(Topic ID: 137778)

The Canadian Pinhead Thread. What's Up?!

By Jeekayjay

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,733 posts
  • 298 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 86 days ago by Deleenhe
  • Topic is favorited by 196 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0368 (resized).JPG
    20231031_105232.jpg
    20231031_105149.jpg
    20231031_105152.jpg
    20231031_105214.jpg
    20231031_105211.jpg
    20231031_105220.jpg
    20231031_105209.jpg
    20231031_105158.jpg
    20231031_105207.jpg
    20231031_110908.jpg
    IMG_5584 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-20231006-WA0010.jpg
    82eifj (resized).jpg
    IMG_0432 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0078 (resized).JPG
    There are 4,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 60 of 95.
    #2951 3 years ago
    Quoted from Ponzie:

With a (hopefully soon?) NIB JP Premium and GnR LE on the way, I agree that you’d really like it to just “work” out of the box.
    Fully expect that something may have come loose or fallen off (thinking cables/connectors) under the playfield but I will happily take a few days of delay on delivery of a new machine for a manufacturer to put a game through the paces to test things out before shipping.
    The “fresh out of the box” experience is an important one for every company that ships a physical product so I’m sure JJP and others want to nail that.
    With respect to different coil strength/ flipper strength, I kinda think of it like the uniqueness of different major league ball parks... Every machine is going to be a bit unique and feel different...and that’s ok.
    Maybe that’s a JJP design choice for “feel”?
    Or maybe I’m just too lazy to change some coils... (Entirely possible)
    Either way, appreciate the discussion here!

Can you tweak the coil strength like I can in my R&M?
    Every coil can be told to be weaker or stronger on it. Maybe that’s a board thing

#2952 3 years ago

Yes, you can but on JJP they only go so far, I have all coils maxed in GNR for Flippers, Slings and Pop Bumpers, it plays descent but nothing like a Stern, AP or Spooky on non maxed settings. In fact on AP some people have to dial them down with is way better then too weak.

Quoted from northerndude:

Can you tweak the coil strength like I can in my R&M?
    Every coil can be told to be weaker or stronger on it. Maybe that’s a board thing

#2953 3 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

Yes, you can but on JJP they only go so far, I have all coils maxed in GNR for Flippers, Slings and Pop Bumpers, it plays descent but nothing like a Stern, AP or Spooky on non maxed settings. In fact on AP some people have to dial them down with is way better then too weak.

How do the coils compare to their JJP Pirates?

#2954 3 years ago

We had our stream of GNR last night. Had a ton of different players play the game so gives you some variety in gameplay.

Our competition adjustments:

2 Sec Ball Save
    All multiball timers reduced to lowest setting.
    Albums completion reduced from 3min to 2min
    No add a balls
    All coils on max for flippers, slings and pop bumpers

The game plays fairly tough now, I think we have pretty well dialed it in.

I have to say it is one of the best machines I have ever played when it come to theme immersion, fun shots, music, sounds, overall art package, amazing light shows and wow factor.

Where the game still lacks is in quality of components our rubbers are toast after about 500 plays, all flipper rubber, and sling rubbers are destroyed. We had to make adjustments to the right flipper before we even flipped the game and the top flipper now need work on it. We have our IMDN that we have had for 10,000 plays and have never changed flipper rubber or make any mechanical adjustments so not sure who they are getting their stuff from but it sucks. The coils need more power, sorry but the slings as laughable and boring and you shouldn’t have to max out every coil on the game to make it enjoyable to shoot. Some of the rules and scoring choices hopefully will be improved, like to see more reward for a six ball multiball, the overall concept of the risk/reward song collect is cool but imagine if they stole one out of the AC/DC playbook and had a Physical Gun to load the ball in and you had to shoot in the centre for you collect or to press you luck on the Jackpot that would have been cool. I am not a fan of JJP low scoring it is probably just a mental thing but it makes some games so unsatisfying for the player.

Overall this stuff it knitpicking, the game will go down as one of the best ever in my opinion. Just for the sheer playability, every person that played last night walked away with a smile on their face and really that is what pinball is all about.

Good on you JJP, fir finally delivering a game that I can really get into from you guys. Not to say the others weren’t fun but GNR simply blows me away.

The full stream without commentary is on our Twitch channel diehardpinball.

#2955 3 years ago

wow that sounds fun, maybe add a few 2x4's for extra joy

Quoted from pins4life33:

We had our stream of GNR last night. Had a ton of different players play the game so gives you some variety in gameplay.
    2 Sec Ball Save
    No add a balls

#2956 3 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

Overall this stuff it knitpicking, the game will go down as one of the best ever in my opinion. Just for the sheer playability, every person that played last night walked away with a smile on their face and really that is what pinball is all about.

Nice! Maybe I'll pick up a SE for the cafe in a year or so, let them get all the bugs worked out and code completed.

#2957 3 years ago

Txs for the write up Derek. Glad you guys got it set up way you like it.

Still curious if stronger coils can be put in but I’m sure someone will experiment.

#2958 3 years ago

@bcrage88 great write up Derek, good to hear it holds up to your play level as well.
    I'm not too worried about getting mine now.

I know JJP games can have some extremely long ball times.
    At least they can be adjusted.

#2959 3 years ago

I am always interested in the opinions of these world class players. If it gets their approval then I know I will no issue with it. Shitty deal about the rubbers though.

I still think pingod should just get an le so I can have his ce though lol

#2960 3 years ago
    Quoted from algrande:

wow that sounds fun, maybe add a few 2x4's for extra joy

Hey Al, not everyone wants their WH20 scoop nerfed so a toddler could handle it.

#2961 3 years ago

They use some kind of silicone rubbers that are weak as hell. My DI goes through rubbers faster than working girl on a Friday night.

Hopefully they switch it up.

#2962 3 years ago

Poor Ken, You will never get my WH20, but you are welcome to come play anytime.

Quoted from Fytr:

Hey Al, not everyone wants their WH20 scoop nerfed so a toddler could handle it.

#2963 3 years ago

With the cool mods that are coming it for LE, pretty sure you will be able to dress it up like a CE anyway. The coma lock is the only difference and not a deal breaker for me at least.

Quoted from extraballingtmc:

I am always interested in the opinions of these world class players. If it gets their approval then I know I will no issue with it. Shitty deal about the rubbers though.
    I still think pingod should just get an le so I can have his ce though lol

#2964 3 years ago

Looks like Marcos is giving better shipping rates to Canadians, I just got an email. I haven’t ordered anything yet, but hopefully this is true!

#2965 3 years ago
    Quoted from Indusguys:

Looks like Marcos is giving better shipping rates to Canadians, I just got an email. I haven’t ordered anything yet, but hopefully this is true!

Whaaaaaaa!???? Holy, maybe I can make an order!

#2966 3 years ago

yah i have done it... ITS AWESOME! and fast... finally

OHH and no surprise fees after!

#2967 3 years ago

Got the same email today. I was wondering about surprise fees, I will try out an order soon I'm sure

#2968 3 years ago
    Quoted from toasterman04:

yah i have done it... ITS AWESOME! and fast... finally
    OHH and no surprise fees after!

For real? How much was it? This is like Christmas at halloween!

#2969 3 years ago

I have ordered from Marco recently.
    If you pre pay the taxes, there is nothing else to pay.

#2970 3 years ago
    Quoted from pingod:

I have ordered from Marco recently.
    If you pre pay the taxes, there is nothing else to pay.

Do you mean by going to CBSA with the receipt to pay taxes BEFORE the parts get delivered to your home address?

#2971 3 years ago
    Quoted from Saltimbanco:

Do you mean by going to CBSA with the receipt to pay taxes BEFORE the parts get delivered to your home address?

You probably pay a brokerage fee for the order to cross pre-cleared shipment.

Sadly, there are a lot of rules of import/export to get around these fees that most dont know and therefore cannot take advantage.

#2972 3 years ago

Best to find/know a Yank who'll ship to you directly like Northerndude does. They get free shipping and just mail to you USPS at a fraction of cost.

#2973 3 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Best to find/know a Yank who'll ship to you directly like Northerndude does. They get free shipping and just mail to you USPS at a fraction of cost.

This guy! ⬆️⬆️

#2974 3 years ago

So how is the gnr le playfield holding up at arkadium?

#2975 3 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

This guy! ⬆️⬆️

I'll need to adopt myself a yank then! Should be fine as long as he's a Saints fan!

#2976 3 years ago
    Quoted from Saltimbanco:

You prepay them on Marco site.
    FedEx fees already paid up front.
    Nothing peeing on delivery.

#2977 3 years ago

I just got my Marcos order. Took 16 days which I'm sure is more related to Covid than anything else. I took their cheapest tracked option which was like $12 or something thereabouts. My only complaint is the tracking details were pretty vague so there would be 4 days between updates at times. Maybe next time I'll not even bother with tracking.

I didn't prepay fees and didn't get dinged. I suppose it's a gamble.

#2978 3 years ago

So how is the gnr le playfield holding up at arkadium?

I didn’t really look at playfield yet but will next time and let you know. But I think it was good as nothing jumped out at me. EFA51C16-C72E-4BCA-96CF-D4C9F40A53CD (resized).jpegEFA51C16-C72E-4BCA-96CF-D4C9F40A53CD (resized).jpegEFA1F7FB-24DE-4E33-A627-8BE98B21850C (resized).jpegEFA1F7FB-24DE-4E33-A627-8BE98B21850C (resized).jpegE531CE67-AF61-4486-8BA4-BBDAF23EE014 (resized).jpegE531CE67-AF61-4486-8BA4-BBDAF23EE014 (resized).jpegDB5429F2-66BB-4847-B3E5-FD302F9C94B1 (resized).jpegDB5429F2-66BB-4847-B3E5-FD302F9C94B1 (resized).jpegA40463C9-665E-4A96-AD57-29D1DDAFC0EB (resized).jpegA40463C9-665E-4A96-AD57-29D1DDAFC0EB (resized).jpeg990120FB-2158-4EAA-BD15-90361067B926 (resized).jpeg990120FB-2158-4EAA-BD15-90361067B926 (resized).jpeg97C31EE7-E9DD-4887-BD25-4E6BEC867B50 (resized).jpeg97C31EE7-E9DD-4887-BD25-4E6BEC867B50 (resized).jpeg6E158D2C-EED6-47E3-A5D2-49DBB3907BEF (resized).jpeg6E158D2C-EED6-47E3-A5D2-49DBB3907BEF (resized).jpeg0CB757E0-CF38-4432-9785-38EDE97C35CE (resized).jpeg0CB757E0-CF38-4432-9785-38EDE97C35CE (resized).jpeg
    Here are some pictures of the rubbers I changed today from not even a week of play and you will see where one broke off which may be a future problem as it was digging in the lane guide beside so I tried to adjust the travel so it does t dig in but unfortunately you can adjust too much as there is a hole under flipper and tried adjusting the lane guide but really can’t as they have through hole lane posts. They must from same supplier as spooky as the ones on Alice were bad to but last a bit longer. Also included of some rubbers that were missing even before Derek got to it lol. I also adjusted the magnet as it was a little high

#2979 3 years ago
    Quoted from Tranquilize:

For real? How much was it? This is like Christmas at halloween!

I think it was something like $35. Canadian.but on an order of $1200 that is awesome

#2980 3 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

2 Sec Ball Save
    No add a balls
    All coils on max for flippers, slings and pop bumpers
    The game plays fairly tough now, I think we have pretty well dialed it in.
    I have to say it is one of the best machines I have ever played when it come to theme immersion, fun shots, music, sounds, overall art package, amazing light shows and wow factor.
    Where the game still lacks is in quality of components our rubbers are toast after about 500 plays, all flipper rubber, and sling rubbers are destroyed. We had to make adjustments to the right flipper before we even flipped the game and the top flipper now need work on it. We have our IMDN that we have had for 10,000 plays and have never changed flipper rubber or make any mechanical adjustments so not sure who they are getting their stuff from but it sucks. The coils need more power, sorry but the slings as laughable and boring and you shouldn’t have to max out every coil on the game to make it enjoyable to shoot. Some of the rules and scoring choices hopefully will be improved, like to see more reward for a six ball multiball, the overall concept of the risk/reward song collect is cool but imagine if they stole one out of the AC/DC playbook and had a Physical Gun to load the ball in and you had to shoot in the centre for you collect or to press you luck on the Jackpot that would have been cool. I am not a fan of JJP low scoring it is probably just a mental thing but it makes some games so unsatisfying for the player.
    Good on you JJP, fir finally delivering a game that I can really get into from you guys. Not to say the others weren’t fun but GNR simply blows me away.
    The full stream without commentary is on our Twitch channel diehardpinball.

excellent review, TY Derek. With it not being a tounrey play a 4-5 seconds ball save would be nice vs 2 for us casual players coming in to play

#2981 3 years ago

There is effectively no ball save from the plunge, I am looking at putting it to 5 seconds as the feed from that can be pretty nasty and only using that setting for a potential future YEGPIN.

Quoted from TBatti:

excellent review, TY Derek. With it not being a tounrey play a 4-5 seconds ball save would be nice vs 2 for us casual players coming in to play

#2982 3 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

There is effectively no ball save from the plunge, I am looking at putting it to 5 seconds as the feed from that can be pretty nasty and only using that setting for a potential future YEGPIN.

You are mean Derek, lol.

#2983 3 years ago

So you’re saying yegpin is still alive...

#2984 3 years ago

"Potential future YEGPIN" I dunno does that sound promising, not to me it doesn't lol...

So you’re saying yegpin is still alive...

#2985 3 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

"Potential future YEGPIN" I dunno does that sound promising, not to me it doesn't lol...

It sure sounds like you've got a covid cure up your sleeve and YegPIN2021 is 100% guaranteed!

#2986 3 years ago

Well it’s not completely dead but 2021 not likely imo. Hopefully 2022 though

#2987 3 years ago

Well it’s not completely dead but 2021 not likely imo. Hopefully 2022 though

shitty for '21

#2988 3 years ago

I hope 2021. I'll have Monty Python done by then hopefully.

#2989 3 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

So you're saying there's a chance...

#2990 3 years ago

I haven’t given up yet, but the chances are slim at best for 2021 lol... No comment on 2022 it is way too far away to be thinking out that far.

Quoted from Fytr:

So you're saying there's a chance...

#2991 3 years ago

Yeah we all be sitting at home until summer 21 imo.

#2992 3 years ago

Yeah we all be sitting at home until summer 21 imo.

If that's the case, and they shut down my kids hockey this winter here. I'm gonna need a project pin!! Oooh wait, I have a beat up Gilligan I can go through!

#2993 3 years ago

They say alcohol and drug sales are up during the pandemic. I know I'm helping the stats. Lol

20201029_154457.jpg20201029_154457.jpg
    #2994 3 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

They say alcohol and drug sales are up during the pandemic. I know I'm helping the stats. Lol[quoted image]

Holy moly!!! Your ready for the apocalypse!

#2995 3 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

They say alcohol and drug sales are up during the pandemic. I know I'm helping the stats. Lol[quoted image]

Nothing says a Canadian like 12 bottles of Rye, and only 4 litres of coke to use as mix.

#2996 3 years ago
    Quoted from shaub:

It sure sounds like you've got a covid cure up your sleeve and YegPIN2021 is 100% guaranteed!

I wish that were true but hopefully 2022 will be the year for YEGPIN V. Maybe the US will have things under control so they can come out too.

#2997 3 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Nothing says Saskatchewan like 5 flats of Pil.

#2998 3 years ago
    Quoted from Apollyon:

Nothing says Saskatchewan like 5 flats of Pil.

gross, ha

#2999 3 years ago

With the amount of beer we go thru I can't afford to be a beer snob. Ha. Pil was cheapest this week. Too bad Costco doesn't have any liquor stores in Saskatchewan.

#3000 3 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

With the amount of beer we go thru I can't afford to be a beer snob. Ha. Pil was cheapest this week. Too bad Costco doesn't have any liquor stores in Saskatchewan.

Regina Costco has a liquor store. Not sure of stoon but I would think they do.

There are 4,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 60 of 95.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/canadian-pinballers-thread-chat-here/page/60?hl=pkrobin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.