(Topic ID: 137778)

The Canadian Pinhead Thread. What's Up?!

By Jeekayjay

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,733 posts
  • 298 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 85 days ago by Deleenhe
  • Topic is favorited by 196 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0368 (resized).JPG
    20231031_105232.jpg
    20231031_105149.jpg
    20231031_105152.jpg
    20231031_105214.jpg
    20231031_105211.jpg
    20231031_105220.jpg
    20231031_105209.jpg
    20231031_105158.jpg
    20231031_105207.jpg
    20231031_110908.jpg
    IMG_5584 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-20231006-WA0010.jpg
    82eifj (resized).jpg
    IMG_0432 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0078 (resized).JPG
    There are 4,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 95.
    #3151 3 years ago
    Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

Just curious to know where do you guys get your pinballs? Need to buy some and would like to buy a bunch.

Lots of stuff here. Great prices and Ontario-based as well.

https://pinballleds.ca

#3152 3 years ago

I've always bought from https://pinballmedics.ca/ when I can.
    Mike is a good dude and he brings stuff up from the US regularly.

He's also based out of Ottawa...

Where are the Ottawa pinheads?
    Just curious to know where do you guys get your pinballs? Need to buy some and would like to buy a bunch.
    All my games have magnets.
    Maybe we can do a group buy?
    Pinballs are nothing more than 1 1/6 ball bearings soooo why are we paying the middle man?
    Let mw know if some of you in Ottawa want to get together and organize a group buy: find a source, negotiate a price and purchase in bulk.
    I would be interested in purchasing 300+ balls for myself.

#3153 3 years ago
    Quoted from aeonblack:

pffft, in the audiophile world that's damn near entry level! lol
    Unfortunately I think you're stuck paying the duties, but if you do it as a shipment through your business, you could just reimburse the company from your personal money and that makes it clear on the books. AFAIK you really can only save on PST, so I would do a direct shipment given the value.
    Maybe someone else has some other advice, but short of getting free shipping to one of those places on the border that holds it for you, then driving and picking it up yourself, I don't know if there is another option. If you do that, you definitely run the risk of a border guard not wanting to allow you to declare it as a business thing, whereas if it's shipping to a business they can't really argue if you say "my business wanted to new speakers, so we bought nice ones".

Yeah I’m stuck regardless. I will try and save the PST. If the border as open I would ship to my mailbox in Buffalo but that’s not happening anytime soon. Thought I would ask anyways.

Thanks

1 week later
    #3154 3 years ago

Working on a plug and play fix for the annoying sound board hum produced on all Data East pins. (Not the DMD or Flasher hum, but the other persistent one). Prototypes are built and starting to get into the hands of locals in the Calgary Area. Idea behind this is simple, it should take longer to open up the game than to install. And it should be an easy improvement that keeps the game as original as possible without hacking wires or adding extra dedicated power supplies. Thought id share.

814DDB82-F829-4C06-8542-9E0993AE5C62 (resized).jpeg814DDB82-F829-4C06-8542-9E0993AE5C62 (resized).jpeg

DBE3AC39-BCF3-470E-BCE3-E0021836D6B7 (resized).jpegDBE3AC39-BCF3-470E-BCE3-E0021836D6B7 (resized).jpegE3DC57C4-2454-4BB3-A00F-ACA121D832EA (resized).jpegE3DC57C4-2454-4BB3-A00F-ACA121D832EA (resized).jpeg
    #3155 3 years ago
    Quoted from ChanceKJ:

Working on a plug and play fix for the annoying sound board hum produced on all Data East pins. (Not the DMD or Flasher hum, but the other persistent one). Prototypes are built and starting to get into the hands of locals in the Calgary Area. Idea behind this is simple, it should take longer to open up the game than to install. And it should be an easy improvement that keeps the game as original as possible without hacking wires or adding extra dedicated power supplies. Thought id share.
    [quoted image]
    [quoted image][quoted image]

love this, so what does it do exactly? handles the load on the sound board? filters?... tell us all the nerdy stuff... ok ok, tell ME all the nerdy stuff, lol.

#3156 3 years ago
    Quoted from ChanceKJ:

[quoted image]

Cool mod!

#3157 3 years ago

I'll want at least one....my Star Wars hums real good.

#3158 3 years ago

Great going guys!

1 month later
    #3159 2 years ago

Just out of curiosity, did any Canadians order the new fathom?

#3160 2 years ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Just out of curiosity, did any Canadians order the new fathom?

Given the discussion on that thread I’d say yes. Haggis is looking into shipping a bunch direct to Canada(probably Nitro).

#3161 2 years ago

That is good news if they pull it off, that would probably force me to pull the trigger on one of the last ones.

Quoted from MrMikeman:

Given the discussion on that thread I’d say yes. Haggis is looking into shipping a bunch direct to Canada(probably Nitro).

#3162 2 years ago

I bought a box of balls from ebay.com link: usr

Reasonable prices

#3163 2 years ago

They are excellent balls, these will also be available locally in the Edmonton area at Arkadium Retro Arcade, our bulk shipment is coming in next week. We will have Polaris and Ninja balls available to purchase in singles and six packs, we can also sell them in bulk if you require a bigger volume amount.

Quoted from dr_nybble:

I bought a box of balls from ebay.com link: usr
    Reasonable prices

#3164 2 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

available locally in the Edmonton area

love the expansion ... go guys go...
    soon you will be building complete machines !

#3165 2 years ago

So many people were asking for local options pinballs and LED’s so we felt compelled to source some for our community. If there are other things you want to purchase locally let us know and we will look trying to source some more stuff for collectors. Since we can’t actually play games right now we sell some parts to keep the place alive help out our local collector community.

Quoted from transprtr4u:

love the expansion ... go guys go...
    soon you will be building complete machines !

#3166 2 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

So many people were asking for local options

Added a whole bunch of tags on Gilles name... please let me add Marco North
    Great to hear and wishing you success now and when the arcade reopens

#3167 2 years ago
    Quoted from MrMikeman:

Now for sale on nitropinball.com

#3168 2 years ago

HA HA love it, but not even close

#3169 2 years ago

Wondering what is a good place to post a want to buy ad in Canada.

Looking to get a Rick and Morty off someone who ordered one but did not receive it yet.

Will also consider one with low plays.

#3170 2 years ago

Wondering what is a good place to post a want to buy ad in Canada.

Looking to get a Rick and Morty off someone who ordered one but did not receive it yet.

Will also consider one with low plays.

If looking to buy a machine, this thread is a good place to start: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-in-canada-have-any-pins-they-want-to-sell

1 week later
    #3171 2 years ago

Just wondering why people (us Canadians, lol) don't make more use of the 'Market' option on Pinside, instead of posting under the 'Anybody in Canada have any pins they want to sell' topic? It's a question I have, lol, not suggesting we all should.

It's just that the selling in Canada topic has just imploded a bit, lol. But regardless of that, I actually like searching for past sales on Pinside, having a sense of what is available by machine, the average selling prices, condition, etc.

The few times I used 'Market' worked out nicely. My only gripe would be to be able to advertise for parts or sell games in CAD if we wanted to (or for any currency for that matter). For example, a specific USD value for the american market doesn't register the same way in Canada, IMO.

Edited: Sorry, long post! Don't shoot the messenger!

#3172 2 years ago

I've never sold anything on the pinside market, but it's my understanding that they ask for a fee from transactions, and people generally don't want to pay it (which is why you see things listed as having not sold so often, if it doesn't sell, you don't pay a fee and people are cheap af). In general, I'd say it's easy enough to just say "hey i'm selling this" and have people message you and you work out the details, since most of the time people are going to want to see more pictures and want more information anyways.

#3173 2 years ago
    Quoted from aeonblack:

I've never sold anything on the pinside market, but it's my understanding that they ask for a fee from transactions, and people generally don't want to pay it (which is why you see things listed as having not sold so often, if it doesn't sell, you don't pay a fee and people are cheap af). In general, I'd say it's easy enough to just say "hey i'm selling this" and have people message you and you work out the details, since most of the time people are going to want to see more pictures and want more information anyways.

Ok tks, I didn't know about the fees. I just checked, selling some LE game is $50 if the game gets sold off from Pinside. That's not much on a $10k+ transaction. Selling an older title is $10. It's certainly an option since you can post pics, answer questions in the form of a topic, ads can be searched, etc.

Edited: I wouldn't say 'Market' is the way to go but it seems to keep emotions out of the way, lol, so to speak. Especially after seeing all the chit-chat on our Canadian seller's topic since last night!

#3174 2 years ago

I bought a game from pinside TSPP, and just got a JP Premium BNIB from the US for a fraction of the cost in Canada.

There’s a way to save a couple thousand.

Added over 3 years ago:

A fraction of the price is the wrong choice of words but I did save a lot.

#3175 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinPickle:

I bought a game from pinside TSPP, and just got a JP Premium BNIB from the US for a fraction of the cost in Canada.

Added 3 days ago: A fraction of the price is the wrong choice of words but I did save a lot.

Can you find me a distributor on the other side of the border with a new IM coming in this summer? Thanks.

#3176 2 years ago

Funny that you can get NIB for way cheaper as even with my IFPA discount pricing, it is still more advantageous to use my distributor here in Canada. Between the shipping, exchange (even with current exchange) customs and brokerage for a pro my distributor is still close enough it isn’t worth the hassle.

Quoted from PinPickle:

Added 4 days ago: A fraction of the price is the wrong choice of words but I did save a lot.

#3177 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinPickle:

Added 4 days ago:
    A fraction of the price is the wrong choice of words but I did save a lot.

Quoted from pins4life33:

Funny that you can get NIB for way cheaper as even with my IFPA discount pricing, it is still more advantageous to use my distributor here in Canada. Between the shipping, exchange (even with current exchange) customs and brokerage for a pro my distributor is still close enough it isn’t worth the hassle.

Yeah, I get grabbing a TSPP from the US and saving a ton of cash. For some reason people are asking for and getting insane prices for them up here. A lot of US sellers aren't interested in shipping though, and those that are might not be into international shipping, but it is possible to find good deals.

On NIB, not sure how the savings kick in. I used to bring up NIB when US dealers were able to go significantly below MSRP, but now maybe you would be able to save a couple of hundred. The only way I figure you could save significant cash is if the only NIB you can find in Canada are ones where you have to pay in CDN where the exchange rate was baked in several months ago vs what the exchange rate is now.

PinPickle, would be very interested in what savings you got on the NIB and how you got them, PM me if you are not comfortable relating the details in the thread.

#3178 2 years ago
    Quoted from ChanceKJ:

[quoted image]

Check pm

#3179 2 years ago
    Quoted from Ponzie:

I've always bought from https://pinballmedics.ca/ when I can.
    Mike is a good dude and he brings stuff up from the US regularly.
    He's also based out of Ottawa...

just received another order from mike. Super quick

Happy customer

#3180 2 years ago

Totally off topic but not sure where to ask without starting a new thread and I know a few of you are in law enforcement so here's my question.

Are assault rifles not illegal up here in Canada? Are law enforcement allowed to have/use them? Was walking the dog the other day and went by the cop shop and a cop came out with two fully automatic machine guns going to his truck. Both me and the wife were like wtf? Those clips defiently stood out as something I've never seen in person. First thought that maybe they were confiscated but he looked at ease walking with them. Maybe showing them off to his co-workers? Again I have no idea but was definitely freaky to see. Thanks

#3181 2 years ago

Yes they are illegal. They make some 12guage riffles to appear like automatic firearms and even those are band. You can still own them (for now) but can’t use them anywhere.

Not sure why a cop would have them.

#3182 2 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Totally off topic but not sure where to ask without starting a new thread and I know a few of you are in law enforcement so here's my question.
    Are assault rifles not illegal up here in Canada? Are law enforcement allowed to have/use them? Was walking the dog the other day and went by the cop shop and a cop came out with two fully automatic machine guns going to his truck. Both me and the wife were like wtf? Those clips defiently stood out as something I've never seen in person. First thought that maybe they were confiscated but he looked at ease walking with them. Maybe showing them off to his co-workers? Again I have no idea but was definitely freaky to see. Thanks

Last May the Federal Government added a bunch of Assault Rifles (including AR-15's) to the list of Prohibited weapons. You are correct about assault rifles being banned, but those rules only apply to civilians, not the Canadian military or law enforcement.
    https://www.rcmp-grc.gc.ca/en/firearms/need-know-the-government-canadas-new-prohibition-certain-firearms-and-devices

#3183 2 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I would contact local police, and enquire about this by indicating where it happened, when, etc.

There could be many reasons why the officer was carrying such weapons, but at the very least there's a way to transport firearms. No harm in going the extra mile and doing a bit of due diligence in this case, IMO.

#3184 2 years ago

He had them at the police dept. Not sure why someone carrying a couple of rifles would be an issue? Guns are just another tool.

#3185 2 years ago

Full auto machine guns, lol.

#3186 2 years ago
    Quoted from rwmech5:

He had them at the police dept. Not sure why someone carrying a couple of rifles would be an issue? Guns are just another tool.

I agree that guns can be seen as a tool but, putting the gun-regulation/restriction debate aside, the idea that a gun is "just another tool" ignores the fact that they have a very specific purpose and are not just a general-use type of item.

#3187 2 years ago

I agree they have a specific purpose just like 95% of all the other tools in my truck. Anything can be used to harm if used that way. No responsible, sane firearm owner would ever use their gun to harm another person.

#3188 2 years ago
    Quoted from ImNotNorm:

Full auto machine guns, lol.

AR-15’s are semi auto, I’m guessing they were not carrying fully automatic rifles.

#3189 2 years ago
    Quoted from Indusguys:

AR-15’s are semi auto, I’m guessing they were not carrying fully automatic rifles.

That's why I laughed.

#3190 2 years ago
    Quoted from rwmech5:

Anything can be used to harm if used that way.

What do you think guns were DESIGNED to do though? I understand I can stab someone with a screwdriver or bash someone's head in with a hammer but guns exist specifically to harm and are quite efficient at it. I totally understand that plenty of people use guns as a toy (responsibly) and frankly they are fun to play with but it doesn't change the fact that using a gun for its INTENDED PURPOSE is the concern a lot of people have with it.

I don't really want to get into a gun regulation/restriction debate or anything, I just wanted to point out that a gun isn't just some normal "tool" that some people have perverted into something harmful.

#3191 2 years ago

Semi auto, fully auto .does it matter? Sorry I'm not a gun nut. Some lowly rcmp officer has guns with clips in it. I've been around 40+ years, involved in two riots and the cops never had machine guns or semi automatic rifles. Just thought it was strange and wondering what the laws were about carrying these guns, that's all.

Quoted from Indusguys:

Quoted from ImNotNorm:

That's why I laughed.

#3192 2 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Semi auto, fully auto .does it matter? Sorry I'm not a gun nut. Some lowly rcmp officer has guns with clips in it. I've been around 40+ years, involved in two riots and the cops never had machine guns or semi automatic rifles. Just thought it was strange and wondering what the laws were about carrying these guns, that's all.

How could you tell they were full-auto? Very unlikely to be case. No law enforcement agency is going to deploy full-auto firearms. I've seen the tactical team in Calgary deploy into a quiet neighborhood from their scary armored transport with some pretty extreme looking firearms.

#3193 2 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Semi auto, fully auto .does it matter?

Yes. That was the whole crux of your initial post. Lol

#3194 2 years ago

I can imagine the distinction between fully auto and semi-auto becomes a bit more clear when you are being shot at...

#3195 2 years ago

For civilians, assault rifles have been banned since the 70's. The more recent assault weapons ban had a couple aggressive looking small gauge semi auto weapons on it but no actual automatic assault rifles.

If certain police units have automatic weapons i wouldnt know and wouldn't really mind as long as training and control are sufficient.

#3196 2 years ago
    Quoted from pkrobin:

For civilians, assault rifles have been banned since the 70's. The more recent assault weapons ban had a couple aggressive looking small gauge semi auto weapons on it but no actual automatic assault rifles.

Kinda... the ones that were banned recently use the exact same gauge as an AR—15. The issue with the public owning a carbine type firearm is that it’s very easy and legal to purchase mods to convert it into a fully automatic. There is also a mag limit restriction in Canada that limits the number of cartridges in the mag but you can easily buy a double capacity mag in the U.S. and or modify a Canadian one that has a mag limiter in it.

#3197 2 years ago

Welcome to the pinside gun club

#3198 2 years ago

OK, I will steer this back on topic. Legit question: How is it that a pinball machine has not been used to smuggle guns across the border? Seems like the perfect Trojan horse to smuggle all sorts of goodies!

#3199 2 years ago
    Quoted from klr650:

OK, I will steer this back on topic. Legit question: How is it that a pinball machine has not been used to smuggle guns across the border? Seems like the perfect Trojan horse to smuggle all sorts of goodies!

Border Guard: "Anything to Declare?"

Pinhead: "Yes, Big Guns"

#3200 2 years ago

In reference to what guns are “designed “ to do they are actually a tool to hunt with and put food on your families table. Hunters and responsible gun owners do not consider them “toys that are fun to play with”. Hunters are a huge part in the funding of conservation projects and keeping animal populations in good health. There are also clubs for recreational target shooting no different then our pinball clubs. The same type of people that would stab you with a screwdriver or bash you with a hammer are the same ones that are misusing guns for the purpose they are unintended for. These are the people that give responsible gun owners a bad name.

There are 4,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 95.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/canadian-pinballers-thread-chat-here/page/64?hl=wolv3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.