(Topic ID: 195753)

Can you make Money putting machines on Location?

By Da-Shaker

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 114 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by pinaholic
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0365 (resized).JPG
    20170815_000218 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 6 years ago

IN short, yes you can make money.

Longer answer, it will depend greatly on your location/town/games/etc...

As others have said, do it for the love of pinball and it is all good. If you are legitimately doing it to make money, then you could make more cash doing almost anything else with your time. I kept track for a short while and time/$$$ invested vs payout was so small I quickly stopped paying attention to the time spent.

The rewards are in meeting new people, sharing pinball with them, and seeing that spark when they figure out 'it"

#33 6 years ago

I whole heartedly encourage anyone to give it a try that is going in with the right attitude up front.

There are some people showing an 18 month payoff on games (That SWpro thread) and that would be a dream come true for most.

Others I have spoken to the payoff is MUCH longer.

#35 6 years ago
    Quoted from DanQverymuch:

This discussion even has me thinking about routing some games. The big question I have is when one outfit has a pretty exclusive lock on an area, how can you get in? Even if they aren't supplying pins, they'll say you're taking away from darts, pool, vids...

often, other operators are happy to have someone come in that is ONLY doing pins. Dan, we can talk more about this if you want some pointers in person.

in short, most operators know that pinball is the least return. However, many bars request pins so it can be a win/win.

#40 6 years ago
    Quoted from ryanwanger:

Back in the 80s, the payoff time really mattered, since when you were done with a machine, it got chucked in the trash or given away for next to nothing. These days, your machine will only likely lose a few hundred dollars in value...at most. It may even go up.

I have 2 friends that operated in the 90s. The number 1 issue they had to deal with....

Coin jams because the coin box was too full!!!!!!!!!! EVERY WEEK!!!!!

1 place had 4 TAF all lined up in a 20 pin row and they were emptying the $400 in quarters form each one once a WEEK!!!!

4 month payoff must have been amazing!

#87 6 years ago

the worst (to fix) story I know of is one operator being pissed at another back in the early 90s. He took a can of Great Stuff and unloaded it through the coin doors of a few of his rivals games.

I saw 1 such game in an old barn and was told this story. The game was not pretty.

#89 6 years ago

important advice if you do decide to put games out

Buy some new coin mechs. Mechs are a PITA and always nice to have some nice new spares to easily drop in so you can take the old one home to ultrasonicate/clean and adjust.

Put new beer seal on old games. Reality is that even well intentioned pinheads sometimes spill entire beers on games. A fresh beer seal and properly adjusted lock down bar can mean the difference between a hell of a mess and not a big deal.

#94 6 years ago

did you catch the person that did it?

or did it happen spontaneously?

#98 6 years ago
    Quoted from Chrizg:

The person who did it called me no apoligized and it was a local pinball guy. He said his wedding ring prob did it when he smacked the glass. Said he would pay for the repairs, but it is just a cost of doing business as far as I'm concerned. It was cool he called me. Game needs a full shop anyways...

very cool he took ownership of it. sucks, but that is cool.

I bet he will never smack a game again

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider whysnow.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-you-make-money-putting-machines-on-location?tu=whysnow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.