(Topic ID: 272311)

Canadian Border Headache

By dppe

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Scott_the_Dick.JPG (1) (resized).jpg
    #1 3 years ago

I sold a mint Twilight Zone to an individual in Canada back in March. The good news is he has paid me for the machine already.
    The bad news is that it has been stuck in my garage since March on a pallet which I am unable to move or stand up on end.
    My car has been sitting outside since then and being exposed to all of the elements including sun, wind and hail on two different times. I feel I am being overly generous in storing it for him. I do not have an extra 10 grand to refund him his money and my wife has told me more than once to get the pinball out of our garage. What would someone do in the same
    situation? Please reply with any suggestions other than refunding money. Thanks for your time. Dana

#2 3 years ago

Need more info here. Is it a border closure issue?

And $10K? How nice is this TZ?

Take it off the pallet, stand it up in the corner and wrap it up, and pull your car inside.

We live in weird shit times. Weird shit solutions might be necessary.

#3 3 years ago

I’m actually curious what you think might be another reasonable solution other than to refund the money and sell to someone local so your wife can have her garage back?
    You make it sound like you’re the only one sacrificing anything here. How do you think the buyer must feel being out the entire cost of the game and having nothing?
    How about just setting the game back up in your house until you’re able to ship it?
    You have the buyers money and the game, you’re in a much better position than he is in.

#4 3 years ago

The pinball machine has all the extras if not all, most of the extras. I have very limited space in my garage so there is no room to stand it up on end. I paid over a hundred dollars to have it professionally wrapped. It looks like the Canada border could be closed for over a year or more becaus of the virus. I think it is the buyers turn to pay for storage of their pin.

#5 3 years ago
    Quoted from dppe:

I think it is the buyers turn to pay for storage of their pin.

I think you’re being a complete dick.

#6 3 years ago
    Quoted from dppe:

I think it is the buyers turn to pay for storage of their pin.

You think wrong.
    You made the deal - circumstances beyond both of your control arose. It happens.
    You either suck it up, or refund the cash..pretty simple.

The only time I sold "over the border" I regretted it, so I semi-sympathize...but your name is everything in this hobby and you are bellyaching at simply the wrong time.
    If you spent the money before the game left your possession - bad move....sorry...but - dumb.

#7 3 years ago
    Quoted from pipes:

I think you’re being a complete dick.

Scott_the_Dick.JPG (1) (resized).jpgScott_the_Dick.JPG (1) (resized).jpg

#8 3 years ago

I know travel has been restricted, but I don’t think shipping has been . I just had a playfield shipped from Canada , no problem . The Buyer paid a premium price for your game , I think it’s time you step up and get the game shipped to them Regardless if it cost you a little more .

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from trilogybeer:

I know travel has been restricted, but I don’t think shipping has been . I just had a playfield shipped from Canada , no problem . The Buyer paid a premium price for your game , I think it’s time you step up and get the game shipped to them Regardless if it cost you a little more .

Exactly, man up and stop bitching. Either refund him or pay half for shipping. The buyer didn't do anything wrong.

#10 3 years ago
    Quoted from dppe:

The pinball machine has all the extras if not all, most of the extras. I have very limited space in my garage so there is no room to stand it up on end. I paid over a hundred dollars to have it professionally wrapped. It looks like the Canada border could be closed for over a year or more becaus of the virus. I think it is the buyers turn to pay for storage of their pin.

You’re not going to win this argument. Do the right thing and don’t be a jerk about it.
    Storage? Give me a friggin’ break.

#11 3 years ago
    Quoted from dppe:

I do not have an extra 10 grand to refund him his money and my wife has told me more than once to get the pinball out of our garage.

Get a new wife?

#12 3 years ago

Car cover and/or clean out your garage...

#13 3 years ago

Car cover and/or clean out your garage...

#14 3 years ago

Dont understand the issue , friend in Calgary had a game shipped from USA to Canada , less than a month ago

#15 3 years ago

Yes. Dick move. Refund the money. I feel terrible for the buyer. If you spent the money already that’s your fault. Suck it up and be a man. $100 to wrap a game? Come on man. Seriously.

#16 3 years ago

What was the original shipping plan? What exactly is the problem/restriction? Did a shipping company tell you it is a no go?

#17 3 years ago

He has a sister in Michigan that the buyer was to have it shipped to and he was to pay all expenses related to shipping.
    He now tells me there is no room at his sisters to store it? I have collected for over 20 years and have bought and sold over a dozen pins on here and on RGP. I merely asked for an opinion which I got from several people. I did not ask for insults and to be called names. I posted this a couple months ago and got one persons opinion, but I posted it here a second time in order to get several peoples opinion and have certainly got that so will hold out for the time being. Michele from STI told me that it could be shipped but the buyer would have to go through a lot of expense to do it and get a special permit to do it. Thanks for your understanding I hope that all my foul mouthed friends will grow up.

#18 3 years ago
    Quoted from dppe:

He has a sister in Michigan that the buyer was to have it shipped to and he was to pay all expenses related to shipping.
    He now tells me there is no room at his sisters to store it? I have collected for over 20 years and have bought and sold over a dozen pins on here and on RGP. I merely asked for an opinion which I got from several people. I did not ask for insults and to be called names. I posted this a couple months ago and got one persons opinion, but I posted it here a second time in order to get several peoples opinion and have certainly got that so will hold out for the time being. Michele from STI told me that it could be shipped but the buyer would have to go through a lot of expense to do it and get a special permit to do it. Thanks for your understanding I hope that all my foul mouthed friends will grow up.

So who's the buyer? Member here?

#19 3 years ago

What difference does that make? How does that change anything?

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from dppe:

What difference does that make? How does that change anything?

Mention the name, if your that upset. Two sides the story as they say.

#21 3 years ago

I can't decide if this is real or just some twisted troll post. Either way, highly entertaining.

#22 3 years ago

BTW using "Canadian Border Headache" as your topic.

Meanwhile you stated that it was going to his sister in Michigan. Last I checked that's in the US.

#23 3 years ago

The border is only closed to personal travel should be no issue getting goods shipped across. This whole thing seems like BS.

#24 3 years ago

Sounds like the buyer's original plan of shipping it to his sister fell through and that's not your fault. If you've already spent the money then a refund is not an option. Storing it for three plus months is more than generous, sounds like they need to just pay STI, get the permit and stop inconveniencing you.

#25 3 years ago

You made a mistake spending the money before the machine was in buyers hands.
    Read this post again, it really is spot on.
    -Mike

Quoted from ejg10532626:

You think wrong.
    You made the deal - circumstances beyond both of your control arose. It happens.
    You either suck it up, or refund the cash..pretty simple.
    The only time I sold "over the border" I regretted it, so I semi-sympathize...but your name is everything in this hobby and you are bellyaching at simply the wrong time.
    If you spent the money before the game left your possession - bad move....sorry...but - dumb.

#26 3 years ago

OP, I'm so sorry the Coronovirus epidemic happened to you. It's hard to imagine what that's like.

(Refund)

#27 3 years ago

If a refund is not an option for what ever reason . Talk to the Buyer about selling it for him and move on lesson learned for both.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from Percula:

If a refund is not an option for what ever reason

"Seller" has plenty of other games to sell. Time to be a man is now.

#29 3 years ago

If you ask for an opinion, be prepared to be called out and get some you might not like...

#30 3 years ago

I live in Michigan and have plenty of room to store it for you or the buyer. Lots of people know me around here if you want references. You can have it shipped to my place. Have been a pit stop for several games for others over the yrs. Actually there lots here in Mi who would l store it. Not a big deal.

#31 3 years ago

Car exposed to the elements?? Seriously

#32 3 years ago

Happy wife, happy life. Suck it up and split the shipping/brokerage with the buyer.

#33 3 years ago

Not a lot of love for the seller in the thread, but here’s a perspective from a guy who’s been in this spot many times before as a buyer and seller of pinballs, arcades and other large things.

Border is open for shipping.

Buyer needs to pay for shipping to get it out of there. They can pay and ship to a storage unit worst case. They probably don’t want to pay to ship to Canada because of cost / customs. Figured they could save shipping to family and haul across border themselves later.

Free storage for 90+ days from the seller shouldn’t be an expectation unless agreed on up front preferably, but at least mutually under all circumstances.

Being a Canadian who buys massive and odd stuff from the states all of the time, I’ve never expected a seller to spend more than a week or so dealing with holding the item without explicitly agreeing on a plan. If for no other reason than once I’ve paid, legally it’s my issue to deal with. No insurance and little obligation for someone to deal with my problem for me...

Seller could refund and find another buyer, but this hobby isn’t chump change and seller sold for a reason. Could offer to resell and refund original buyer or a dozen other variants of the same solution.

I’m up for the opinion that the buyer paid, 90+ days free storage not agreed on upfront is not the seller issue to deal with anymore. Sounds like seller has been fair and reasonable. Tell buyer to figure it out this week and everyone moves on.

This is a main reason I only buy my pins cash on glass. Even if that means I’m doing a 24+ hour run to get it. It’s a part of the hobby for a Canuck. Crappy times with the border closed to personal travel via roads, but if you’re willing to pay thousands of dollars to buy something you should be willing to pick it up in less that three months or live with the consequences of your actions.

If the seller wants to cave to arguments they should store it indefinitely because someone paid them for it, it sounds like you have some room in your garage for more pins to be stored for free. Just let me know when I can start shipping stuff there and I’ll let you know when I can pickup sometime in the next two years.

#34 3 years ago

This^^^^ I can see someone expecting you to hold something for a short (reasonable) amount of time but not since March. The argument that it's not the buyers fault is "false" unless the shipping to Michigan as the agreed upon destination is wrong, that is unless you think his sister not having room is any different than the seller not having room to store it. Seems to me that would be the buyers fault however you approach it and shouldn't be a cause for some of the senseless comments made here about the seller.

#35 3 years ago

I am sure the guy who spent $10k on a machine would prefer having it at his place more than having it sitting in your garage. Sadly I see only two choices - either "suck it up" and store it for him until you can get it to him or refund the money.

It isn't the buyers fault this Coronavirus mess has everything screwed up. It isn't your fault either. But all of us need to do what ever it takes during these crazy times to work together. Put yourself in his shoes and think about how you would feel if he wanted to charge you storage after you sent him $10k for a machine.

#36 3 years ago
    Quoted from dppe:

Michele from STI told me that it could be shipped but the buyer would have to go through a lot of expense to do it and get a special permit to do it. Thanks for your understanding I hope that all my foul mouthed friends will grow up.

Shipping is more expensive than usual right now, but we’re talking an extra 100-150ish to cross border compared to regular rates.

For the “permit” all the buyer needs is a customs broker or to do the clearance paperwork himself online or at boarder crossing on his side which they can get to no problem. It’ll be less than 200, I pay 35-70 bucks depending on which broker. The buyer will also need to pay for the tax on the purchase price at that time. Then they get a Clearance document which would be the “Permit”. The buyer gives the broker clearance documents to STI and it gets delivered.

Again, something any one buying a pinball in the United States from Canada should reasonably be expected to have thought of and know how to do before paying for the pinball.

#37 3 years ago

Ship the game and pay the extra to get it over the border. You're still up at least $2k on the TZ.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from _xizor:

Buyer needs to pay for shipping to get it out of there. They can pay and ship to a storage unit worst case. They probably don’t want to pay to ship to Canada because of cost / customs. Figured they could save shipping to family and haul across border themselves later.

Bingo

#39 3 years ago

No room for the machine at the intended destination? He better make room, or buy the bullet and pay to have it shipped elsewhere. Shirley, theres a parcel service close the Canadian border he can have it shipped too.

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from yellowghost:

No room for the machine at the intended destination? He better make room, or buy the bullet and pay to have it shipped elsewhere. Shirley, theres a parcel service close the Canadian border he can have it shipped too.

There are many "crossdock" services available on both sides
    Seems like the seller and buyer are making this harder than it should be!

#41 3 years ago

In future, don't spend the money until you've delivered the goods. That's only 10% moral judgement, and 90% advice to keep you out of awkward and unpleasant situations such as this.

In the present, move some money around so you can refund the buyer. Then sell TZ locally, or at least not cross-border. If your circumstances are such that you simply can't find the money anywhere, then sell a different machine(s) to refund the buyer, and continue to play TZ.

Don't re-sell TZ until the buyer has their 10k back.

It's an uncomfortable position that both you and the buyer are in, but there are lots of reasonable alternatives to get you both out of it.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/canadian-border-headache?hl=canadianpinball and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.