(Topic ID: 19180)

Is your current collection larger than your history?

By ovfdfireman

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by kwiKimart
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Have you sold more pins than you own.....is your ownership list on pinside longer than your sold list?”

• Yes, I have kept more than I have ever sold 40 votes
      37%
    • No, I have sold off more machines than I have kept 30 votes
      28%
    • I am a selling mofo, sold list is waaaaay longer 14 votes
      13%
    • I have not sold off any 24 votes
      22%

(108 votes)

#1 11 years ago

I personally own more than I have sold. My current list is longer than my history list. Just curious about you guys?

#2 11 years ago

A few months ago I was even. But the collection list has been pulling ahead of the sold list in the last couple of months. And it is only going to get worse.

#3 11 years ago

Ran into money trouble last year and sold 13 machines...

#4 11 years ago

I would guess space limitations can lead to selling more machines too, sorry to hear you had to sell off so many, that stinks. At least you had something to sell, beats the poor house, or no house right

#5 11 years ago

Yep. I've only had room for 3 pins. Supersonic and Stargate didn't make the cut. Pinbot was sold to pay for STTNG.

#6 11 years ago

My sold list is longer, but I've only been into owning pins for a year and a half, and still trying new machines. So far I have two keepers, that are staying, and won't be sold. I'm keeping my TFTC, and RFM. The others are in the evaluation process.

#7 11 years ago

No, only have 8 left, and somewhere between 50 and 100 have come and went..
    Stopped counting after a few years maybe I should try to make a list..

#8 11 years ago

Well, my has owned in the past list is longer...but so is my wish list, what's worst?

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from aeneas:

No, only have 8 left, and somewhere between 50 and 100 have come and went..
    Stopped counting after a few years maybe I should try to make a list..

You related to B_R?

#10 11 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

I would guess space limitations can lead to selling more machines too, sorry to hear you had to sell off so many, that stinks. At least you had something to sell, beats the poor house, or no house right

Thats one reason I love this hobby, if you need quick money it will always be there.

#11 11 years ago

I've kept a lot of pinballs since '73, sold a heck of a lot more.

#12 11 years ago

I had to sell my collection a few years back due to a divorce and needed money. Only kept my LOTR which I still have. Im now in the re-build process. So yes my sold is more then my current but not by choice at the moment.

#13 11 years ago

Only sold 2 machines thus far. One was an offer I couldn't refuse, the other was a difficult choice between 2 AFMs. I've got a second spider-man at the moment which I'll eventually sell but that's about it.

#14 11 years ago

I've only sold a single machine so far, but I am rapidly running out of space. I'm guessing I will be selling a couple more before the year is through.

#15 11 years ago

No machines sold yet. I'm afraid to, separation anxiety and all that I'm still relatively new so after the work I have into these, I'm married to them. I'm sure that will wear off in time...

#16 11 years ago

My current collection is larger. I don't sell too often as I've sought out most of the games I have. Sometimes I've picked up additonal games in multi-pin deals to work out a better price and then sold them off later. I've also upgraded condition on TFTC and TZ.

#17 11 years ago

Again ,I buy,Fix up and sell. Just can't seem to get that whole sell thing down.

#18 11 years ago

I would think that most people that have collected over 5 years will have a much longer list of sold than current collection. There simply isn't room for all of them....

#19 11 years ago

Sold alot crap ton more than I own since I can only really have 7 set up.

#20 11 years ago
    Quoted from TunaSled:

I'm sure that will wear off in time...

Don't bet on it

#21 11 years ago

I've sold about 5 times what I own... which has paid for the ones I've kept... it was my goal for many years to get to this 'break even' point and I achieved it about 3 years ago... I started about 15 years ago...

#22 11 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

I would guess space limitations can lead to selling more machines too, beats the poor house, or no house right

Most people do not have the luxury of having their own dedicated residence to house their pinball collection, one good thing about it though if you ever have to move out you would have another place to live.

#23 11 years ago

Haven't sold any. I actually have a couple baseballs in addition to what I have listed. Williams 1957 Deluxe and 1962 World Series. I actually gave the 62WS to my dad, but hopefully he won't sell it.

#24 11 years ago

Sold over 100.
    Only have 3 and a VP currently.
    So I would vote on the "selling mofo" section.

#25 11 years ago

I'm about even at the moment, but if rumours are true and Avengers is on its way and maybe a fast and furious pin from SR and the possibility of a new star trek pin things might change, that's another 3 with maybe 2 in my current collection I'd sell but I also have an Avatar LE on its way a Predator on order and on the look out for a mint T2 and Addams so I'll have to say my current collection is going to be multiplying quickly sooner or later.

#26 11 years ago

Bought 411 pins so far and kept 72, check out my history if you want to know which ones stayed and what left.

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

#27 11 years ago

My collection is multiplying again, but don't tell my wife. It's gotten easier since I started parking in the basement garage and gave my 17-yr-old daughter the other garage spot beside my wife's car. My wife is actually a pretty cool chick. I only get an occasional eye roll.

#28 11 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Bought 411 pins so far and kept 72, check out my history if you want to know which ones stayed and what left.
    John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

Was scrolling through list on phone and swear I got a thumb cramp.

#29 11 years ago

I am officially out of the pin selling business. Everything I have at this point is staying until I'm dead or broke. Hopefully there will be one or 2 more purchases down the road, but that's it.

#30 11 years ago

I just rekindled my pinball relationship this year. I went from 0 to 4 pins in the course of a couple of weeks. Been wanting an EBD for more years than I care to number. Played that game in the local arcade, college student center and my local pub.
    Went to a local retro arcade expo and got hooked all over again. Just started tracking down the pins I loved in the past. So many memories tied into those games.

#31 11 years ago
    Quoted from Honch:

there will be one or 2 more purchases down the road, but that's it

Good luck with that! I've made this claim before.

#32 11 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Nice to see someone else with a similar affliction

Hercules, now that's a pin you don't often see in someones collection... that must take up the space of 4 pins at least (either folded up or set up)!!

And a King Kong... now that IS impressive... any idea how many of those were made?

#33 11 years ago

None of the above for me. I've sold three and currently own three.

#34 11 years ago
    Quoted from 30FathomDave:

None of the above for me. I've sold three and currently own three.

I always like it when someone finds a hole in the poll options

With a name like that, surely you need Fathom in your collection...

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from pinballslave:

Nice to see someone else with a similar affliction
    Hercules, now that's a pin you don't often see in someones collection... that must take up the space of 4 pins at least (either folded up or set up)!!

It does take up some space but I've got the perfect spot for it to where its not really taking up as much space as you'd think, plus its a huge WOW factor when people see it.

And a King Kong... now that IS impressive... any idea how many of those were made?

Only nine machines were made, this one is #009. Still looking for Bally's Bigfoot if anyone has any leads on it ?

John P. Dayhuff
    Battle Creek, Mi.
    269-979-3836

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Good luck with that! I've made this claim before.

You're right, probably just kidding myself.

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from ralphwiggum:

I would think that most people that have collected over 5 years will have a much longer list of sold than current collection. There simply isn't room for all of them....

Not true for some of us!! Once I get a new to me pin and put blood sweat and tears into it...I am not very good at getting rid of it...Never have been never will be...just NOT me!!

Phoebe

#38 11 years ago

I am with you phoebe, it's tough to sell a machine you spent months or even years searching for and restoring. The games I sell go in my 4 spots that I use for constant rotation with games like f14, Flintstones, ID4, you know fun games that I like, but get tired of. Try to keep it fresh, but keep my favs

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

I am with you phoebe, it's tough to sell a machine you spent months or even years searching for and restoring. The games I sell go in my 4 spots that I use for constant rotation with games like f14, Flintstones, ID4, you know fun games that I like, but get tired of. Try to keep it fresh, but keep my favs

Yeah (last year, I actually traded 4 (Jungle Lord, Firepower, Scorpion, and Blackout) for 1 (SM) and that was really hard for me I have since picked up the same titles, but they are not restored, so won't be in the lineup soon (except FP) and I really miss Scorpion and BO!!)...but F-14 is one that ain't going anywhere soon! That is one of hubby's faves, I have a PF all Touched up and cleared signed by Steve and Mark Ritchie ready to do a PF swap...just haven't gotten to it yet!

Phoebe

#40 11 years ago
    Quoted from ovfdfireman:

I personally own more than I have sold. My current list is longer than my history list. Just curious about you guys?

Not even close.....I'll never own close To as many as I've sold in the past. Have no desire to be like some of the people featured on "special when lit".

#41 11 years ago

Never selling my TSPP or any other pins I get in the future.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-you-say-you-own-more-now-than-you-have-sold-in-your-collecting-career and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.