(Topic ID: 137778)

The Canadian Pinhead Thread. What's Up?!

By Jeekayjay

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2,709 posts
  • 198 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 days ago by NinJaBooT
  • Topic is favorited by 131 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 285 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

7B75DF8B-0969-4BD2-BBA3-F5B27282D9B4 (resized).jpeg
    BD97DB96-5E9D-4FF1-BDC5-6CCE7582D902 (resized).jpeg
    35E9AD00-8E5C-4EFD-ACAC-2F956A292297 (resized).jpeg
    6AEAD851-A0D9-4077-817B-0C5C5C5F92BF (resized).jpeg
    4827E048-26D9-4EB4-8671-377A37A0A31F (resized).jpeg
    8CC0B237-D244-48E0-B789-65656375E8F9 (resized).jpeg
    00C72BEF-E4DE-4B04-9E95-39AB6C36C3F7 (resized).jpeg
    Die Hard Pinball League_FB (resized).png
    Metallica for Bill (resized).jpg
    Screen Shot 2019-10-08 at 7.34.04 AM (resized).png
    Image-17 (resized).png
    Image-16 (resized).png
    Image-19 (resized).png
    20190805_184015.jpg
    EEB3B0FE-6881-49E1-9FA5-7079B2B799F3 (resized).jpeg
    $_59.JPG.jpg

There are 2709 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 55.
    #401 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinballophobe:

Just saw the cnd at .6996

It's not over. Get ready for the real but hurt to start come spring, it takes a few months to see the real effects of the US interest rates increase combined with the drop of oil. This is going to get real pretty.

#402 3 years ago

60 cent dollar ? or sub 60 cent ?

#403 3 years ago

Just saw the cnd at .6996

and i just saw afew more videos of TBL. Pin has my name on it

#404 3 years ago

I was in on TBL until about this time last year. As far as I can tell, the machine is in the same place it was this time last year, except now the sounds and pf have been cannibalized. It's still an interesting pin to me, but I'm glad I got out when I did. It still took them almost 2 months to process my refund fully.

#405 3 years ago

Also, after watching this video:

I'm super glad I got out. It sounds terrible now and seems incredibly dull.

#406 3 years ago

they had 20 songs at the begining now I heard 5 atlast month conference. just the music, no lyrics.

shame but frankly that video got my heart pumping again.

i was expecting a lot worse after Universal cut in songs/clips

still very nice cool game but even Dutch Pinball mention not to expect a deep game like LOTR

lastability might not be there but mojo is lol

#407 3 years ago

TBL price of 10k USD works out to over 16k CAD in Ontario.

Those machines will be quite rare here.

#408 3 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

TBL price of 10k USD works out to over 16k CAD in Ontario.
    Those machines will be quite rare here.

Just wait until the end of the year. some forecaster are saying a 59cent Loonie is not impossible.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/macquarie-loonie-forecast-1.3401644

""Once [the loonie] reaches this level," Doyle said, "it should remain subdued through [the end of] 2018 and potentially even longer."

#409 3 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

Just wait until the end of the year. some forecaster are saying a 59cent Loonie is not impossible.
    http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/macquarie-loonie-forecast-1.3401644
    ""Once [the loonie] reaches this level," Doyle said, "it should remain subdued through [the end of] 2018 and potentially even longer."

I wonder if that man is buying lots usd to hedge.

#410 3 years ago

I wonder if that man is buying lots usd to hedge.

He did predict the .69 loonie

#412 3 years ago

Maybe its possible to change TBL's sound track using pinball browser or something like that. I changed the soundtrack for 3 of my games and they all sound much better than the original.

#413 3 years ago

I played TBL numerous times at pinball expo in Chicago. Very not impressed. The bowling alley is a cool novelty that gets boring after 2 games. Just slows things down way too much and there is basically no skill involved. I did everything that could be done on the game which was not much because the code still has so much to be completed. I will be keeping my money a long way from it. Who knows about support, etc as well. The guy talked during his seminar mainly about the fallout with his partner and all the bad shit they had been through. I enjoyed playing it more than the Hobbit but you really don't want to hear my review on the hobbit. What were they thinking? Yikes!

#414 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinchamp:

you really don't want to hear my review on the hobbit.

is WOZ a better game than the Hobbit or is it on par?

#415 3 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

is WOZ a better game than the Hobbit or is it on par?

Better to look at and better theme and better dazzle on the LCD screen? That goes to Hobbit. In terms of gameplay, shots and not forever waiting for the ball to get to your flipper... That goes to WOZ. Would I ever own either again? No. But if someone was giving me one, I would take Hobbit only because it looks cooler while it sat and never got played.. Haha

#416 3 years ago

I like TBL film but the pin does nothing for me, theme wise or gameplay, Hobbit looks cool but I don't watch those films and have zero interest, Aliens on the other hand has my full attention but I paid in full early when the dollar was at 91 or even higher its getting tough as now that would convert back to 12 000 CAD, if the gameplay and sound, lighting etc. don't blow me away then I'm out, its going to be a good time for us to save, if our dollar hits 60 cents which is possible then you're talking 8K pros and 12.5K Pre/LE or close to that range anyway, thats craziness.

#417 3 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

I like TBL film but the pin does nothing for me, theme wise or gameplay, Hobbit looks cool but I don't watch those films and have zero interest, Aliens on the other hand has my full attention but I paid in full early when the dollar was at 91 or even higher its getting tough as now that would convert back to 12 000 CAD, if the gameplay and sound, lighting etc. don't blow me away then I'm out, its going to be a good time for us to save, if our dollar hits 60 cents which is possible then you're talking 8K pros and 12.5K Pre/LE or close to that range anyway, thats craziness.

It is craziness but YOLO. With the Cnd at 69 it cost 1.44 to buy 1 used and that without conversion fees.

But if stern announced Star Wars with a LCD designed by Ritchie. I would be on that train

#418 3 years ago

It is craziness but YOLO. With the Cnd at 69 it cost 1.44 to buy 1 used and that without conversion fees.
    But if stern announced Star Wars with a LCD designed by Ritchie. I would be on that train

On the crazy train. Lol. I love Star Wars but not $9k STar WARs

#419 3 years ago

My fellow beaver-eaters,

Where does everyone get their soldering accessories from? Solder for example... Obviously theres 100's of different types available, but every store I've been to there's only been one option. Hell, the only place I could find desoldering braid was in The Source and it's thing as dental floss.

Home Depot, Canadian Tire, Rona etc - All the same "fix all" option.

#420 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mahoyvan:

My fellow beaver-eaters,
    Where does everyone get their soldering accessories from? Solder for example... Obviously theres 100's of different types available, but every store I've been to there's only been one option. Hell, the only place I could find desoldering braid was in The Source and it's thing as dental floss.

Online only i've found. Get Kester or lead based solder. It obviously contains lead, but it flows way better and works much nicer than any solder i've found locally.

Here is one site but with the exchange sucking its a fair bit more. I got mine quite awhile ago.
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1262

or this for a lot cheaper.
    http://www.be-electronics.com/product_p/4865-227g.htm

It's pricey and you may find it elsewhere for cheaper, but if you do a lot of soldering like I do it will last you forever.

Also if you plan on doing a lot of soldering/desoldering get a soldering pump like the Hakko F300 (I have it). Literally 100 times faster and easier than braid and much less chance to ruin traces. I used to really like braid, but its slow and sometime the solder gives you trouble. I've found I lift a lot less of everything off the board. You can buy a manual pump for really cheap too.

Local electronic stores are your only other option for anything. Such as B&E or MRO here in Calgary. They do ship as well though, so they would be good options too.

#421 3 years ago

Active electronics is another option, active123.com

#422 3 years ago
    Quoted from shaub:

Is this the first year?

First year, yep! We hope you can make it.

#423 3 years ago
    Quoted from flashinstinct:

That logo leaves alot to be desired, I could have never read yegpin from the gp combo without the description. Marketing 101 that is bad. Their line up however is very nice

What we lack in marketing budget we make up for in heart and dedication to pinball. Thanks for the letting us know your thoughts on it however. We do appreciate it all! We are always looking for volunteers / sponsors. Please, PM or join us in the other thread if you have any additional suggestions. We still have time before we start printing the materials. Anything can change.

Quoted from aeonblack:

The logo could be a fat naked man rolling in a pile of cheetoh dust and I would still be interested and attending. I think a lot of pinheads would share the same sentiment.

We did up a sketch/logo with a man rolling in a pile of cheetoh dust. We couldn't help ourselves. Thanks for the laugh Aeon. ***as much as it was good for a laugh, it will not appear on our website or at the event***

The lineup is simply incredible. Thank you to everyone who has offered a machine for the weekend. We only expect this list to grow as we get closer to the event. It will bring together amazing people, what a weekend it will be for pinball in Canada. See you in the official thread!

#424 3 years ago

Heading up to Toronto tomorrow and staying at the Fairmont Royal York on Front Street West. Any places close to play pinball? Also, looking for any places that sell bottled beer!! Looking for the beers that are like cellar or rarer beers not your "common" beers!

#425 3 years ago
    Quoted from Mahoyvan:

My fellow beaver-eaters,

Digikey;
    http://www.digikey.ca/product-search/en/soldering-desoldering-rework-products/solder/1310838?k=solder

#426 3 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

looking for any places that sell bottled beer!!

There's only the Beer Store (litterally, that's the name!) and the LCBO for bottled beer. Local craft brewers can sell their own beers at the brewery, too.

Although I think there's a few Loblaw's with beer now? That's very new.

As for playing around there, I'm not personally aware of any places - only ones I know are west of you by quite a bit.

#427 3 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Heading up to Toronto tomorrow and staying at the Fairmont Royal York on Front Street West. Any places close to play pinball? Also, looking for any places that sell bottled beer!! Looking for the beers that are like cellar or rarer beers not your "common" beers!

Junction City on Dundas West is pretty much your best and only bet!

#428 3 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Dude wrong town. Montreal is beer paradise......but pinball desert lol

#429 3 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

There's only the Beer Store (litterally, that's the name!) and the LCBO for bottled beer. Local craft brewers can sell their own beers at the brewery, too.
    Although I think there's a few Loblaw's with beer now? That's very new.
    As for playing around there, I'm not personally aware of any places - only ones I know are west of you by quite a bit.

Correct. They are testing a few select grocery stores. If you do buy beer at one of the chosen few make sure to go through a checkout lane with someone who is wearing a green t-shirt. Apparently they are trained jedi beer masters and are the only ones that are permitted to accept your money (serious).

#430 3 years ago

I'm confused. Do bars and liquor stores in Ontario not sell bottled beer? It would be weird to get served a can of beer at a bar or restaurant.

#431 3 years ago
    Quoted from str8cash:

I'm confused. Do bars and liquor stores in Ontario not sell bottled beer? It would be weird to get served a can of beer at a bar or restaurant.

Yes they do. I was confused by the post as well and I live here. You can get everything in bottles or cans. Some craft brews are only in cans, while others are only in bottles.

#432 3 years ago
    Quoted from HoneyBadger:

Junction City on Dundas West is pretty much your best and only bet!

We were at a bar called Cabin Fever today on Bloor near Keele (which is closer than the Junction area if you are coming from downtown by subway) and they have five pins. They also have good beer (IPAs and stuff like that). Had no idea this place was there...

#433 3 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

For beers go to the Bier Markt. You can easily walk to the one on The Esplanade from the Royal York. Although no pinball...

http://www.thebiermarkt.com/

#434 3 years ago
    Quoted from scylla:

For beers go to the Bier Markt. You can easily walk to the one on The Esplanade from the Royal York. Although no pinball...
    http://www.thebiermarkt.com/

Blasphemy! Sorry, since they sold out....they suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bar Hop X 2 locations
    Beer Bistro
    C'est What

Pinball and Beer ==>Junction City on Dundas West
    ==> There is a place in Kensington but can't 'member

#435 3 years ago
    Quoted from eh97ac:

Blasphemy! Sorry, since they sold out....they suck!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Bar Hop X 2 locations
    Beer Bistro
    C'est What
    Pinball and Beer ==>Junction City on Dundas West
    ==> There is a place in Kensington but can't 'member

Yeah - I hear you. They were miles better before. But there's still stuff at the Bier Markt I have trouble getting elsewhere - like Delirium and Duvel. Having said that - pretty sure Beer Bistro has both (at least Delirium Tremens - probably not Nocturnum) and their food is better.

Anyway - I would recommend Cabin Fever after yesterday as long as a visitor is willing to get on the subway and head west. Great small bar with tons of character - and 5 pinball machines. Owners are really into pinball and are even starting to host league nights. And it's just a short walk from a subway station. Oh - and pretty good beer although no Belgians (that I recall).

#436 3 years ago
    Quoted from Fifty:

Yes they do. I was confused by the post as well and I live here.

I assumed he meant to take away, which is pretty common in the US. You have to drink it there in the restaurant!

#437 3 years ago

there is take away at some restaurants in Ontario , The Keg lets you take home your undrunk wine

#438 3 years ago

Any good pinball locations in Toronto? When I was there last year all I could find was one per bar.

#439 3 years ago

Read above

#440 3 years ago

Junction City on Dundas West ~ Just the one? What about within a 2hr drive? Anything? I know there was a Playdium that had some, including a X-Men redemption machine that I lit up.

#441 3 years ago

Thanks for all the post! It was a short stay in Toronto so I didn't have a lot of time to go about! I did find the beer I was specifically after at one of the LCBOs so that worked out! Here where I live we have a lot of places to go and buy bottled beer and they're not managed by the government! Found in Toronto that the selection is very minimal!!! None the less......great time in Toronto again and plan on going back!

Always look forward to the drive home from Toronto as your chances of hitting a snow storm in NY and Northern PA are very good

IMG_5534[1]_(resized).JPG

#442 3 years ago

As Canadians, we don't like options.

At least, that's what our government tells us.

#443 3 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

As Canadians, we don't like options.
    At least, that's what our government tells us.

LOL - 10 minutes from me we have a place called House of 1000 Beers..... 36 beers on tap and then just cooler door after cooler door of bottled beer to pick from. It's a place you go to and don't want to leave!!!

Penguins FINALLY looked really good in a game yesterday!!!

#444 3 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

LOL - 10 minutes from me we have a place called House of 1000 Beers..... 36 beers on tap and then just cooler door after cooler door of bottled beer to pick from. It's a place you go to and don't want to leave!!!
    Penguins FINALLY looked really good in a game yesterday!!!

It's nice to watch an actual hockey team, as opposed to the Mike Johnston comedy of errors shit-show.

#445 3 years ago
    Quoted from Maken:

It's nice to watch an actual hockey team, as opposed to the Mike Johnston comedy of errors shit-show.

Wasn't a big fan of Johnston but still think the problem is deeper than that! We have players (i.e. Crosby) running practices and determining where he wants tp play. It's all reminiscent of when Lemiuex did the same thing which led to him having Scotty Bowman fired! Also, hiring Rutherford was a mistake! How you hire a guy who made a career out of producing defensive teams and put him in charge of one of the most offensive teams (at least should be)???

#446 3 years ago
    Quoted from meSz:

Wasn't a big fan of Johnston but still think the problem is deeper than that! We have players (i.e. Crosby) running practices and determining where he wants tp play. It's all reminiscent of when Lemiuex did the same thing which led to him having Scotty Bowman fired! Also, hiring Rutherford was a mistake! How you hire a guy who made a career out of producing defensive teams and put him in charge of one of the most offensive teams (at least should be)???

No doubt, the problem starts at the top with Morehouse and the owners, that has been evident for several years now. Hopefully the team sells and Morehouse is let go. It's really the only solution.

This team is stomach-able under Sully though, I couldn't even watch them under Johnston, it was just too infuriating.

#447 3 years ago

That GHOSTBUSTERS hype is killing me

Have not seen so many people sharring the same enthousiasm on pinside about a new pin for quite awhile

Sure maybe 75% of the people posting did not get to try it or see it and are full of shit

But at least it's a refreshing happy joy joy mood

#448 3 years ago

I am just hoping someone will offload a GOT Prem into my hands once they see GB, since I have zero desire to own a GB. I'm still waiting to hear back from Nitro on GOT Prem pricing, but I ended up switching my Alien LE preorder over to them (saves me money vs. going direct to Heighway).

#449 3 years ago
    Quoted from aeonblack:

I am just hoping someone will offload a GOT Prem into my hands once they see GB, since I have zero desire to own a GB. I'm still waiting to hear back from Nitro on GOT Prem pricing, but I ended up switching my Alien LE preorder over to them (saves me money vs. going direct to Heighway).

Got prem is definately the best looking of the bunch! I think the pro plays better than the pre/le though, didnt find the upper pf added much and just blocked the rest of the pf.

Aliens looks like it could be really interesting.. cant wait to give one a try

#450 3 years ago

Agreed! I keep hearing that (the upper pf blocking the rest of the pf) and I'm really having a hard time understanding it. It's just blocking the visibility of the ball rolling around the orbits, isn't it? I don't really consider that "blocking". Hell, the ramps on TOTAN block visibility of the ball rolling around (not completely, though). Pretty much any 90's and onward game with orbits has blocked orbits to some degree. Is it really that big of a deal?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 89.99
    Lighting - Led
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    £ 49.00
    Playfield - Other
    PinballToys
    £ 99.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    PinballToys
    $ 7.00
    Various Other Swag
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 26.50
    $ 199.00
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 800.00
    Playfields
    Pinball Playfields
    $ 225.00
    Lighting - Interactive
    Professor Pinball
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    £ 55.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    $ 149.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 12.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Gulf Coast Pinball, LLC
    Cabinet - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 87.00
    $ 9.95
    There are 2709 posts in this topic. You are on page 9 of 55.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside