(Topic ID: 272311)

Canadian Border Headache

By dppe

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Scott_the_Dick.JPG (1) (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider _xizor.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#33 3 years ago

Not a lot of love for the seller in the thread, but here’s a perspective from a guy who’s been in this spot many times before as a buyer and seller of pinballs, arcades and other large things.

Border is open for shipping.

Buyer needs to pay for shipping to get it out of there. They can pay and ship to a storage unit worst case. They probably don’t want to pay to ship to Canada because of cost / customs. Figured they could save shipping to family and haul across border themselves later.

Free storage for 90+ days from the seller shouldn’t be an expectation unless agreed on up front preferably, but at least mutually under all circumstances.

Being a Canadian who buys massive and odd stuff from the states all of the time, I’ve never expected a seller to spend more than a week or so dealing with holding the item without explicitly agreeing on a plan. If for no other reason than once I’ve paid, legally it’s my issue to deal with. No insurance and little obligation for someone to deal with my problem for me...

Seller could refund and find another buyer, but this hobby isn’t chump change and seller sold for a reason. Could offer to resell and refund original buyer or a dozen other variants of the same solution.

I’m up for the opinion that the buyer paid, 90+ days free storage not agreed on upfront is not the seller issue to deal with anymore. Sounds like seller has been fair and reasonable. Tell buyer to figure it out this week and everyone moves on.

This is a main reason I only buy my pins cash on glass. Even if that means I’m doing a 24+ hour run to get it. It’s a part of the hobby for a Canuck. Crappy times with the border closed to personal travel via roads, but if you’re willing to pay thousands of dollars to buy something you should be willing to pick it up in less that three months or live with the consequences of your actions.

If the seller wants to cave to arguments they should store it indefinitely because someone paid them for it, it sounds like you have some room in your garage for more pins to be stored for free. Just let me know when I can start shipping stuff there and I’ll let you know when I can pickup sometime in the next two years.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from dppe:

Michele from STI told me that it could be shipped but the buyer would have to go through a lot of expense to do it and get a special permit to do it. Thanks for your understanding I hope that all my foul mouthed friends will grow up.

Shipping is more expensive than usual right now, but we’re talking an extra 100-150ish to cross border compared to regular rates.

For the “permit” all the buyer needs is a customs broker or to do the clearance paperwork himself online or at boarder crossing on his side which they can get to no problem. It’ll be less than 200, I pay 35-70 bucks depending on which broker. The buyer will also need to pay for the tax on the purchase price at that time. Then they get a Clearance document which would be the “Permit”. The buyer gives the broker clearance documents to STI and it gets delivered.

Again, something any one buying a pinball in the United States from Canada should reasonably be expected to have thought of and know how to do before paying for the pinball.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider _xizor.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/canadian-border-headache?tu=_xizor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.