(Topic ID: 137778)

The Canadian Pinhead Thread. What's Up?!

By Jeekayjay

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,733 posts
  • 298 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 86 days ago by Deleenhe
  • Topic is favorited by 196 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0368 (resized).JPG
    20231031_105232.jpg
    20231031_105149.jpg
    20231031_105152.jpg
    20231031_105214.jpg
    20231031_105211.jpg
    20231031_105220.jpg
    20231031_105209.jpg
    20231031_105158.jpg
    20231031_105207.jpg
    20231031_110908.jpg
    IMG_5584 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-20231006-WA0010.jpg
    82eifj (resized).jpg
    IMG_0432 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0078 (resized).JPG
    There are 4,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 85 of 95.
    #4201 1 year ago

I’m looking to make a trade with a pinside ton Michigan. The plan is to drive my pin across and take his back.

Anyone have experience with this? Anything I should have prepared? Anything in particular I should say?

#4202 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinPickle:

I’m looking to make a trade with a pinside ton Michigan. The plan is to drive my pin across and take his back.
    Anyone have experience with this? Anything I should have prepared? Anything in particular I should say?

Lol I know how this ends

Border Agent: where ya going young fella?
    Mr Pickles: going to Michigan good Sir.
    Agent: to do what? Deliver the pin you sold for 18 but ya gonna lie?
    Mr Pickle: yea Sir
    Agent: hope ya like orange?

Lol

7C89F1DA-9142-49CD-BBD8-E07E009186CD (resized).jpeg7C89F1DA-9142-49CD-BBD8-E07E009186CD (resized).jpeg
    #4203 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

Lol I know how this ends
    Border Agent: where ya going young fella?
    Mr Pickles: going to Michigan good Sir.
    Agent: to do what? Deliver the pin you sold for 18 but ya gonna lie?
    Mr Pickle: yea Sir
    Agent: hope ya like orange?
    Lol[quoted image]

Lol

#4204 1 year ago

bwahahahahahahahaha

Damn that's funny!

I'm not looking to lie at all. I have NEXUS and I have to play by the rules or it's gone. Just curious to what taxes and fees I should be prepared to pay.

Thanks and fantastic artistry!!! I saved the image.

#4205 1 year ago

From what I remember a trade is the same as buying as far as taxes go. Talk them into crossing over and exchanging on the Canadian side,...i don't think they get hosed like we do.

#4206 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinPickle:

Thanks and fantastic artistry!!! I saved the image.

Could be your new avatar..!

#4207 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinPickle:

Canadian Customs doesn't care about trade value. You will need a receipt as proof to determine the value for the 13% tax when you cross back into Canada. You will have to pay the tax based on the agreed value. They may give you a hard time if the value is not reasonable. You may also need to prove to them you brought the game across to make the trade. The bigger issue is bringing the game into the US. US Customs could give you a hard time if you tell them you are selling the game in the US. Never done this before but I can see it being an issue if they decide to make it one. Also, when you bring the game over the US border, I would make sure you can access the coin door in case they decide to look inside the game for drugs, guns, etc. Hopefully they decide not to look in the backbox as you would need to unfold the game and rewrap it. Good luck!

I just came back from Michigan two weeks ago with a game. I recommend the Sarnia border crossing, a lot quicker than Windsor.

#4208 1 year ago
    Quoted from guard:

From what I remember a trade is the same as buying as far as taxes go. Talk them into crossing over and exchanging on the Canadian side,...i don't think they get hosed like we do.

If the US seller brings the game into Canada, they would still need to pay the 13% tax at the Canadian border based on the agreed value/FMV. Can't be avoided.

#4209 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

If the US seller brings the game into Canada, they would still need to pay the 13% tax at the Canadian border based on the agreed value/FMV. Can't be avoided.

I agree - tax is likely unavoidable.

#4210 1 year ago

I'm just going by my experience, I once took an old Bally Circus to Flint,Mich. so a friend of the buyer in California could ship from there. It made it much easier/cheaper for the buyer, but did I get a lot of serious questions from the US Border folk about "running a business in the US".

#4211 1 year ago
    Quoted from kool1:

I agree - tax is likely unavoidable.

luckily we are at 5% here , brought a couple over the border recently and they seem confused as to what to charge for taxes here !
    I had to tell the border guard to check under coin op amusement machines to find the fee and he thought a 1995 game would have little to no value in todays market !
    been lucky twice and paid a couple of hundred to get 2 games across !

#4212 1 year ago

I've brought 4 games across all together and it's been 50/50 even though I always tell them everything.
    Two I got waived through, and two I paid tax on.
    And one of those was because I hit a Costco in Detroit for cheap booze.
    (And since the $500 US Stern POTC was from an auction house that was what I paid on.)

Yes, the lucky bug was shining on me that week.

#4213 1 year ago

Love the insight. Thank you all!!

I reached out to my trader.

#4214 1 year ago

For anyone who hasn't visited Arkadium in Sherwood Park yet, you absolutely must!!!
    It's like arcade heaven. I didn't count but there's at least 50 pinball machines and 30 arcades, all on free play. Admission was cheap ($15 or $17 I think) full bar and there's leds, rubbers and balls available for purchase. Really good mix of old and new pinball and just about every classic/best arcade games you could think of.
    An absolute must stop/plan a trip to go there whenever near Edmonton. You won't be disappointed

#4215 1 year ago

Too bad we didn't have a bigger space we got 30 more in storage and at collectors houses lol...

Quoted from dirkdiggler:

For anyone who hasn't visited Arkadium in Sherwood Park yet, you absolutely must!!!
    It's like arcade heaven. I didn't count but there's at least 50 pinball machines and 30 arcades, all on free play. Admission was cheap ($15 or $17 I think) full bar and there's leds, rubbers and balls available for purchase. Really good mix of old and new pinball and just about every classic/best arcade games you could think of.
    An absolute must stop/plan a trip to go there whenever near Edmonton. You won't be disappointed

#4216 1 year ago

Anyone know of locations in St Albert? Found a Deadpool at The Stand-up Bar

#4217 1 year ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Man your on the pinball tour of the west!

#4218 1 year ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

Man your on the pinball tour of the west!

Rumor has it he's coming by my place tomorrow afternoon, will probably beat all my high scores again

#4219 1 year ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

My house isn't half bad. Decent selection of new Sterns. And free beer.

#4220 1 year ago

^^^

Ron has an outstanding collection of modern machines been a long time since I have been there but the last time I was there his home collection is awesome. We are very lucky in Edmonton / Calgary there are so many awesome home collectors.

Quoted from Apollyon:

My house isn't half bad. Decent selection of new Sterns. And free beer.

#4221 1 year ago
    Quoted from Apollyon:

And free beer.

address please !

#4222 1 year ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:Man your on the pinball tour of the west!

Calgary and Edmonton this week. Saskatoon Monday. I'm just thankful there's so many great locations to play.

Quoted from pins4life33:

^^^
    Ron has an outstanding collection of modern machines

Don't forget about that awesome looking bowling game.

#4223 1 year ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Calgary and Edmonton this week. Saskatoon Monday. I'm just thankful there's so many great locations to play.

Don't forget about that awesome looking bowling game.

Tournament on Sunday in regina.. will we see you there Jay!?!

#4225 1 year ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Tournament on Sunday in regina.. will we see you there Jay!?!

Haha. Sunday will be first day home in a couple weeks. Looking forward to sitting on the couch and watching some football before back on the road to Saskatoon Monday.

#4226 1 year ago

Naturally, the square root of 36. Lol

#4227 1 year ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

^^^
    Ron has an outstanding collection of modern machines been a long time since I have been there but the last time I was there his home collection is awesome. We are very lucky in Edmonton / Calgary there are so many awesome home collectors.

That is very kind of you to say Derek. You are more than welcome to come by again! I just have to turn my machines off before you enter your high scores if you come to play.

Kudos to you for continuing to host such an amazing pinball show each year. It has grown so much since the show in the motel basement. I go to the NW show in Tacoma and Expo in Chicago every year, and YEGPIN is comparable to those great shows. All thanks to your vision and execution with outstanding volunteers.

#4228 1 year ago

I appreciate all of the great feedback and personal kudos for YEGPIN, it’s a labour of love for everyone involved and lucky to have a great team that dedicates their time to make it now a world class event.

Appreciate the invites whenever I get them thou such a busy guy with the arcade, YEGPIN, out of town competitive tournaments and personal life I rarely get to hang out anymore.

Quoted from Apollyon:

That is very kind of you to say Derek. You are more than welcome to come by again! I just have to turn my machines off before you enter your high scores if you come to play.
    Kudos to you for continuing to host such an amazing pinball show each year. It has grown so much since the show in the motel basement. I go to the NW show in Tacoma and Expo in Chicago every year, and YEGPIN is comparable to those great shows. All thanks to your vision and execution with outstanding volunteers.

#4229 1 year ago

Sold my GZ Premium, couldn't get into it. The novelty of the building going up and down and the bridge shaking wears off pretty fast. Think I would enjoy the pro?

#4230 1 year ago

Long player and after playing the premium on location I can say these toys add nothing really that a brief cool factor that wears off rather fast.
    At the current prices I am not interested in premium as much anymore.

Quoted from pinballjah:

Sold my GZ Premium, couldn't get into it. The novelty of the building going up and down and the bridge shaking wears off pretty fast. Think I would enjoy the pro?

#4231 1 year ago

Respectfully, I strongly disagree with both of you with regards to Godzilla, but in general I feel the premium price tag often does not offer the bump in quality/fun for the steep price increase.

#4232 1 year ago

Another shipping question here.

I have to get a pin to Pennsylvania from Oakville. I have reached out to Beltmann as I have used them in the past.

My buyer wants to try and get the pin for next weekend so that leaves local movers as the only option. It's only a 6hr drive but he or I don't have the time to do it.

I have no problem using a local delivery guy, cost might even be comparable given the distance. My issue is, I don't want him to have any surprises.

Has anyone delivered a game to the US?

#4233 1 year ago

I would image a customs broker would need to be involved.

#4234 1 year ago
    Quoted from PinPickle:

Another shipping question here.
    I have to get a pin to Pennsylvania from Oakville. I have reached out to Beltmann as I have used them in the past.
    My buyer wants to try and get the pin for next weekend so that leaves local movers as the only option. It's only a 6hr drive but he or I don't have the time to do it.
    I have no problem using a local delivery guy, cost might even be comparable given the distance. My issue is, I don't want him to have any surprises.
    Has anyone delivered a game to the US?

If it was coming into Canada, I could give you a hand. In the last month I have picked up games in Michigan and NY State for local collectors. A lot better option than using a delivery service and hoping it arrives ok. I be glad to help you but wouldn't want to get stuck at the border trying to bring the game over.

#4235 1 year ago
    Quoted from aeonblack:

Respectfully, I strongly disagree with both of you with regards to Godzilla, but in general I feel the premium price tag often does not offer the bump in quality/fun for the steep price increase.

I think you are correct, a lot more bang for the buck with the premium.

#4236 1 year ago

Anyone here in the godzilla order that was supposed to ship in August? Anyone get their game? Still waiting for mine, and no news or updates.

#4237 1 year ago

If anyone in Alberta or Saskatchewan would like to put a GZ premium on location, I'd be glad to put a bunch of games on it to see if the upgrades are worth the price tag

#4238 1 year ago

I ordered Godzilla prem, in December haven’t heard anything on it, but got my alien so that’s been occupying my time lol, awesome game imo

#4239 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Actually played a GZ premium for the first time this weekend - I was impressed. I would have to play more to know for sure if the toys just get tiring.

I love the pro though - I have a lot of games on that at various locations and it's a great shooter.

#4240 1 year ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

If anyone in Alberta or Saskatchewan would like to put a GZ premium on location, I'd be glad to put a bunch of games on it to see if the upgrades are worth the price tag

Revival Brewcade in Calgary has a GZ premium the last time I was there.

#4241 1 year ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Drive east man! I'm always open for a pop in

#4242 1 year ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

There is a Mandalorian Premium along side a Godzilla Pro at Stoked Centre in toon. $2 a game. I'm not sure anyone else routes Premiums in toon anymore. Just no ROI on them sadly.

#4243 1 year ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

Drive east man! I'm always open for a pop in

Watch, when I finally make it up your way you'll be on the road for kids hockey.

#4244 1 year ago
    Quoted from kool1:

Actually played a GZ premium for the first time this weekend - I was impressed. I would have to play more to know for sure if the toys just get tiring.
    I love the pro though - I have a lot of games on that at various locations and it's a great shooter.

I've played a GZ premium a decent amount at Maple, honestly it's the one table right now I wouldn't even consider the Pro. The Premium just feels like the proper game.

#4245 1 year ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Watch, when I finally make it up your way you'll be on the road for kids hockey.

I'm gone much less. One's away at UofS and the other is playing the the SJHL. So there's many road games I can watch on TV which is cool, the closer ones i'll travel to though.

#4246 1 year ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Next time come over and try out my LE

#4247 1 year ago

Anyone from the GTA going to the Pinball Expo this weekend in Chicago? Cheers.

#4248 1 year ago

I wish I was going to Expo - my buddy bailed so I cancelled last month.

#4249 1 year ago

We will be arriving on Wednesday for some pre expo shenanigans.

Hope to see a few of you guys there.

1 week later
    #4250 1 year ago

What are you guys using to ship games to the border these days? I'm looking to ship a game from Fargo, MN to the Alberta border crossing at Sweetgrass MT.

There are 4,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 85 of 95.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/canadian-pinballers-thread-chat-here/page/85 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.