(Topic ID: 275389)

Can you safely move a pin in extreme heat?

By IdahoRealtor

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by krazy53
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Coindork.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#15 3 years ago

The short answer is yes.
    That said, you have to be really careful.

Out here during the summer it gets into the 110s pretty much every day.
    If I can I wait until the sun goes down to completely avoid the problem.
    That said I’ve moved many pins between California and Arizona during summertime with no problem.

Make sure the pin is completely wrapped up before you take it outside to move it. Blanket and wrap is fine, but I would try to lay cardboard over the glass before you blanked it. Don’t leave any of the glass or play field exposed or plastics can melt.
    Once again make sure you wrap it inside.
    I pulled a pin out in the driveway one summer to wrap it up and the sun had warped the ramps within minutes. I will never do that again. The glass acts like a microwave and gets hot as hell between the glass and the play field when exposed to direct heat.

I usually fold them up and stand them up in the back of the truck so direct sunlight isn’t hitting the area with the glass or play field.

#16 3 years ago

Oh, one more thing.

Not all cabinets react in extreme heat the same. Stenciled cabinets are fine and can take a beating short term from the sun.

Decaled cabinets are a crap shoot.
    Older original decals are normally fine if you wrap the game up.

New replacement decals can bubble up if in direct sunlight for too long.

Wrap the hell out of it with blankets and wrap and it will be fine.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Coindork.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-you-safely-move-a-pin-in-extreme-heat-?tu=Coindork and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.