(Topic ID: 195753)

Can you make Money putting machines on Location?

By Da-Shaker

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 114 posts
  • 42 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by pinaholic
  • Topic is favorited by 24 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0365 (resized).JPG
    20170815_000218 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ltg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 6 years ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I'm guessing each machine will get an average of 2000 plays a year.

Guessing isn't good in business. Starting out you'll have to learn as you go.

Quoted from Da-Shaker:

What pinball machine would you recommend?

You'll need to learn that too. What players at different locations like.

Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Would anyone suggest adding led lighting, speaker lights or under box lights to attract more customers?

Might attract. Won't make any difference in the cashbox.

Learn all you can to have the best chance at success.

And don't forget the little things like licenses, zoning issues, get your own insurance so you don't get sued into oblivion. Is there already an operator in the location ? If that op has great games there, he'll have a contract and won't allow competition from his income. And think of the hours needed for cleaning, service, emergency calls to get to location. Is that time you want to spend away from your family ? As opposed to what you might actually make ?

Best wishes as you move forward.

LTG : )

#26 6 years ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I have a business license.

May need more. On your business, on you, on each game.

Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Where do I go to find out zoning issues.

And license requirements. The city you plan to do this in has a city hall. There will be a license division there. You go there, and they can help you find out what is all required and what you can and can't do.

#28 6 years ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Also, could the locations insurance cover the machines or possibly someone injuring themselves on it?

No matter what they have, say, or do. DON'T RISK IT. Get your own. Or be prepared to kiss everything you own goodbye.

#57 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mogg:

I'd like to know some of the darker stories.

You mean like your pin involved in a brawl ? Someone loses a ball and picks it up three feet in the air and slams it down ? Use a randall or Bowie knife to carve the cabinet. Dump a gallon of bleach on it ? Or simply steal the whole machine ? Pick axe through the playfield glass and into the playfield ?

Lest I forget, break open the coin door. Thieves aren't always the smartest like stick a screw driver in the frame and pop the door open, some will slam a crowbar into the corner of the cabinet and break the whole front off.

There isn't anything you can think up that hasn't been done to a pin.

#64 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mogg:

Pull your games from facility ?

My experience is from my Father's arcade and the one year I worked for a big operator. So usually you leave the game, unless you haul it in for repair and return it.

Quoted from Mogg:

Put a claim with your insurance?

Have your rates go up ? Not worth it.

Quoted from Mogg:

The facility insurance?

If it's a great location, no.

Quoted from Mogg:

Have a mean conversation with someone in charge?

Depends on location. That may not be the best idea you ever had. You might incur bodily harm trying that one.

Quoted from Mogg:

Keep repairing game if it earns?

Until there is nothing left.

Quoted from Mogg:

Sell game on pinside?

My experience was probably 30 years before Pinside, but great idea !

#65 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mogg:

Is it too big of a question to ask what the contract entails?

Ops with contracts can best answer that. It could include many things. Who pays for license. How the money is divided. If anyone else can have anything coin operated in there. Etc. Etc.

Each contract can be different. And vary from state to state, and even different in other countries.

#70 6 years ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

Are those ugly cross bar locks that go across the coin door a must have? I'd hate to put one on my machine.

Yes. No. Depends. Might deter opportunists, might make people think there is something in there worth breaking into. Might make the location look like a "tough" location.

It's a case by case decision.

#72 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mogg:

Sorry I'm the village idiot here, what license needs to be paid for?

No you aren't. You are seeking information. That is smart.

This can vary from state to state, county to county, city to city. Costs of needed licenses can vary too. Many cities haven't changed coin op licenses from the slot machine days. So they can be very expensive. The licenses are usually yearly. Though some cities use stamps on the game, so if you swap it for another game, time for a new license.

The requirements can be from none needed ( rare as every city has a planing commission now, even private clubs aren't exempt ) to a lot of different ones. They might want a license on the operator, his business, the location, and each machine.

Any city you want to operate in, you take yourself to city hall in that city ( and other cities if you operate in more than one ) and go to the license division and ask. And check into zoning issues too. You may have to be so many feet from the nearest church, or school. You may need so many feet of retail space for each machine. Etc. Etc. There may be areas where you can't operate too. And limits on your hours, and all kinds of neat surprises.

And I wouldn't try and operate without licenses or checking the zoning ordinances. Many cities deal in big fines, and or confiscate the equipment.

#73 6 years ago
    Quoted from playboywillis:

Ive wondered about this. Say one OP maintains his games and one doesnt. A couple pinheads in the aread play NotOps games and theyre always broken. Four of us put $1 apiece in and never go back to your three games. We go to other OPs place and put $5 a week in there every week.

Do you care? Will enough casuals come along to broken game that you dont give a shit compared to guy across the street who may get pinhead money buy not casual money?

You raise some interesting points. And there isn't one easy answer. For customers, you are dealing with the general public.

While I think if a pinball machine is on location, it should be clean, working, updated software, etc.

But truth be known, a pinball machine left to rot, still earns. And may do better than a maintained one. Especially if you factor in the service costs.

It is the weirdest most F'd up market out there right now that I've ever seen. I only have my arcade, right now with 19 pinball machines. I try to have great games, I keep them up. You have a problem with a game, I'm always there to help you, fix it, refund your money, what ever.

Yet time and time again I have customers telling me about other places, and how great they are, and what they all have. Even though I know many of them don't maintain their games, or have someone there to help you if you have a problem with a game. I've even had customers ask me to go to these other places and fix the pinball machines there.

You know, I do give a shit. But it gets harder ever year, when people like getting F'd and support places that do it to them.

When a person comes through my door, I welcome them. If they get change, I'm the change machine, I get them what they want. And tell them if they have any problems or questions to please let me know. If they start talking pinball, I talk pinball with them ( except for that one guy on Reddit ) and when they leave, I thank them for stopping in. I appreciate anybody that walks through my door.

#75 6 years ago
    Quoted from Mogg:

I'd much rather just be a customer at someone else's pinbar, but no one else is doing it.

I wish you every success. For you, and a thank you for promoting and supporting pinball !

#77 6 years ago
    Quoted from Da-Shaker:

I want to thank everyone for their input.

You are more than welcome. Learn as much as you can. So you have the best chance at success. I hope you do great out there. And welcome to the wonderful world of operating.

#99 6 years ago
    Quoted from PinSinner:

My question is, does the bar owner/business owner have a key to access the game?

Usually, no.

#102 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Lloyd, I don't know the competition you are speaking of, but can the answer to this mystery be as simple as "the other place lets me drink a beer while I play their shitty pinball"? Does it come down to that?

I don't think so. When I talk to them, most don't seem to drink in these locations. I ask simple things like how much is a drink, do they have a happy hour, what kinds do they have ? And usual response is "I dunno".

I know for me, if I had beer, I'd lose much more than I'd ever gain.

#106 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Lloyd, is it also possible the information you have on how well the other guys are doing is just not accurate?

I don't believe I mentioned how good the other guys are doing. I'd have no knowledge of that. I posted about where I know players do go. I was responding to a posters question about whether maintained or not maintained games earn more. In the past, I did see the numbers of some machines that did the same, maintained or not.

Quoted from frolic:

I'm just trying to offer some alternative thoughts to why this makes no sense.

I've spent a life time in this industry, the likes and dislikes of customers is more of a mystery than making any sense.

#110 6 years ago
    Quoted from frolic:

Well, Lloyd, if you were anywhere near me you'd see my smiling face every week .

Well now I am going to have to consider moving. Thank you !

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ltg.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/can-you-make-money-putting-machines-on-location?tu=ltg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.