Capture (resized).JPG
pasted_image (resized).png
IMG_0593 (resized).JPG
IMG_0579 (resized).JPG
IMG_0578 (resized).JPG
Capture (resized).PNG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dashingdaryl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Three weeks ago I started messing with my Williams Hot Tip. Since then the "Match" feature stopped working. When I say it used to work, If I was lucky enough to match the last two digits of my score to the match number, I got a free game.

Now it does not work. I think I messed up a switch somewhere. (I was trying to adjust all the ones I thought were out of alignment)

Here are some facts:
The Match feature is turned "On" in the backbox.
The Match Stepper (located in the backbox) continues to step. Each game the match number is one up from the previous game.
This feature stopped working BEFORE I fixed my "Player Credit" stepper
I was also messing with the number of coins = number of games circuit within the three weeks.
I have a schematic and found the circuit, but don't see where it compares the score numbers with the match numbers.

Can someone point me in the right direction?

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from currieddog:

Hopefully easy fix: is the tip in the 'Credit' pos. in Play adj.?[quoted image]

Thanks. Those are set in the proper position. I did unplug and re-plug just in case of a bad connection, but joy

#6 4 years ago

Thanks Howard. I was in the middle of responding to your original email when my boss walked into my office to shoot the breeze.

I haven't tracked down the circuit yet, but I think when I do I will find the misaligned switch.

Otherwise, I will jumper the circuit and report back the results.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Play a four player game and set player 4 (only) to the correct number to Match. Does that player win the free game? if so, the player 1 ten's score reel needs to be disassembled cleaning the wiper onto the bakelite board. Player one gets really dirty and usually the Match feature fails there first. Of course, there are contacts on the 00-90 (player Match) Unit that can be the problem as well.

Thanks for the tip, but that did not resolve my problem. Any other ideas?

#9 4 years ago

Can anyone tell me what relay triggers the Credit system? I think the problem is that the match system works, but the relay doesn't receive a signal to activate.

#10 4 years ago

I noticed that I recently started getting a free game when I should only get a free ball. This makes me think that coil circuit is bad.

In the game if you drop all the tombstones the first time you get the option to land a ball into a kickout and get a free game. If you drop all the tombstones a second time you get a free game if you land a ball in the kickout. Recently my games was giving me a free game instead of just a free ball.

Any idea what circuit I am looking for?

#11 4 years ago

So after reading the posts a few times, it hit me like a ton of bricks, the "Credit Unit Step Up" coil is the one I have been looking for. A good indication is that Howard marked it with a Green Arrow.

Looking through my machine, I can't physically find it. I found it on the schematic and I physically see the "Coin Unit step up" But I don't see the "Credit Unit Step Up" coil.

Can anyone tell me where it is located?

There is only one coil in my machine that is unmarked, so by process of elimination, you would think it is that one. But after I adjusted it, I still did not get the results I wanted. The one that is unmarked is just above the chime unit. The first coil in a line of coils on the right hand side of the machine. Is that it? If not, can you tell me what that one is, so I can mark it?

#17 3 years ago

Man, I feel so dumb. I can't believe I didn't look in the Backbox for the coil. I have been in there before, but I just didn't think to look in there.

Unfortunately I did not find anything obviously wrong.

I did set my machine on "Freeplay" by loosening the spring on the Credit Unit Stepper. Now there is not enough tension to set the credits to zero and it is only able to turn it to "1 credit"

#19 3 years ago

So this sounds dumb, but I am having trouble getting the game to Match. I have determined the order the match counter goes. (80, 30, 50, 10, 00, 40 JUST AS AN EXAMPLE) So if the last game the match number is 80 then the next game the match number should be 30 (which is the next number in the sequence)

But when I hit a POP bumper to increase the counter by 10 points, the match number also advances. So it appears the match stepper continually progresses throughout the game.

So I guess my next step is to map out the match numbers on the stepper and then trigger the score by the score board relay and not the bumper.

Does this sound right to you? Got any ideas on another way to do it?

Testing has been frustrating since I can't get the match to happen on a consistent basis.

1 week later
#23 3 years ago

Thank you all for your tips. Based on your suggestions, I have had pretty good luck with matching every game.

The first thing I did was write down the match order the numbers appear.

Then I took off the Play Field glass and hit a bumper consistently to see when the match number changed. The match number changes every time the 10's digit rolls over to 0.

I made a note of the most obvious trace on the Match Stepper and equated it to a match number (80) Now when I am on the last ball, I look at the Traces and count how far off the current pointer is. I use that number to determine how far past 80, the match number is. I match that number on my match sequence chart and can determine what the match number will be.

#24 3 years ago

When my number matches, I hear a sound in the back box. I am pretty sure the sound comes from the Credit unit. I believe the credit unit is energizing, but does not have enough power to active. Since it does not activate all the way, the knocker does not sound.

If I "play" the game with the glass off and I set it up to get a free game as a bonus, the Credit Unit does activate and the knocker sounds

Any ideas?

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

[quoted image]

Howard I tried to do jump the "credit unit step up" but I can't figure out what to jump.

Any suggestions?

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
#26 3 years ago

While we are on the subject, can anyone tell me what this unmarked relay does?

Capture (resized).JPGCapture (resized).JPG
#29 3 years ago
Quoted from Runbikeskilee:

That's the game over relay. There should have been a little sticker on the metal plate itself.
[quoted image]

THAT IS AWESOME! I also think that is the solution to my problem since I recall messing with the contacts on this relay (along with others) before the problem started.

The missing sticker says "MATCH" and "tip?" with arrows. What do the arrows point to?

#32 3 years ago

Yes, Rocket... is correct. The sticker reads "Latch" and "Trip" and it would make more sense (to me and the previous poster anyway) if it was rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise. The sticker is attached firmly on my machine and I have not tried to peel it off and reorient.
The latch coil is the Z27-100, while the trip coil is the M28-700. You can verify that on your schematic.

That makes much more sense. Thanks!

#33 3 years ago

That very make/break switch is the bottom-most switch in the photo I provided in post 27.
From your post 24, it sounds like you have a weak signal coming through the match circuit and that signal is not enough to fully activate the credit unit step up. That usually means you have dirty or misadjusted switches or contact faces somewhere in the circuit that are effectively raising the resistance.
Please start with that make/break switch on the game over (latch-trip) relay and inspect it for clean contact faces and solid contact. When the armature plate of the latch coil pulls in, the middle switch blade should move to firmly rest against the upper blade (see photo in post 27). When the armature plate on the trip coil pulls in, that middle blade should rest firmly on the lower blade.
Lee

Thanks Lee, that was exactly what the problem was. If you look at my photo compared to yours, you can see the leaf switch has a larger gap. Though the other switch made contact when the game "matched" the contact was not "good enough" to trigger the credit assembly.

By using my new leaf switch tool, I was able to align it properly and resolve the issue.

#34 3 years ago

THANK YOU ALL (Howard, Lee, Curried, Rocket, MrBally) for your input. I TRULY appreciate it.

For awhile there I was about to give up, thinking the problem might not be worth the time to resolve. Thanks for hanging with me.

Daryl

#36 3 years ago

Hey Lee, out of curiosity, how did you know it was the leaf switch at the bottom? Experience or did you read it on the schematics? If so, could you give me the Letter/Number reference so I can look it up myself?
Runbikeskilee

#38 3 years ago

Thanks man. That will give me something to ponder. I looked up the circuit, but I need to "work out in my mind" what I am looking at on paper compared to what I am looking at in the box.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dashingdaryl.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-you-please-help-me-with-the-match-circuit-on-my-williams-hot-tip?tu=dashingdaryl and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.