(Topic ID: 137778)

The Canadian Pinhead Thread. What's Up?!

By Jeekayjay

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,733 posts
  • 298 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 months ago by Deleenhe
  • Topic is favorited by 196 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0368 (resized).JPG
    20231031_105232.jpg
    20231031_105149.jpg
    20231031_105152.jpg
    20231031_105214.jpg
    20231031_105211.jpg
    20231031_105220.jpg
    20231031_105209.jpg
    20231031_105158.jpg
    20231031_105207.jpg
    20231031_110908.jpg
    IMG_5584 (resized).jpeg
    IMG-20231006-WA0010.jpg
    82eifj (resized).jpg
    IMG_0432 (resized).jpeg
    IMG_0078 (resized).JPG
    There are 4,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 95.
    #601 8 years ago

Thought I'd see everyone's thoughts on color dmd's. I've tried the following games:
    Metallica.
    Iron Man.
    Ac/dc.
    Star trek next gen.
    I'd really like to try Twilight Zone and Roadshow, Tron and Addams Family.
    What have you guys played and your thoughts?
    I love them and wish we could get them cheaper.

#602 8 years ago
    Quoted from hollywood:

I have an immense desire for ghostbusters.....25 years ago though!
    I really wish Stern (whom I have no problems with) would take the time to create an "original" game again.
    Maybe it would even lessen the prices here in Canada because they wouldn't have to pay for theme licensing!

Even if Stern would come up with an original non license title do you honestly think Stern would lower their price and give back to the people.

I don't think price will come down anytime soon non license just mean more profit for them

#603 8 years ago

Really like color dmds but don't have any. One of the last mods for me, and at current prices only on super favorite keeper pins.

Here's a recent pic and the first to share of my pin room, basic but enough space. Excuse the crappy quality, at least the overall framing is interesting. I'm really enjoying a new addition. Cheers.

V__F427_(resized).jpgV__F427_(resized).jpg

#604 8 years ago
    Quoted from pingod:

5% GST in Alberta,other provinces pay more HST instead.

Yeah sask is 5% gst and 5%pst . Not as good as Alberta , not as bad as other provinces .

#605 8 years ago

Have color dmd on AC/DC, MET, Avengers and Tron.

Love it

Met I think is the best, the dots are very good

They need to do it for twd, dots are incredible too

#606 8 years ago
    Quoted from Darth_Chris:

Have color dmd on AC/DC, MET, Avengers and Tron.
    Love it
    Met I think is the best, the dots are very good
    They need to do it for twd, dots are incredible too

Nice.

Newer pins ime have cooler dots lending themselves to a color dmd, and TWD has ime the best dots I've ever seen.

#607 8 years ago

Met is the best for sure. Lotr is really awesome too

#608 8 years ago

Addams looks great as well. Can't go wrong with the color DMD. Great to look at. Too bad the exchange rate sucks!!

#609 8 years ago

I currently have the colordmd in Afm,Metallica,And TAF.
    Nice addition for sure.
    Definately want it for GOTLE and TWDLE

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#610 8 years ago
    Quoted from str8cash:

Thought I'd see everyone's thoughts on color dmd's. I've tried the following games:
    Metallica.
    Iron Man.
    Ac/dc.
    Star trek next gen.
    I'd really like to try Twilight Zone and Roadshow, Tron and Addams Family.
    What have you guys played and your thoughts?
    I love them and wish we could get them cheaper.

Iron Man looks great with a colour DMD. I would like to get one for Metallica though. It has great dots.

#611 8 years ago

I have color dmd's in Tales Of The Arabian Nights, Judge Dredd and I just picked one up for my Tron (but haven't installed yet). TOTAN is phenomenal with cdmd, it really makes that game shine and fits with it perfectly. Gov did a great job coloring the dots on Judge Dredd, and as a fan of the original comics, the palette he chose is spot on. Tron, from the videos I've seen (having not installed yet), looks good, but isn't nearly as necessary, though it will be a fun game to play around with different display modes. I think the nice thing about cdmd is that it really helps bring a clarity to the existing dots by giving some contrast, which makes it easier to quickly look at the display and still get all the info. Besides that, they look better and they certainly make the games more attractive and modern looking. I agree with pingod, GOT will really benefit from a cdmd, as it is showing a lot of detailed stuff that could use some more contrast to make it pop.

Is it worth the money? No, but I still will buy one for every game I own because they make the game look better and pinball is visual entertainment. That and you can always keep it and swap in the factory display if you decide to sell.

#612 8 years ago

Ok lets talk seriously, I understand that exchange rate blablabla.

What is today's price in canadian dollar for a NIB stern pro premium LE

Gave a few calls and cannot understand why, in canada, there is such increase in price for a premium

#613 8 years ago

Couldnt agree more, I laughed and hung up after one phone call today.

#614 8 years ago

No bs here guys we are ordinary people with an urge to spend money and dose our economy so legally we can talk prices here without naming People

I cannot understand why such in increase in Premiums compare to the other models ?

Exchange rate should affect any models with same percentage

LE, I could accept an unreachable amount but now Premium's are getting away from pro and closer to LE prices

Come on

#615 8 years ago

Nitro is asking 7100 USD for GB Premium which works out to about 11k.

#616 8 years ago

Ouch. That's messed up. Still cheaper than a Lebowski!

#617 8 years ago

I heard 12000 canadian for LE

#618 8 years ago

Thats nuts

#619 8 years ago

If it's 7100 usd here, what is it in the states?

Don't forget nitro and John's jukes get their games from starburst. Starburst is the ones controlling the prices in Canada as they are the ones getting them from stern directly.

#620 8 years ago
    Quoted from Darth_Chris:

I heard 12000 canadian for LE

I was told $8300-8500 US for a LE. I tried calling Nitro all day but could'nt get through. Id love to add this title but this is getting crazy.

#621 8 years ago

It makes my metle from 2 1/2 years ago look like a steal with the price increases and the dollar.

#622 8 years ago

I read the matrix but is there any major gameplay differences between the versions like in GoT?

#623 8 years ago

slimer moves sideways and blocks the ramp, extra ramp, the hologram ghosts

#624 8 years ago

The pop up rollover standup targets just came to mind. Those are what I'd miss the most I think...

#625 8 years ago

There's no extra ramp. Just that the way the right ramp works is different.

#626 8 years ago

Ok right. Well it makes a big difference it comes back to left flipper instead of everything just to the right flipper

#627 8 years ago

Different ramp
    Goggles ghost thing
    Slimer goes side to side
    Electromagnet slings
    Few better moulded buildings rather than flat plastics
    And some artwork

Cool stuff for sure but worth the 3-4k extra? Not really that gameplay changing, if I get one I think it would be a pro..

#628 8 years ago
    Quoted from Darth_Chris:

No bs here guys we are ordinary people with an urge to spend money and dose our economy so legally we can talk prices here without naming People
    I cannot understand why such in increase in Premiums compare to the other models ?
    Exchange rate should affect any models with same percentage
    LE, I could accept an unreachable amount but now Premium's are getting away from pro and closer to LE prices
    Come on

Yep. I get having to pay the exchange rate, it is what it is. But for some reason a NIB pin in Canada will cost you at least $600 to $700 USD more than people are paying in the States. Its crazy. My guess is Starburst is pretty comfortable with their markup given they have no competition in Canada.

#629 8 years ago
    Quoted from libtech:

Different ramp

2 different ramps - I love the right ramp on the Pre/LE. Reminds me of the Jack the Monkey ramp on Pirates. Ball will come back fast to the left flipper. On the Pro it will be coming back to the right flipper.

Also, the scoop on the right with the subway.

Playfield rails instead of pegs (not a huge deal).

I'm really curious about the magnetic slings. Will quiet the pin a bit without those coils going off, and could be used for some neat effects.

But you are right, the price bump is hard to swallow. Over 10K landed for a Premium, compared to under 8K for a Pro.

#630 8 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

But for some reason a NIB pin in Canada will cost you at least $600 to $700 USD more than people are paying in the States. Its crazy. My guess is Starburst is pretty comfortable with their markup given they have no competition in Canada.

Some of that can be explained by Customs Fee's, but not that much of an increase.

#631 8 years ago
    Quoted from libtech:

Different ramp
    Goggles ghost thing
    Slimer goes side to side
    Electromagnet slings
    Few better moulded buildings rather than flat plastics
    And some artwork
    Cool stuff for sure but worth the 3-4k extra? Not really that gameplay changing, if I get one I think it would be a pro..

Going to have to disagree with you on this one

I think the Ecto Goggles, subway ramp (underground lock, balls spit out when containment is breached sounds very cool) and magnet slings make it a Premium for me if I end up with one.

If anyone hasn't yet I'd recommend listening to Nate's latest Coast to Coast Pinball podcast with Jody, some good discussion on gameplay features in there.

#632 8 years ago
    Quoted from smokedog:

Some of that can be explained by Customs Fee's, but not that much of an increase.

Maybe some, but I would have to guess less than a hundred. The last time I brought a pin up from the States, I think about three years ago, it cost me $75CDN in customs fees, and that was as a non-business. There is no duty on pins, so if they are paying more than that just to get someone to do their customs paperwork I would say they are doing it wrong.

#633 8 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

Maybe some, but I would have to guess less than a hundred.

Agreed. I have not checked with my sales guy yet on pricing, but I assume it is close to what people have been quoted.

#634 8 years ago

Not supporting Starburst pricing, but I am sure they are not paying what US distributors pay. Pretty sure Stern will tack on extra to their
    pricing for shipping to Canada. Which is past on to us.

#635 8 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

Going to have to disagree with you on this one
    I think the Ecto Goggles, subway ramp (underground lock, balls spit out when containment is breached sounds very cool) and magnet slings make it a Premium for me if I end up with one.
    If anyone hasn't yet I'd recommend listening to Nate's latest Coast to Coast Pinball podcast with Jody, some good discussion on gameplay features in there.

Sweet I hope you get one, you may have to let me pop over sometime to try it!

The pro has the same lock, its just built into the ramp with a mag diverter and then it has the kicker on the pf not under, the subway is way cooler though.. the goggles do look sweet too, just as mentioned a pro is 7k, and a prem is 10k (plus taxes) so is it worth the price difference is all.. it would be different if it was only ~1k, but its more like 3k for a prem. so its something to think on..

Either way, I hope it plays well, because it looks great so far, they have done a great job

#636 8 years ago

I'm leaning towards a premium, but until I see gameplay and hear the game in action, I can't say for sure whether it's something I want to own or that I'm just excited to play. The art looks great, the playfield layout seems pretty solid, but those are things I could say about WOZ and that game just felt absolutely dead and dull to me (though, theme didn't help on that one, GB has the advantage of actually appealing to me). Given that, I'm fine with waiting a while and hoping the exchange rate bounces back. I'm not holding my breathe, but who knows. I'm still 100% in for Alien, despite GB having better art, and either way, it's gonna hurt the wallet.

#637 8 years ago
    Quoted from aeonblack:

Given that, I'm fine with waiting a while and hoping the exchange rate bounces back. I'm not holding my breathe, but who knows. I'm still 100% in for Alien, despite GB having better art, and either way, it's gonna hurt the wallet.

Exchange at 0.76 today, let's hope it keeps going.

#638 8 years ago

GBLE is going to be crazy expensive in Canada. However, I don't see the dollar recovering significantly for multiple years and there is huge demand in the US, and it appears most if not all LE's are already gone. Seems to me that an LE buyer here likely won't take much of a hit when selling. It will be just money tied up in a pinball machine.

The beauty of the prem is there is no rush to buy. Wait and see how it plays.

#639 8 years ago
    Quoted from libtech:

Sweet I hope you get one, you may have to let me pop over sometime to try it!

I am about 90% in on a Premium. Just waiting to hear initial gameplay reviews on Pro/LE, luckily they will ship weeks before the Premiums so I have time. I swore to myself I would wait for a pin to be out for at least a year before I bought NIB, but the initial reveal was so impressive I have high hopes. And I really want a new pin. Sold three last year so I have pinball money burning a hole in my pocket

#640 8 years ago
    Quoted from paul_8788:

Exchange at 0.76 today, let's hope it keeps going.

That's what the dollar is at. Exchange was 1.41 yesterday when I placed a order from comet:/

#641 8 years ago
    Quoted from str8cash:

That's what the dollar is at. Exchange was 1.41 yesterday when I placed a order from comet:/

Visa has theirs posted for today at 1.34 (excluding any bank fees), so that seems high to me, unless I am missing something.

#642 8 years ago

It's all relative. We just need to get over it tbh. Your 7k pro will still be worth close to that when you sell it or trade it in. Only way you will lose any real money is if dollar changes by 20 or more points or you buy a turd like wwe and the price of the game drops as its undesirable.

#643 8 years ago

Anyone in Calgary have Earthshaker I could try by chance. Would like to try it out after 20 years of not playing it and they would be more than welcome to try my pins as well.

#644 8 years ago
    Quoted from TBatti:

Anyone in Calgary have Earthshaker I could try by chance. Would like to try it out after 20 years of not playing it and they would be more than welcome to try my pins as well.

My buddy Mike in Battleford has one. It's fun.

#645 8 years ago

Has anyone had a good buying experience with Bob at tps? I'm just looking for one good reference and haven't found any.

#646 8 years ago
    Quoted from silverball0:

Not supporting Starburst pricing, but I am sure they are not paying what US distributors pay. Pretty sure Stern will tack on extra to their
    pricing for shipping to Canada. Which is past on to us.

Here are some differences for Canada. Shipping, and do not forget the C.S.A. testing, C.S.A. certification on new manufactured consumer goods must add something to the cost of each pin destine for Canada, unless U.L. testing is the exact same.

#647 8 years ago
    Quoted from str8cash:

Has anyone had a good buying experience with Bob at tps? I'm just looking for one good reference and haven't found any.

Bob is a nice guy,but most of his games are overpriced for what you get.
    If his tech went through it,your better off passing on the game.

Mostly routed games needing a lot of attention.
    Still has the odd good deal though,takes a lot of nice games in on trade to.

#648 8 years ago

Anyone know the history on the monopoly he has for sale?

#650 8 years ago

I would have no issue on buying anything from TPS as long as you go into with the following.

1. The majority of machines are overpriced by at least $500, this is called a profit margin as he is running a business unlike us collectors.
    2. The majority of machines are not clean most are at least mechanically sound but you WILL need to do work on them if you want to get them back to playing shape.
    3. He charges GST he has to it is a business.
    4. He doesn't really negotiate his pricing he feels he can get what he gets so do not feel discouraged if he tells you he won't go down in price.
    5. Buyer beware most of the games are routed, things like plastics, coils, rubbers and others may need to be replaced, in other words you might have to put some investment into them.

Other than that Bob is a descent guy who is just trying to run a business, either you get that or you don't and go elsewhere

Quoted from str8cash:

There are 4,733 posts in this topic. You are on page 13 of 95.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/canadian-pinballers-thread-chat-here/page/13 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.