New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 137778)

The Canadian Pinhead Thread. What's Up?!

By Jeekayjay

5 years ago

Topic Stats

• 2,992 posts
  • 221 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 hours ago by northerndude
  • Topic is favorited by 145 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 329 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

EFA51C16-C72E-4BCA-96CF-D4C9F40A53CD (resized).jpeg
    EFA1F7FB-24DE-4E33-A627-8BE98B21850C (resized).jpeg
    990120FB-2158-4EAA-BD15-90361067B926 (resized).jpeg
    97C31EE7-E9DD-4887-BD25-4E6BEC867B50 (resized).jpeg
    0CB757E0-CF38-4432-9785-38EDE97C35CE (resized).jpeg
    E531CE67-AF61-4486-8BA4-BBDAF23EE014 (resized).jpeg
    A40463C9-665E-4A96-AD57-29D1DDAFC0EB (resized).jpeg
    6E158D2C-EED6-47E3-A5D2-49DBB3907BEF (resized).jpeg
    DB5429F2-66BB-4847-B3E5-FD302F9C94B1 (resized).jpeg
    6C0C8CCF-D685-486D-BE98-C4568F73C242 (resized).jpeg
    9F78A360-90D3-4509-85D0-2E86B3E5FBF7 (resized).jpeg
    01743BA8-1AE3-49B9-BB61-884D76453ABE (resized).jpeg
    1C98D4CE-8CA1-4FB5-80E6-92F2C0F22017 (resized).jpeg
    9F977CFF-6B92-44EF-8DA9-46E5AB345859 (resized).jpeg
    7238D451-91DC-4D7D-AAAD-388A96E3CF36 (resized).jpeg
    D041183F-2373-40ED-903E-7E1ECFD4FD81 (resized).jpeg

There are 2992 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 60.
    #2051 2 years ago

I didn't even know it was legal for companies in Canada to deny selling products to me based on where I live - learn something new every day.

Has anyone encountered this in other industries where you call up a company for some product and they say "sorry, I'm not allowed to sell to you because you're from Saskatchewan"?

Next question is, what if you visited another province. Could they deny to sell to you even in person, over the counter, because you live in a certain province?

#2052 2 years ago

I’m not sure it is legal.

#2053 2 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

I didn't even know it was legal for companies in Canada to deny selling products to me based on where I live - learn something new every day.
    Has anyone encountered this in other industries where you call up a company for some product and they say "sorry, I'm not allowed to sell to you because you're from Saskatchewan"?
    Next question is, what if you visited another province. Could they deny to sell to you even in person, over the counter, because you live in a certain province?

There are tricks im business and contracts behind scenes, but its not totally allowed.

Quoted from Hitch9:

I’m not sure it is legal.

It is not.

#2054 2 years ago

All you Ontario boys should each order a n.i.b. stern from Nitro this weekend and "stick it to the man"! (You're welcome in advance if this work's Tommy!)

#2055 2 years ago
    Quoted from JoshODBrown:

I got a Pin Stadium kit for my Star Wars with the GI and UV Flasher, but i am thinking i might actually move it over to the Metallica because i feel like it it will benefit from the UV flash in a cooler way. But all in all, I really like Pin Stadium! I feel like I need it on every game now. Quick install too... 10-15 minutes, no tools needed unless you want to hard wire it in to your GI and flashers permanently.

ya, I'm afraid i'll want a set on every pin as well! They do look deadly and a simple install! A bit pricey tho with the uv/ flasher kits.. Are you guys planning a video review on them?!

#2056 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

ya, I'm afraid i'll want a set on every pin as well! They do look deadly and a simple install! A bit pricey tho with the uv/ flasher kits.. Are you guys planning a video review on them?!

Yup, I have an install and review video in the works right now. probably release it in the next week or so, but I can share a little raw gameplay footage. I have the GI color set a little more on the purple/blue side in this video. The nice part is when the UV flasher fires, which you can see a little better after the 1 minute mark when i start into a mode.

#2057 2 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

Purchasing across provincial borders with wine , spirits, beer, and tobacco. Has many restrictions.

In the 1990's buying more than one new car was also a problem. With dealers refusing to sell more than 1 unit at a time to out of area buyers. No fleet sales out of the car dealers sales district, was very common.

#2058 2 years ago
    Quoted from spinal:

The only issue I can see is that provincial sales tax. Or were a province has that H.S.T.
    If you are a tourist buying a pin on a trip. In B.C. you might not be exempt from the provincial sales tax. Surely Tom has that all figured out.

#2059 2 years ago

I go to Lloyd monthly to stock up on cheap Alberta booze

#2060 2 years ago
    Quoted from Flippers_com:

I can tell you that Player One (1) (who used to be Starburst) is the ONLY Canadian distributor for Stern Pinball. They have a network across Canada of authorized resellers of their lines, of which we are currently the only one in BC.
    'nuff said.
    John :-#)#
    "Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."

I’d like an explanation as to why you are spreading false information on pinside, Facebook and Instagram just a few days after nitro announced direct distribution from stern.

#2061 2 years ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

I’d like an explanation as to why you are spreading false information on pinside, Facebook and Instagram just a few days after nitro announced direct distribution from stern.

No shit!! Seems sketchy as fuck, no matter to me I guess as I'll ONLY buy from Nitro anyway.

#2062 2 years ago

It's clear that both John's Jukes & Jay Richardson used our announcement as a vehicle for sales. They're both P1 resellers....and made similar announcements on the heels of Nitro as if something had changed in their status. Disingenuous to say the least. John doesn't stock NIB (orders from P1 when customer pays upfront)...and Jay works out of his garage. Both of these guys tow the P1 line and are part of the problem.

#2063 2 years ago
    Quoted from FlipperFreak:

It's clear that both John's Jukes & Jay Richardson used our announcement as a vehicle for sales. They're both P1 resellers....and made similar announcements on the heels of Nitro as if something announcement worthy had changed in their status. Disingenuous to say the least. John doesn't stock NIB (orders from P1 when customer pays upfront)...and Jay works out of his garage. Both of these guys tow the P1 line and are part of the problem when it comes to fair pricing & service.

This is awesome news Tommy.

I initially ordered my DILE through P1 in April. Was "promised" a delivery date of late June early July at the latest. One BS excuse after the other, I took a refund and ordered through Tommy @ Nitro. Although there was yet another frustrating delay, just dealing with Tommy was a much better experience than P1, where there care for customers are somewhat lacking.

I'll be dealing with Nitro for any future NIB purchases!

#2064 2 years ago
    Quoted from JoshODBrown:

Yup, I have an install and review video in the works right now. probably release it in the next week or so, but I can share a little raw gameplay footage. I have the GI color set a little more on the purple/blue side in this video. The nice part is when the UV flasher fires, which you can see a little better after the 1 minute mark when i start into a mode. » YouTube video

what a difference! I haven't played SW yet but it sure pops compared to MET next to it! Pinstadium has a 15% off code this weekend.. "bfriday" tempted to order a set!

#2065 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

what a difference! I haven't played SW yet but it sure pops compared to MET next to it! Pinstadium has a 15% off code this weekend.. "bfriday" tempted to order a set!

I've got 'em on 5 of my pins right now. They look awesome on MET, particularly when you tie it into Sparky.

#2066 2 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

I have the same feeling with the Pin Stadium lights seeing it next to my other games as I had when i got my first LED lit game and saw it sitting next to my incandescent bulbed games. it's hard to really portray it properly using any sort of camera.

Here is another quick pan shot of my pins in the arcade where you can really see the difference between the Star Wars and the others. Again, i've got my GI tuned a little heavier on the purple side, but regular white is just as bright if not more. The nice thing is you can tune the brightness to fit your liking.

#2067 2 years ago

Does this mean Nitro can skip P1 (the middle man) and buy direct from Stern for even better savings? If so, it's a great day for Pinball in Canada!

#2068 2 years ago
    Quoted from pinball_customs:

Does this mean Nitro can skip P1 (the middle man) and buy direct from Stern for even better savings? If so, it's a great day for Pinball in Canada!

Yep. My interpretation is Tommy will be receiving pins direct from Stern!

#2069 2 years ago
    Quoted from Bigbossfan:

Yep. My interpretation is Tommy will be receiving pins direct from Stern!

P1 will now try to do everything in their power to prevent this. Get ready for some pinball drama!

#2070 2 years ago

P1 will now try to do everything in their power to prevent this. Get ready for some pinball drama!

God forbid they get some competition.... :O

#2071 2 years ago
    Quoted from Flippers_com:

Somewhat off topic (with respect to pinball) but Nitro Amusements is now selling some sort of video console device. I thought he only did pinball?
    vancouver.craigslist.ca link
    John :-#)#
    "Old pinballers never die, they just flip out."

With all due respect John, stop being a troll. What is it, bash on Tommy day in the retirement home? He's done more for pinball in Canada than any other retailer in Canada, forget that, PERSON I know and these attacks reflect poorly on you. The Stern monopoly should not have gone as long as it has and I very much welcome the hard working Nitro crew getting whats rightfully theirs. I'm tired of you constantly ripping people off (NIB, parts or repair work)

You've let this business slide for far to long.

#2072 2 years ago

There are many people in Ontario who would rather buy from you on principal alone, so extra savigs is a bonus

#2073 2 years ago

Thank you for the EASY colordmd transaction!

Rob

#2074 2 years ago
    Quoted from Wiggy76:

With all due respect John, stop being a troll. What is it, bash on Tommy day in the retirement home? He's done more for pinball in Canada than any other retailer in Canada, forget that, PERSON I know and these attacks reflect poorly on you. The Stern monopoly should hadn't have gone as long as it has and I very much welcome the hard working Nitro crew getting whats rightfully theirs. I'm tried of you constantly ripping people off (NIB, parts or repair work)
    You've let this business slide for far to long.

This is the same for the whiner Jay Richardson Pinball, stick to screwing people over on your "white glove service" Jay and leave new pin sales to the guys that run it right.

#2075 2 years ago

.Get ready for some pinball drama!

giphy (resized).png

#2076 2 years ago

Tommy was a pleasure to deal with on my pin , much better than P1 . Tommy will happily get my money again.

#2077 2 years ago

Quoted from misfitdart:This is the same for the whiner Jay Richardson Pinball, stick to screwing people over on your "white glove service" Jay and leave new pin sales to the guys that run it right.

Yea I got the white glove service. Legs on and out the door before I could finish my first game. Had some issues and had to call him back, wouldn't recommend the "white glove" experience. He wouldn't even work with me to get the game upstairs where I wanted it

#2078 2 years ago
    Quoted from wolv3:

Yea I got the white glove service. Legs on and out the door before I could finish my first game. Had some issues and had to call him back, wouldn't recommend the "white glove" experience. He wouldn't even work with me to get the game upstairs where I wanted it

Lol NO WAY!? There are a million "I got screwed over by Jay" stories out there, I'm glad that you shared your incident on this open forum. I'd love to read more.....

#2079 2 years ago
    Quoted from wolv3:

Lol, if that's the white glove service, what's the regular delivery? Does he just kick it off the tailgate of a moving truck in front of your house?

#2080 2 years ago

He told me that if I didn't get his set up he wasn't covering any warranty issues. When some other problems came up he worked with jjp to come up with a solution but then basically got me to just communicate with them directly and disappeared. No follow up calls or anything to see how things went.

#2081 2 years ago

I could have probably picked up my DILE from Starburst (I refuse to call it Playdium or Player One) but I decided to order from Nitro instead because I find Starburst's business practices terrible.

Hopefully others do the same and hit them in the pocketbook so they realize their horrible customer service and prices won't be tolerated anymore.

#2082 2 years ago

Did a big convoluted 3 way trade and was having trouble getting a Pin shipped out of Player 1, then this happens!! Nitro finds a way!! What's a 12 Hour drive each way from Tommy? Apparently just what needs to be done!! Thanks Tommy!! Much appreciated!! flipperfreak

20171125_144642 (resized).jpg

20171125_143754 (resized).jpg

#2083 2 years ago
    Quoted from PinsOnly:

Did a big convoluted 3 way trade and was having trouble getting a Pin shipped out of Player 1, then this happens!! Nitro finds a way!! What's a 12 Hour drive each way from Tommy? Apparently just what needs to be done!! Thanks Tommy!! Much appreciated!! flipperfreak

Holy sh!t!

John won’t even deliver locally lol

Nitro ftw only place I will ever shop

#2084 2 years ago

Holy sh!t!
    John won’t even deliver locally lol
    Nitro ftw only place I will ever shop

Same as Jay Richardson Pinball!! Jay wouldn't cross the street to make a customer happy and Nitro does this?? Tommy now has access to my bank account lol

#2085 2 years ago

I showed my wife the pic of Tommy Floyd and Tommy now at Dave's and my old man (74) walks by and says "the guy with the goatee looks like a guy I'd like to have beers with. The skinny guy, not so much"
    We both busted out laughing

Tommy, you're the man!

#2086 2 years ago

The back of the Nitro van says it all

Service/Satisfaction

Those 2 things always equal Sales and Loyalty in my book

#2087 2 years ago
    Quoted from jesperpark:

The back of the Nitro van says it all
    Service/Satisfaction
    Those 2 things always equal Sales and Loyalty in my book

Be careful though, not all vans that say ‘service and satisfaction’ mean the same thing...

#2088 2 years ago

Be careful though, not all vans that say ‘service and satisfaction’ mean the same thing...

Haaaaa best post of this thread lol

#2089 2 years ago

Nitro Pinball hand delivers my replacement Alien pinball machine yesterday as well.
    Busy day for Tommy Floyd,good party at Al’s after to.

I now have the most Aliens in Canada
    Hit me up if you want to try it out.

Tommy rocks,best service and pinball dude in Canada.

E6E83255-20D0-4EDA-BFBE-9A347539F92B (resized).jpeg

2BB8010C-58EB-4C29-A902-046019F9919F (resized).jpeg

#2090 2 years ago
    Quoted from pingod:

Nitro Pinball hand delivers my replacement Alien pinball machine yesterday as well.
    Busy day for Tommy Floyd,good party at Al’s after to.
    I now have the most Aliens in Canada
    Hit me up if you want to try it out.
    Tommy rocks,best service and pinball dude in Canada.

Sweet! why didnt he take the old one lol? Working well?

#2091 2 years ago
    Quoted from libtech:

Sweet! why didnt he take the old one lol? Working well?

Works great,need to swap out some parts first.

#2092 2 years ago

Anyone know the current lineup at Denzian Hall in Edmonton? For some reason they don't put it on their website.

*edit* forgot about pinmap.

#2093 2 years ago

Heres the really cool thing that I don’t think people realize about Tommy’s trip to Calgary yesterday: How many other pinball company owners will drop what they were doing at the spur of the moment and trek a game 12 hours each way?

I was on the phone with Tommy Friday just chatting away when he had another call come in on the other line. When he called me back later there was this sense of determinate urgency in his voice and he happily told me that our conversation would have to wait because he was now just gonna drop what he was doing to bring that Star Wars LE out here to Calgary. Im sure it was a special case, and i know Dan’s Alien was also involved in the trip but the bad ass thing was that it just didn’t phase him. He was happy to do it and make everyone happy too. Definitely a top shelf attitude when it comes to business and customer service. Any company, Pinball or otherwise should take note of that enthusiasm.

#2094 2 years ago

Just won a bottle betting against the stamps! I picked the score too! Sorry gentlemen in Calgary! Except Dan (he's a bomber fan!)

20171126_211601 (resized).png

#2095 2 years ago
    Quoted from pingod:

Works great,need to swap out some parts first.

A custom painted zeno head from spinny-vinny?!?

#2096 2 years ago

Wow, great work Tommy! I know where to go when I decide on NIB.

#2097 2 years ago
    Quoted from ChanceKJ:

Heres the really cool thing that I don’t think people realize about Tommy’s trip to Calgary yesterday: How many other pinball company owners will drop what they were doing at the spur of the moment and trek a game 12 hours each way?
    I was on the phone with Tommy Friday just chatting away when he had another call come in on the other line. When he called me back later there was this sense of determinate urgency in his voice and he happily told me that our conversation would have to wait because he was now just gonna drop what he was doing to bring that Star Wars LE out here to Calgary. Im sure it was a special case, and i know Dan’s Alien was also involved in the trip but the bad ass thing was that it just didn’t phase him. He was happy to do it and make everyone happy too. Definitely a top shelf attitude when it comes to business and customer service. Any company, Pinball or otherwise should take note of that enthusiasm.

Thanks for the kind words Chance. Bottom line, Dave was promised a Star Wars LE by the weekend. P1 ensured that wasn't going to happen by refusing to ship the pin. I simply did what needed to be done to keep a promise. Every customer is extremely important to us. We do this because we love pinball and I consider myself extremely fortunate to work within this community. It's easy to do the right thing. Unfortunately, there are those that choose not to.

#2099 2 years ago

Truely amazing service tommy!!!!! Glad your there for us.... truely amazing what lengths you go to for us!!!! Can’t wait to order another pin from ya

#2100 2 years ago

So I have a question... You guys live in Canada. Why don't you order direct from the manufacturer when buying new pinballs? Why go through a distributer? If you organize amongst yourselves you could share shipping costs etc.

What is stopping you from organizing a road trip to Stern and coming back with a truck full of pinballs? What am I missing here?

BTW Ill be in Canada in a couple of weeks and would love to catch up with some Canadian pinheads, drink some beer and play pinball. Are there any events coming up? I'll be there until end of January...

Cheers!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 17.00
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 35.00
    Hardware
    Filament Printing
    $ 86.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 54.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lermods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 12,500.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 89.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Sparky Pinball
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 7.50
    Tools
    PinDoc Restorations
    $ 209.99
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 12,500.00
    Pinball Machine
    Great American Pinball
    $ 10.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    UpKick Pinball
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 94.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 29.95
    $ 4.49
    Electronics
    Yorktown Arcade Supply
    $ 79.99
    Cabinet - Armor And Blades
    PinGraffix Pinside Shop
    $ 149.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 35.00
    Boards
    Pinball Haus
    There are 2992 posts in this topic. You are on page 42 of 60.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside