IMG_2156 (resized).JPG
IMG_2155 (resized).JPG
IMG_0010 (resized).JPG
IMG_0008 (resized).JPG
IMG_0009 (resized).JPG
GEDC0072 (resized).JPG
canada dry #4 (resized).jpg
canada dry #1 (resized).jpg
There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

Backglasses are available. Plastics and card tray decals have been repro'd. Drop targets are available. Cabinet stencils availaible. You just need a "Target Alpha" (hopefully a beat one) to sacrifice (hardly a sacrific!) in order to convert to this more desirable version. I have everything I need except a playfield and stencils. I would submit a sanded smooth "Target Alpha" playfield and just have the "Canada Dry" graphics applied to it. No worry about cutting, drilling, routing playfield blanks. This would dramatically cut costs. Anybody with me? Does anyone have the ability to do this? I have spoken with John Greatwich about doing this, but he doesn't have the art file.

#2 6 years ago

Why not just go out and buy the real thing? That's what I did. They all went overseas but I had this game shipped back to me from the Netherlands in 2002.

John

john&canada dry (resized).jpgjohn&canada dry (resized).jpg

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

Why not just go out and buy the real thing? That's what I did. They all went overseas but I had this game shipped back to me from the Netherlands in 2002.
John

It would be nice to own an original one, but I have a tired "TA" in the woodpile and I have everything else to convert it. I wasn't aware until recently that the plastics were repro'd. I managed to get an NOS set, and thought that they would be the next hardest component to find. Now that just about everything else is available, and since "TA"s seem to be growing on trees lately, I thought conversions would be a viable alternative if only someone would repop the playfield.

#4 6 years ago

I'd love a faithful Canada Dry backglass reproduction.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

There are NOS copies floating around here. I don't know how many, but I did get one through another collector.

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

There are NOS copies floating around here. I don't know how many, but I did get one through another collector.

i have a nos bg also, and would love to make a CD out of a TA

#7 6 years ago

With only a hand full of the actual games here in the states I think the chances are pretty slim that a repo playfield would ever happen. NOS plastics and cards were available from PBR for many years but I don't know if he still has any. The drop targets were the hardest thing.....I had to practically bribe Donal Murphy to make me two sets just to help off set his start up cost. Only took about 3-4 years to convince him to make them for me.....LOL.
I paid $600 for the game and around $650ish to have it shipped. Seemed like everyone had there hand in my pocket each time it moved another 50 miles here. The day I drove to Chicago to pick it up I get told (after I get there) that the container in which it's in is on hold until it can be checked for "mad cow disease". Seriously, but what could I do? I had to leave it. It took another week to get it cleared and of course another trip back to Chicago. The game made it safely however because it was shipped in a wooden crate. These four pictures were taken of it when it was still in the Netherlands and was being crated up in 2002. I shopped it out about 11 years ago I think. One weird thing is that the game never had any chimes in it, not even from the factory as there wasn't even any mount holes on the inside of the cabinet where it would normally be. The wires still had the old Gottlieb factory tape on them and they were neatly string tied to the rest of the wires on the bottom board. Strange huh?
John

canada dry #2 (resized).jpgcanada dry #2 (resized).jpg

canada dry #3 (resized).jpgcanada dry #3 (resized).jpg

canada dry #1 (resized).jpgcanada dry #1 (resized).jpg

canada dry #4 (resized).jpgcanada dry #4 (resized).jpg

#8 6 years ago

You got a great deal on that game. Yeah, you had to ship it from overseas, but the total cost is worth it for that title. Just about everyone on PinballOwners who has one specifies that they will "never" sell it. I'd really like to make my own though, being that I have everything except the playfield and stencil kit.
Boilerman, let's try to get this ball rolling!

#9 6 years ago

I always wondered what the story was on this machine - was it a promotional machine for Canada Dry Drinks?

#10 6 years ago
Quoted from Clnilsen:

I always wondered what the story was on this machine - was it a promotional machine for Canada Dry Drinks?

These pins were made for a contest in France, to promote Canada Dry Soda Pop.

#11 6 years ago

Yupp, I often browse Leboncoin.fr which is the French version of CL and you very often find Canada Dries for sale there.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinslot:

Yupp, I often browse Leboncoin.fr which is the French version of CL and you very often find Canada Dries for sale there.

We'll then there you go JR.

John

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

We'll then there you go JR.
John

I can't read French!

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I can't read French!

Google Translate is wonderful.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Google Translate is wonderful.

Je veux en construire un moi-même.

#17 6 years ago

Hmm. Why so cheap? The English translation is hilarious. Prove that you're the king of the fork and amortized???

#18 6 years ago

That's the price to rent it!

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

you just hafta find the right price

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Avec carillon assemblée

#21 6 years ago

Now some guy in France is thinking, what's with all of the hits on the ad site?

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

Hmm. Why so cheap? The English translation is hilarious. Prove that you're the king of the fork and amortized???

And "the sweet melody of the xylophone ..."

#23 6 years ago

What would a Canada Dry sell for in todays market ?

#24 6 years ago
Quoted from Fred-Sanford:

What would a Canada Dry sell for in todays market ?

There was one listed here on Pinside Market recently for $7k or so.

#25 6 years ago

Anyone have playfield scan image files they could share with me?

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from OTTOgd:

Anyone have playfield scan image files they could share with me?

How much are you willing to pay for them?

#27 6 years ago

If anyone wants to play the game, there was one at the Silver ball Muse Museum in Asbury Park this summer. Fun game but of course same as Target Alpha cool artwork though.

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Found this photo from 2010. This may be the glass I ended up with, but I didn't buy it at this show.

GEDC0072 (resized).JPGGEDC0072 (resized).JPG

#29 6 years ago

I too have a NOS glass that I bought off a old time operator down in Wooster Ohio probably 17 or 18 years ago I'm guessing. Also got a Target Alpha, Free Fall, Vulcan, Jet Spin and a Black Knight from him, all of those of which are long gone but that was the first time I'd seen the CD glass even though I had seen the title listed in the Larry Bieza's price guides over the years and I'd been curious as to what it was exactly. It was after that I decided to put a feeler out for the game itself and about six months later I was contacted from this guy in the Netherlands and that really got things moving along.

John

IMG_0009 (resized).JPGIMG_0009 (resized).JPG

IMG_0008 (resized).JPGIMG_0008 (resized).JPG

IMG_0010 (resized).JPGIMG_0010 (resized).JPG

#30 6 years ago

I would do a TA to CD conversion if I found a glass and there was a PF reproduced . Always liked the art work and obscurity of Canada Dry,

#31 6 years ago

I am not much of an El Dorado, Solar City, Target Alpha fan....That being said, I would buy a repro PF and BG if they were made and have a TA converted complete with paint job. The game is just pure eye candy.

#32 6 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

I am not much of an El Dorado, Solar City, Target Alpha fan....That being said, I would buy a repro PF and BG if they were made and have a TA converted complete with paint job. The game is just pure eye candy.

That's pretty much the whole idea. It's just a "Target Alpha" with different artwork, but I'd much rather look at "CD" than "TA".

#33 6 years ago
Quoted from Rat_Tomago:

That being said, I would buy a repro PF and BG if they were made and have a TA converted complete with paint job. The game is just pure eye candy.

This. Now I just need to convince John to sell me that CD backglass to get it started.

#34 6 years ago
Quoted from SirScott:

This. Now I just need to convince John to sell me that CD backglass to get it started.

I'm sure someone will reproduce the backglass now that they know there is value in it......just like so many other rare titles.....

John

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

I'm sure someone will reproduce the backglass now that they know there is value in it......just like so many other rare titles.....

John

I don't know about that. As I mentioned already, there are NOS ones around, and how many guys will need one for the existing lot of games. Now if the playfield were made, it would make sense to repop the glass too.

#36 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

I don't know about that. As I mentioned already, there are NOS ones around, and how many guys will need one for the existing lot of games. Now if the playfield were made, it would make sense to repop the glass too.

We'll I'm sure that one or the other will get made now that there seems to be a high demand, so cashing in on it for someone is inevitable.......

John

#37 6 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

We'll I'm sure that one or the other will get made now that there seems to be a high demand, so cashing in on it for someone is inevitable.......

John

Along with myself, it looks like I may have drummed up one or two others who might want a playfield. We'll need a lot more demand than that, but it just might happen eventually.

#38 6 years ago

I wish you the best of luck with which ever way you decide to go with this. You gotta start some place I suppose.

John

#39 6 years ago

If a playfield could be scanned then an overlay could be made. I'll gladly patch the files together to help out.

Nice scans of the backglass would be helpful as well. Translites could be made.

#40 6 years ago
Quoted from Dayhuff:

I wish you the best of luck with which ever way you decide to go with this. You gotta start some place I suppose.
John

Thanks John.

#41 6 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

There was one listed here on Pinside Market recently for $7k or so.

7k ? WOW ! Did it sell ?

#42 6 years ago
Quoted from Fred-Sanford:

7k ? WOW ! Did it sell ?

The ad is gone and I can't find it in the archives. Can you completely delete classified ads here on Pinside?

Pinsider Tyamry was the seller, as I recall. I'm presuming it was bought in a private sale.

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

The ad is gone and I can't find it in the archives. Can you completely delete classified ads here on Pinside?
Pinsider tyamry was the seller, as I recall. I'm presuming it was bought in a private sale.

I never posted it here. It was on Mr. Pinball Classifieds.

#44 6 years ago
Quoted from Tyamry:

I never posted it here. It was on Mr. Pinball Classifieds.

So you did. I just found it in my archive of emails from Mr. Pinball. It was a Chris Hutchins (HSA) restoration, so that explains its valuation. Just for posterity, the asking price was $6,500.

I also found two other Mr. Pinball ads for Canada Dry: One from 2014 was in France—where they were asking 2,500 euros—and one from 2011 in Atlanta—where they were asking $550.

Prices are going up!

#45 6 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

So you did. I just found it in my archive of emails from Mr. Pinball. It was a Chris Hutchins (HSA) restoration, so that explains its valuation. Just for posterity, the asking price was $6,500.
I also found two other Mr. Pinball ads for Canada Dry: One from 2014 was in France—where they were asking 2,500 euros—and one from 2011 in Atlanta—where they were asking $550.
Prices are going up!

It's likely that the seller in Atlanta just didn't realize what he had.

#46 6 years ago
Quoted from jrpinball:

It's likely that the seller in Atlanta just didn't realize what he had.

Actually, the seller was @joegrenuk. I don't think this was a hot title six years ago. There's been a run-up in valuation for twilight-era Gottlieb EMs in the last five years, but this was before then.

Here's what the ad said: "Rare export version of El Dorado, Gold Strike, Solar City, Target Alpha, and El Dorado City Of Gold. Nice condition, unrestored, perfect backglass, no/minimal playfield wear"

Man, what a sweet deal it would be today.

#47 6 years ago
Quoted from leckmeck:

Actually, the seller was joegrenuk. I don't think this was a hot title six years ago. There's been a run-up in valuation for twilight-era Gottlieb EMs in the last five years, but this was before then.
Here's what the ad said: "Rare export version of El Dorado, Gold Strike, Solar City, Target Alpha, and El Dorado City Of Gold. Nice condition, unrestored, perfect backglass, no/minimal playfield wear"
Man, what a sweet deal it would be today.

Hmm. Yeah, Joe would certainly know what he had.

#48 6 years ago

G'Day from Western Australia this thread has me excited as I have a TA I was going to use this machine for spare parts as someone has done some bad touch ups on the playfield. May be CPR could be persuaded to do the Canada Dry package. I'm sure with over 7000 TA made there should be enough demand for this title

IMG_2155 (resized).JPGIMG_2155 (resized).JPG

IMG_2156 (resized).JPGIMG_2156 (resized).JPG

IMG_2157 (resized).JPGIMG_2157 (resized).JPG

#49 6 years ago

This debbie downer sez...

BG reproduction would be 250-300 per glass in volume (30-50), PF would be 700 or so in volume (30-50), and the time/labor would be in the 40 or so hours for most first and second timers for the swap, and another 300-500 for the paint on the cabinet, plastics 100, original 'good or bad' copy of the title in the 0-500 range, drop targets (nearly unobtanium, 100-200 bucks a set). This puts the conversion of a TA like so many others into the 1500-2000 range at best.

I personally don't see the value of the effort, but good luck to those that can justify 2K for a copy of a rare original. It seems they are available in NM condition for a lot less.

#50 6 years ago
Quoted from SuperDaveOsbourn:

It seems they are available in NM condition for a lot less

less than 2k, maybe in france. the ones i have seen there were far from mint. the major hurdle would be getting into the states. i was trying that a while back, the logistics were a nightmare.
i would drop 1k on the pf if it was done, but i believe since it has a tie in with canada dry it will never get done due to copy right issues. that is unless it was done on the down low. they would really never know. really what are we talking 20 maybe 30 pf run.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/canada-dry-repro-playfield-its-time-has-come/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.