(Topic ID: 137778)

The Canadian Pinhead Thread. What's Up?!

By Jeekayjay

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,733 posts
  • 298 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 64 days ago by Deleenhe
  • Topic is favorited by 196 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0368 (resized).JPG
    20231031_105232.jpg
    20231031_105149.jpg
    20231031_105152.jpg
    20231031_105214.jpg
    20231031_105211.jpg
    20231031_105220.jpg
    20231031_105209.jpg
    20231031_105158.jpg
    20231031_105207.jpg
    20231031_110908.jpg
    IMG_5584 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-20231006-WA0010.jpg
    82eifj (resized).jpg
    IMG_0432 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0078 (resized).JPG

There are 4,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 87 of 95.
    #4301 1 year ago

Drapl can work for you bulb wise ....

#4302 1 year ago

+1 DRAPL or if I'm buying some parts with the bulbs I will order from pinball medics.

#4303 1 year ago

Comet black Friday deals. 25% off 25 packs. Think they're around $17 each or something. Good time to stock up with a big order

#4304 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinPickle:

Anyone buy lights in Canada? I have bought big kits from the US in the past but I only need 5 lights and I'm trying not to get hosed with shipping costs and duties.
    [quoted image]

Dave Astill, Eddie from DRAPL, Pinball Medics- all great Canadian vendors.
    Or slide by Milton and I’ll give u whatever u need.

#4305 1 year ago

Devron at Absolute Pinball sells comet 2smd for a bulk a bulb. So does Arkadium although not sure on the brand. @Glausses in Calgary used to, not sure anymore

#4306 1 year ago

absolute pinball has their own branded LED's they work great!

#4307 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinPickle:

Just bought from comet. Sure it will cost $50 for $6 worth of bulbs when it's all said and done. Will still take a recommendation for next time.

Shippsy is your friend! Pick up location in Mississauga. May come in handy for Black Friday deals.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shipping-to-canada-try-shippsy-located-in-ontario-bc

All your bulb needs here:

http://pinballleds.ca/

#4308 1 year ago

Thanks for the posts I took note and will use them next time. Prefer to support local.

#4309 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinPickle:

Thanks for the posts I took note and will use them next time. Prefer to support local.

I can't stress that enough.....

#4310 1 year ago
    Quoted from toasterman04:

absolute pinball has their own branded LED's they work great!

Shows how long since I've placed a order with him. Haha. Still good to support local whenever possible.

#4311 1 year ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Devron at Absolute Pinball sells comet 2smd for a bulk a bulb. So does Arkadium although not sure on the brand. @Glausses in Calgary used to, not sure anymore

glauses still does too.

#4312 1 year ago

We have our own branded LEDs too.
    It is nice to have LED’s, rubbers and pinballs in stock all the time for local collectors that need them.

#4313 1 year ago

Does anyone in Canada stock Titan flipper rubber, specifically low bounce? The shipping is nuts ordering from them directly.

Thanks

#4314 1 year ago

We stock titan rubbers at arkadium.

#4315 1 year ago
    Quoted from Stretch7:

We stock titan rubbers at arkadium.

Did you guys get a new shipment of flipper rubbers? When I was there last week there were only a few mismatched colors left. I was really wanting some dark blue, red and green. Figured you got picked over from the tournament week prior, I'll stock up next month when I get back.

#4316 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinPickle:

It case you want to purchase any mods down the road from the US. The great thing about Shippsy is you can avoid duty as long as you can get the seller of the product to state on the invoice that the item is 'Made in the USA'. That way there is no limit on buying duty free from the US. When you ship items with a courier, you are at their mercy whether duty gets charged or not. I have used this service around 50 times in the last couple years to buy toppers, etc. and never paid a cent in duty. Never had an item get lost or damaged.

#4317 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

It case you want to purchase any mods down the road from the US. The great thing about Shippsy is you can avoid duty as long as you can get the seller of the product to state on the invoice that the item is 'Made in the USA'. That way there is no limit on buying duty free from the US. When you ship items with a courier, you are at their mercy whether duty gets charged or not. I have used this service around 50 times in the last couple years to buy toppers, etc. and never paid a cent in duty. Never had an item get lost or damaged.

I'm starting to think you work for Shipsy. I have seen your recommendation multiple times. I will try them some day but I use cross boarder express and get it shipped to my door or pick it up in Lewiston when I go for a Target run. They do all the clearing? Cross-boarder is a 3 step process. Ship to UPS, clear-it for customs, cross boarder to deliver.

I'm about to order something from the US, I think I will try Shipsy

#4318 1 year ago

Yes the flipper rubbers sold pretty quick I have to do another order of those, we don’t carry the low bounce rubber as we don’t use it at the arcade, but can add it to our order next time if specific people want them. We also do not carry 4 or 5 inch rubbers and a few other but all those can be special ordered through us to,

Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Did you guys get a new shipment of flipper rubbers? When I was there last week there were only a few mismatched colors left. I was really wanting some dark blue, red and green. Figured you got picked over from the tournament week prior, I'll stock up next month when I get back.

#4319 1 year ago

Shipsy... how does shipping work? Seller ships to Mississauga. So the one thing I am buying is 45lbs and shipping is free in the USD and $68.14 to ship to Canada. Shipping to Lewiston is likely the better bet.

#4320 1 year ago

anyone know if you can use Shipsy for Canada shipping ?

#4321 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinPickle:

Shipsy... how does shipping work? Seller ships to Mississauga. So the one thing I am buying is 45lbs and shipping is free in the USD and $68.14 to ship to Canada. Shipping to Lewiston is likely the better bet.

When you sign up with Shippsy they give you a US address, so have it shipped there. Shippsy will notify you that it arrived and you tell them where you want to pick it up. I go to the one in Mississauga. They bring it over the border and you either pick it up (total cost is something like $8 to bring it to their location) or have them re-ship it to your house at additional cost.

#4322 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinPickle:

I'm starting to think you work for Shipsy. I have seen your recommendation multiple times. I will try them some day but I use cross boarder express and get it shipped to my door or pick it up in Lewiston when I go for a Target run. They do all the clearing? Cross-boarder is a 3 step process. Ship to UPS, clear-it for customs, cross boarder to deliver.
    I'm about to order something from the US, I think I will try Shipsy

They take care of everything. You get a free US address and have the item shipped there. So you just pay US to US shipping. Then you have to upload an invoice and depending on the price of the item, you may be subject to HST and duty. You can avoid the duty if you provide an invoice with proof item is made in the USA. Duty only applies to purchases over a certain dollar amount. All the details are in the link I sent. Then they charge you $7.00 CDN to ship the product from NY State to their depots in Ontario. The link I sent will also give you $10 CDN off your first shipment (I also get $10). We both win Let me know if you have any questions. It is a great service as there are many horror stories where the duty exceeded the cost of the item shipped as a lot of the courier companies are crooks.

#4323 1 year ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

I think it is only US to Canada. But they will forward to anywhere in Canada if you buy from a US vendor. You can also use them to ship items to the US from Canada. Have never used this service.

#4324 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

It case you want to purchase any mods down the road from the US. The great thing about Shippsy is you can avoid duty as long as you can get the seller of the product to state on the invoice that the item is 'Made in the USA'. That way there is no limit on buying duty free from the US. When you ship items with a courier, you are at their mercy whether duty gets charged or not.

Not an expert by any means, but it is my understanding you shouldn't get charged duty on any pinball accessories. Pinball machines and accessories are covered under tariff code 9504.30, which is duty free if coming from MFN (most favored nations), which is pretty much everyone other than Russia and Belarus right now. Never been charged duty on any pinball stuff I have shipped from the US. Taxes yes, duty, no.

Not saying don't use Shippsy, but I don't think avoiding being charged duty is a primary reason to use it.

#4325 1 year ago

As someone else mentioned there should be a clarification between duty and brokerage fees. Sometimes you will get charged a brokerage fee to process your tax (gst/hst) owed.

In many cases in the last few years I have not been charged brokerage and taxes on pinball items which has been kinda nice. Your milage may vary

#4326 1 year ago

True. There are actually three separate things. Duty, tax and brokerage fees.

Duty - As mentioned, you should never be charged duty on pinball stuff. If you are, you can probably dispute and get it back.

Tax - GST/HST. Mostly unavoidable unless you get a friendly border agent. Sometimes I haven't been charged GST when shipping USPS to Canada Post, depends on the value of the package and how busy they are. Unavoidable in my experience if using UPS or FedEx.

Brokerage fees - Charged for someone clearing customs/paying tax on your behalf. FedEx, UPS, DHL can be terrible. Canada Post is fixed rate ($10 or $20?).

Some shippers lump this all under one fee that they might call "Duty/taxes" or whatever, but will provide a breakdown if asked.

Services like Shippsy have the benefit of allowing you cheaper shipping (cuz it is going to a US address), and low brokerage fees. Great choice if you live near one of their locations. Not sure what their local ship rates are like though, so not sure how well it would work for the middle of the country.

#4327 1 year ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

True. There are actually three separate things. Duty, tax and brokerage fees.
    Duty - As mentioned, you should never be charged duty on pinball stuff. If you are, you can probably dispute and get it back.
    Tax - GST/HST. Mostly unavoidable unless you get a friendly border agent. Sometimes I haven't been charged GST when shipping USPS to Canada Post, depends on the value of the package and how busy they are. Unavoidable in my experience if using UPS or FedEx.
    Brokerage fees - Charged for someone clearing customs/paying tax on your behalf. FedEx, UPS, DHL can be terrible. Canada Post is fixed rate ($10 or $20?).
    Some shippers lump this all under one fee that they might call "Duty/taxes" or whatever, but will provide a breakdown if asked.
    Services like Shippsy have the benefit of allowing you cheaper shipping (cuz it is going to a US address), and low brokerage fees. Great choice if you live near one of their locations. Not sure what their local ship rates are like though, so not sure how well it would work for the middle of the country.

In Alberta I use Montana mailbox, which does the same thing. They bring it up to one of the 2 Edmonton locations. It really came In handy for delivering van parts. Lots of places wouldn't deliver to Canada, or else was free freight is us only. Always worked out cheaper than paying the companies ship to Canada rate.

#4328 1 year ago

$7 from US to Can is crazy.

#4329 1 year ago
    Quoted from jesperpark:

In Alberta I use Montana mailbox, which does the same thing. They bring it up to one of the 2 Edmonton locations. It really came In handy for delivering van parts. Lots of places wouldn't deliver to Canada, or else was free freight is us only. Always worked out cheaper than paying the companies ship to Canada rate.

Could you PM me who provides this service? Hopefully they have a Calgary drop off site as well. TIA

#4330 1 year ago
    Quoted from jesperpark:

Nice - Thanks for the lead....

#4331 1 year ago
    Quoted from Lamonsoff:

Could you PM me who provides this service? Hopefully they have a Calgary drop off site as well. TIA

Google them. They're only 3.5 hours away from you in Sweetgrass - says they use DKY to ship it to you -

"You can choose to pick up the parcels in person to save on customs brokerage fee or schedule DYK Post in Canada for cross-border shipping to you."

#4332 1 year ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Shippsy will re-ship from Toronto if you want yes.

#4333 1 year ago
    Quoted from kool1:

Shippsy will re-ship from Toronto if you want yes.

I think he was asking Cdn to Cdn address. Shipping from within Canada seems pretty reasonable (once the item is received from the US location into Canada). I give a couple examples of the cost of items I shipped to my home and someone gave an example for out to the Maritimes in the Shippy thread.

#4334 1 year ago

Make sure you hit up the Glocca Morra in Sweetgrass!

#4335 1 year ago
    Quoted from GoodManners:

Google them. They're only 3.5 hours away from you in Sweetgrass - says they use DKY to ship it to you -
    "You can choose to pick up the parcels in person to save on customs brokerage fee or schedule DYK Post in Canada for cross-border shipping to you."

Correct I consider them one and the same. They aren't the fastest option, but definitely saves money. Also great work around for places that wouldn't ship to Canada

#4336 1 year ago

Oops duplicate

#4337 1 year ago

Alright, signed up for shipsy. Easiest thing ever.

I sent my (shipsy) address to the store I bought some goods.

Anything else need to be done on my end or will I just get notified when it arrives in Mississauga. Seems to easy.

#4338 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinPickle:

Anything else need to be done on my end or will I just get notified when it arrives in Mississauga. Seems to easy.

Make sure you include the SHP# in the address! They will send you an email when it arrives in NY. Then you have to upload an invoice. Then it ships to Mississauga. Once it arrives in Miss they will send you another email to pay the taxes, Shippsy fee. They will also send you a pickup slip that u bring with you.

#4339 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinPickle:

You will receive a email notification when they receive a delivery - everything else is managed through your Shippsy dashboard.

pinballjah I think is a secret employee. I on the other hand am just a satisfied user and will receive a small gift of appreciation if you use this link https://portal.shippsy.com/register/20vkPB to set-up an account.

All kidding aside, I have been very happy with their service but I still check shipping to my home address vs. Shippsy. With some merchants refusing to ship to Canada (aka JJP) or others simply charging an arm and a leg, Shippsy is a no brainer. Others, like American Pinball I have just had them ship direct as it was the cheaper, faster option. Certainly for those that can go to Shippsy's store and pickup that's great but for us prairie boys that's simply not an option.

Good luck... and click my link.

#4340 1 year ago

I am not a big fan of shippsy but might be worth it for people in TO.
    My usa address dot com is cheap as shippsg and easier service to use, no nonsense.

Last time I use shippsy, signing up was very easy but they make you do 100% of the work to declare your order. This means if you ordered 100 items from Marco specialties you have to enter all the data yourself, description, quantity and else.
    It can take a long while to do this little task when you order $500 in parts from pinball life. Ask me how I know

After that experience I decided to not use them again. Maybe their process is better now? This was a year+ ago so could be better, but not going to try again unless the order is very small or one single big item.

#4341 1 year ago

So anything non shipsy related going on in this thread

#4342 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

if you ordered 100 items from Marco specialties you have to enter all the data yourself, description, quantity and else.

Not to quibble with you but that hasn't been my experience. In the case you sighted I simply indicated "pinball parts" and uploaded the invoice. Of course you're the one that has to declare what you bought - Shippsy has no way of knowing. But as far as entering all the individual details, besides the invoice - Marco just makes a blanket declaration as "Pinball Parts". Perhaps you over thunk it - it really has been trouble free.

#4343 1 year ago
    Quoted from SLicK350:

Not to quibble with you but that hasn't been my experience. In the case you sighted I simply indicated "pinball parts" and uploaded the invoice. Of course you're the one that has to declare what you bought - Shippsy has no way of knowing. But as far as entering all the individual details, besides the invoice - Marco just makes a blanket declaration as "Pinball Parts". Perhaps you over thunk it - it really has been trouble free.

yeah...I did it the easy way - like you mention - and there was a person from shipsy who communicated with me multiple times and would reject my 'request to ship'...

Not only I did do the data entr once but actually twice or more, can't remember. It was really a poor experience. Maybe I got the new clerk, or the clerk who was quitting that day lol It was just terrible. He made me declare how many screws I was ordering, what type of screws, bolts, everything.
    I obviously complained with shipssy. Nothing, crickets.

Spent more than one hour doing that data entry...

hahaha, writing this is giving me PTSD. No more shittsy for me, unless it is one item, I am not messing around with that nonsense.

#4344 1 year ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

Yes the flipper rubbers sold pretty quick I have to do another order of those, we don’t carry the low bounce rubber as we don’t use it at the arcade, but can add it to our order next time if specific people want them. We also do not carry 4 or 5 inch rubbers and a few other but all those can be special ordered through us to,

Place your order in time for the Black Friday sale?

#4345 1 year ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

So anything non shipsy related going on in this thread

I need another game. Have a empty van and a pocket full of cash. Road trip if I can find a game I want

#4346 1 year ago

I am not a big fan of shippsy but might be worth it for people in TO.
    My usa address dot com is cheap as shippsg and easier service to use, no nonsense.
    Last time I use shippsy, signing up was very easy but they make you do 100% of the work to declare your order. This means if you ordered 100 items from Marco specialties you have to enter all the data yourself, description, quantity and else.
    It can take a long while to do this little task when you order $500 in parts from pinball life. Ask me how I know
    After that experience I decided to not use them again. Maybe their process is better now? This was a year+ ago so could be better, but not going to try again unless the order is very small or one single big item.

Never had that problem, just write Pinball Part or Toys and order is good to go.

#4347 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Never had that problem, just write Pinball Part or Toys and order is good to go.

I understand, seems it was corrected.
    I use myusaaddress, cost the same and it is simpler, can also pick it up and its closer to me. Huge facility in Ogdensburg.

#4348 1 year ago

Hi my name is Dave Astill. I am pinballrom.com check us out. I provide roms for all pinballs and also sell LEDS . We are currently having a Black Friday sale on roms and LEDS. 15 % off. That means 2 smd no ghost frosted bulbs are .85 Canadian.

#4349 1 year ago
    Quoted from Astill:

Hi my name is Dave Astill. I am pinballrom.com check us out. I provide roms for all pinballs and also sell LEDS . We are currently having a Black Friday sale on roms and LEDS. 15 % off. That means 2 smd no ghost frosted bulbs are .85 Canadian.

buy with confidence ..... great to deal with and ships quick !

#4350 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinPickle:

Have been using Shippsy for years. I just picked up some pinball banners and my headphone jack for my Rush from Flippn'out.

It's opens up the US for us weary Canadians. It's too bad more cities don't have a pick up point.

Ordered a bunch of parts from Pinball Life a while back and just said - "pinball parts" all together. Went through ok.

There are 4,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 87 of 95.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/canadian-pinballers-thread-chat-here/page/87 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.