Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by Fishmugger
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 6 years ago

Bought this old Mati Hari from this guy that had in a warehouse for god knows how long for $250 . It looked in pretty good shape with decent play field and back glass. Of course it didn't work but figured I could get it running . Had voltage issues so rebuilt power board. Next mpu was too far damaged (acid like so many of this age ) so bought new mpu board. Worked for about 1 hr then locked a coil on chime box . Didn't notice until I smelled something, shit ! Shut It down and cut off coil. Left pin on as I was working on repairing display then heard another coil buss. It was on the kick out ball launch. Caught this one right away with no damage to coil.

Checked all transistors on driver board and even replaced the transistor on that particular coil just in case . Still stuck on . Checked switch on kick out and it is not stuck . What is going on ? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated .

#2 6 years ago

First step before powering on any Pin would be to test all Transistors and coils.Did you test those coils with a meter?Any diodes on those coils?

#3 6 years ago

Yes checked all transistors which read good. Traced back wire from kick out coil to solenoid driver board and replaced transistor even tho it showed good. Yes coils have diode on them. What I dont understand is why transistor is stuck on . Can a new mpu board be the problem? Any other places I should be looking? New to this hobby and find it very challenging and frustrating . I learn a lot from reading this form . Thanks for quick reply

#4 6 years ago
Quoted from Fishmugger:

Yes coils have diode on them

Test those coils and diodes,I'm assuming they are the old ones that were in the game for all those years.Power off,Set meter on ohms setting place the red probe on coil lug the one with the banded side of the diode.Place black probe on the outer lug nonbanded side with the diode.A reading of 2 ohms or higher should be seen on your meter,Anything less is not good.

To test a diode on a coil you will have to remove one leg of the diode off the coil.Put meter on diode setting.Place black probe on the banded side of the diode and red probe on the nonbanded side a reading of .4 or .6 should be seen on the meter.Reverse the leads and a zero-null reading should be seen on the meter.

BTW,Do all this with the Power Off

To test Transistor set the meter to ohms setting.Place probe on ground and the other probe on the metal tab of the Transistor.If zero ohms(buzz) showing then that means the transistor is shorted/bad.Do this test with the power off.

#5 6 years ago

I had a Stars which the transistors and coils tested good before power up. But after power up all of the transistors started to fail one by one. Replaced them and haven't had an issue yet. Been over a year. My guess is they were just old and couldn't handle the stress of the current any more. Game had been sitting for 25 years.

#6 6 years ago

OK checked the diode on the engerized coil and found bad . You guys are the best and am always learning from this board. Going to Frys buy new diode and replace . Checked all transistors and they were all good. Let ya know if this fixes the problem

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
€ 3.95
Flipper Parts
Multigame
$ 21.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball
$ 30.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside