(Topic ID: 275389)

Can you safely move a pin in extreme heat?

By IdahoRealtor

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by krazy53
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 3 years ago

By extreme heat I mean ~100 degrees in open bed pick-up for several hours.

I have moved pins before on a hot day, but over much shorter distances. Head folded down with moving blanket on top. Back of head was very hot to the touch last time when I removed the blanket. No damage, but I was concerned about what the internal temp of the pin must have been.

Total trip will be 8+ hours this time. This Saturday. Not sure if seller has enclosed vehicle or not. We are meeting in the middle. My leg is 4 hours.

Who has done this before? Good idea or bad idea?

#2 3 years ago

I have moved arcade games in extreme heat and no problems but a pin I would worry about the playfield. See if the person can meet you half way so that you are driving back when the sun goes down that would save 4 hours heating.

#3 3 years ago

I'd be concerned about the plastics warping a bit and art blades peeling off...

#4 3 years ago

I did a short haul once and playfield got hot enough under the glass to warp some plastics so i say don't do it . I use my suburban now for all moves

#5 3 years ago

Cover that playfield glass. I've witnessed IJ and BSD left open and ramps curled inward.

#6 3 years ago

What machine? A modern Stern? I wouldn't worry about it if it was wrapped.

These machines are shipped all the time. How hot do you think a semi trailer gets in the summer going through the south?

#7 3 years ago

Creature. I wouldnt be concerned if my pin hauler was covered.

#8 3 years ago
    Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Creature. I wouldnt be concerned if my pin hauler was covered.

If your truck was covered with a cap, the contents would still be the same core temperature as in an unprotected bed.

Since you are worried about it, wrap it in a couple of extra blankets with a piece of cardboard over it. You really just need to keep the direct sun off it. You'll be fine.

#9 3 years ago
    Quoted from plowpusher:

I did a short haul once and playfield got hot enough under the glass to warp some plastics so i say don't do it . I use my suburban now for all moves

Did you have a blanket over it?

#10 3 years ago

A white tarp on top would help too. Reflects the heat rather than absorbs. Maybe rent a minivan for the day?

#11 3 years ago

Idea

Put a tarp over the truck bed and run a pipe from your ac vent to the back

#12 3 years ago

Definitely have a blanket over the top of the playfield glass. After you fold the head down, put another blanket over the top of the headbox, then strap down or wrap it as needed. As long as you don't allow any sunlight to hit the machine, you should be fine. I have hauled game(s) myself or with others between Phoenix and LA a number of times, about 6 hour trips in summer, with no issues. I can't imagine there will be much heat issues once you get back into northern California area. Moved a game to Anaheim last weekend. No problem.

#13 3 years ago

no i did not

#14 3 years ago
    Quoted from sunnRAT:

Definitely have a blanket over the top of the playfield glass. After you fold the head down, put another blanket over the top of the headbox, then strap down or wrap it as needed. As long as you don't allow any sunlight to hit the machine, you should be fine. I have hauled game(s) myself or with others between Phoenix and LA a number of times, about 6 hour trips in summer, with no issues. I can't imagine there will be much heat issues once you get back into northern California area. Moved a game to Anaheim last weekend. No problem.

Crazy heat wave in Nor Cal right now 105-110 degrees. I always use blankets. Just wasn't sure with long trip and this crazy heat. You and others have reassured me. Thank you.

#15 3 years ago

The short answer is yes.
    That said, you have to be really careful.

Out here during the summer it gets into the 110s pretty much every day.
    If I can I wait until the sun goes down to completely avoid the problem.
    That said I’ve moved many pins between California and Arizona during summertime with no problem.

Make sure the pin is completely wrapped up before you take it outside to move it. Blanket and wrap is fine, but I would try to lay cardboard over the glass before you blanked it. Don’t leave any of the glass or play field exposed or plastics can melt.
    Once again make sure you wrap it inside.
    I pulled a pin out in the driveway one summer to wrap it up and the sun had warped the ramps within minutes. I will never do that again. The glass acts like a microwave and gets hot as hell between the glass and the play field when exposed to direct heat.

I usually fold them up and stand them up in the back of the truck so direct sunlight isn’t hitting the area with the glass or play field.

#16 3 years ago

Oh, one more thing.

Not all cabinets react in extreme heat the same. Stenciled cabinets are fine and can take a beating short term from the sun.

Decaled cabinets are a crap shoot.
    Older original decals are normally fine if you wrap the game up.

New replacement decals can bubble up if in direct sunlight for too long.

Wrap the hell out of it with blankets and wrap and it will be fine.

#17 3 years ago

Could also rent one of the small U-haul trailers for ~$20 per day. Cheap insurance if you are worried about direct sunlight heating everything up.

#18 3 years ago

I just moved a pin the other day, hour drive in an open bed truck. I put a towel down between backbox and playfield glass, then put a moving blanket over that and wrapped with plastic. Was fine leaving it in the truck rest of the day, even when I left it overnight and it thunder stormed that night. Zero sign of heat damage and didn’t get a drop of water on her either.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-you-safely-move-a-pin-in-extreme-heat- and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.