    Under cab lights
    Trough light
    3d printed some of the symbols and painted them to go on top of the speaker grills and hung two bigger ones off the side.
    Made a ghetto Topper but I kinda wanna keep it.

Wasn't that one fully shopped and loaded though?

lol, gateway 10k
    Facepalm galore!!

3 weeks later
    #4184 1 year ago
    Quoted from Meegis:

This is only viable if using a box to ship, otherwise I would never go that small (personal preference from experience)

Not a great idea to be honest, unless you properly rebuild stringers and slats, it could cause major issue for anyone moving the pallet around. If they cant use a pump truck in it because of modification, they will be forced to forklift it and that's when you can get some unnecessary damage. Whether it be from forks piercing something or just the pallet tipping due to structural integrity being gone.

I have shipped with a 31x31. Just add lots of padding as the smaller footprint causes your shipment to be close to other freight.
    Freight moves slightly during shipping if too close it will rub and scratch other boxes.

I have used a 40x40 when shipping from the States (very far) to prevent this.
    Within Canada I dont bother.
    Warp, then movers blanket, then wrap, the cardboard panels all around. Done with a 31x31 multiple times accross Canada with 100% success, knock on wood.

If you get a damaged game after all that packing it was not strapped down correctly or it was damaged by a fork as Meggis said.
    You cannot prevent that even it you used a 40x40.

A good pallet must be strong enough to support the strap pressure or it will break in half as you are cranking it down. A solid pallet will be ok!

Dont overthink it, just pad it and ship it!

I also recommend adding a “tip and tell” sticker, it will show upon arrival if the cargo was knocked over.

#4195 1 year ago
    Quoted from ChanceKJ:

Hey Data East Pin Owners, THESE ARE BACK IN STOCK!!!
    The White North Retro HB-001 Data East Pinball Noise Filter is now back in stock! Shipping world wide from both Pinball Life and Marco Specialties. Canadian customers can now also buy direct from us too! Links below.
    The “HumBucker" HB-001 from White North Retro is the simplest way to help mitigate the annoying and constant 12v hum thats emitted over the speakers on most Data East pinball machines. It doesn’t require any soldering or conversion to your games, just simply plug it in-line with the soundboard power cable and go. The device works on all Data East games as well as the first three SEGA games: Baywatch, Batman Forever, and Frankenstein. Developed and made in Alberta, Canada. The HB-001 is a must have for any Data East or Early SEGA pinball machine.
    For a closer look and installation steps visit:
    MSRP: $39.99 USD (or $49.99 Canadian direct)
    Canadian Orders: http://WhiteNorthRetro.ca
    Pinball Life: https://www.pinballlife.com/data-east-noisehum-filter.html
    Marco Specialties: Link Coming Soon!
    [quoted image]

Just ordered one, thank you!

1 week later
    #4202 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinPickle:

I’m looking to make a trade with a pinside ton Michigan. The plan is to drive my pin across and take his back.
    Anyone have experience with this? Anything I should have prepared? Anything in particular I should say?

Lol I know how this ends

Border Agent: where ya going young fella?
    Mr Pickles: going to Michigan good Sir.
    Agent: to do what? Deliver the pin you sold for 18 but ya gonna lie?
    Mr Pickle: yea Sir
    Agent: hope ya like orange?

Lol

7C89F1DA-9142-49CD-BBD8-E07E009186CD (resized).jpeg7C89F1DA-9142-49CD-BBD8-E07E009186CD (resized).jpeg
    #4230 1 year ago

Long player and after playing the premium on location I can say these toys add nothing really that a brief cool factor that wears off rather fast.
    At the current prices I am not interested in premium as much anymore.

Quoted from pinballjah:

Sold my GZ Premium, couldn't get into it. The novelty of the building going up and down and the bridge shaking wears off pretty fast. Think I would enjoy the pro?

2 weeks later
    #4258 1 year ago

Pinflation is over. The party is over.
    Time to buy second hand for the next 24 -36 months at that point we might start seeing inflation again but the normal rate, not this absurdity of the last 20 months.

#4267 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinPickle:

Same. Good fun.

I hope you get my name and get me something nice. Lol use some of that Stth money.
    Lol
    Kidding.

Cheers

#4271 1 year ago
    Quoted from Ponzie:

I'm in for year #3.
    Lots of fun. Got some awesome stuff for my GnR and AFM. Super fun to give and receive.

Great to hear looking forward to it.

#4278 1 year ago
    Quoted from Eagles77:

Hey guys looking for recommendations for high quality cabinet decals. Im going to be redoing my doctor who, Shadow and Johnny mnemonic unfortunately I don’t believe rad calls make these titles for decals. I found a few places that do. Pinballdecalseu,
    pinballcentre and ministry of pinball have any you used decals from these places or any other places that you would recommend. Much thanks

I have heard really great things from a local guy using retrorefurbs. I will be using that for my LW3

1 week later
    #4292 1 year ago

Who sell LED OCD in Canada?
    I think I remember somebody saying they do not sell to Canadians directly, is this true?

1 week later
    #4340 1 year ago

I am not a big fan of shippsy but might be worth it for people in TO.
    My usa address dot com is cheap as shippsg and easier service to use, no nonsense.

Last time I use shippsy, signing up was very easy but they make you do 100% of the work to declare your order. This means if you ordered 100 items from Marco specialties you have to enter all the data yourself, description, quantity and else.
    It can take a long while to do this little task when you order $500 in parts from pinball life. Ask me how I know

After that experience I decided to not use them again. Maybe their process is better now? This was a year+ ago so could be better, but not going to try again unless the order is very small or one single big item.

#4343 1 year ago
    Quoted from SLicK350:

Not to quibble with you but that hasn't been my experience. In the case you sighted I simply indicated "pinball parts" and uploaded the invoice. Of course you're the one that has to declare what you bought - Shippsy has no way of knowing. But as far as entering all the individual details, besides the invoice - Marco just makes a blanket declaration as "Pinball Parts". Perhaps you over thunk it - it really has been trouble free.

yeah...I did it the easy way - like you mention - and there was a person from shipsy who communicated with me multiple times and would reject my 'request to ship'...

Not only I did do the data entr once but actually twice or more, can't remember. It was really a poor experience. Maybe I got the new clerk, or the clerk who was quitting that day lol It was just terrible. He made me declare how many screws I was ordering, what type of screws, bolts, everything.
    I obviously complained with shipssy. Nothing, crickets.

Spent more than one hour doing that data entry...

hahaha, writing this is giving me PTSD. No more shittsy for me, unless it is one item, I am not messing around with that nonsense.

#4347 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Never had that problem, just write Pinball Part or Toys and order is good to go.

I understand, seems it was corrected.
    I use myusaaddress, cost the same and it is simpler, can also pick it up and its closer to me. Huge facility in Ogdensburg.

1 week later
    #4390 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

I ask the same question every year and I live in Ontario (currently only -2 and I still hate it). Any good options for retirement with free health care, affordable cost of living, safe environment, nice weather? Would love to find somewhere to spend the winters. Cheers.

With a 2 to 3K per month income you can live like a king in the Caribbean. The environment is not safe not conducive to raise a family but it is certainly a great place to retire if you know how to navigate the cultural caveats.
    I lived there for a few years and it was the best time of my life. Health Care (the good one) is private and costs pennies. You get 1st world testing in hours or days.

#4393 1 year ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

There are a few good options out there for affordable cost of living, safe environment and nice weather. Free health care, not really. Affordable health care, for sure. Combine that with lower taxes and lower cost of living and you would still come out ahead.
    Portugal is the hot topic right now. Panama has been long considered a great place to retire. Lots of good info in the interwebz for potential expat spots.
    I personally wouldn't leave Canada entirely, but spending four or five months (Jan-April or May) somewhere else is very tempting.

yes but do they have pinball there.... otherwise, I am out.

#4413 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Anyone have a Stern Sam shaker board they be willing to sell? Have the shaker, but need the board it connects to. Thanks.

There is no board by the coin door? I thought it was standard.

#4416 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

I don't think it was on the Stern Sam games. My MET Pro doesn't seem to have the board. Likely only standard on the Spike 2 games. Thanks.

the board is pretty straight forward do so I am sure you will be able to find an aftermarket solution. it is basically a couple resistors and diodes, nothing fancy,.

2 weeks later
    #4436 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinPickle:

I know there’s a lot of interest in Stranger things. Thought my fellow canucks may find this interesting. I have taken this post from the STH thread. Key word here is maybe so who knows but still interesting.
    “Odds have increased on Stern vaulting Stranger Things Premium. Joel Engelberth just did a very informative interview with George Gomez where they talked about Stranger Things and George mentioned "maybe" re-visiting it.
    Relevant discussion starts at around the 49:00”

He points out all the reasons why they stopped making it which are the same reasons we heard when they stopped making it since the last run in 202o the tk lock never worked well and the game is hard to make, produce and work reliably.

A vault would need a redesigned tk and a new projector as well, since the last one used is likely discontinued.
    If they vault it with improvements I might re buy it. Not interested in re-buying the current one, specially at the ridiculous price it sells for.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Pin_Fandango.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/canadian-pinballers-thread-chat-here?tu=Pin_Fandango and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.