(Topic ID: 187055)

Can you solder to 12V test point on Rottendog Board?

By Cserold

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by ForceFlow
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Badgerhack_Hookup_Guide-10 (resized).jpg
IMG_6051 (resized).JPG
#1 6 years ago

I have a mod that has an alligator clip it needs connected to 12V test point but I'm using a Rottendog board and it's test points don't have anything protruding to clip to. Could I cut the alligator clip and solder the wire to 12V test point on the rottendog board?

#2 6 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

I have a mod that has an alligator clip it needs connected to 12V test point but I'm using a Rottendog board and it's test points don't have anything protruding to clip to. Could I cut the alligator clip and solder the wire to 12V test point on the rottendog board?

I don't like the thought of alligator clips on test points for permanent mods. Check the wiring diagram and see if there is an open connector position you can crimp a wire to. Another option is to do in an inline splice type connector or a wire nut etc.

Could always add a second 12v power source too and put it in after the line power switch too.

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

I too have my concerns.. Is the test point fused? Whats kind of current can it handle ect..

I would tap into a fused 12v line and then make sure what ever I'm wiring also has a fuse near by to where I tap incase something goes wrong. In the car Audio world the rule was 18" from the source of power put a fuse.

#4 6 years ago

For FT, you can also grab +12VDC off the coin door interface board J5-7 (for a light load mod, anytime a mod has a suspected large current draw, a separate supply is recommended)

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

For FT, you can also grab +12VDC off the coin door interface board J5-7 (for a light load mod, anytime a mod has a suspected large current draw, a separate supply is recommended)

I see the connector here but how do you connect a wire to that? See pic. Thanks!

IMG_6051 (resized).JPGIMG_6051 (resized).JPG

#6 6 years ago

You can connect it to fuse f115 if you want to use the clip, you can built the proper j116-j117-j118 connector or solder it to the board. 1 of those options is a good option!

#7 6 years ago

What is the mod? Is it flipper button lights? If not why would you connect to that?

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from Rock914:

You can connect it to fuse f115 if you want to use the clip, you can built the proper j116-j117-j118 connector or solder it to the board. 1 of those options is a good option!

All my J116 thru 118 are in use. This is the under cab lighting. I tried contacting you via your website.

#9 6 years ago
Quoted from Rock914:

or solder it to the board.

To confirm, I can cut the alligator clip and solder this wire to the 12V test point on the Rottendog board?

#10 6 years ago

No! Send it to me. Did I not include instructions?

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from Rock914:

You did include instructions but you say if I have an aftermarket board then to contact you for how/where to connect the alligator clip to 12v. So here I am.

And the RD BOARDS don't have a place where you can attach an alligator clip to 12v

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from Rock914:

And, sorry, what are you wanting me to send to you? Not following.

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from Cserold:

I see the connector here but how do you connect a wire to that? See pic. Thanks!

Thru hole solder. I wouldn't secure a permanent mod with an alligator clip.

Badgerhack_Hookup_Guide-10 (resized).jpgBadgerhack_Hookup_Guide-10 (resized).jpg

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from wayout440:

Thru hole solder. I wouldn't secure a permanent mod with an alligator clip.

Perfect. Thank you! Will give this a shot. cheers, Craig

2 weeks later
#15 6 years ago

Real Noob electrical question here, if the coin door is 12v is that hole 12v live ? where is the ground line ?

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from alistaircg:

Real Noob electrical question here, if the coin door is 12v is that hole 12v live ? where is the ground line ?

Not sure I understand the question, the ground is marked PWR GND next to the pin marked +12 VDC

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from alistaircg:

Yes and no. 12v is *available*, but only flows if the electrical circuit is completed.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 220.00
Playfields
Pinball Haus

$ 84.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 24.95
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 119.99
Displays
FlyLand Designs

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 60.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Creekside Hideaway, LLC

$ 49.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pixels Arcade Games

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pleasanton, CA
$ 169.00
$ 14.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

12,500 (OBO)
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

6,400 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, CA
$ 225.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
FlyLand Designs

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-you-solder-to-12v-test-point-on-rottendog-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.