4 months ago

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 15 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 months ago by spfxted
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 3 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

Screenshot_20181125-003556_Nest (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
frankie thanky (resized).jpg

#1 4 months ago

Hi all! Anyone have advice for me? Looking for a wireless 2 camera outdoor system. Ok to plug in cameras. Not looking to spend more than $350.
Thanks!---Ted

Don't want battery only cameras. (Arlo) (pain in the ass)

frankie thanky (resized).jpg
#2 4 months ago

Nest outdoor IQ cameras. Wireless. USB type c connection to a plug. There is also a Nest outdoor that is cheaper. That one should be under budget for 2
cameras

#3 4 months ago

Just FYi. I have a complete Arol Pro set. Batteries last a good while. So what if I need to charge them every 3-4 months- its a good idea to clean the camera and check the mount regularly anyhow. Wifi signal on these is great and they work well. Just sayin... may be worth rethinking or perhaps you already have electrical to every spot you want a camera.....

#4 4 months ago

I use and like these a lot. If the camera is mounted under an eave or porch you can get away with the indoor version and save some money.

amazon.com link »

#5 4 months ago

Following.
I bought a wired 4 camera version from Amcrest that was working fine for a little over a year but the box died and the company has been pathetic to deal with. Looking to replace now.

#6 4 months ago

Most bad guys cut the telco line before entry

That takes out all DIY wifi cams

#7 4 months ago
Quoted from PW79:

Most bad guys cut the telco line before entry
That takes out all DIY wifi cams

And pretty much all of those wireless cams are notorious for being insecure. As in, it’s relatively easy to hack them and get access to your wireless, then to your network, then to your PCs, etc. it’s all a terrible black hole to crawl down once you start investigating it. Better to just buy something and not worry about it

Lots more info over at ipcamtalk.com

#8 4 months ago

Check out Arlo Pro HD, it has a free 7 day cloud storage...the only one to offer free storage. It also has an excellent picture and night/low light capture.

PS: You can choose wire free or connect ac wire so you don't have to recharge them.

#9 4 months ago

Almost, Blink has free cloud storage for life.

#10 4 months ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

Are you sure, it says only 2 hours of storage?

https://www.reviews.org/home-security/blink-cameras-review/

#11 4 months ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

But only 2 hours of total recording before it starts overwriting. Batteries are good for a total of 11 hours recording, so if you have any amount of traffic at all, they're not lasting the "standard" 2 years, which is definied as 11 hours of recording (5.5 hours per year).

And Blink cameras are only h.264 720p for some stupid reason. h.265 is much less data transmission bandwidth to stream video for recording or viewing. The XT can do 1080p, but still stuck with h.264.

#12 4 months ago

It's not designed to record 24/7. That's not what they do. They detect motion and then start recording for up to 60 seconds. I have mine set to record for 20 sec at a time and it's plenty. 2 hours is 240 thirty seconds clips. Would you rather pay Nest $15 a month? I have literally hundreds of clips stored up and I set it to delete them after 7 days. If you want to save something, it's very easy to send it to your email or a text message. I use them to see who's at the front door, the back door, and keep an eye on the garage when the door is open. The app is excellent and the picture is fine at 720p, no issues accessing clips or receiving them to view seconds after whatever happens. Is bandwidth really an issue these days? "You've got mail!"

#13 4 months ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

It's not designed to record 24/7. That's not what they do. They detect motion and then start recording for up to 60 seconds. I have mine set to record for 20 sec at a time and it's plenty. 2 hours is 240 thirty seconds clips. Would you rather pay Nest $15 a month? I have literally hundreds of clips stored up and I set it to delete them after 7 days. If you want to save something, it's very easy to send it to your email or a text message. I use them to see who's at the front door, the back door, and keep an eye on the garage when the door is open. The app is excellent and the picture is fine at 720p, no issues accessing clips or receiving them to view seconds after whatever happens. Is bandwidth really an issue these days? "You've got mail!"

You're thinking about downstream (from the cloud to your phone). That's no problem for most.

However, upstream bandwidth (from the camera to the storage cloud or directly to your phone) is an issue for likely 80% of the population or more, still. Most packages are not symmetrical bandwidth. Carriers like Spectrum/charter will give you 100mbs down, but 2 or 5mbs up. h264 at 720p will eat up most of a 2mbps stream. DSL and wireless is even worse. So yeah, h.264 is a bad choice. h.265 is the one to have and will likely be more widely deployed in cheap cameras this coming year.

240 clips/year is much less than one 30 second clip a day. It's just about exactly worth the free it costs. For a very low-traffic area it would be fine, but that's about it.

#14 4 months ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Hi all! Anyone have advice for me? Looking for a wireless 2 camera outdoor system. Ok to plug in cameras. Not looking to spend more than $350.
Thanks!---Ted
Don't want battery only cameras. (Arlo) (pain in the ass)
[quoted image]

Im looking for the same thing ....lol

#15 4 months ago
Quoted from rufessor:

Just FYi. I have a complete Arol Pro set. Batteries last a good while. So what if I need to charge them every 3-4 months- its a good idea to clean the camera and check the mount regularly anyhow. Wifi signal on these is great and they work well. Just sayin... may be worth rethinking or perhaps you already have electrical to every spot you want a camera.....

Wow if batteries last that long i may be ok with that

#16 4 months ago
Quoted from vireland:

You're thinking about downstream (from the cloud to your phone). That's no problem for most.
However, upstream bandwidth (from the camera to the storage cloud or directly to your phone) is an issue for likely 80% of the population or more, still. Most packages are not symmetrical bandwidth. Carriers like Spectrum/charter will give you 100mbs down, but 2 or 5mbs up. h264 at 720p will eat up most of a 2mbps stream. DSL and wireless is even worse. So yeah, h.264 is a bad choice. h.265 is the one to have and will likely be more widely deployed in cheap cameras this coming year.
240 clips/year is much less than one 30 second clip a day. It's just about exactly worth the free it costs. For a very low-traffic area it would be fine, but that's about it.

I guess I'm not following. Do you have a limit on your upstream bamdwidth? It's not an issue for me and I've been using these for a couple if years. I don't have the fastest ISP. And it's not 240 clips a year it's about 240 clips total that roll over day to day and hour to hour forever. Free.

#17 4 months ago

You have a limit on your upstream PER SECOND (not total data), you just may not know what it is. Generally an ISP will quote bandwith as 100/5 or something. The first number is the amount of data per second you can download. The second number is the amount of data you can upload per second in megabits (megabytes is that number divided by 8).

The only symmetrical services are usually fiber like Google/CenturyLink, etc. Google is 1000mbps up and down, which is awesome and very rare.

#18 4 months ago

I know, but what else are normal users competing with for upstream? Unless you're running a webserver out of your house....a 20 second clip is about 600kb FWIW. Doesn't seem too bad for HD video.

#19 4 months ago

I've been looking into an IP POE system and hiding the base recording unit/drives.
Plug and go - no changing or charging of batteries for me, I'm getting lazy in my old age.

#20 4 months ago

EufyCam advertises , along with a few others now, I believe.....1 Year Battery, Facial recognition, etc...

pasted_image (resized).png
#21 4 months ago
Quoted from G-P-E:

I've been looking into an IP POE system and hiding the base recording unit/drives.
Plug and go - no changing or charging of batteries for me, I'm getting lazy in my old age.

This is what I'm looking for too, also with the ability to alert me on my smart phone when I'm at work.

#22 4 months ago

I know that Nest has been mentioned. Here is a shot of a clip from an indoor cam placed in a window. Shows my driveway and sidewalk. I have another one in the basement. Does what I need. Easy to use.

Screenshot_20181125-003556_Nest (resized).jpg
#23 4 months ago

I've used Arlo cameras for at least a year at this point. Batteries typically last 3-4 months, less if there is a really active zone, and more if it isn't. Typically you don't want them in an active zone, as you'll wind up with a lot of garbage alerts and video to wade through.. so the beauty of wireless is the ease of moving cameras to find an optimal spot. I have no complaints.

#24 4 months ago

Thanks to you all. After speaking with a few people, I'm probably going to go with the Nest 2 Camera Pack. ($298) EVERYONE said the battery ones don't last anywhere near what is written in the program. If it says 4 months, sometimes they get 2 or 3 weeks. Pain in the ass to change. Luckly the 2 places I want cameras have a plug outlet within a few feet.
With the Nest, you get a few hours for free. For a week or more storage it's $5 a month per camera. I don't need a long time as you get an alert on your phone and then can decide weather to download it or not.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 44.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 495.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
MI Pinball Refinery
$ 35.00
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 29.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 229.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
$ 40.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
€ 6.50
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 99.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 35.00
$ 28.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 129.25
Lighting - Led
The MOD Couple
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 200.00
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball
$ 149.00
$ 5,799.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games
Lighting - Interactive
Hookedonpinball.com
$ 5.00
Playfield - Decals
Doc's Pinball Shop
$ 25.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside