(Topic ID: 137778)

The Canadian Pinhead Thread. What's Up?!

By Jeekayjay

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,733 posts
  • 298 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 85 days ago by Deleenhe
  • Topic is favorited by 196 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0368 (resized).JPG
    20231031_105232.jpg
    20231031_105149.jpg
    20231031_105152.jpg
    20231031_105214.jpg
    20231031_105211.jpg
    20231031_105220.jpg
    20231031_105209.jpg
    20231031_105158.jpg
    20231031_105207.jpg
    20231031_110908.jpg
    IMG_5584 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-20231006-WA0010.jpg
    82eifj (resized).jpg
    IMG_0432 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0078 (resized).JPG
    There are 4,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 95.
    #2751 4 years ago

Anyone bought and paid fro something to Steve Young at PBR?

How did you pay and what was the cheapest option to go buy an international money order? Post office, credit union? thoughts?
    I have an order all set up, just need to confirm with him first, and wanted to know what you guys have done?

#2752 4 years ago

I have used a bank draft in US funds from RBC. I have an account where the fees are waived. otherwise it is $8.50.

#2753 4 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

Anyone bought and paid fro something to Steve Young at PBR?
    How did you pay and what was the cheapest option to go buy an international money order? Post office, credit union? thoughts?
    I have an order all set up, just need to confirm with him first, and wanted to know what you guys have done?

I send him US cash. Never had a problem.

#2754 4 years ago

I just did the same and mailed it last week.

#2755 4 years ago

So far I've been lucky and always managed to find what I needed elsewhere. The whole mail me a check thing I find irritating, I hope to avoid it as long as possible.

#2756 4 years ago
    Quoted from pkrobin:

So far I've been lucky and always managed to find what I needed elsewhere. The whole mail me a check thing I find irritating, I hope to avoid it as long as possible.

Yeah, its really strange. I needed old Gottlieb parts, he has them. You'd think this day and age going digital might be easier, but many people don't want to change. So nice to fire off a quick paypal payment and done! To each their own.

#2757 4 years ago

Steve Young is an anacronism but he knows his stuff, has great parts, and his his prices are very good. Worth every minor bit of inconvenience.

1 month later
    #2758 4 years ago

Hey guys, what do i use to save a peeling backglass? Just starting to peel on the bottom corner and want to try and seal it to prevent further damage.. i mean besides duct tape of course!

1577914168856290391216511118560 (resized).jpg1577914168856290391216511118560 (resized).jpg
    #2759 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Hey guys, what do i use to save a peeling backglass? Just starting to peel on the bottom corner and want to try and seal it to prevent further damage.. i mean besides duct tape of course![quoted image]

Clear packing tape is about it unfortunately. You can paint the backside of the tape to try and limit the amount of light passing thru the cracks.

#2760 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Hey guys, what do i use to save a peeling backglass? Just starting to peel on the bottom corner and want to try and seal it to prevent further damage.. i mean besides duct tape of course![quoted image]

I've used Krylon Triple-thick spray glaze successfully several times in the past. It's an old technique that was/is? very popular.

https://www.krylon.com/products/triplethick-crystal-clear-glaze/

You can get it at Michaels (hobby place).

Here's a video how-to:

You should never leave a real backglass in a non-climate controlled environment (either before or after spraying it) where it will be exposed to extreme temperature variations or the paint will still come off the glass, but this will hold it in place if you look after it.

#2761 4 years ago

Thanks ken.. ill check it out. Ya, It was cold in a storage locker so that sucks it probably happened recently..if it wasn't so nice i would just tape it for sure.

#2762 4 years ago
    Quoted from Fytr:

I've used Krylon Triple-thick spray glaze successfully several times in the past.

I have also used this with very good results

#2763 4 years ago

No testing the product allowed apparently!! Found it tho..thanks

20200102_134314 (resized).jpg20200102_134314 (resized).jpg
    #2764 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

No testing the product allowed apparently!! Found it tho..thanks[quoted image]

When I worked at Canadian tire as a kid we had to start locking up the lacquer thinner.

#2765 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Hey guys, what do i use to save a peeling backglass? Just starting to peel on the bottom corner and want to try and seal it to prevent further damage.. i mean besides duct tape of course!

I can’t help but recognize the SBM - is it in your collection or are you doing a restore for someone? It is my one and only pin so far.

#2766 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

No testing the product allowed apparently!! Found it tho..thanks

The locked case is more for anti theft. In some areas minors can not buy rattle cans.

#2767 4 years ago
    Quoted from Waynezor:

When I worked at Canadian tire as a kid we had to start locking up the lacquer thinner.

That's both funny and sad

#2768 4 years ago

Does putting a playfield protector before you play a NIB Stern protect vs their issues on QC clear coating?

#2769 4 years ago

Anyone concerned with this large Pin purchase if you want to forward the money and pins to me I can escrow it for a small fee.

#2770 4 years ago
    Quoted from Waynezor:

Does putting a playfield protector before you play a NIB Stern protect vs their issues on QC clear coating?

Specifically, I haven't done it on a Stern with CC issues, but I've used a few of them on other games.

The issue I could imagine is where we've seen clearcoat pooling around posts, usually a post or a few have to come off to install the PFP and I could imagine some risk if you have pooling so be careful with that.

Once installed I wouldn't think it would be a big risk and would definitely help with dimpling if the clear is soft anywhere.

#2771 4 years ago

Any arcade guys in here?! Picked up a buckhunter and the monitor is not staying on. Works sometimes then when it flashes to a new screen it just goes black. Its at a friend's and haven't gotten over there yet.. just wondering what to check besides a loose cable connection. Thanks

#2772 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Any arcade guys in here?! Picked up a buckhunter and the monitor is not staying on. Works sometimes then when it flashes to a new screen it just goes black. Its at a friend's and haven't gotten over there yet.. just wondering what to check besides a loose cable connection. Thanks

Most likely it's going black on resolution change. I'm not the expert but cables are fine to check if you are careful, particularly going to the remote adjustment board - but sounds more like caps to me. Chance knows more if he's around or there is an Alberta Arcade group on FB that might have some insight.

#2773 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Most likely it's going black on resolution change. I'm not the expert but cables are fine to check (if you are careful!), particularly going to the remote adjustment board - but sounds more like caps to me. Chance knows more if he's around or there is an Alberta Arcade group on FB that might have some insight.

#2774 4 years ago

Ask around on cgcc.ca, there are a lot of knowledgeable arcade people there although it's very quiet at times.

#2775 4 years ago

It’s possible the monitor is going into HV shutdown. Can you hear the game still playing when the monitor goes out ? Want to rule out the game itself crashing/freezing up. Monitors are usually pretty easy fixes for the most part as long as they aren’t the crazy tri-mode monitors found in some of the newer games that take like 70+ capacitors to replace.

#2776 4 years ago

We headed over to look at it soon! Monitor was apparently replaced 4 years ago and its been sitting since.. i was gonna check the power supply for 5v and make sure everything is connected good. Yes, he said it plays blind.. but when he turns it off and on and video last only a few seconds

#2777 4 years ago

I also read to check the header pins on the video signal to the monitor, neck glow, and the blue leads at the connector at the transformer.. gonna check all the molex connectors and make sure there's power going to it..

#2778 4 years ago

Well, went over and had a look. Power supply was good. But no neck glow. Coin door light had juice so the 5v seemed to be working.. couldn't figure it out tho. So i put the back cover on,slid it back into the corner, gave the cabinet a slap and called it a bad name! Plugged it in to a different wall socket for shits and giggles..... and it works! For now! Haha.dunno wtf but we also re-seated a pin connector on the plug going to the board under the monitor. headed back there in a few hours.. sure hope it's still working! Ohh & i found 4bucks in the coin box!

#2779 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Well, went over and had a look. Power supply was good. But no neck glow. Coin door light had juice so the 5v seemed to be working.. couldn't figure it out tho. So i put the back cover on,slid it back into the corner, gave the cabinet a slap and called it a bad name! Plugged it in to a different wall socket for shits and giggles..... and it works! For now! Haha.dunno wtf but we also re-seated a pin connector on the plug going to the board under the monitor. headed back there in a few hours.. sure hope it's still working! Ohh & i found 4bucks in the coin box!

Typical troubleshooting, I troubleshoot for a living basically, the worst part is when you hit a wall, have done the 6 things you did and it come up perfect and you like, WTF, which one did it!??! Ha. Good to hear though

#2780 4 years ago

Typical troubleshooting, I troubleshoot for a living basically, the worst part is when you hit a wall, have done the 6 things you did and it come up perfect and you like, WTF, which one did it!??! Ha. Good to hear though

Yup, we wonder what did to actually fix it.. but i can tell you first hand it held up all night. Head ache confirms ...alll nite!

1 week later
    #2781 4 years ago

Hey you good folks.

Anyone here in the Canada well versed in the WPC 5v reset board problem that does board fixes and can give me a quote for doing it? My Gilligan will sporadically reset.

I’m not adverse to trying it myself either, would have to do research and a parts kit.

Thx.

#2782 4 years ago

Hey you good folks.
    Anyone here in the Canada well versed in the WPC 5v reset board problem that does board fixes and can give me a quote for doing it? My Gilligan will sporadically reset.
    I’m not adverse to trying it myself either, would have to do research and a parts kit.
    Thx.

This is all I use on my WPC games..........cheap and easy

https://www.flippers.com/catalog/product_info.php/kahr-pro5vdc-regulator-games-p-8041

#2783 4 years ago

Anyone in the group do powder coating?

#2784 4 years ago

I don't think anyone does it themselves, but i'll bet ya 20 bucks at least 3 people "know a guy" lol

#2785 4 years ago
    Quoted from aeonblack:

I don't think anyone does it themselves, but i'll bet ya 20 bucks at least 3 people "know a guy" lol

haha

#2786 4 years ago

I use Chris at addictive powder
    Pm me if you want his contact

#2787 4 years ago

Great powder coat guy here in Toronto area, but I do t think you're looking for that kind of drive.

#2788 4 years ago
    Quoted from Meegis:

Great powder coat guy here in Toronto area, but I do t think you're looking for that kind of drive.

Got a link or details? Meegis

#2789 4 years ago

Chris does awesome work if you ever come to Arkadium he has done many of the machines there, as well he did our fancy new gates. His work is top notch and is a super good guy to deal with.

Quoted from Stretch7:

I use Chris at addictive powder
    Pm me if you want his contact

#2790 4 years ago
    Quoted from CanadianPinball:

Got a link or details? meegis

Pm incoming

#2791 4 years ago

My brother runs a shop here in BC if anyone needs anything done. Amazing work. Has done endless things for my machines. Access to 4500 plus shades and colors.

#2792 4 years ago
    Quoted from Hawk007:

My brother runs a shop here in BC if anyone needs anything done. Amazing work. Has done endless things for my machines. Access to 4500 plus shades and colors.

I have his work on a couple of my pins, highly recommend. I was planning on ordering new ones because they were so rusted and shit and they came out flawless. Its hard to get focus on of how perfectly textured they are.
    20181211_193828 (resized).jpg20181211_193828 (resized).jpg20181211_193831 (resized).jpg20181211_193831 (resized).jpgIMG_8119 (resized).JPGIMG_8119 (resized).JPGIMG_8122 (resized).JPGIMG_8122 (resized).JPG

#2793 4 years ago

If anyone is needing a dolly, Canadian Tire has them on for $39.99. I blew out both of my tires and a new dolly was cheaper then buying 2 new tires and fixing my old one.

1 month later
    #2794 4 years ago

Anyone looking to purchase a sold out Yegpin ultimate vip pass? My wife is having surgery and will not be able to attend this years show.

Check out yegpin.com for what's all included. Shoot me a pm if interested.

Cheers

40f6b5a5e401511abb4b26325c278d34ed664fd7.jpg40f6b5a5e401511abb4b26325c278d34ed664fd7.jpg
    #2795 4 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Anyone looking to purchase a sold out Yegpin ultimate vip pass? My wife is having surgery and will not be able to attend this years show.
    Check out yegpin.com for what's all included. Shoot me a pm if interested.
    Cheers[quoted image]

VIP pass is now sold.

#2796 4 years ago

What an amazing poster

#2797 4 years ago

I wonder if the CoronaVirus will have any effect on YegPin?
    Hopefully shits sorted out by then.

#2798 4 years ago
    Quoted from NinJaBooT:

I wonder if the CoronaVirus will have any effect on YegPin?
    Hopefully shits sorted out by then.

I hope it still goes on for you guys but it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better. I think we haven't seen nothing yet up here in Canada

#2799 4 years ago

Not sure what this 250 people restriction is when costco here has 600+ going through the doors every 1/2 hour? Maybe need to go back to the old bar days and have bouncers keeping head count.

#2800 4 years ago

I have some 18"×12" etched arcrylic signs with an LED strip across the top. message me your email address if you would like pics. $60/each &buyer responsible for shipping. Currently have these:
    Stern-red
    Williams- green
    DataEast-blue
    Sega- blue
    Bally- orange
    JJP- white
    Gottlieb- orange
    Also have (approx 10") round clock shaped "Play Pinball here" with colour changing LEDs. They are $70/each

20190114_151606 (resized).jpg20190114_151606 (resized).jpg20190322_173338 (resized).jpg20190322_173338 (resized).jpgResized_20181218_151351_3088 (resized).jpegResized_20181218_151351_3088 (resized).jpeg
    There are 4,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 56 of 95.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/canadian-pinballers-thread-chat-here/page/56?hl=sixtyfourbits and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.