(Topic ID: 137778)

The Canadian Pinhead Thread. What's Up?!

By Jeekayjay

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,733 posts
  • 298 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 85 days ago by Deleenhe
  • Topic is favorited by 196 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0368 (resized).JPG
    20231031_105232.jpg
    20231031_105149.jpg
    20231031_105152.jpg
    20231031_105214.jpg
    20231031_105211.jpg
    20231031_105220.jpg
    20231031_105209.jpg
    20231031_105158.jpg
    20231031_105207.jpg
    20231031_110908.jpg
    IMG_5584 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-20231006-WA0010.jpg
    82eifj (resized).jpg
    IMG_0432 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0078 (resized).JPG
    There are 4,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 83 of 95.
    #4101 1 year ago
    Quoted from Saltimbanco:

Visit pinmeds in OTT Wednesday evening then. Bunch of classic games to play for 10$ (which includes a tournament if you want to join). Wings and Tallboy for 10$. So much fun for twenty bucks!!
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Sounds great! Not sure if I can make it Wed but I’ll be playing there at least 1 night. I never miss it when I’m in town!

#4102 1 year ago
    Quoted from Saltimbanco:

Visit pinmeds in OTT Wednesday evening then. Bunch of classic games to play for 10$ (which includes a tournament if you want to join). Wings and Tallboy for 10$. So much fun for twenty bucks!!
    [quoted image][quoted image]

Place looks amazing

#4103 1 year ago

I'm curious what everyone else's success rates are for listing games on Kijiji. I've never had to bother with it, always been able to sell to fellow collectors and people in the community, but with the market seemingly slowing down (and me still needing to move a few games), I might finally make the effort to list on there. Also, for the sales you've had on kijiji, was it to people completely new to the hobby?

#4104 1 year ago
    Quoted from aeonblack:

I'm curious what everyone else's success rates are for listing games on Kijiji. I've never had to bother with it, always been able to sell to fellow collectors and people in the community, but with the market seemingly slowing down (and me still needing to move a few games), I might finally make the effort to list on there. Also, for the sales you've had on kijiji, was it to people completely new to the hobby?

A mix of both new and existing hobbyists.
    kijiji is a bit of a nuisance, but better than FB marktplace.

I've had an easy sale or two on "Pinball Machines for sale in Canada" group on FB

#4105 1 year ago
    Quoted from aeonblack:

I have a few pinball collector friends who aren't on pinside. Most of the games they bought were from kijiji or container deals. Maybe a couple from Facebook. Every game I've sold was on kijiji so I'd stick with it if I had a game to sell.

#4106 1 year ago
    Quoted from aeonblack:

I have only sold one machine but I originally listed it on pinballrevolution and facebook ontario pinball/arcade group because that's where the most knowledgable and legit collectors are. After a week I listed it on kijiji and it sold like a day later to someone there. They were new to the hobby but were cool and easy to deal with so it worked out.

Because of the more anonymous and general nature of kijiji you might get a bit more noise:signal but in general I've always found kijiji a good place to sell and buy.

#4107 1 year ago

used them all, why would not you. Not everybody is on all platforms. Simple.

#4108 1 year ago

Anyone looking at going to the Chicago Expo in Oct 19-22?

#4109 1 year ago
    Quoted from Waynezor:

I'm pondering driving down for the weekend.

#4110 1 year ago
    Quoted from Waynezor:

Probably.

#4111 1 year ago
    Quoted from Waynezor:

A few of us will be making the trip to Chicago from Ottawa.

#4112 1 year ago

Looks like the same gang of 4 from Allentown are doing Chicago.

#4113 1 year ago

Anyone have a good in at Nitro?
    I just want to know if they sold any Stern Heavy Metals.
    I know I got the only P1 preorder.
    Would like to know if mine is the only preorder sold here.
    I know there is a GRG after release here in Ontario.

#4114 1 year ago
    Quoted from BMHouze:

Pre-order? You mean you haven't got that pin yet???

#4115 1 year ago

In case people are unaware, the cne in toronto has a bunch of pinball machines people can play. Some are only available for tournament players but there are games like toy story 4, star wars, jurassic park and others available for the general public to play.

#4116 1 year ago
    Quoted from stubborngamer:

In case people are unaware, the cne in toronto has a bunch of pinball machines people can play. Some are only available for tournament players but there are games like toy story 4, star wars, jurassic park and others available for the general public to play.

There is a Toy Story and SW at the CNE right now.

#4117 1 year ago

With HM there were pre orders.
    Then sales tanked.
    All the rest were sold to Game Room Guys.
    The EU tariff at the time killed sales.

#4118 1 year ago
    Quoted from BMHouze:

Why don't you just send Tommy an email and ask him?

#4119 1 year ago

You could also call, I mean, they are a business lol. Does anyone else remember that channel 5 commercial from the 90's? "Pick uuuuup the phoooone...call us! We're waiting for your call!" pretty sure it was for some "party line" or something.

#4120 1 year ago
    Quoted from aeonblack:

You could also call, I mean, they are a business lol. Does anyone else remember that channel 5 commercial from the 90's? "Pick uuuuup the phoooone...call us! We're waiting for your call!" pretty sure it was for some "party line" or something.

Late night sex commercials.

Now we know what you were doing

#4121 1 year ago
    Quoted from Meegis:

Late night sex commercials.
    Now we know what you were doing

before or after the weight shaker commercial?

#4122 1 year ago

Anyone been down to the Toronto Ex yet? Anything interesting to play? I was planning on going Friday morning. All machines set to free play for 18 days.

https://www.theex.com/contests/pinball-tournament/

Pinwalker

#4123 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pinwalker:

Anyone been down to the Toronto Ex yet? Anything interesting to play? I was planning on going Friday morning. All machines set to free play for 18 days.
    https://www.theex.com/contests/pinball-tournament/
    Pinwalker

It's a bit annoying to wait for people to stop playing, not that there is a long line to play the machines or anything. But hey, most places that have a lot of pinball machines have not ideal hours, and this is open all day, so there's that.

From what I remember the machines you could actually play are:

Toy Story 4
    Star Wars
    Madelorian
    Houdini
    Oktoberfest
    New Jurassic Park and the home version
    Cactus Jack
    Hot Wheels

Maybe there's one more, there's also a bunch more(15 or so) in the tournament area, but regular folk can only look at them, not sure when the pinball tournament ends(maybe this weekend sometime). At that point perhaps the general public can play those? Dunno. There's stuff like Godzilla, Rush, in there.

#4124 1 year ago

So there’s more games cut off from play for the tournament than are available to play? That’s kind of a slap in the face to the public that might want to try different games.

#4125 1 year ago

That list looks like what is on the demo floor at Player One. Hmm maybe this is a waste of time. Anyone else with some details?

PinWalker

#4126 1 year ago

Running a show it is hard to please both sides. We had 100 games in tournament side and 125 pins on the other side and the public would complain that there were titles they could not play that were in the tournament area. You really can’t win as the tournament players need dedicated machines to conduct their tournament. The CNE is more of a pinball tournament then a pinball show, that is its focus and I would be personally glad that there are some free play machines there because the machine that are there are really there for competitive pinball and would not be there otherwise.

Quoted from Hammerhead:

So there’s more games cut off from play for the tournament than are available to play? That’s kind of a slap in the face to the public that might want to try different games.

#4127 1 year ago

It's basically a tournament set up at the Ex and Player One has brought 8 or 10 pins there from their showroom that are available to play by the public.

1 week later
    #4128 1 year ago

Anyone using Shippsy, please note they are moving their US address in Niagara Falls, NY to Sanborn, NY. This is effective September 5, 2022. More details here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shipping-to-canada-try-shippsy-located-in-ontario-bc#post-7115201

#4129 1 year ago
    Quoted from Waynezor:

FYI - the Expo website is not exactly clear or up to date but we got this email reply (see below) from them a couple of days ago re the cancelled in-person Stern factory tour (now virtual at no cost) and the added in-person JJP factory tour (no cost but on a first come first served basis). My wife and I are driving down about 5 days early to do some tourist stuff. Stern said in a separate follow-up email to us that they are concerned with increased cases of Covid.

“Sorry for any confusion. The in person Stern tour Thursday got moved to virtual on Friday morning. Jersey Jack Pinball is now doing their own tour Thursday – running buses starting at 9:00 through 1:30 pm (every 45 minutes) – first come first served and no charge.
    If you bought a package, the refund is $30 and if you bought tickets only – the refund is for the full $60.00. We apologize again and look forward to seeing you in a few weeks.”

#4130 1 year ago
    Quoted from Williams95:

FYI - the Expo website is not exactly clear or up to date but we got this email reply (see below) from them a couple of days ago re the cancelled in-person Stern factory tour (now virtual at no cost) and the added in-person JJP factory tour (no cost but on a first come first served basis). My wife and I are driving down about 5 days early to do some tourist stuff. Stern said in a separate follow-up email to us that they are concerned with increased cases of Covid.
    “Sorry for any confusion. The in person Stern tour Thursday got moved to virtual on Friday morning. Jersey Jack Pinball is now doing their own tour Thursday – running buses starting at 9:00 through 1:30 pm (every 45 minutes) – first come first served and no charge.
    If you bought a package, the refund is $30 and if you bought tickets only – the refund is for the full $60.00. We apologize again and look forward to seeing you in a few weeks.”

Ah that sucks for sure. I heard Covid is pretty bad in Chicago right now so I guess not a complete shock but it's still more than a month out?

Still haven't decided if I'm going. It's a long drive my buddy is wavering LOL.

#4131 1 year ago
    Quoted from kool1:

Pfft, less than a single day's drive. If you've gone to Allentown or Pintastic, Expo is easy.

#4132 1 year ago
    Quoted from kool1:

Ah that sucks for sure. I heard Covid is pretty bad in Chicago right now so I guess not a complete shock but it's still more than a month out?

The wife and I were going to make a vacation out of Expo and head down for the week. The cancellation of the Stern tour and C-19 cases rising has changed our minds.

Going to make an overnight trip to to Buffalo and check this place out.

https://www.pocketeerbilliardsandbar.com/pinball/

Not quite the same but at least I get to play some pinball!

Anybody been lately? What are the shape of the games? A few Youtube videos look promising.

PinWalker

#4133 1 year ago

If you going to Buffalo maybe check Buffalo Pinball. I believe these guys run another arcade there.

#4134 1 year ago

How do you guys price pins based in Canada? Just usd converted to canadian from pinside most recent comparables?

It seems like there's just a Canada 1k tax on top of that from what I've seen. I'm new and I don't know if there's a rule of thumb to follow so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question!

I'm contemplating trading/selling one of my pins soon and just want to do it properly.

#4135 1 year ago
    Quoted from Waffles:

How do you guys price pins based in Canada? Just usd converted to canadian from pinside most recent comparables?
    It seems like there's just a Canada 1k tax on top of that from what I've seen. I'm new and I don't know if there's a rule of thumb to follow so I'm sorry if this is a dumb question!
    I'm contemplating trading/selling one of my pins soon and just want to do it properly.

These prices can also change in different geographical areas in Canada. A lot of it is just close to USD converted to CAD.

Stern Pro - 6,800 United States Dollar equals - 8,930.07 Canadian = not too far off prices.
    Also depends on whats currently going on, prices are fuckin whacked out for some pins.

#4136 1 year ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

These prices can also change in different geographical areas in Canada. A lot of it is just close to USD converted to CAD.
    Stern Pro - 6,800 United States Dollar equals - 8,930.07 Canadian = not too far off prices.
    Also depends on whats currently going on, prices are fuckin whacked out for some pins.

Ah that makes sense! Im within an hour of Toronto so that would definitely make a difference.

I'm still trying to figure out the inconsistencies and why some things are whack!

Oh well! I'll do a best guess and hope i don't get flamed too hard when I price my pin out.

Thanks for the insight! I appreciate it.

#4137 1 year ago
    Quoted from Waffles:

Ah that makes sense! Im within an hour of Toronto so that would definitely make a difference.
    I'm still trying to figure out the inconsistencies and why some things are whack!
    Oh well! I'll do a best guess and hope i don't get flamed too hard when I price my pin out.
    Thanks for the insight! I appreciate it.

I'm sure you'll get a local to chime in and help out. good luck.

#4138 1 year ago

It depends on the pin in this area. There has been a great condition and good price Spider-Man for sale on Kijiji for a very long time with no movement the guy has dropped the price 2X already. There are just a few people that buy, and don’t pay Pinside prices! Most are people here are tire kickers and have the wife won’t let me excuse, or I’d buy it if you were just a little closer, I don’t have a way to pick it up. You will see them on Pinside!

#4139 1 year ago
    Quoted from Waffles:

Prices are generally a little higher in Canada due to a smaller market, sparse population and higher taxes. A good chunk of Americans pay no tax or shipping on a new Stern, we pay 13% + shipping unless you are close to one of the whole 3 cities with distributors.

I find Pinside US listed prices a bit off reality also. If you look on PinRev at the last 3-4 games listed that you were trying to sell it will give you a good idea. If you see a game listed for $8000 and not selling you know you should got $7000-7500.

#4140 1 year ago
    Quoted from kool1:

Prices are generally a little higher in Canada due to a smaller market, sparse population and higher taxes. A good chunk of Americans pay no tax or shipping on a new Stern, we pay 13% + shipping unless you are close to one of the whole 3 cities with distributors.
    I find Pinside US listed prices a bit off reality also. If you look on PinRev at the last 3-4 games listed that you were trying to sell it will give you a good idea. If you see a game listed for $8000 and not selling you know you should got $7000-7500.

I think it runs a little deeper that that, the market is a little more complicated than that here. It tends to follow US prices except that it gets caught up after there is a reality check on our side. We are slower to respond to it because there are less transactions happening in it and as much as we try to mimic the US market, people are slow at pulling the trigger whether that is UP and/or DOWN, for example, Indiana Jones never sold for $20K CAD like it was selling in the states 5 months ago, neither is Godzilla LE with some still around as of recently selling at MSRP and the list goes on.

#4141 1 year ago
    Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

I think it runs a little deeper that that, the market is a little more complicated than that here. It tends to follow US prices except that it gets caught up after there is a reality check on our side. We are slower to respond to it because there are less transactions happening in it and as much as we try to mimic the US market, people are slow at pulling the trigger whether that is UP and/or DOWN, for example, Indiana Jones never sold for $20K CAD like it was selling in the states 5 months ago, neither is Godzilla LE with some still around as of recently selling at MSRP and the list goes on.

Agree. Expensive higher end and LE pins can actually go for less here than in the US for the same reasons (and fewer people with mad money). Definitely have not seen Indiana Jones for near $20K.

#4142 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zartan:

It depends on the pin in this area. There has been a great condition and good price Spider-Man for sale on Kijiji for a very long time with no movement the guy has dropped the price 2X already.

Yeah I keep looking at that one and that's definitely one that has made me fear trying to sell lately since I thought that spiderman was a very sought after machine!

Bram Stokers Dracula is the machine I'm contemplating moving and I feel like that will have less of a pull than spiderman?

Quoted from kool1:

I need to check our pin rev! I heard about it once when i first got into the hobby but totally forgot it existed haha.

I can't afford premium titles but the info is still useful, it's crazy that premium titles are cheaper here and everything else is more expensive.

Thanks for all the responses guys! It's super appreciated.

#4143 1 year ago
    Quoted from Waffles:

Yeah I keep looking at that one and that's definitely one that has made me fear trying to sell lately since I thought that spiderman was a very sought after machine!
    Bram Stokers Dracula is the machine I'm contemplating moving and I feel like that will have less of a pull than spiderman?

I need to check our pin rev! I heard about it once when i first got into the hobby but totally forgot it existed haha.
    I can't afford premium titles but the info is still useful, it's crazy that premium titles are cheaper here and everything else is more expensive.
    Thanks for all the responses guys! It's super appreciated.

Probably $7-8k CDN is the selling price you will probably get. Depends on any mods or upgrades and condition. Can fluctuate 1-2k depending on condition, etc.

#4144 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Probably $7-8k CDN is the selling price you will probably get. Depends on any mods or upgrades and condition. Can fluctuate 1-2k depending on condition, etc.

That a big range.
    I think fair price for any of those dmds is $7500 and gotta be mint. No?

#4145 1 year ago

That a big range.

I have sold DMD games (90s) over $10k, really depends on condition, demand and mods. If you have colordmd, pinstadium, pinsound, etc., it can add value to the right buyer. Really depends. Didn't someone just sell a Getaway for close to $10k?

#4146 1 year ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

That a big range.

I was thinking around 7500 from what I could see, so maybe I'm not crazy!

It's pretty clean, typical red fading on the sides but otherwise it looks great.

Since I've bought it, i haven't added much to it besides

Speaker lights
    Under cab lights
    Trough light

3d printed some of the symbols and painted them to go on top of the speaker grills and hung two bigger ones off the side.

Made a ghetto Topper but I kinda wanna keep it.

Quoted from pinballjah:

I have sold DMD games (90s) over $10k, really depends on condition, demand and mods. If you have colordmd, pinstadium, pinsound, etc., it can add value to the right buyer. Really depends. Didn't someone just sell a Getaway for close to $10k?

Wasn't that one fully shopped and loaded though?

#4147 1 year ago
    Quoted from Waffles:I was thinking around 7500 from what I could see, so maybe I'm not crazy!
    It's pretty clean, typical red fading on the sides but otherwise it looks great.
    Since I've bought it, i haven't added much to it besides
    Speaker lights
    Under cab lights
    Trough light
    3d printed some of the symbols and painted them to go on top of the speaker grills and hung two bigger ones off the side.
    Made a ghetto Topper but I kinda wanna keep it.

Wasn't that one fully shopped and loaded though?

lol, gateway 10k
    Facepalm galore!!

#4148 1 year ago

lol, gateway 10k
    Facepalm galore!!

For real!

#4149 1 year ago

Is it the BSD that was for sale on Kijiji in an apartment near Toronto?

#4150 1 year ago
    Quoted from Zartan:

Is it the BSD that was for sale on Kijiji in an apartment near Toronto?

Yeup! Bought it in April(?)

I got data east simpsons and find that it's oddly a very similar game.

I enjoy playing BSD but my wife and friends don't want to touch that game because it's so mean.

Was it your BSD?

There are 4,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 83 of 95.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/canadian-pinballers-thread-chat-here/page/83 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.