Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 9 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by Mitch
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

#1 5 years ago

Hey all,

I've looked through the forum and on the Government of Canada website but I can't locate an answer... That being said I'm pretty sure I'd still have to pay the 15% duty.

Scenario: If you travel to the US and bring a used pinball machine back into Canada yourself do you pay duty? What taxes are payable?

Answer as of Apr-2019:

Machines manufactured in Canada or US are duty free. Made in the US sticker/stamp will help.

1. 24 hrs in the US
First $200 in spending tax free and duty free
2. 48 hrs in the US
First $800 in spending tax free and duty free
3. Anything over $800 in value you will be charged remaining tax (and/or duty on if applicable).

Math Example: $1,800 in spending (machine) - $800 (tax free) = $1,000 remaining to be tax ---> $150 tax (15% HST)

#2 5 years ago

I had a Road Show shipped to the border and I drove down and picked it up. I wasn’t charged any duty but I did have to pay the tax. In Manitoba, it is 13% which is 5% GST and 8% PST but depending on where the game crosses into Canada, that PST rate could be different.
Because the game was made in the USA, there shouldn’t be any duties applied to the game.

#3 5 years ago

I drove down south to Washington state and purchased a game about 6 weeks ago..the game cost me $800 American. When I got to the border, I declared the value of the pin, and ended up getting charged $125 Canadian to bring it across..I’m not sure if it’s a % of the goods your bringing back or...

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from hwyhed:

I drove down south to Washington state and purchased a game about 6 weeks ago..the game cost me $800 American. When I got to the border, I declared the value of the pin, and ended up getting charged $125 Canadian to bring it across..I’m not sure if it’s a % of the goods your bringing back or...

1042 cad , 12% BC tax, $125. Checks out.

#5 5 years ago

I’ve imported quite a few pins from the US into Canada - before i moved of course. No duty on pins provided they were made in the US (which the majority are).

You will have to pay taxes on the declared value (after converted to CDN dollars). Minus your allowance which depends how long you were away.

I’ve never had any issues. Nor have i gotten any free crossings. I bring something written from the seller about how much i paid,some contact info. Hell it can be written on a cocktail napkin, it does not have to be too fancy. Just be reasonable. They have the internet. So bringing across an MM declared at 500 dollars might not fly.

#6 5 years ago

Thanks a bunch guys this really helps! Now... If the Canadian dollar would recover!!

#7 5 years ago

I just brought a Shaq Attaq across the border on Friday. The border staff were very easy to deal with. I was charged pst and gst, which is 13% in Manitoba. I paid $220 Canadian and was on my way home after that.

#8 5 years ago

From what I can gather. There should be no Duty charged on Pinball machines. GST and PST or HST are going to be charged. No Duty applies to items brought across as 'personal use only', that is current under NAFTA. The pinball machines have to be labelled as 'Made in the USA', so those pins made in Spain, or Japan, or China, will have Duty.

#9 5 years ago

Bought a breakshot in Allentown this year. Had to pay HST tax on my purchase. No duty.

And 24hrs $200 tax and duty free
48 hrs $800 tax and duty free.
Anything over $800 you will be charged tax and/or duty on if applicable. But $800 is - from that total prior to calculating.

#10 5 years ago

Yup I've brought back at least half a dozen, just charged tax on Canadian exchange value.
Waved through on a few.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/canadian-duty-on-used-machines and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.