(Topic ID: 137778)

The Canadian Pinhead Thread. What's Up?!

By Jeekayjay

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,733 posts
  • 298 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Deleenhe
  • Topic is favorited by 196 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0368 (resized).JPG
    20231031_105232.jpg
    20231031_105149.jpg
    20231031_105152.jpg
    20231031_105214.jpg
    20231031_105211.jpg
    20231031_105220.jpg
    20231031_105209.jpg
    20231031_105158.jpg
    20231031_105207.jpg
    20231031_110908.jpg
    IMG_5584 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-20231006-WA0010.jpg
    82eifj (resized).jpg
    IMG_0432 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0078 (resized).JPG
    There are 4,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 95.
    #1301 7 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

That is exactly what Bill did in Lucky's we didn't have a great location to play league so he made a deal with the bar and created it out of thin air, we are really "Lucky" to have him in the pinball community.

Derek must of had a liquid lunch or something as he's usually bustin my balls more then rubbin em!
    I do pride myself on making nothing from something.

#1302 7 years ago

The way the market is...with "B" Williams/Bally games selling for 5K on average, you're not far off thinking that a recent NIB game should sell for close to what it was new. Let's face it, the market is crazy right now...and I thought it was crazy 3 years ago. Depending on the shipping and taxes, most Stern Pros are 8K when they arrive at your door. Considering that if you can find someone actually moving one and they've looked after their shiny new toy, I don't think asking 7K for a "like new" game is all that far off. I know I would have gladly paid $6800 cash for slightly used Stern Pro before buying my NIB MET Pro last month...just sayin'.

#1303 7 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

Its actually not that bad of the deal with the entire package you get all depending on the shape of the machines of course. If you were starting up a location that would be an excellent start of machines. Pretty sure a guy could knock off 5K and call it a day if he/she we would to take everything.
    http://www.kijiji.ca/v-toys-games/edmonton/selling-my-collection-of-pinball-and-redemption-machines/1250575986?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I know it's not the sale thread, but anyone message this guy and get a response by any chance?

#1304 7 years ago
    Quoted from noahd42:

I know it's not the sale thread, but anyone message this guy and get a response by any chance?

Someone from Calgary was on their way up today to look at them. Depending what they find, a deposit may be made tonight.

#1305 7 years ago
    Quoted from blowback1976:

Someone from Calgary was on their way up today to look at them. Depending what they find, a deposit may be made tonight.

Very cool. I know I wouldn't have minded getting my hands on that T3. That's just the way it goes though!

#1306 7 years ago
    Quoted from blowback1976:

Well if that someone from Calgary is on here, and does not want to haul all those pinballs back to Calgary. I would be interested in Totan or ARFM. Leave a pin or 2 in Edmonton I say

#1307 7 years ago

If the games are in nice/decent shape, I think you could actually make a few bucks and get all the redemption games for free. Recent sales added up exceed the price as is. Get a better price and your in business. I thought about inquiring but have to much on my plate to spend $35-40K right now.

#1308 7 years ago
    Quoted from earflaps:

The way the market is...with "B" Williams/Bally games selling for 5K on average, you're not far off thinking that a recent NIB game should sell for close to what it was new. Let's face it, the market is crazy right now...and I thought it was crazy 3 years ago. Depending on the shipping and taxes, most Stern Pros are 8K when they arrive at your door. Considering that if you can find someone actually moving one and they've looked after their shiny new toy, I don't think asking 7K for a "like new" game is all that far off. I know I would have gladly paid $6800 cash for slightly used Stern Pro before buying my NIB MET Pro last month...just sayin'.

Yup for sure given the market. Myself and a friend have been offered more north of $10K for Hobbit too. The dollar is killing everything, which is good or bad I guess, if your selling or buying.

#1309 7 years ago

I called and he said someone local was taking them all and I believe he also said he had a few parties interested. Seemed like a good guy!

#1310 7 years ago
    Quoted from earflaps:

With this all being said shouldn't there be a difference between recently nib huo and recently nib routed? No attack on anyone just stating my thoughts. With thinking this way it is the reason for the "market" being so crazy priced.

#1311 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinhead306:

With this all being said shouldn't there be a difference between recently nib huo and recently nib routed?

I've really never understood this. I've seen routed games that are mint, and HUO games that have been played to death and have some really bad 'repairs' done to them.

Condition is king. If an OP takes care of their games, why would they be worth less?

#1312 7 years ago
    Quoted from Boat:

I called and he said someone local was taking them all and I believe he also said he had a few parties interested. Seemed like a good guy!

Yeah, he emailed me this morning and said it was all sold. Too bad, but someone got a good score!

#1313 7 years ago

For sure Smoke...exactly what I was just going to say...condition is King.

#1314 7 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

Condition is king. If an OP takes care of their games, why would they be worth less?

Post a modern stern game for sale that's in mint condition and describe it as such. Don't say it's routed or HUO. Ten people will email asking if it's HUO. I don't have a problem with routed games and have many in my collection, but if it's been routed I want to pay less because I know I'll get less when I go to sell it.

#1315 7 years ago

I agree that condition is king and I agree that huo and routed is a blurry line because it is case by case not just a general statement. The thing is with routed games there are things that are out of even the best/most consistent operator. For instance the woz that is at rebellion was being played by some huge guy and he smashed the glass on the machine. That is something that wouldn't be happening in a huo environment. Well I hope anyways. Like I said it's not a dig at you at all pokey I have mad respect for you it's just my perspective on the way the market is.

#1316 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinhead306:

I agree that condition is king and I agree that huo and routed is a blurry line because it is case by case not just a general statement. The thing is with routed games there are things that are out of even the best/most consistent operator. For instance the woz that is at rebellion was being played by some huge guy and he smashed the glass on the machine. That is something that wouldn't be happening in a huo environment. Well I hope anyways. Like I said it's not a dig at you at all pokey I have mad respect for you it's just my perspective on the way the market is.

I've seen glass smash in people's homes

And is it a huo if it's been used in league play?

Blurry is an understatement

#1317 7 years ago
    Quoted from Meegis:

Blurry is an understatement</blockquote

Point taken I agree but there are multiple things. I've played on locations and the glass is sticky with beer. Having drink holders on the machine, someone other then you using non proper cleaning product on the cabinet. Also play numbers.

#1318 7 years ago
    Quoted from Meegis:

Blurry is an understatement

Point taken I agree but there are multiple things. I've played on locations and the glass is sticky with beer. Having drink holders on the machine, someone other then you using non proper cleaning product on the cabinet. Also play numbers. As I said prior it's just my opinion and I'm entitled too it. I don't think there is even a comparison on which machine takes more abuse.

#1319 7 years ago

And the glass smashing incident the guy hammer fisted the glass btw not a random ball ricochet.

#1320 7 years ago

I don't know how other people play their games at the house but there's no beers on my machines or hammer fisting going on.

#1321 7 years ago

That being said I have lots of experience playing pokeys machines and I know he was nonstop on his matinance/upkeep and would see him out once or twice a week at places on his route prior to having the cafe. He also urges people to take his number and text him if any problems arise so he can get them fixed before they wreck more stuff.

#1322 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinhead306:

Point taken I agree but there are multiple things. I've played on locations and the glass is sticky with beer. Having drink holders on the machine, someone other then you using non proper cleaning product on the cabinet. Also play numbers. As I said prior it's just my opinion and I'm entitled too it. I don't think there is even a comparison on which machine takes more abuse.

Everything you said, while likely true for routed, is still not making a strong case, as this is all user based.

Lots of home machines have drink holders, I know lots of home owners who put drinks ON games (and I hate seeing it).

And play number is a moot point as well. Have you ever gotten a game home and it being new to you you just play it, over and over and over and over again? You aren't limited by pumping coins into the thing, you just keep pressing start.

I'm not trying to be a smartass, just stating what's already been said. Huo is a term that needs to be taken with a grain of salt until you physically see the game.

#1323 7 years ago

If your friends spill drinks & smash the glass out with their fists at your house I think u need new friends! ROUTED typically get played almost every night while HUO most likely gets less plays and more respect. It's like buying a used car.. if it's a one owner vehicle or off a companie's fleet..which one are you going to generally want more? The one used by a bunch of random people who bag the shit out of it or the that you know the history of its use.

Quoted from Meegis:

Everything you said, while likely true for routed, is still not making a strong case, as this is all user based

if everything he says is likely true..then it's making a pretty strong case!

#1324 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

If your friends spill drinks & smash the glass out with their fists at your house I think u need new friends! ROUTED typically get played almost every night while HUO most likely gets less plays and more respect. It's like buying a used car.. if it's a one owner vehicle or off a companie's fleet..which one are you going to generally want more? The one used by a bunch of random people who bag the shit out of it or the that you know the history of its use.

if everything he says is likely true..then it's making a pretty strong case!

My point stands on the fact that HUO is a vague term, and like i mentioned prior, it all goes back to 'condition is king', which we have all agreed on.

And if my friends mistreat my games, they dont return. Im lucky enough to say I have yet to need to stop anyone from playing my games.

#1325 7 years ago

Yes it's a vague term..but my understanding of the term in reference to pinball machines is that MOST LIKELY means it has not been abused in a public environment, and that it TYPICALLY doesn't get played every nite by random people who don't treat it as their own. So taken with a grain of salt & GENERALLY speaking Meegis, would you buy a one owner car or a fleet vehicle?

#1326 7 years ago

Or you could just lie and say it's HUO, Im the second owner, the first one bought it new. Then get it home and find out otherwise. Not that anyone would do this.

Condition is king for sure and some sellers are douche bags.

Just saying.

#1327 7 years ago

It is always buyer beware in any used item you purchase. Always inspect a machine before you buy or ask for a ton of pictures unless you really trust the owner on the other side. HUO, lightly routed, mint, small wear, small cracks, slight cupped inserts these are all just general terms. One person's perceptions of condition can be different then yours so make sure you clearly look before you buy. Some people who sell don't know how to maintain a machine and don't know better and others are just plain shady. If you don't do the due dilligence then you can only blame yourself if you are not getting what you expected.

#1328 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Yes it's a vague term..but my understanding of the term in reference to pinball machines is that MOST LIKELY means it has not been abused in a public environment, and that it TYPICALLY doesn't get played every nite by random people who don't treat it as their own. So taken with a grain of salt & GENERALLY speaking Meegis, would you buy a one owner car or a fleet vehicle?

If the one owner car smells like cigarettes, has a bunch of accident history, and looks like shit.

While the fleet car has full dealer service records,and seems to be on the up and up.

My answer is clear.

#1329 7 years ago
    Quoted from Pinhead306:

Like I said it's not a dig at you at all pokey I have mad respect for you it's just my perspective on the way the market is.

Hey, no worries. The market stinks for everyone.

99% of all pins made before 1998 were routed at some point in their life. People still over pay for those.

*shrug* It is what it is.

#1330 7 years ago

No

Quoted from smokedog:Hey, no worries. The market stinks for everyone.
    99% of all pins made before 1998 were routed at some point in their life. People still over pay for those.
    *shrug* It is what it is.

No I agree and the key point is people over pay and that is what is driving the price up. When people are adding in things like tax and import fees for others to buy local and they don't have a business. And the crazy thing is people are paying those prices.

#1331 7 years ago

supply and demand. Certain titles of older games are desired and its a feeding frenzy to get them when they pop up. Top 10 games don't last a day once they go up for sale if its even remotely reasonably priced. Currently the supply of older pins is not meeting the demand of new/existing owners. I think the hobby is going through a huge spike in interest and growth. Unfortunately in Canada this just happens to be taking place during a very poor dollar.

#1332 7 years ago

Hey Saskatchewan guys.... just letting ya know a new location for pins in saskatoon!!! Zervos tavern has five pins. They are open 9:30am-2:00am everyday.... so if your in town stop by! Current line up is :
    AEROSMITH PRO
    AC/DC premium
    Transformers pro
    Lethal weapon 3
    Sorcerer

#1333 7 years ago

IMG_7611 (resized).JPGIMG_7611 (resized).JPG

IMG_7622 (resized).JPGIMG_7622 (resized).JPG

#1334 7 years ago

Nice lineup! Sorcerer!

#1335 7 years ago

Damn, I want to try a nice Sorcerer out, fun game but I've only ever played a really beat up one.

#1336 7 years ago

Two words for that sweet ass line up... Danny faakin Glover! Ok..almost 3 words. Haha

#1337 7 years ago

OK OK OK..... gotta love the Leo....

#1338 7 years ago
    Quoted from toasterman04:

Hey Saskatchewan guys.... just letting ya know a new location for pins in saskatoon!!! Zervos tavern has five pins. They are open 9:30am-2:00am everyday.... so if your in town stop by! Current line up is :
    AEROSMITH PRO
    AC/DC premium
    Transformers pro
    Lethal weapon 3
    Sorcerer

Stopped by Zervos at 10am this morning. Went to try the lineup out but had more fun with the two young blondes doing jack shooters at 10:30 in the morning "Why are you playing pinball?" I got asked a half a dozen times or so.

I went specifically to play Aerosmith. Man what a disappointment. (Gameplay, not condition) Sorcerer and transformers got the rest of my money. I don't know why no love for transformers. My first time playing it and enjoyed it enough where I'd like to own one. If you consider parting with it toaster maybe we can work something out.

All in all, nice neighborhood pub. Great lineup, friendly waitress, free popcorn, 10 vlts or so, beer was pricy and only 3 beers on tap but menu looked good. Definitely recommend popping in when you're in Saskatoon.

#1339 7 years ago

Ha me for stopping in ..... what did you hate about Aerosmith? I like it but don't love it.... but I agree transformers is such a great theme and game.... I will send a pm if I part with it.... probably Aerosmith first thou.... and yes thier beer lineup needs some improvement.

#1340 7 years ago

I hate that every 2 of 3 balls exits the bumbers hits the slings and drains without even flipping once. Then the 2nd ball goes straight from bumpers to right lane drain. Also felt very Metallica but not in a fun way. Only played 5 games and moved on. I can't stand when you lose cause of no fault of your own. Like the animations and playfield artwork but just not for me. I'll put $20 in tf and sorcerer instead!

#1341 7 years ago

Toastmaster, is Alien on-route anywhere or is that in your personal collection for now? I'm going through Saskatoon on my way to YegPin and thought I might check it out if it was on-route.

#1342 7 years ago
    Quoted from earflaps:

Toastmaster, is Alien on-route anywhere or is that in your personal collection for now? I'm going through Saskatoon on my way to YegPin and thought I might check it out if it was on-route.

I should be getting mine for Yegpin,at Yegpin from Nitro.
    It will be set up for people to play there.
    Rob Zombie as well.

#1343 7 years ago

Yep danger everywhere, even tougher without a ball save like I played at Nationals fun game thou.

Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I hate that every 2 of 3 balls exits the bumbers hits the slings and drains without even flipping once. Then the 2nd ball goes straight from bumpers to right lane drain. Also felt very Metallica but not in a fun way. Only played 5 games and moved on. I can't stand when you lose cause of no fault of your own. Like the animations and playfield artwork but just not for me. I'll put $20 in tf and sorcerer instead!

#1344 7 years ago

No ball save would be even more brutal. I'd probably enjoy it at a home environment where my dollar doesn't disappear in under 2 minutes. Seriously fastest I've ever drained 3 balls. Probably under 1 min. Once I got to play a while not knowing rules at all it seemed fun but I keep hearing sparky and made me wish pokeys was open to go play met.

#1345 7 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

No ball save would be even more brutal. I'd probably enjoy it at a home environment where my dollar doesn't disappear in under 2 minutes. Seriously fastest I've ever drained 3 balls. Probably under 1 min. Once I got to play a while not knowing rules at all it seemed fun but I keep hearing sparky and made me wish pokeys was open to go play met.

I was for sure at the cafe. Should have stopped by and banged on the door!

#1346 7 years ago

If you read the Aerosmith thread there is some good strategies on their to help your game. For an out of the box code it is one of the best I have played... Bad thing is there may not be much work to improve it but it is a pretty solid game as is.

#1347 7 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

I was for sure at the cafe. Should have stopped by and banged on the door!

I thought about stopping but the Masters were on and still had a 2hr drive. Next time I'll stop by for a cuban lunch for sure!

#1348 7 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

I thought about stopping but the Masters were on and still had a 2hr drive. Next time I'll stop by for a cuban lunch for sure!

I suggest it! The food was delicious. I bought a second meal just to take for lunch!

#1349 7 years ago
    Quoted from earflaps:

If he puts aliens on route I'll be making weekly trips

There are 4,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 27 of 95.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/canadian-pinballers-thread-chat-here/page/27 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.