12 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by system11
  • Topic is favorited by 7 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

autosol.jpg
    flap2.JPG
    flap1.JPG
    #1 12 years ago

How do you make ramp flaps shine again? Can you polish them or is disassembly and paint the only way.

#2 12 years ago

You don't want to paint them. Are you referring to the ones with a blue tint? I believe you would need to re-blue them similar to blueing a gun.

Pinbits also sells new ones depending on your game. http://www.pinbits.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=9&zenid=lj5pgkdr5vc07nmcbqbi54hbc6

I've also heard of a few powder coating them.

Lastly if you don't care about the blue tint you can just sand them and polish them.

#3 12 years ago

It's regarding light corrosion (and dirt perhaps). I was wondering, what could be done to shine them up, without removing them.

I might wanna remove the ramp (with flaps). But removing the rivets and flaps is very tricky business. And I do not have access to rivets as pretty, or correct original style if you will.

#4 12 years ago

I've used some 000 steel wool followed with gun bluing to clean them up. If really bad, and available, I replace with pinbits ss ones.

#5 12 years ago

You can get them looking considerably better. I haven't been able to get them looking new, but good enough that you probably won't notice any problems. I use steel wool followed by Novus 2 to polish. Clean with alcohol, then re-blue the steel. I then polish again with Novus 2 to even out the blueing, and maybe do the whole process again depending on how it looks.

Edit: I think I also used a #428 steel brush in my Dremel to get rid of some of the rust on this one since it was so rusty.

flap1.JPGflap1.JPG flap2.JPGflap2.JPG

#6 12 years ago

Use Autosol and a clean rag.

autosol.jpgautosol.jpg

#7 12 years ago

That stuff is the polish of kings, I mix some with crushed walnut shells for tumbler media - everything comes out shiny

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-you-polish-ramp-flaps and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.