(Topic ID: 195753)

Can you make Money putting machines on Location?

By trk12fire

2 years ago

Topic Stats

• 114 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pinaholic
  • Topic is favorited by 21 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 2 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_0365 (resized).JPG
    20170815_000218 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider trk12fire.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

Hello,
    I was born with pinball machines in my house. I currently own 4 in my own home, along with 1 additional game I rotate. I rotate, fix and turn games every couple months. It's fun, and I can put an additional machine in my house. However, I always want another machine. My local area has beat up machines that don't even function and the owner of these machines leases them to the business and does no maintenance. The pizza parlors, movie theaters and bowling alley that have the machines are not happy. They're asking me if I'd like to put up my own machine there. That way I could take care of it (which I enjoy) and split the profit. It seems like we split the profit 50/50, but I pay for the machine. I'm guessing each machine will get an average of 2000 plays a year. So I would make 1000 per year, but I pay 6000 for the machine. My question is- Is there money to be made or am I just trying to satisfy my addiction.

#2 2 years ago

If so, What pinball machine would you recommend?

#4 2 years ago

Thank you Thrill,
    I've read that forum and it seems that he just recently started getting his money back. however, when he sells it there would be an additional 3500-4000. That's one of the machines that I own and am thinking of putting on location.

#6 2 years ago

Great info, thank you. I was thinking 50/50 wouldn't work. An 80/20 split would work for me, but the businesses are getting 50/50 now, along with crappy non-functional machines. The balls don't even shoot, haven't been cleaned in years and they have a bunch of bad optos. I planned on buying a Star Wars premium, but I'm not sure if it's worth paying the extra cash for the premium. I just sold my last IM, but I can probably utilize my ST Pro.

#15 2 years ago

Thank you for all the response. I enjoy making the machines pop. Would anyone suggest adding led lighting, speaker lights or under box lights to attract more customers? Ultimately, I think my machine choices would be ST Pro, SW and MET. I do like machines that are easy to clean and maintain. That's why I wish I had kept my IM. I just spent 12 hours replacing all the optos on my ST. Also, I do like the idea of purchasing a Rob Zombie, but I'm worried about maintenance. I'm more familiar with Stern. Are the electronics much different?

#23 2 years ago

I have a business license. Where do I go to find out zoning issues. There is no machines at my first location, only machines in the area. The other locations have machines that they aren't happy with, but I'm not sure if there's a contract involved. Also, could the locations insurance cover the machines or possibly someone injuring themselves on it?

#52 2 years ago

Funny you mentioned that Zen. That is one of the suggestions I made. 50/50, minus 15% for repair. I'm really focusing on one establishment. He has enough room for 3 machines and our town really needs them. If I was able to place my machines into 1 location, it would be easier for me to maintain them. Also, I could create an atmosphere and have tournaments. It's in a bar/cafe attached to the movie theater. He wants to drive people coming in and out of his theater into his bar/cafe. I checked it out today and he has plenty of room, but not many people coming in. I guess that's where I come in.
    I'd really like to get a Rob Zombie in there too. Does anyone have any pros or cons on this machine. I know it's a little scary, but when I played it I really enjoyed it. I'm more worried about maintaining it and the mechanics.

#66 2 years ago

Are those ugly cross bar locks that go across the coin door a must have? I'd hate to put one on my machine.

#71 2 years ago

That's probably the scary honest truth Playboy. I think if you had enough machines on location that were well taken care of, Pinheads would come. If you only had 1 or 2 then you would only get a Pinhead every now and again.
    Thank you Brew, I kind of knew that, but I needed to be told.

#76 2 years ago

I love this clash of Pinball Nerds we are and whom I can speak with. I want to thank everyone for their input. This is all very helpful. Fore, I have an addiction and it is Pinball. There are worse addictions, but this is mine.

#79 2 years ago
    Quoted from LTG:

You are more than welcome. Learn as much as you can. So you have the best chance at success. I hope you do great out there. And welcome to the wonderful world of operating.
    LTG : )

Thank you,
    Honestly I don't think I have a choice. I really feel the need to buy more machines and make them shine. I'm tired of all these broken down machines in our area. This is BS! I completely understand that it doesn't make much. I'm doing it to have nice machines in my area. I'm hoping to enjoy this with other family members and friends. I'm just not sure how many more people look at www.Pinballmaps.com like I do, to find where the machines are located. Compared to casuals just coming in.

#80 2 years ago

Now that we have an answer, There is very little money putting machines on location. Can we talk about, what we have to do to keep our machines running on location. I'll be honest, I'm pretty good about fixing the playfield, but I'm constantly learning about how to fix the CPU and Driver Board. I have some friends that work on radios and solder a lot. I've been going to them to learn how to best test and solder. I think they've all been sniffing to many solder fumes, but they help me solve problems. What are the most common issues behind the back glass and how often do they happen?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 7,499.00
    Pinball Machine
    Deadpool Premium Out of stock
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 7,599.00
    Pinball Machine
    Operation Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 25.00
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 399.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Top-Notch Target Shields
    $ 67.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 22.50
    $ 18.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 249.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballBulbs
    $ 120.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    G-Money Mods
    $ 5,799.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    $ 269.00
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 18.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 79.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pixels Arcade Games
    $ 24.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Hookedonpinball.com
    $ 159.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    Displays
    PinballSolutions.eu
    $ 35.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider trk12fire.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside