Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by Nepi23
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BF1A4BFC-8533-4B07-9627-A864789F270B (resized).png
    IMG_20211129_230826569 (resized).jpg
    IMG_20211129_230800321 (resized).jpg
    #1 2 years ago

Can you spray paint wire forms with tremclad (I think this is the same as rust oleum in the USA)? I mean I guess you can, but will it stand up to wear and tear? These things are somewhat pitted and pretty dull from age.

IMG_20211129_230800321 (resized).jpgIMG_20211129_230800321 (resized).jpgIMG_20211129_230826569 (resized).jpgIMG_20211129_230826569 (resized).jpg
    #2 2 years ago

I would. The ball only touches on two VERY tiny points of the bottom metal rails so expect those to wear through the paint but the rest should still look fine.

#3 2 years ago

I would soak them in Evaporust first, then have them powder coated as that will last a lot longer than spray paint.

#4 2 years ago

No, won't last. If you have to, paint them silver, so the wear paths won't show as much.

#5 2 years ago
    Quoted from bluespin:

I would soak them in Evaporust first, then have them powder coated as that will last a lot longer than spray paint.

+1 for the evaporust. After that I give the wire forms a quick once over with brasso or mothers mag polish. I like to finish with some rustoleum clear to help protect it after.

#6 2 years ago

Yeah no way on the paint. The ball will wear the paint and drag it everywhere on the playfield as grime. Not to mention it will look like crap compared with simply cleaning and shining with evaporust and some elbow grease. Taking it to get powder coat or re-chroming is another option.

#7 2 years ago

Evaporust, then clean up with fine steel wool. Then they could be re-plated or powder coated.

Spray paint won't last.

#8 2 years ago

Before I'd try any top coat whether it be paint or powdercoat, I'd clean them with a brillo pad, polish them up the best I could, and wax them. You might be pleasantly surprised how nice they might turn out.

-Paul

#9 2 years ago

No paint, check.

I'll get some metal polish and hope that it does the trick. Chrome isn't really a viable option for 1 little piece, there's nowhere local that does this so I'd be dealing with shipping costs x 2, whatever the costs to chrome a non-commercial order, and the risk of losing a vital piece if something goes wrong along the way.

Thanks for the tips!

#10 2 years ago
    Quoted from pins4u:

I would. The ball only touches on two VERY tiny points of the bottom metal rails so expect those to wear through the paint but the rest should still look fine.

My concern would be little fleks of paint coming off and messing other things up. I think that's why everyone powder coats, since it's much tougher.

#11 2 years ago

Buffing wheel with black crayon, ultrasonic cleaner (have the big one), then Never Dull to keep from oxidation, buff to a shine with a clean rag

#12 2 years ago

Yes, if you use a automotive grade paint and clear coat they will last in a home use environment. I would personally have them powder coated as I can get done pretty cheap at about $5-$10 per piece depending on size.

#13 2 years ago

I have had good luck using aluminum foil to take rust off of chromed parts, use with a little coca cola or other acidic cleaner like purple power or bleach white. After getting the rust off then polish them up with some Novus 2 and they might clean up very well and may not need to be recoated.

#14 2 years ago

You can paint them, but you must paint the balls the same color. That way, when the paint wears off the wireform, an equal amount of paint will be left behind as it wears off the ball.

#15 2 years ago
    Quoted from GregCon:

You can paint them, but you must paint the balls the same color. That way, when the paint wears off the wireform, an equal amount of paint will be left behind as it wears off the ball.

The math checks out.

#16 2 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

The math checks out.

I have had a few messages though saying that paint can work, as long as you clear coat with several coats of poly after to protect it so it doesn't flake off. But powder coat (or chrome) is preferred value wise. Lucky for me, someone in my region might be offering powder coat services soon.

#17 2 years ago
    Quoted from EvanDickson:

I have had a few messages though saying that paint can work, as long as you clear coat with several coats of poly after to protect it so it doesn't flake off. But powder coat (or chrome) is preferred value wise. Lucky for me, someone in my region might be offering powder coat services soon.

Powder coat FTW.

BF1A4BFC-8533-4B07-9627-A864789F270B (resized).pngBF1A4BFC-8533-4B07-9627-A864789F270B (resized).png
    #18 2 years ago

find local powdercoater, not a pinball guy. prob get it done for less than $100

#19 2 years ago

Paint will come off in tiny specs on the playfield. Original brass plating on IJ is very thin and will rub off if cleaned or polished. My experience after trying the first 2 options was to have them stripped, replated in brass, and cleared which is baked on. Many years later they still look great.

#20 2 years ago

I did WMS IJ wireforms by a professional using automotive paints, i.e. not powdercoating. I faced difficulties when I had to strip down the playfield and move the ramps, usually then, when screwing wireform bolts in, the paint started to come off in flakes. Don't do it. Powdercoating is the way to go.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-you-spray-paint-wireforms?hl=pins4u and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.