(Topic ID: 148235)

Can you spot the nickel?

By DirtFlipper

8 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image_(resized).jpeg
    image_(resized).jpeg
    wlnickel.jpgSudburyBigNickel_(resized).jpg
    DSCN4132_(resized).JPG
    Spot_the_nickel_(resized).jpg
    2016Jan02c_001_(resized).JPG
    2016Jan02c_011_(resized).JPG
    2016Jan02b_003_(resized).JPG
    2016Jan02b_007_(resized).JPG
    2016Jan02b_004_(resized).JPG
    #1 8 years ago

Started working on my '32 Keeney "Rainbo" and enjoyed a bit of serendipity this morning. Can you spot the nickel hiding in the game? I did.

Was even one I needed for the collection - bonus!

2016Jan02b_004_(resized).JPG2016Jan02b_004_(resized).JPG

2016Jan02b_007_(resized).JPG2016Jan02b_007_(resized).JPG

2016Jan02b_003_(resized).JPG2016Jan02b_003_(resized).JPG

#2 8 years ago

Great find. 1924 Denver minted 5 cents are more valuable than the Philadelphia. With 5,258,000 struck.

Here is a hint for the rest of you. On the left side.

#3 8 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

1924 Denver minted 5 cents are more valuable than San Francisco

Might want to double check that - S mint is much more valuable for '24.

#4 8 years ago

And then I got pretty excited when I took it further apart and saw all the round metal discs... slugs though! (The magnet was off the coin slide.)

Will be fun to clean up and put back together though. Mostly cabinetry work, so different skill set. No steppers to rebuild!

2016Jan02c_011_(resized).JPG2016Jan02c_011_(resized).JPG

2016Jan02c_001_(resized).JPG2016Jan02c_001_(resized).JPG

#5 8 years ago

always under a piece of wood Nice find.

#6 8 years ago

I own this game as well. Loads of fun!

#7 8 years ago

I like cabinet work. I should have tried to talk you out of this one when I had a pick-up arranged for those other games.

#8 8 years ago

I spotted what looked like a nickel, was this it?

Steve

Spot_the_nickel_(resized).jpgSpot_the_nickel_(resized).jpg

#9 8 years ago
    Quoted from blownfuse:

I spotted what looked like a nickel, was this it?

Winner!

#10 8 years ago
    Quoted from AlexF:

I like cabinet work. I should have tried to talk you out of this one when I had a pick-up arranged for those other games.

Very happy to have kept it now.

#11 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jigs:

I own this game as well. Loads of fun!

Is yours the 10-ball version or the 7-ball? Based on the trade ad and instructions, I'll be looking for glass marbles, two each of the five different colors. Haven't measured the size yet.

#12 8 years ago

It's fun to find old change inside a game, I always look. The biggest coin score I had in a pinball machine was a '59 Williams Rocket that I bought out of an old warehouse about 15 years ago. It still had $5.70 inside it, all silver dimes. I don't know where the money is now but the game is still here.

Steve

#13 8 years ago

7 ball version. Mine came with small ball bearings. I'd love to see what you end up using, my originals seem long gone.

Someone at some point made "springy" legs out of bent 7/8" metal conduit. The result is some crazy addictive nudging and yell out loud fun.

Off to check mine for expensive nickels....

#14 8 years ago

I found 3 silver dimes in a 1963 Big Inning Pitch and Bat. Not a huge score but fun to find. The best part was my uncle gave me the game for free.

I found one silver dime in the bottom of a Pinch Hitter last Summer. Treasure hunting in the bottom of a game that hasn't been shopped in forever is always potentially exciting.

#15 8 years ago

Eagle eyes Steve! Nicely viewed!

I just tried to fix a Bally coin door skin that was severely kicked in. I found over a buck in change none of which was a quarter. All were dimes, nickles and pennies. I could not even figure how it got trapped in there seemed like it would be almost impossible to get there.

#16 8 years ago

Nice condition buffalo with date intact. I found a nice silver japanese coin in an arcade machine once.

#17 8 years ago

Great pick up and I couldn't see the coin!

I bought a roll of 1950's dimes for a woodrail - wow, these things are pricey.

Up until 1964 the silver content is worth $1 in every dime.

#18 8 years ago

I've been finding lots of nickels in my Frontiersman lately. The Williams games only take silver.

DSCN4132_(resized).JPGDSCN4132_(resized).JPG

#19 8 years ago

I bought an Alien Poker project game from the guy that cleans my carpets. He got that game and a puck bowler out of a house where the people were moving and just wanted them gone. He said he opened the puck bowler up and found a bunch of morgan silver dollars taped to the underside of the lane, lucky guy.

#20 8 years ago
    Quoted from Eric_S:

He said he opened the puck bowler up and found a bunch of morgan silver dollars taped to the underside of the lane, lucky guy.

Now you know what to do when Grampa says, "Make sure when I'm gone, that you get the Bowler'

#21 8 years ago

In Sudbury Ontario is the Big Nickel Mine. In 1963 a demonstration mine was dug for tours, 100,000 people a year enter that mine, in the same park. This 5 cent coin is clad with Stainless Steel, has both sides in relief.
    One could not spot their pinball machine under it, if it fell over.
    wlnickel.jpgSudburyBigNickel_(resized).jpgwlnickel.jpgSudburyBigNickel_(resized).jpg

#22 8 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

This 5 cent coin has both sides in relief.

I will gladly trade you two wheat back American pennies for it.

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from Jigs:

7 ball version. Mine came with small ball bearings. I'd love to see what you end up using, my originals seem long gone.
    Someone at some point made "springy" legs out of bent 7/8" metal conduit. The result is some crazy addictive nudging and yell out loud fun.
    Off to check mine for expensive nickels....

Does yours have the original back door? If so, would love to see a picture of it.

From the trade ad and measuring, looks like 3/4" glass marbles will be about right. Just need to find the right colors (and hopefully "translucent" too, as mentioned in the ad).

#24 8 years ago

That is so cool! For a coin- know-nothing....what's it worrh? Regardless, just cool to think that it was put in there forever ago.

#25 8 years ago
    Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Does yours have the original back door?

No, it doesn't.

#26 8 years ago

that nickle has fairly good definition. Must have been under there a long time.

#27 8 years ago

Fun Facts. For America, in 1924.

Average annual Income $2196.00.
    Here are some things that you could purchase with 5 cents back then:
    1 pound of flour, 2 pounds of potatoes, 1/2 pound of rice, 1/2 gallon of gasoline.

#28 8 years ago

I wonder how many people with old games just went and checked under that piece of wood?

#29 8 years ago

I recently started another hobby to add to my list and that's metal detecting. My oldest coin found is a 1942 wheat penny.....I should just pickup older pins and combine the two hobbies...hahaha...nice find(s)

#30 8 years ago
    Quoted from tuffano:

I recently started another hobby to add to my list and that's metal detecting.

Welcome to the club.

#31 8 years ago

I live finding old coins in these older games. I pulled these out of a Chicago coin foreign legion EM gun game. I couldn't believe they were in there considering the game never took those type of coins since it was substantially newer and only accepted $.25 & $1 S.B.A

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

image_(resized).jpegimage_(resized).jpeg

#32 8 years ago
    Quoted from yzfguy:

For a coin- know-nothing....what's it worrh?

Around $100 currently. Which is why I still needed it for the album...

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-you-spot-the-nickel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.