(Topic ID: 137778)

The Canadian Pinhead Thread. What's Up?!

By Jeekayjay

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,733 posts
  • 298 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 85 days ago by Deleenhe
  • Topic is favorited by 196 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0368 (resized).JPG
    20231031_105232.jpg
    20231031_105149.jpg
    20231031_105152.jpg
    20231031_105214.jpg
    20231031_105211.jpg
    20231031_105220.jpg
    20231031_105209.jpg
    20231031_105158.jpg
    20231031_105207.jpg
    20231031_110908.jpg
    IMG_5584 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-20231006-WA0010.jpg
    82eifj (resized).jpg
    IMG_0432 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0078 (resized).JPG
    There are 4,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 95.
    #1201 7 years ago

Been evaluating my next pin buy options for months. Now was a good time for purchase and it looks like I'm getting a new MMR LE.

There were various other pinball candidates but there was nothing local I liked pin-wise, and not much out there interested me NIB... plus I don't do preorder (don't get me started lol); in stock is the way to go. I've had my eye on MMR for a while but was in no rush to buy. When the last call for MMR orders was communicated recently (production ending) and AFMR was confirmed that spurred me to finally decide to get the MMR.

I'm supposedly getting the last MMR LE in stock at Starburst. No fuss no muss is always preferable. I went LE since I wanted the shaker and the discount on the high res dmd color upgrade is significant.

Happy flipping.

#1202 7 years ago
    Quoted from dzoomer:

. . . and AFMR was confirmed . . .

When did this happen?

#1203 7 years ago
    Quoted from Hammerhead:

When did this happen?

Been around a month. I haven't seen any pics yet.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/amfr-pps-announced-next-remake

#1204 7 years ago

Super Selfie League for March has begun at the cafe. Qualifying games are Metallica, Tron, Whirlwind and Game of Thrones. Final is April 5th and only $5 to enter. This event is IFPA sanctioned. Come get your points!

#1205 7 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

Super Selfie League for March has begun at the cafe. Qualifying games are Metallica, Tron, Whirlwind and Game of Thrones. Final is April 5th and only $5 to enter. This event is IFPA sanctioned. Come get your points!

Thats a long drive
    I would have liked to try that one out.

#1206 7 years ago

Where's the best place to order fuses in Canada?

#1208 7 years ago
    Quoted from dirkdiggler:

Where's the best place to order fuses in Canada?

Digikey - if you order int he morning you're shipment will be at your front door the next day.

#1209 7 years ago
    Quoted from Hammerhead:

Digikey - if you order int he morning you're shipment will be at your front door the next day.

Thanks. Ninjaboot suggested the same.

#1210 7 years ago
    Quoted from pins4life33:

For those not on Facebook free play pinball party at Lucky's tonight!

Thanks Derek, you beat me to it! T3 has been added to lineup.

IMG_8558 (resized).JPGIMG_8558 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8554 (resized).JPGIMG_8554 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8553 (resized).JPGIMG_8553 (resized).JPG
    IMG_8550 (resized).JPGIMG_8550 (resized).JPG

#1211 7 years ago

Wow what an insane lineup! I wish I could go somewhere like that on a Friday night!

#1212 7 years ago

Yeah I work about 5 blocks away from there, did not realize there is such a collection close by. Time for some afternoon "sales calls"

#1213 7 years ago

Yep this is where the DHPL plays league out of all the machine are finely tuned, in awesome shape and mean lean fighting machines... Awesome location if you are a hard core pinballer.

Quoted from jesperpark:

Yeah I work about 5 blocks away from there, did not realize there is such a collection close by. Time for some afternoon "sales calls"

#1214 7 years ago

Planning a couple of full restoration projects (HEP style), anyone have recommendations who the top 3 in Canada are?

Thanks!

#1215 7 years ago
    Quoted from marlboroman:

Planning a couple of full restoration projects (HEP style), anyone have recommendations who the top 3 in Canada are?
    Thanks!

Tim. </endlist>

#1216 7 years ago

Is there anyone in regina that does repair work on pins ? I have a person in Weyburn that bought my Dracula and it's having issues , sound a like a simple switch issue as it's saying there's a ball missing , but I have reinjured my back and can't go look at it for him . Let me know , obviously I'm not looking for someone for free.

#1217 7 years ago
    Quoted from puck:

Tim. </endlist>

Alan Miller,end list

#1218 7 years ago
    Quoted from freezie:

Is there anyone in regina that does repair work on pins ? I have a person in Weyburn that bought my Dracula and it's having issues , sound a like a simple switch issue as it's saying there's a ball missing , but I have reinjured my back and can't go look at it for him . Let me know , obviously I'm not looking for someone for free.

We had a lost ball on our BSD on location,it got wedged under a plastic top right side.
    Still there to,just added a ball for now,really hard to get to unless you remove the ramp.
    Did the same thing,ball search until it kicked out another ball.

#1219 7 years ago

I will pass that to him , thanks.

#1220 7 years ago

thanks but ....???

#1221 7 years ago

Thanks to NinJaBooT for the evening of free pinball at Lucky Lounge. It was awesome. Nice to play some pins like T3 and Dirty Harry that I have never played before. Great line up and the machines are in super condition.

#1222 7 years ago
    Quoted from pingod:

Alan Miller,end list

Alan Miller in Calgary?

#1223 7 years ago
    Quoted from puck:

Alan Miller in Calgary?

Yea,trying to make him work more
    He does an excellent job on a game to.

#1224 7 years ago
    Quoted from puck:

Tim. </endlist>

Nope - not about to do a "HEP style", way too much work. Beside IMHO games are to be played, does it really matter how shiny it is on inside where you can't see it (as long as it is nice on the outside and functional)?

Thanks though...

#1225 7 years ago
    Quoted from violinfather:

Thanks to NinJaBooT for the evening of free pinball at Lucky Lounge. It was awesome. Nice to play some pins like T3 and Dirty Harry that I have never played before. Great line up and the machines are in super condition.

I agree, that was great. I played Dirty Harry there a week or so before but it was great to try some of the ones that weren't up and running when I was there the first time and T3.

#1226 7 years ago
    Quoted from LongJohns:

Thanks though...

Well you do good work. Don't sell yourself short. Meticulous some would say.

#1227 7 years ago

Doing full restorations make sense if you are going to keep the game or get paid an arm and a leg to do them. I spent close to 600 hours on a WCS that I thought I was going to keep. I got the game for $3000ish, then bought roughly $1200-$1500 of parts and charged $5900 for it. So I paid myself $1400-$1700 which comes up to about $2.33-2.83 per hour.

Come to think of it I might end up selling all my equipment to do restores as I don't see myself ever doing them again. It adds up..

- Breathing system $500
    - Compressor $500
    - Turbine HVLP System $650
    - HVLP Gun $80
    - Orbital sander $80
    - Tumbler $500
    - Desoldering station $400
    - Sandpapers ($100) per restore
    - Buffing Motor $350
    - Buffing Wheels ($50) per restore
    - ultrasonic cleaner = $400
    - Airbrush $100
    - Airbrush compressor $150
    - Createx Paint $50
    - Frisket ($15) per job
    - Exacto and blades $10

Minimum investment to do full restores = $3975.

And all the damn extra parts that you order. It's never ending. I'd restore another game if someone would be willing to give me $4000+ cash for my time + cost of parts and even that would not cover minimum wage.

Just to give you an idea
    https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/wcs-restoration-journal

#1228 7 years ago

I spent a ton of time and money on my TOTAN over the years and it is still lacking powdercoat or anodizing on the trim, and the cabinet has some fade. To get to a true collectors quality involves so much that I just don't know how a lot of people could justify it. For me, it was always about doing those things so I could learn more about the machine...yet I still come across stuff all the time that I have no idea where to even start diagnosing the problem. That being said, I'm a hell of a lot better at it than I was a couple years ago, and that is because I tinkered. So for me "restoration" has never been about making the game 100%, just doing stuff for fun so that I learn a bit more.

#1229 7 years ago

It's like comparing your hot rod that you take the local cruise night every Thursday to the concours level restoration that you'd never dare drive except for the most perfect of weather days and then only a few miles for fear of getting it splattered with bugs.

Sure, the full restorations are beautiful, but after you spend the 600 hours and $1500 (not including equipment) I'd be afraid to pay it and ruin all of that hard work and money.

#1230 7 years ago

Hi friendly Canadians !
    My little brother (27) has packed his bags and is making the move to Edmonton (I would have picked somewhere with better weather then Ireland!).
    Anyways he's going to be all alone for the first 4/5 weeks.
    If any one here fancies fancies showing him around for an hour or even dropping him an email with some info that would be great!
    Hes a good guy and plays a bit of pinball too
    He just left Dublin for New York and will be flying to Edmonton on the 20th .

Dave

Edit
    Hes also a graphic designer looking for work

#1231 7 years ago

Damn, If I was in Edmonton I'd have a pint of Guinness on St. Paddy's with him.. tell him Cheers! & welcome to Canada

#1232 7 years ago
    Quoted from urbanledge:

Hi friendly Canadians !
    My little brother (27) has packed his bags and is making the move to Edmonton (I would have picked somewhere with better weather then Ireland!).
    If any one here fancies fancies showing him around for an hour or even dropping him an email with some info that would be great!
    Dave
    Edit

I did this for a guy from Australia when he came to visit for a week . Brought him out to League Night . Made his trip !

#1233 7 years ago
    Quoted from urbanledge:

Hi friendly Canadians !
    Dave
    Edit

Tell him to come sub in the die hard pinball league. There's lots of great people to get to know there.

#1234 7 years ago

give BCRAGE88 a PM , he runs the edmonton pinball league

#1235 7 years ago

The next league night is Tuesday March 21 at Lucky's lounge..

#1236 7 years ago

Thanks for the replys and emails!
    I'll be taking to him in the next day or two when he gets to NYC.
    Hopefully he makes his flight Monday morning
    I'll be relieved when he actually gets to Edmonton!!!!!! (so will my mother!)

you guys have some nice location pinball,well jealous.

#1237 7 years ago

Does anyone own a Full Throttle? If so, how are you liking it? I played it a bit last May at YEGPin and enjoyed it.

Is anyone in on Alien?

#1238 7 years ago
    Quoted from shaub:

Does anyone own a Full Throttle? If so, how are you liking it? I played it a bit last May at YEGPin and enjoyed it.
    Is anyone in on Alien?

Talk to Frolic I'll assume he will have both.

#1239 7 years ago

I have one and I love it...great flow, lots of multi balls. Everyone that plays it seems to really likes it. No alien yet, we will see what is required to swap out the PFs.

Quoted from shaub:

Is anyone in on Alien?

#1240 7 years ago
    Quoted from algrande:

I have one and I love it...great flow, lots of multi balls. Everyone that plays it seems to really likes it. No alien yet, we will see what is required to swap out the PFs.

Alien! Get the kit! Alien! Get the kit!

#1241 7 years ago

I'd wait a year or two for Alien, it has a long way to go. No one on the planet has ever said that early run pinball machines are better. Especially from a relatively new manufacturer.

Freezie has owned a Full Throttle for a while and is a good guy.

Anyone going for AFMR? It's a known quantity (a highly rated pin and faithful reproduction) and supposedly shipping relatively soon. Superpinball posted that he's in.

#1242 7 years ago

I am in on an Alien LE. It's my number one dream theme, and it looks like a really great shooter. I just wish there was more Geiger inspiration on it (though, we'll see once the LE art is revealed). Don't own a Full Throttle, but I enjoyed playing it at YEGpin last year.

#1243 7 years ago
    Quoted from shaub:

Is anyone in on Alien?

I have one and love it , super flowy and quick , well made . Eventually I will have an alien kit for sure .

#1244 7 years ago
    Quoted from dzoomer:

Anyone going for AFMR? It's a known quantity (a highly rated pin and faithful reproduction) and supposedly shipping relatively soon. Superpinball posted that he's in.

Quoted from shaub:

Is anyone in on Alien?

I've played Al's Full Throttle, and played the one they had at Yegpin. Not a big fan of the theme, but the pin has great flow and lots of nice shots. I plan on getting an Alien (standard, with the 27"). Depending on pricing AFMR is a maybe. Looking forward to the official pricing announcement next week.

#1245 7 years ago

Posting up the Flinstones I picked up from earflaps in the for sale thread. Happy to keep it local. Great restored machine. Cool theme. Some details here. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-in-canada-have-any-pins-they-want-to-sell/page/125#post-3661148

WP_20170318_23_49_44_Pro (2) (resized).jpgWP_20170318_23_49_44_Pro (2) (resized).jpg

#1246 7 years ago

Is there a color dmd for flintstones? That would look amazing in color. Amazing amount of work Curtis put into it. Would love to try it when I'm by you? I bring beer

#1247 7 years ago

Made it to Pokey's Pinball Cafe in Saskatoon yesterday and I could talk on and on about the amazing line up of pins on location!! But, I will mention the food first! So, effin' goood! I had the Cuban burger (to start!) Hand made beef patty, and a fried egg on top! I didn't put it down after I bit into the egg! The sweet potatoe fries were amazing too! Not heavy and greasy..also took home a traditional Cuban sandwich for lunch today! Took a bite of that too and the pork was damn good! Can't wait for lunch! Oh, and Nokomis IPA on tap too! Oh ya, 8 amazing pins ALL playing perfect! Good crowd, good food, goooood times

#1248 7 years ago

Just stumbled across this thread (because dzoomer put this link on the canada sale thread. Nice reading and nice to use this for networking. It so freakin' hard to find anything for sale or something I would like to work on in the prairies. next to nothing usually.

#1249 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dee-Bow:

Good crowd, good food, goooood times

Thanks man! Sorry I missed ya. Next time!

#1250 7 years ago

Anyone in Calgary have a few hex spacers they can send my way? I don't really know what sizes I need. Probably 1 3 inch or longer

http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/02-4252-56

and a couple of 2 inch ones (GOT/Stern flasher spacers above slingshots). I would be happy to pick up and trade for a 6 pack

PM Me!

There are 4,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 25 of 95.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/canadian-pinballers-thread-chat-here/page/25 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.