(Topic ID: 137778)

The Canadian Pinhead Thread. What's Up?!

By Jeekayjay

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,733 posts
  • 298 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 86 days ago by Deleenhe
  • Topic is favorited by 196 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0368 (resized).JPG
    20231031_105232.jpg
    20231031_105149.jpg
    20231031_105152.jpg
    20231031_105214.jpg
    20231031_105211.jpg
    20231031_105220.jpg
    20231031_105209.jpg
    20231031_105158.jpg
    20231031_105207.jpg
    20231031_110908.jpg
    IMG_5584 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-20231006-WA0010.jpg
    82eifj (resized).jpg
    IMG_0432 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0078 (resized).JPG
    There are 4,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 95.
    #3351 2 years ago
    Quoted from mac2444:

They emptied that arcade room that was to the right of security, those were the only ones I knew of there. Calgary permanently closed two of three arcades and the tiny one that's left is blocked off due to covid.

Where is the tiny one located in the Calgary Airport? I am flying through there over Christmas and have a lengthy layover on the return, if it is open that would help kill some time.

#3352 2 years ago
    Quoted from Anony:

Wow... not sure I'm ready to spend that much for it, but thanks. Good to know.

The other "brands" like invisiglass are even more expensive.. Probably way cheaper to find a glass place and have one custom made. I just don't know what anti-reflection process is best as there are a few different ones they offer.

I know for regular tempered it is cheaper. I paid around 60$ all in for a tempered widebody glass at the local glass place.

#3353 2 years ago

Nitro has a few brands of invisiglass

#3354 2 years ago
    Quoted from Smack:

I am flying through there over Christmas and have a lengthy layover

PM Dan and stay at his house .... best arcade ever!

#3355 2 years ago
    Quoted from Smack:

Where is the tiny one located in the Calgary Airport? I am flying through there over Christmas and have a lengthy layover on the return, if it is open that would help kill some time.

Can't remember if it's the "B" or "C" concourse, probably "B". It's past the burger king and Great Canadian Bagel. You keep walking towards the end of the concourse and it's on your right. Only three machines and I'm not sure they are going to reopen it, looks pretty forgotten. The machines are all owned by SML so their maintenance is usually awful. Last time I put in a dollar, one flipper didn't work, pretty sad. About 5 years ago there were three different spots with about 12 machines total. There was usually at least one game that worked properly back then

#3356 2 years ago

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtdGjEaOJJqtdF9qcG1QcllRWlNYNWN2MHJUUXdaenc#gid=3

Not updated since 2016 for Calgary airport... one of you can update it if you are in the area

#3357 2 years ago
    Quoted from Anony:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AtdGjEaOJJqtdF9qcG1QcllRWlNYNWN2MHJUUXdaenc#gid=3
    Not updated since 2016 for Calgary airport... one of you can update it if you are in the area

Pinball map is up to date. Just the three machines listed there, none currently operational.

#3358 2 years ago
    Quoted from transprtr4u:

PM Dan and stay at his house .... best arcade ever!

Lol, it is only a 4 hour layover. I think Dan and I have a mutual friend here in Victoria so I would be into it, my wife not so much. "Looks like we missed our flight, no biggie we don't go back to work till Monday"

Thanks for the info re the airport. If that little arcade opens back up hopefully they get some servicing as well. I think I played that IJ (Stern) about 5 years ago at YYC. At the time there was basically 0 public pinball in Victoria and I was stoked to be able to play anything!

#3359 2 years ago
    Quoted from Anony:

Does anyone know a source in Canada for anti-glare pinball glass? I'm in Ontario so in the GTA would be best.

Tommy at Nitro used to sell Roman glass, the best of the best. I doubt it costs more than the expensive stern variety, that is, if he can still get it.

He had a sale a few years ago. I only bought t two sheets. Worst pinball decision of my life! Lol.

#3360 2 years ago

The new voodoo glass is pretty much the same damn thing.

Saw several sheets in some games last week and it’s nice.

I just ordered 6 sheets.

#3361 2 years ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

The new voodoo glass is pretty much the same damn thing.
    Saw several sheets in some games last week and it’s nice.
    I just ordered 6 sheets.

Cool, are the edges machined like Roman?

#3362 2 years ago

I don’t know. It was in a machine.

I’m gonna pick up some sheets next week when Tommy’s back from expo.

#3363 2 years ago

FINALLY. SINGLE GAME BETTING IN CANADA!!!!!!!!!!

I've been gambling with sport select since I was 13 years old and finally they have single game bets like online and Vegas offers. Haven't fully checked it out yet but so excited to be able to throw $20 on a game without using a online book.

#3364 2 years ago

Is there anyone in Canada who sells Titan rubbers? I just wanted to order a few to give them a try and the shipping is 3 times the cost of the rubbers.

#3365 2 years ago
    Quoted from Anony:

Canada who sells Titan rubbers?

reach out to #stretch7

or the Yegpin people

#3366 2 years ago

We would love to bring in some Titan Rubbers into the arcade I have been hesitant as we have to buy a lot of rubbers to make it worthwhile to do but at the same time do not want a ton of stock just sitting there like our LED's at the moment. So at this time we haven't bought any in but if there is a demand then we would order and be able to ship them within Canada.

Quoted from transprtr4u:

reach out to #stretch7
    or the Yegpin people

#3367 2 years ago

It would be awesome if there was Canadian source for titan rubbers and not have to wait for black Friday to get any kind of discount. That and to avoid the crazy shipping charges

#3368 2 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

It would be awesome if there was Canadian source for titan rubbers and not have to wait for black Friday to get any kind of discount. That and to avoid the crazy shipping charges

I've had a bunch of titans. They don't really hold up great, but they do have a nice array of colors and options.
    I put some superbands on posts ands flippers, those things last forever! Different feel though

#3369 2 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

I've had a bunch of titans. They don't really hold up great, but they do have a nice array of colors and options.
    I put some superbands on posts ands flippers, those things last forever! Different feel though

Yeah they do wear out quicker then superbands. Some of the best scores I've ever put on games had titan flippers. More grippy and less bouncy I find

#3370 2 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Yeah they do wear out quicker then superbands. Some of the best scores I've ever put on games had titan flippers. More grippy and less bouncy I find

I like the old school bounce. Feels like 1995 all over again!

#3371 2 years ago
    Quoted from Anony:

Is there anyone in Canada who sells Titan rubbers? I just wanted to order a few to give them a try and the shipping is 3 times the cost of the rubbers.

Read this. Ship to your free US address and $7Cdn to get the package to Mississauga.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shipping-to-canada-try-shippsy-located-in-ontario-bc

#3372 2 years ago

In my experience, Superbands are way more grippy and less bounce, I can drop catch like a madman with those on. I never use them for flipper rubber, you are right thou that the Titans will wear and break faster for sure we have seen that at the arcade. For me Titan's are the only way to go for competition as they react the most like regular flipper and you get the benefit of a silicone rubber that cleans easy. If you want your machine to play a little easier, and be a little more durable then stick with the superbands, they are good product I just like more bounce on my games.

Quoted from dirkdiggler:

#3373 2 years ago

I used Titans early on as they were the first I discovered. I do find they sometimes break down quickly, like one day they will just crumble. Its not all of them or anything but just at random one will fall apart. These days I really like Pinball Life's stuff, they seem more durable and are much cheaper especially when you're buying lots of little stuff. Also you don't have to make a second order and pay that extra shipping.

#3374 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinballjah:

Read this. Ship to your free US address and $7Cdn to get the package to Mississauga.
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/shipping-to-canada-try-shippsy-located-in-ontario-bc

What the hell does getting parts to Mississauga or BC help out anyone in between? Or does this outfit mail it to me from Mississauga or BC?

edit- thought it was general reference, see this guy is Mississauga

#3375 2 years ago

What the hell does getting parts to Mississauga or BC help out anyone in between? Or does this outfit mail it to me from Mississauga or BC?
    edit- thought it was general reference, see this guy is Mississauga

They will also forward your item once it arrives in Canada. Not sure what they charge for that? Depending on the item, likely still cheaper than mailing straight from the US.

#3376 2 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

do not want a ton of stock just sitting there like our LED's at the moment.

Sounds like i better order some spare bulbs! Order incoming!

#3377 2 years ago

Another example of this great community of pinheads.

Big shoutout to nightsearcher for helping me change a fuel filter yesterday and a hour of pins. Wish I had more time to chat and play.

#3378 2 years ago

fuel filter ! must be some kind of new pinball machine ! lol

#3379 2 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Another example of this great community of pinheads.
    Big shoutout to nightsearcher for helping me change a fuel filter yesterday and a hour of pins. Wish I had more time to chat and play.

I'd be driving to Grant's house weekly with car problems if i got to go play his pins while he's out there fixing my car! Well played Jay!

#3380 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

I'd be driving to Grant's house weekly with car problems if i got to go play his pins while he's out there fixing my car! Well played Jay!

Damn, now my secrets out. Lol.
    I invited him out to shoot pool and try out HRC today. Least I could do. Shop would probably charge me $150 to change it

#3381 2 years ago

For any people who have travelled with pinball parts, is taking new pinballs in your carry on a bad idea? Seems like it could be problematic.

I am visiting family in the USA over Xmas and was thinking about bringing a few things back if I can save on shipping. Has anyone travelled with pinballs as carry on?

#3382 2 years ago
    Quoted from Smack:

For any people who have travelled with pinball parts, is taking new pinballs in your carry on a bad idea? Seems like it could be problematic.
    I am visiting family in the USA over Xmas and was thinking about bringing a few things back if I can save on shipping. Has anyone travelled with pinballs as carry on?

I bring back SHITLOADS of parts in my baggage and I bring home pinballs.

#3383 2 years ago

I bring back SHITLOADS of parts in my baggage and I bring home pinballs.

That sounds like a lot of parts

But do you take them as Carry On luggage? I am not planning on checking a bag otherwise I would not be too concerned to put them in my checked luggage.

#3384 2 years ago
    Quoted from Smack:

Putting parts in your carry on is asking for trouble, you might get away with but do yourself a favour and check the bag with the parts in it. Posted at the same time but I thought you might not be checking a bag.

#3385 2 years ago
    Quoted from Darscot:

Putting parts in your carry on is asking for trouble, you might get away with but do yourself a favour and check the bag with the parts in it. Posted at the same time but I thought you might not be checking a bag.

That is kind of my thought as well. I don't think I need to welcome any additional complications with travel these days.

And the cost of checking a bag is basically shipping

#3386 2 years ago
    Quoted from Smack:

That sounds like a lot of parts
    But do you take them as Carry On luggage? I am not planning on checking a bag otherwise I would not be too concerned to put them in my checked luggage.

1/2 and 1/2 - I usually have my golf bag. So I fit what I can until it hits 50 lbs. Then the rest in carry on, never had any problems

#3387 2 years ago

Thanks for the info northerndude and @darscot. Much appreciated.

#3388 2 years ago

Does anyone have a referral for a stair climbing dolly? I have 4 pins and a safe to move in January. My movers said they can move everything but my pins are current NIB purchases and I feel better moving them on my own.

Thanks.

#3389 2 years ago

Jordan in Vernon selling one.

#3390 2 years ago

I’m just looking to rent. Thank you

#3391 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinPickle:

I’m just looking to rent. Thank you

Probably do better to just buy and sell it when your done. You'll probably get away with it at even money.

#3392 2 years ago

Buy and resell - I don't know.....

They are pretty expensive toys.

I bought mine when I was in Toronto - best thing I ever bought. Saves your back and you can use it for all sorts of things. I use it helping friends move, hooking in new water heater, unloading trailer, moving furniture, and a bunch of other stuff.

But if you have pins that you move they are soooo worth it.

Mine's a PowerMate and they are out of Brantford.

#3393 2 years ago
    Quoted from Smack:

I've not had any problems.

#3394 2 years ago

I have brought parts in carry-on before, and never been an issue once I explain what they are.

Quoted from Smack:

#3395 2 years ago
    Quoted from Smack:

I would call the border, ask them. Make sure you get their name or badge number.

#3396 2 years ago

Thanks for the recommendation on buy and sell. I’m not confident it will be a wash reselling. I will have a look on Kijiji.

#3397 2 years ago

Anyone know where I can get some alligator clips in a 2m/6’ length?

#3398 2 years ago

Damn, those are some big alligator clips!

#3399 2 years ago
    Quoted from Hammerhead:

Damn, those are some big alligator clips!

Hes got use for them!

Screenshot_20211112-105801_Google (resized).jpgScreenshot_20211112-105801_Google (resized).jpg
    #3400 2 years ago

Lol they to clip polks to existing subs, some of us need a bit of extra length know what I mean

There are 4,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 95.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/canadian-pinballers-thread-chat-here/page/68?hl=pkrobin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.