Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by mwong168
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 9 years ago

With the weakness of our dollar, NIB Stern Pro are now going for 6300$ + tx. I've also read several comments from Canadian collectors here and on other forums stating they wouldn't buy NIB anymore.

The secondary market is also affected as buying used games in the US is not really an option anymore unless you're willing to pay a 25% overhead + tx.

What's going to be the effect on the Canadian market? I guess new titles will get pretty hard to find on the secondary market. Is another price hike to be expected on used machines in Canada?

#2 9 years ago

Prices are going to go up. Preowned machines are being sold to US buyers

#3 9 years ago

^ you got it.

#4 9 years ago
    Quoted from c2scanada:

Prices are going to go up. Preowned machines are being sold to US buyers

Indeed. Canadian pins are becoming an even nicer deal for US buyers...

#5 9 years ago

That's the nature of it.

When the Canadian dollar strengthens don't expect the NIB prices to mirror the US price equivalent right away either. It seems that whenever the dollar recovers it takes forever for prices of new products to fall in line with the US median pricing.

Bottom line is that the Canadian pinball hobbyist marketplace is going to be bleak for the foreseeable future. Even if you find a nice project machine locally it will cost you a small fortune to restore/shop depending on the parts you need to purchase and have shipped up from the States.

It's an unfortunate time.

#6 9 years ago
    Quoted from wspy:

I've also read several comments from Canadian collectors here and on other forums stating they wouldn't buy NIB anymore.

Many collectors are not buying NIB because the code is never complete and in some cases downright "broken". It can take 2-3 years before decent code is made.
    Don't discount the Canadian economy. Canadian income is still quite strong and the avrage home prices are still higher than that of the United States. Average in Toronto now has hit over 1 million. Canadians have good salaries with lots of equity in their homes. An extra $1500 for a pin that they really like is a drop in the bucket. I am still getting my MMr despite it probably costing me $12000.

#7 9 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

Don't discount the Canadian economy.

Lol. The Canadian economy has discounted the Canadian economy, and that's just the reality of it at the moment.

I can't speak for all Canadians, but I guess I'm the 1% that does NOT feel like an extra $1,500 for a pin that I want is just a "drop in the bucket".

#8 9 years ago

Well, on the flip side, every pin you currently own has significantly risen in value.

#9 9 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Well, on the flip side, every pin you currently own has significantly risen in value.

Yeah, true. lol

That only goes so far though. I like to trade or sell to finance the next project which gets more difficult when new projects become priced out of feasibility. But it is what it is. It's certainly not the first time the dollar has tanked and it won't be the last.

#10 9 years ago

It'll definitely be the most difficult for someone new to the hobby, the acquisition phase is so expensive. Once you max out and are just trading up, there isn't as much to spend.

#11 9 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

It'll definitely be the most difficult for someone new to the hobby, the acquisition phase is so expensive. Once you max out and are just trading up, there isn't as much to spend.

Yeah. Not exactly true right now when in the market for a NIB though. As far as I can see, preowned machines prices have not changed that much yet, at least when compared to the price hike on NIB...

I guess it's a matter of time...

#12 9 years ago

We will definitely lose lots of our used pins to American buyers. Be a very slow time for nib purchases as well. Best solution is to simply trade used games or be happy with what you have.

#13 9 years ago

There's like literally 2-3 new pins worth buying in the last 5 years. I see nothing on the horizon worth buying, so I couldn't care less about that anyway.

As for used, I think you are jumping the gun as to how many will end up going to the US. Things will continue with about the normal price increase across the board.

I've never seen as many "sky is falling" scenarios as I have with pinball.

#14 9 years ago

This is hardly new - back when I started collecting the dollar was less than $.70US. It was no problem then, you just didn't buy games new!

#15 9 years ago
    Quoted from Atomicboy:

There's like literally 2-3 new pins worth buying in the last 5 years. I see nothing on the horizon worth buying, so I couldn't care less about that anyway.

Yeah, pretty much the same for me until recently with the rumours about a potential LOTR VE and GOT... But considering the kind of price tags they'll probably command, I'm not sure I'll be in anymore...

#16 9 years ago
    Quoted from extraballingtmc:

We will definitely lose lots of our used pins to American buyers. Be a very slow time for nib purchases as well. Best solution is to simply trade used games or be happy with what you have.

Yes it was very sad to see all the Canadian pins go south in the early 2000's. Looks like it's going to happen again...

#17 9 years ago

Just about everyone I know says that Hobbit or MMR will be the last NIB's they buy until the $ rallies, and that's only because they paid a substantial part of it back when it was much stronger. The reality is to add close to $400 to every $1000 on a US price, that's just psychologically paralyzing after only a couple of years ago we were getting a premium on our buck. It doesn't help either that customs seems to be much tighter on charging tax at the border than they used to be.

#18 9 years ago

Any pinball reasonably priced in Canada right now sells fast. More people are getting into this hobby here lately and less machines available. B&C titles will continue to skyrocket as that is what most newbies price ranges are. Once MMR and Hobbit are released A titles will no longer be on the rise as the market will be flooded with premium pins.

#19 9 years ago
    Quoted from HoneyBadger:

Once MMR and Hobbit are released A titles will no longer be on the rise as the market will be flooded with premium pins.

I agree with you there, we need some really fun games to fill the market. The reason these a-list games command such a high price is because we have not had as many super fun new pins to flood the market. Titles like Wrestlemania will ensure that the old A-list titles command a super high price. You would need to pay me a dollar to play that pin.

#20 9 years ago

For me its so rare that a newer pin is a must have that I'm not concerned. If anything its opened a new world of machines to me as I'm looking at 80's stuff and even considering trying out the EM's so with the exception of Hobbit which I payed for already and Aliens LE and Predator if that happens I doubt anything will be worthy of NIB status anytime soon. 7K for a Stern pro means 0K for a Stern pro.

#21 9 years ago

I think a lot of "new" game sales will be for stuff comming off route at the playdium store. WWE will hit movie theaters arcades and a bunch of mustang games will hit the market at reasonable prices. It will be the roll over of new games on route feeding the new game market. NIB sales north of the border might slump until the doller improves.

#22 9 years ago

It could be a problem for me to purchase Pinball Circus,I hope that our dollar will be stronger by then

#23 9 years ago

It's certainly a lot harder to get deals now. There was a Jungle Lord on Kijiji yesterday for $400 that was gone in 30 minutes!

#24 9 years ago
    Quoted from jwilson:

It's certainly a lot harder to get deals now. There was a Jungle Lord on Kijiji yesterday for $400 that was gone in 30 minutes!

well, if it makes you feel better (and given the exchange rate, it probably doesn't), but good deals don't exactly fall out of trees around here either...

#25 9 years ago
    Quoted from Hazoff:

For me its so rare that a newer pin is a must have that I'm not concerned.

lol whatever, haven't you bought virtually everything new in the last couple years

Quoted from VGC1612:

It could be a problem for me to purchase Pinball Circus,I hope that our dollar will be stronger by then

This game is a novelty at best. 10 plays and move on. Looks cool, that was the hook, but b/w realised it was not going to get played and canned it.

#26 9 years ago

Even the prices on parts and mods...I just got my Color DMD delivered yesterday. Total to my door $631 CDN with shipping, exchange and taxes!

#27 9 years ago

Is this the correct thread to ask "What is for sale in CAN?"

I am definately interested in what is north for the first time in pin buying.

Anyone selling? My understanding is that I don't have to pay any tax/import fees since the pins were originally made in US?

#28 9 years ago
    Quoted from Whysnow:

Is this the correct thread to ask "What is for sale in CAN?"
    I am definately interested in what is north for the first time in pin buying.
    Anyone selling? My understanding is that I don't have to pay any tax/import fees since the pins were originally made in US?

There is a thread here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anybody-in-canada-have-any-pins-they-want-to-sell

I know of another one, but cant find it.

Also, I may have a POTO for sale if you are interested. Pm is your friend.

#29 9 years ago
    Quoted from SuperPinball:

Canadian income is still quite strong and the avrage home prices are still higher than that of the United States. Average in Toronto now has hit over 1 million. Canadians have good salaries with lots of equity in their homes. An extra $1500 for a pin that they really like is a drop in the bucket. I am still getting my MMr despite it probably costing me $12000.

You do realize that these overly "strong prices and salaries" are the reason the Canadian dollar is declining, right? Compared to other economies, they are over-inflated, and this is a correction in the national market. I'm not sure I'd be tooting the strong CAN earnings and real estate at the moment. LOL.

#30 9 years ago
    Quoted from Pinball-Wiz:

You do realize that these overly "strong prices and salaries" are the reason the Canadian dollar is declining, right? Compared to other economies, they are over-inflated, and this is a correction in the national market. I'm not sure I'd be tooting the strong CAN earnings and real estate at the moment. LOL.

No, it's because Canada is stronger with the dollar being around the 70 cent mark of the USD. Most manufacturing work is from the states, and with the dollar at par, we lost a lot of that work, as there was no reason for US companies to send to Canada when they could have it done for the same price in the US.

Our economy needed the dollar back to where it was before, for this sector. It sucks for pinball, but our economy is built around a heavy relationship with the states based on lower cost contracts.

The insane increase in housing in most areas (take the frozen ice cap of most of Alberta) baffles the mind, but it was doing that well before the dollar gained on the USD.

#31 9 years ago
    Quoted from Tkaye:

Even the prices on parts and mods...I just got my Color DMD delivered yesterday. Total to my door $631 CDN with shipping, exchange and taxes!

My PMD Creech LCD mod cost me about the same too

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/canadian-pinball-market-future and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.