(Topic ID: 219589)

Can you put a monetary number on this damage?

By UFO

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 80 posts
  • 41 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by ypurchn
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

dr-evil-one-million-dollars (resized).png
203C7814-FA96-4986-AC10-7D90BA7CE637 (resized).jpeg
D82EE816-8CB1-4B84-8E16-FF35CC2D11A8 (resized).jpeg
16E19702-C174-4BD5-8D5F-342CE697C757 (resized).jpeg
20160624_143454 (resized).jpg
1iham1 (resized).jpg
2cnnrt (resized).jpg
why-dont-you-just-open-the-damn-box-mario (resized).jpg
giphy.gif
20180620_132943 (resized).jpg
20180620_132929 (resized).jpg
20180620_125022 (resized).jpg
20180620_124211 (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

What spare parts? Are you speaking from experience? When I received a replacement lower cab from Stern it was completely bare. I had to disassemble the entire pin and swap over every single piece and nut.

Perhaps things have changed, but I saw a replacement Aerosmith cab, and it had lockdown bar receiver, plunger, start button, most of the harness, leg bolts, and more.
I saw a video of someone with an AS cab that had the same, but they may have changed policy.

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

He said he did not want to unbox the game on the loading dock.
A freight terminal is super loud, with a greasy black floor, dim florescent flickering lighting, people yelling and HiLos wizzing past.

What? Grease, dirt, shit who cares.
Always open box, even if untouched and pretty. Even if that tilt test isnt activated on box.
Mic drop.

#53 5 years ago

I operate a forklift at my work.

I see these threads with photos of damaged boxes and can't believe how many of these goons get away with operating a forklift.

I'd raise hell on them if I were their supervisor. Or even just their coworker. I've yelled at people for much less than what I'm seeing, especially when $$ and/or safety is at stake.

#54 5 years ago
why-dont-you-just-open-the-damn-box-mario (resized).jpgwhy-dont-you-just-open-the-damn-box-mario (resized).jpg
#55 5 years ago

The guy who delivered mine didn't want to wait around while I tried to get a hold of my distributor on the phone and claimed he had medical stuff on his truck that needed delivered ASAP. If that was truly the case then they should have made that their first delivery. I am normally a very generous tipper but needless to say he didn't get shit.

#56 5 years ago

I would think that in its current condition, the pinball is worth $3000. I would let them know that there is $4000 in damages.

I would not accept a repair estimate, I would ask for a loss of value. Remember, a drop might have moved other things out of alignment that may not be evident yet.

The shipping company (probably) has insurance that will cover the damages... that is why they pay their insurance premium.

#57 5 years ago
Quoted from Scorch:

I would think that in its current condition, the pinball is worth $3000. I would let them know that there is $4000 in damages.

I would think that someone would buy this game immediately at 5k+.
3k?? Is that just your fraud estimate?

#58 5 years ago
Quoted from DNO:

I would think that someone would buy this game immediately at 5k+.
3k?? Is that just your fraud estimate?

I wouldn't.

$5K + parts/labor = might as well just buy a new one.

$3K + parts/labor = might get me to deal with the shit

#59 5 years ago

What's all this parts and labor shit?

Most of us work cheap when it comes to our own stuff. I assume most people here could do a lower cabinet swap on a Saturday with the ball game on in the background.

I'd also agree it's real tough to figure out what the "damage" is. $3000 seems about right to me.

#60 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Most of us work cheap when it comes to our own stuff. I assume most people here could do a lower cabinet swap on a Saturday with the ball game on in the background.

It's like when you get an estimate for a car repair.

You don't say "Ya know, just give me the bumper - I could swap it in my spare time while I watch idiots chase a ball around"

Even if it's just 4 bolts, you let the professionals do the repair for the insurance company.

#61 5 years ago

5k + glue it and screw it!
Great game for route Op, or someone that can deal with some unsightly damage for 2k cheaper.
I didn't say everyone would buy it, but I think someone would. Hell, I might have, but already have a pro on route.

#62 5 years ago

You guys are crazy calling that $3,000 (or more) in damage. I'm all for getting what you're owed, but the cost of the bottom cabinet is nowhere near that much and it's not a 30 hour job to swap the internals. I used to ship arcade and pinball machines. I had to deal with claims a couple of times. They don't care about your perceived loss of value, they'll care about cost of replacement or repair. Since the game is only damaged in that one spot and not demolished, they're going to make you claim for the cost of repair.

If Stern supplies you with a new cabinet for free, you shouldn't claim it as a loss, either. If you get a cab, you are just going to claim the cost of your labor.

#63 5 years ago
2cnnrt (resized).jpg2cnnrt (resized).jpg
#64 5 years ago

If you signed be prepared for you claim to be refused on the basis that you signed for it.
Don’t be surprised when it happens. Shipping company’s screw customers all the time based on this. like others have already said ALWAYS refuse to accept shipment if there is any damage whatsoever to the box/packing. even if there is no damage to the box or a few minor scuffs damage may not be apparent until you completely unpack and set up the machine.

#65 5 years ago

Ok I’ll start the bidding.

I’m in at $4,000!

#66 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Ok I’ll start the bidding.
I’m in at $4,000!

You're offering $4k for the machine, or that's your charge to Greyhound down and fix it for him?

#67 5 years ago
1iham1 (resized).jpg1iham1 (resized).jpg
#68 5 years ago

Wow you never should have taken receipt of that package with a damaged box like that. Unfortunately you own it now! Shipping companies are bastards to deal with. You need to file a claim against them RIGHT NOW! Don't wait....who was it? R&L Freight Carriers?....I think they give you something like 48 hours to file a claim. I don't think Stern will help you much at all with regards to replacement and they certainly won't incur any costs at their expense. This is very unfortunate.....I hope you are able to reach some kind of resolution but shipping companies are ASSHOLES! I had a very similar experience with an Attack From Mars LE Remake but thank god for the vendor and the manufacturer Chicago Gaming & Game Exchange of Colorado they made it all better.

#69 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I'd also agree it's real tough to figure out what the "damage" is. $3000 seems about right to me.

I reeeeeally value doing nothing.

I'm not a baseball fan either

But... even I know the Cubs are assholes

#70 5 years ago
Quoted from creepykenny:

truck-lines specializes in not paying claims, dragging out the process as long as possible

This is a true statement! They give you 48 hours....they will manipulate you on the phone, delay, delay, etc.....and then they'll tell you to file a claim....etc....they will review it for about a month then send you a letter that they are not responsible for the damage because they claim wasn't filed in a timely manner! Some of the mods on this board should put up a STICKY post at the top of these FORUMS....for people who buy a NIB Pinball Machine. THERE NEEDS TO BE AN INSPECTION PROTOCOL FOR A NEWBIE PINBALL BUYER....TO PREVENT ALL NIB PURCHASERS FROM GETTING SCREWED BY THE DAMN SHIPPING COMPANIES!

CMON MODS MAKE SOMETHING UP AND STICKY IT FOR ALL TO SEE!

#71 5 years ago
Quoted from PW79:

I reeeeeally value doing nothing.

I get paid extra for that.

#72 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

freight terminal is super loud, with a greasy black floor, dim florescent flickering lighting, people yelling and HiLos wizzing past.

Don’t forget the burly fork drivers sporting beanies with arm tattoos ready to put the smack down on nerdy white boys picking up their $10k pinball machines...

#73 5 years ago
20160624_143454 (resized).jpg20160624_143454 (resized).jpg
#74 5 years ago

Always send damaged pins back. The hassle to get paid for the damage will not be worth the time or effort and It will not end up in your favor. Unless you like working for free for a very expensive item, just to put it back in original condition. Just return it and have them send a new one. Mine was taken off the shipping pallet and dropped and picked up with a forklift while on its side, for my trouble I was offered $200 discount and a new decal to put on myself. F that, and returned/refused for replacement. Thanks R and L Carriers for great handling of my 9k pin. btw MMRLE #849 stainless trim.

#75 5 years ago

I have seen the animals that work at the loading docks, not a brain among any of them. No excuse in this period, just pure laziness.

#76 5 years ago

I'm sorry. I couldn't resist.

#77 5 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I’ve had enough run-Ins with freight companies that I am not shy to tell the guy to stand by while I open the box and inspect the contents. I open all sides, look for damage. If I see anything I say “sorry man but you’ll be loading this one back on your truck”. Recently happened to me with a dialed in, obvious they dropped it. As bad as I wanted it, I didn’t want a busted one. Back on the truck it went. Fuck these shit ass shipping companies who treat multi thousand dollar items like shit. Fuck em

I should note. I also take plenty of pictures. I snap pics as they roll it out of the truck and lower down the lift gate. I snap pics of the box. I snap pics as I open it. Even if the box is pristine (as was the case of my dropped Dialed In) I always open and inspect. A pretty box means nothing. Open. Inspect. Don’t give in to a rushed driver or pressure. Don’t keep a broken game cause you want it so bad. Fuck those assholes

16E19702-C174-4BD5-8D5F-342CE697C757 (resized).jpeg16E19702-C174-4BD5-8D5F-342CE697C757 (resized).jpeg203C7814-FA96-4986-AC10-7D90BA7CE637 (resized).jpeg203C7814-FA96-4986-AC10-7D90BA7CE637 (resized).jpegD82EE816-8CB1-4B84-8E16-FF35CC2D11A8 (resized).jpegD82EE816-8CB1-4B84-8E16-FF35CC2D11A8 (resized).jpeg
#78 5 years ago
Quoted from Gornkleschnitzer:

I'm sorry. I couldn't resist.

Neither could I!

#79 5 years ago

One Million Dollars!!! No, No, One Billion dollars!!

dr-evil-one-million-dollars (resized).pngdr-evil-one-million-dollars (resized).png
#80 5 years ago

Update?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
St. Charles, IL
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 8.00
Cabinet - Other
Pinball Fuzz

$ 26.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 55.00
Playfield - Protection
Tucson Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 80.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Duke Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

8,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 100.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
JuanSolo's modshop

$ 75.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
FlipMods

$ 40.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
Mt Zion, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 39.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Williamsburg, VA
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 80 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-you-put-a-monetary-number-on-this-damage/page/2?hl=gornkleschnitzer and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.