(Topic ID: 137778)

The Canadian Pinhead Thread. What's Up?!

By Jeekayjay

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,733 posts
  • 298 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 86 days ago by Deleenhe
  • Topic is favorited by 196 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0368 (resized).JPG
    20231031_105232.jpg
    20231031_105149.jpg
    20231031_105152.jpg
    20231031_105214.jpg
    20231031_105211.jpg
    20231031_105220.jpg
    20231031_105209.jpg
    20231031_105158.jpg
    20231031_105207.jpg
    20231031_110908.jpg
    IMG_5584 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-20231006-WA0010.jpg
    82eifj (resized).jpg
    IMG_0432 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0078 (resized).JPG
    There are 4,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 95.
    #2401 5 years ago

If any of you want to try the Ninja pinball but don't want to wast money on separate shipping (I know it's not cheap) I have an idea. If you buy your mechanical parts from other stores, arrange a plan with me and have them drop shipped to my address. Then you can order the number of balls you want, I'll add it to your order and send it through the eBay Global Shipping program. It's not a weight based program but there are weight restrictions and size limits so if I can fit all the stuff into the 2 sizes of packaging I use the most, I think I can save you some money. Of course, trust is the issue and some of you might think only a crazy person would fall for it. It just takes one to try it out and this might be a service that gains some traction. Why would I do this? Because my ability to market the Ninja and regular pinballs depends on the length I'm willing to go to get the ball to you and you will see from what others have said, I'm willing to go the extra mile.
    If you want more information on how I would do this, just reach out tome through the 'Contact Me' page on ballbaron.com or directly by email to: [email protected]

#2402 5 years ago
    Quoted from ballbaron:

If any of you want to try the Ninja pinball but don't want to wast money on separate shipping (I know it's not cheap) I have an idea. If you buy your mechanical parts from other stores, arrange a plan with me and have them drop shipped to my address. Then you can order the number of balls you want, I'll add it to your order and send it through the eBay Global Shipping program. It's not a weight based program but there are weight restrictions and size limits so if I can fit all the stuff into the 2 sizes of packaging I use the most, I think I can save you some money. Of course, trust is the issue and some of you might think only a crazy person would fall for it. It just takes one to try it out and this might be a service that gains some traction. Why would I do this? Because my ability to market the Ninja and regular pinballs depends on the length I'm willing to go to get the ball to you and you will see from what others have said, I'm willing to go the extra mile.
    If you want more information on how I would do this, just reach out tome through the 'Contact Me' page on ballbaron.com or directly by email to: [email protected]

That’s thinking outside the box!!!

#2403 5 years ago

I've worked with David (BallBaron) a few times. There is no doubt that he is a man of his word and takes it very seriously (as he should), my 2c for what it's worth. A stand up offer from a stand up guy.

#2404 5 years ago
    Quoted from puck:

I've worked with David (BallBaron) a few times. There is no doubt that he is a man of his word and takes it very seriously (as he should), my 2c for what it's worth. A stand up offer from a stand up guy.

I very much appreciate the kind words and testimony. Here's hoping someone will take advantage of the offer so we can see what kind of cost savings can actually be realized. If it turns out to be a dud, I'll certainly recommend against it. This is a model for someone without an urgent need for an item(s) because the overall double shipping time could set final delivery at over 21 business days.

#2405 5 years ago
    Quoted from ballbaron:

I very much appreciate the kind words and testimony. Here's hoping someone will take advantage of the offer so we can see what kind of cost savings can actually be realized. If it turns out to be a dud, I'll certainly recommend against it. This is a model for someone without an urgent need for an item(s) because the overall double shipping time could set final delivery at over 21 business days.

No worries on the "urgent" part, we expect all pinball items to arrive in at least a month minimum up here

1 month later
    #2406 5 years ago

So did this thread just up and die? Haven't seen a post in over a month?

#2407 5 years ago
    Quoted from silverball0:

Probably due to summer. Lots of guys I know barely turn their games on when it's nice out. They're at the lake, working on their cars or doing outdoor activities with the kids.

#2408 5 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Probably due to summer. Lots of guys I know barely turn their games on when it's nice out. They're at the lake, working on their cars or doing outdoor activities with the kids.

What's this 'outdoors' you speak of?

#2409 5 years ago

Nice too see Absolute pinball in Saskatoon is stocking Comet bulbs now. If a guy didn't want to wait or deal with it, could stop in and grab a stack in a pinch!

#2410 5 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

Nice too see Absolute pinball in Saskatoon is stocking Comet bulbs now. If a guy didn't want to wait or deal with it, could stop in and grab a stack in a pinch!

Wicked news!!

#2411 5 years ago
    Quoted from silverball0:

Alberta Cup Championship coming up July 21st hosted this year at the Trap and Gill in Calgary. Top 8 players from Edmonton vs Top 8 players from Calgary. Event is always dominated by Calgary but perhaps Edmonton can turn it around this year.

Also Alberta female cup also being hosted same day, time and place. Open to all female players in a Alberta.

Nice to take a break from the lake and camping and play some pinball!!

#2412 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinchamp:

Alberta Cup Championship coming up July 21st hosted this year at the Trap and Gill in Calgary. Top 8 players from Edmonton vs Top 8 players from Calgary. Event is always dominated by Calgary but perhaps Edmonton can turn it around this year.
    Also Alberta female cup also being hosted same day, time and place. Open to all female players in a Alberta.
    Nice to take a break from the lake and camping and play some pinball!!

Where are the rankings listed?

#2414 5 years ago

Took forever!!! Finally sourced some naphtha. Got the Coop here in Nipawin to order it in

F5D2D84C-B855-401A-92B3-D0C76980F7F8 (resized).jpegF5D2D84C-B855-401A-92B3-D0C76980F7F8 (resized).jpeg
    #2415 5 years ago
    Quoted from Hammerhead:

Yes, but now he'll get to deal with the 28 cents on the dollar USD-to-CAD exchange and 13% tax at the border.
    Welcome to Canada!

I was wondering about this. So to bring a game into Canada from the States, you have to pay both gst and pst at the border? I've seen some decent deals on games in North Dakota, but by the time I factor in taxes, the exchange rate, and fuel costs, it seems to kill any decent deals. Especially if the border tax is 13%.

#2416 5 years ago
    Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

So to bring a game into Canada from the States, you have to pay both gst and pst at the border?

Yes....13% tax...and you need to have a Bill of sale

#2417 5 years ago
    Quoted from Malibu-SS:

Yes....13% tax...and you need to have a Bill of sale

Thanks Rick! I remembered from a previous conversation we had that you mentioned paying tax at the border, I just couldn't remember the %. Thanks again

#2418 5 years ago
    Quoted from sixtyfourbits:

I was wondering about this. So to bring a game into Canada from the States, you have to pay both gst and pst at the border? I've seen some decent deals on games in North Dakota, but by the time I factor in taxes, the exchange rate, and fuel costs, it seems to kill any decent deals. Especially if the border tax is 13%.

You might get lucky. I've brought 2 games across the border and only one got stopped for taxes.
    And your only a hour to the border. Just put in enough gas to get you there and fill up on cheap yankee gas.

#2419 5 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

You might get lucky.

At Pembina crossing you rarely get through without tax

#2420 5 years ago
    Quoted from Malibu-SS:

At Pembina crossing you rarely get through without tax

My buddy was moving from Calgary to Scottdale and took 20 trips probably. Maybe they got used to him. Maybe a lazy gaurd? Oh well, at 5% it would have been under $150 anyways.

Could save a few % tax coming up in Saskatchewan but probably not worth the gas unless buying a truckload

#2421 5 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

You might get lucky. I've brought 2 games across the border and only one got stopped for taxes.
    And your only a hour to the border. Just put in enough gas to get you there and fill up on cheap yankee gas.

Or you might not, and get raked over the coals for not having a receipt for your $300 non-working Frogger project because there's one on eBay for $2000.

#2422 5 years ago

Hey BC pinheads !

I'm over in Vancouver at the end of August for a few days ...where's the pinball at in the city ? We were over 4 years ago and I visited Pub 340...they had a decent lineup. Any good video game places too ? Oh and craft beer places

Thanks and looking forward to visiting again

#2423 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ive:

Hey BC pinheads !
    I'm over in Vancouver at the end of August for a few days ...where's the pinball at in the city ? We were over 4 years ago and I visited Pub 340...they had a decent lineup. Any good video game places too ? Oh and craft beer places

If you can linger into September, they have a big show going on.

http://www.vancouverflipout.com

#2424 5 years ago

Craziest storm just passed thru. All my wife's hard work, gone in minutes

20180721_210301.jpg20180721_210301.jpg20180721_210306.jpg20180721_210306.jpg20180721_210324.jpg20180721_210324.jpg
    #2425 5 years ago

Maybe you can tell from this photo who won the Alberta Challenge Cup pitting the top players from Edmonton against top player in Calgary? Blue (Edmonton) was up 6 points going into the final head to head matchups. So much fun. Thanks to everyone who attended and to all who organized.485EBDAB-BD94-4C15-8EA7-FA37B2B5BCAD (resized).jpeg485EBDAB-BD94-4C15-8EA7-FA37B2B5BCAD (resized).jpeg

#2426 5 years ago

Calgary Champs!!! 3-1 Calgary now - see you next year!

9CD13BBC-0284-46D6-BD2A-458D3E5595B6 (resized).jpeg9CD13BBC-0284-46D6-BD2A-458D3E5595B6 (resized).jpeg
    #2427 5 years ago
    Quoted from Ive:

Hey BC pinheads !

Pub 340 is still the best place to play in the city IMO. Sunday evening tournaments.
    Lamp Lighter has free Wednesday evening tourneys.
    Bimini's also has a great lineup and Thursday tourneys.
    Brewhall has a few pins and arcade machines.
    Far Out Coffee has a nice lineup but is only open during the day. They close at 4 or 5 pm.
    The American is also a great place to play.

That's a good start for you. You can check out
    https://pinballmap.com/bc?utf8=%E2%9C%93&region=bc&by_city_id=Vancouver&by_at_least_n_machines_city=
    for a list of other locations.

Feel free to PM me if you want more info.

#2428 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinchamp:

What's the format for these events?

#2429 5 years ago

does anyone have a line on some decent pricing for LED replacement bulbs we can buy in Canada? Shipping from the USA has become crazy expensive.I am in Ontario so even something local would be great

#2430 5 years ago
    Quoted from zpinman370:

does anyone have a line on some decent pricing for LED replacement bulbs we can buy in Canada? Shipping from the USA has become crazy expensive.I am in Ontario so even something local would be great

Pinball medics wasn't bad when I ordered a few bulbs, they carry comet. Player 1 sells cointtaker. Also Devron at absolute pinball has some comet. You can hit him up on facebook. Depending what you need I would suggest pinball medics.

Edit: I would only recommend the bulbs above for GI. If you need non ghosting for your inserts, then make sure your bulbs are non ghosting.

#2431 5 years ago

These guys are in your neck of the woods...

www.pinballleds.ca

Quoted from zpinman370:

#2432 5 years ago
    Quoted from shaub:

What's the format for these events?

It’s a fun format. First 3 rounds are team events. Teams of 2.

Split finger (2 machines, each team best of 3 per machine)
    Split balls (2 machines. Each player plays a ball, best of 3 per machine)
    Best game (4 player game on two machines. One game only - highest score wins the point)

Each of those games is worth one point so 6 points maximum total per team of 2

Then comes head to head on one machine. Best of 3 games. Worth 2 points per win.

I think I have that close at least but someone can chime and and correct me.

#2433 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinchamp:

Looks like you need matching shorts next year as well. lol.

#2434 5 years ago
    Quoted from pinchamp:

Maybe you can tell from this photo who won the Alberta Challenge Cup pitting the top players from Edmonton against top player in Calgary? Blue (Edmonton) was up 6 points going into the final head to head matchups. So much fun. Thanks to everyone who attended and to all who organized.

I think EDM won because they were able to come to Calgary for a few days.

2 weeks later
    #2435 5 years ago

Other then Flipout any warm up tournaments or open league nights in August for the Vancouver area?

#2436 5 years ago

I think there’s a stacked event on the last weekend of August. Probably be at pub 340. There’s a fb gtoup.

#2437 5 years ago
    Quoted from puck:

Other then Flipout any warm up tournaments or open league nights in August for the Vancouver area?

Aug 25 @ 6pm (Nitro Pinball) - Flipper Freaks Pinball League

ffcrest (resized).jpgffcrest (resized).jpg
    #2438 5 years ago
    Quoted from FlipperFreak:

Aug 25 @ 6pm (Nitro Pinball) - Flipper Freaks Pinball League[quoted image]

Nice!! Do you need subs or can I drop in an play? Where is this held?

#2439 5 years ago

Pokey's Pinball Cafe is the go to place for newer games in Saskatoon but if you're looking for some 80s and 90s action or want a full evening of entertainment, you have to check out the Twisted Tartan on 8th St.
    6 pins, 3 pool tables, a row of new driving games, 2018 Golden tee, a few multicades, speedy pac, 16 vlts, 2 bars and a full menu. Plus tvs everywhere. This place is huge! And is open early!!!

Definitely a check it out place when in Saskatoon if gaming is your thing.

#2440 5 years ago
    Quoted from puck:

Nice!! Do you need subs or can I drop in an play? Where is this held?

Held at Nitro Pinball (Canada) #23-2337 Townline Rd., Abbotsford, BC V2T 6G1 - Open IFPA League / Drop In's welcome anytime.

#2441 5 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Pokey's Pinball Cafe is the go to place for newer games in Saskatoon but if you're looking for some 80s and 90s action or want a full evening of entertainment, you have to check out the Twisted Tartan on 8th St.
    6 pins, 3 pool tables, a row of new driving games, 2018 Golden tee, a few multicades, speedy pac, 16 vlts, 2 bars and a full menu. Plus tvs everywhere. This place is huge! And is open early!!!
    Definitely a check it out place when in Saskatoon if gaming is your thing.

While true we have a lot of newer pins, we try to keep some classics in the line up. Meteor is 1978. MM is 1997. IMDN and soon Deadpool will be our newest pins at 2018 each.

And TZ will be here one day ...

#2442 5 years ago

Man .... no Pinball in Toronto airport.... not terminal 3 anyway... wow that’s disappointing.... see, now I gotta resort to my other love; beer. It never lets me down.

#2443 5 years ago

Hey, planning ahead for a bit of restoration work on the horizon, but I was wondering if anyone in/near/around the Saskatoon area (or even somewhat nearby) has the WPC backbox warning silkscreens?

Interested in working out some sort of deal at some point for cost of consumables and time to screen a backbox since it seems a bit overkill for me to pick up a silkscreen set for a one-time usage haha..

This won’t be for a little while, also, as I’m still ordering random parts and stuff bit by bit prior to the resto. Just wanted to put some feelers out there!

#2444 5 years ago
    Quoted from puck:

Wednesdays at Lamp Lighter
    Thursdays at Bimini's
    Sundays at pub 340

All weekly knock out tourneys so anyone can drop in.

Also the Northwest Pinball Championship is happening Aug 24-27 down by Seattle.

And as TMC stated Stacked Aug 31st at Pub 340.

2 weeks later
    #2445 5 years ago

#letsdothis

Come down to the lamp, meet puck, autographs at 8

976552CD-ED8D-4A68-8CD9-1115A8D52784 (resized).jpeg976552CD-ED8D-4A68-8CD9-1115A8D52784 (resized).jpeg
    #2446 5 years ago

No report back on the autograph lineup??

#2447 5 years ago

Thanks to Cam, Simon, Billy, Matt, Sean, and Angelique. What an amazing community you have. Thanks for being amazing ambassadors for pinball. See everyone at flipout!

#2448 5 years ago

Hey Folks! Anyone recommend someone in Canada with a good rep for board repair and a reasonable price? I don't want to ship to the main guys in US because I will get hammered at the border/customs fees.

I need to get a system 11c from my Game Show and the MPU from my WPC FT looked at before I go any further.

Thx if you have "a guy" and can pass anything along!
    northerndude

#2449 5 years ago
    Quoted from northerndude:

Canada with a good rep for board repair

John's Jukes in Vancouver has done a couple for me. Sometimes quickly, sometimes long turn around.

#2450 5 years ago

Hi guys! I'm just getting into pinball and am out near Langley in BC. There's a few pinball machines nearby according to the pinball map, but the vast majority are a good 50 minute drive from me. Anyone out in the valley want to meet up with a fellow pinhead and get some games in locally (i.e. Surrey / Langley area)? Thanks!!
    - Bryn

There are 4,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 49 of 95.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/canadian-pinballers-thread-chat-here/page/49?hl=boat and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.